Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones mistook Police as cops
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 15, 2010 13:52

The Stones mistook Police as cops
By WENN.COM
Last Updated: October 15, 2010 4:50am

The Rolling Stones' guitarists Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards. (Reuters file photo)

Wrestler and entertainer-turned-politician Jesse Ventura once worked as a bodyguard to the Rolling Stones and witnessed one of Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards' most embarrassing druggie moments.

The former Minnesota Governor led the band's security detail when they came through his home city Minneapolis in 1978 and 1981 and he still chuckles about one on-the-road tale.

He tells BlogTalkRadio.com, "Keith and Woody were in the dressing room and their manager burst in and said, 'The police are here.' Keith said, 'Wood and I are flushing everything down the toilet,' and 30 seconds later in walks Stewart Copeland and Sting!'"

But Ventura insists his hero Richards' reputation as a drugged-up rocker is not accurate.

He adds, "He's the heart and soul of the Rolling Stones. Everybody assumes he's such a drug burn-out but he's exceptionally smart. He plays a role letting people think, 'Oh, just old numby Keith,' but not at all."

And Ventura admits one of the highlights of his time as Minnesota Governor was giving the band their own official state day: "My first proclamation as Governor was in February, 1999 and I officially declared it Rolling Stones Day in Minnesota. The Stones were there that night playing and they got the proclamation.

"Keith Richards walked up to me that night in his cockney accent and he said, 'So you used to bodyguard us back in '78 and '81, huh?' And I said, 'Yep,' and he said, 'And now you're the Governor... f**kin' great!' I'll always remember that."

[www.torontosun.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-15 13:57 by Edith Grove.

Re: The Stones mistook Police as cops
Posted by: kait ()
Date: October 15, 2010 14:23

if i'm right, this is also written in wood's biography

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: October 15, 2010 18:20

Very funny----Thanks, Now thats a classic...ha.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: October 15, 2010 18:22

I've read that William Burroughs thought the same thing when he was introduced to them at some party.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 15, 2010 18:33

Bill always had more fun with The Police anyway...

(photo Danny Quatrochi)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-15 18:50 by Munichhilton.

Posted by: copsnrobbers ()
Date: October 15, 2010 19:23

That's funny....

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 15, 2010 19:31

Ronnie told this story in the book he wrote with Bill German, THE WORKS. A fun anecdote and one that probably happened to many bands whenever The Police were backstage.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home