Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Rolling Stones Vinyl Boxsets to be released in November!
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 11, 2010 01:18

If you want to make a lot of profit out of the Stones back catalog you have to released stuff well-thought-out, and that's what ABCKO is doing.

Problem is that if they wait to long to open the vaults, I'm not interested anymore.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 11, 2010 02:49

Is that a good price? It is so if you think it so.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 12, 2010 10:38

ABKCO Records and Universal Music Group have announced they'll join forces to offer two vinyl box set collections spanning over 40 years of the Rolling Stones' career to be released in November.

The box sets include 23 original studio albums, two "Big Hits" collections as well as two rare EPs. The sets will be released on November 22 in the UK and November 23 in the U.S. and Canada.

"The Rolling Stones 1964-1969" vinyl box set is a limited edition numbered box set collection that chronologically features the Stones' early U.K. releases. The set includes nine re-mastered Rolling Stones studio albums, two remastered EPs, plus two "Big Hits" collections. It will include "The Rolling Stones" (EP), "The Rolling Stones," "Five by Five" (EP), "The Rolling Stones No. 2," "Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)" and "Through the Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2)."

The first five titles in the set are presented in their original mono format. "Through the Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2)" is included with its original octagonal cover and artwork intact. "Metamorphosis" is also included.

Some of what will be included in the second volume, "The Rolling Stones 1971-2005," are "Sticky Fingers," "Exile on Main Street," "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll," "Tattoo You" and "Bridges to Babylon."

The two volumes will be marketed jointly by ABKCO and UMG and span the band's output from the dawn of their recording career in early 1964 to "A Bigger Bang," originally released in 2005. Pressings will be180-gram virgin heavyweight vinyl.

The lists of titles in the two sets:

The Rolling Stones 1964-1969 Vinyl Box Set

The Rolling Stones (EP)*, original U.K. release January 10, 1964
The Rolling Stones*, original U.K. release April 17, 1964
Five By Five (EP)*, original U.K. release August 14, 1964
The Rolling Stones No. 2*, original U.K. release January 15, 1965
Out Of Our Heads*, original U.K. release September 24, 1965
Aftermath, original U.K. release April 15, 1966
Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass), original U.K. release November 4, 1966
Between The Buttons, original U.K. release January 20, 1967
Their Satanic Majesties Request, original U.K. release December 8, 1967
Beggars Banquet, original U.K. release December 5, 1968
Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2), original U.K. release September 12, 1969
Let It Bleed, original U.K. release December 6, 1969
Metamorphosis, original U.K. release June 6, 1975
*Denotes recorded in mono

The Rolling Stones 1971-2005 Vinyl Box Set:

Sticky Fingers, original U.K. release April 23, 1971
Exile On Main Street, original U.K. release May 12, 1972
Goats Head Soup, original U.K. release August 31, 1973
It's Only Rock 'N Roll, original U.K. release October 18, 1974
Black And Blue, original U.K. release April 20, 1976
Some Girls, original U.K. release June 9, 1978
Emotional Rescue, original U.K. release June 23, 1980
Tattoo You, original U.K. release August 25, 1981
Undercover, original U.K. release November 7, 1983
Dirty Work, original U.K. release March 24, 1986
Steel Wheels, original U.K. release August 28, 1989
Voodoo Lounge (2 LPs), original U.K. release July 11, 1994
Bridges To Babylon (2 LPs), original U.K. release September 29, 1997
A Bigger Bang (2 LPs), original U.K. release Sept 5, 2005

The Rolling Stones 1964-1969 Vinyl Set
Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: October 12, 2010 07:37

I posted this before I found this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-12 17:11 by Happy Jack.

'New' beauties
Posted by: wope ()
Date: October 12, 2010 11:08

HOT OFF THE PRESS AND READY TO ROLL THIS NOVEMBER

THE ROLLING STONES 1964-1969 & THE ROLLING STONES 1971-2005

RE-MASTERED VINYL BOX SETS

RELEASED 22 NOVEMBER 2010

London - For the very first time in the history of the “World’s Greatest Rock ‘n’ Roll Band” The Rolling Stones, ABKCO Records and Universal Music Group have joined forces to offer two vinyl box set collections spanning over 40 years of The Rolling Stones’ career. The box sets include 23 original studio albums, two “Big Hits” collections as well as two rare EPs. They will be released on November 22 worldwide (and November 23 in the U.S.). The Rolling Stones 1964-1969 and The Rolling Stones 1971-2005 Vinyl Box Sets offer the consumer a wealth of great Rolling Stones music, much of which hasn’t been available on vinyl for a considerable period of time.

The limited edition numbered box sets chronologically kick off with The Rolling Stones 1964-1969 Vinyl Box Set, a collection that encompasses the Stones’ early U.K. releases. The set includes nine re-mastered Rolling Stones studio albums, two remastered EPs, plus two “Big Hits” collections. It's the first vinyl reissue in decades for The Rolling Stones (EP), The Rolling Stones, Five by Five (EP), The Rolling Stones No. 2, Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass) and Through the Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2).

The first five titles in the set are presented in their original mono format affording, for the first time in years, an opportunity for Stones fans to enjoy re-mastered versions of the tracks “I Can’t Be Satisfied,” “Time Is On My Side” (Version 2) and “Down the Road Apiece” as originally released. Through the Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2) is included with its original octagonal cover and artwork intact. Metamorphosis is also included in the set; the album was first released in 1975 but is wholly comprised of tracks recorded from the early-to-late sixties. The inclusion of the band’s original two “Big Hits” collections was mandated by the fact that U.K. album releases in that era most often did not include contemporaneously released hit singles.

The world really was The Rolling Stones’ oyster in the seventies, as their escapades made headlines around the world from the French Riviera to Switzerland and via the U.S. and Canada. They performed groundbreaking concerts in arenas and moved effortlessly into open-air stadiums. They stuck their collective tongue out at the British establishment and became citizens of the world.

They set up their own label and made the most of their new-found artistic freedom and, most importantly, they issued a series of definitive studio albums: Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main Street, Goats Head Soup, It’s Only Rock ’n’ Roll, Black And Blue and Some Girls. They partied at Studio 54, came up with dance-floor hits “Miss You” and “Emotional Rescue,” and recorded in Paris, Nassau, Jamaica and New York.

The eighties saw the band stretch the envelope further still, working with jazz great Sonny Rollins, film directors Julien Temple and Michael Lindsay-Hogg, and producers Chris Kimsey and Steve Lillywhite on classics such as Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You, Undercover, Dirty Work and Steel Wheels.

Throughout the next two decades they filmed with Scorsese, recorded with Don Was and released further groundbreaking albums--Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon, right up to 2005’s triumphant A Bigger Bang.

Fans now get a chance to rediscover many of their past favorites and unearth some forgotten gems along the way too …all re-mastered and sounding better than ever.

The two volumes, a compendium of the band’s U.K.-released studio recordings, will be marketed jointly by ABKCO and UMG and span the band’s output from the dawn of their recording career in early 1964 with the release of their debut LP The Rolling Stones, through to A Bigger Bang, originally released in 2005. Pressings in The Rolling Stones 1964-1969 and The Rolling Stones 1971-2005 Vinyl Box Sets are 180-gram virgin heavyweight vinyl and are part of the much lauded Back-to-Black classic vinyl reissue series.

Jody Klein, ABKCO Music and Records CEO, remarked, “With the current marketplace resurgence of vinyl, these collections are certain to delight both long-standing Stones fans as well as contemporary vinyl devotees. The quality of the pressings and the care with which these historic releases have been re-mastered is breathtaking.”

Andrew Kronfeld, Universal Music Group International’s Executive VP, International Marketing, said, “Vinyl was the Rolling Stones’ accomplice from day one, so this is the way to hear the world’s greatest rock ’n’ roll band. There’s nothing else to say… just listen.”

The Rolling Stones–1964-1969 Vinyl Box Set:
The Rolling Stones (EP)*, original U.K. release January 10, 1964
The Rolling Stones*, original U.K. release April 17, 1964
Five By Five (EP)*, original U.K. release August 14, 1964
The Rolling Stones No. 2*, original U.K. release January 15, 1965
Out Of Our Heads*, original U.K. release September 24, 1965
Aftermath, original U.K. release April 15, 1966
Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass), original U.K. release November 4, 1966
Between The Buttons, original U.K. release January 20, 1967
Their Satanic Majesties Request, original U.K. release December 8, 1967
Beggars Banquet, original U.K. release December 5, 1968
Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2), original U.K. release September 12, 1969
Let It Bleed, original U.K. release December 6, 1969
Metamorphosis, original U.K. release June 6, 1975
*Denotes recorded in mono

The Rolling Stones 1971-2005 Vinyl Box Set:
Sticky Fingers, original U.K. release April 23, 1971
Exile On Main Street, original U.K. release May 12, 1972
Goats Head Soup, original U.K. release August 31, 1973
It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll, original U,K. release October 18, 1974
Black And Blue, original U.K. release April 20, 1976
Some Girls, original U.K. release June 9, 1978
Emotional Rescue, original U.K. release June 23, 1980
Tattoo You, original U.K. release August 25, 1981
Undercover, original U.K. release November 7, 1983
Dirty Work, original U.K. release March 24, 1986
Steel Wheels, original U.K. release August 28, 1989
Voodoo Lounge (2 LPs), original U.K. release July 11, 1994
Bridges To Babylon (2 LPs), original U.K. release September 29, 1997 A Bigger Bang (2 LPs), original U.K. release Sept 5, 2005

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 12, 2010 13:33

FreeBird
Jan Richards
This may give a hope for the future, though a tiny one, that abkco would also issue the UK No1 and No2 on CD......
That's exactly what I was thinking. Furthermore, their self-titled album MUST include the longest version of Tell Me to be worth buying.

Whatä's the story of "Tell Me"?

I have two versions of vinyl UK THE ROLLING STONES - neither of them being original. In the older one - from early 70's I guess, there is a cover of Mick Jagger live '70-71 (strange), and "Tell Me" naturally fades away. Then, the 80's remastered one, there is the longer version that continues and continues (and sounds strange). The longer version was basically a 80's trick, wasn't it?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-12 13:34 by Doxa.

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: October 12, 2010 14:21

Maybe I shouldn't complain since I'm not very interested in the vinyl boxes since I have them all on vinyl before, but I wonder why they didn't include the "Got LIVE if you want it" EP to make it complete?
Matt

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 12, 2010 14:22

Saving that for the deluxe edition...

Re: The Rolling Stones 1964-1969 Vinyl Set
Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: October 12, 2010 17:12

I wish this is what they would have done when they released the SACD collection about 8 years ago. Since I don't have a turntable, I hope they release these on CD in the very near future.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 12, 2010 17:42

Elmo
Welcome to IORR, aka The King's New Clothes show.

Here, we worship the band and everything they ever did. We welcome the umpteenth reissue of old studio material at rip off prices and we condemn anyone who dares to offer the slightest criticism.

As I said, the record companies will turn every plum into a prune, but don't you dare challenge them.

Dick!

'Won't get fooled again...'

Well said! The more we bend over the more entitled to give us pointless rererereleases labels will be.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: October 12, 2010 18:12

So, um, we need another copy of these albums because......???

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 12, 2010 18:19

If these are mastered from analog tapes specifically for these vinyl releases, and if they are done properly to audiophile standards, I would buy them, and when they go out of print, the price would go through the roof, similar to what has happened with the Led Zeppelin Classic Records releases. If they just utilize the 2010 digital masters, then I won't buy them, and there will be no demand for them once the core collectors have their copies.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: October 13, 2010 00:21

Doxa

I have two versions of vinyl UK THE ROLLING STONES - neither of them being original. In the older one - from early 70's I guess, there is a cover of Mick Jagger live '70-71 (strange), and "Tell Me" naturally fades away. Then, the 80's remastered one, there is the longer version that continues and continues (and sounds strange). The longer version was basically a 80's trick, wasn't it?
From what I understand, the original LP contains the longest version, the one that doesn't fade out.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: October 13, 2010 01:13

Hi everybody!

I agree with "drbryant".

If the remaster has been done, with audiophile standards from the analogue masters:
Then, this is Stones´ Nirvana!!

I usually listen to vinyl at home.

If it is just a pressing after a Universal digital compressed remaster, it is disappointing.

Any information of who has been the remaster engineer?
Bernie Grundman would have been great!

www.berniegrundmanmastering.com

Posted by: Layladylay ()
Date: October 13, 2010 10:51

When degraded product such as recent re-releases are spread about its like telling a lie on all the hard work and brilliance that went into creating this work and then spreading to it to honest people who really love and respect the music. NOT nice. I can reasonably afford, and I dont take it for granted, to feed and enlarge my modest art collection but this music represents my love for outsider art, and without dedicated assurances of pride and committment to the state of the art, as natural as recorded during whatever part of their hirtory, I guess its not really an art project ID be proud to own or feel good about sharing. People wlll get watered-down drink for champagne prices. From a historic major phenomenon like The Stones its pretty cynical. Sad and suspicious instead of jubilant after spending four times more than a decent profit margin for the company, even if presented with the best possible materials and mastering engineers. Which apparently, this is not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-13 11:06 by Layladylay.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: October 13, 2010 11:13

dewlover
So, um, we need another copy of these albums because......???

Because UMG knows that the wealthy completist is compelled to buy anything and everything presented to him, whether he likes the music or not!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 13, 2010 11:38

Blueranger
It's unbelievable!!! ... Come on man, it's fantastic sets and some of the best music ever. Don't buy it or shut up if you can't say anything positive about it anyway!

the unbelievable part is that they found yet another way to milk money from their fans, and the unfathomable part is that people just can't wait to give away their money for material they already have

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: October 13, 2010 11:38

I don't think they will be remastered to audiophile standards. Audophile standards for me is an analoge uncompressed remaster, and if they would release it that way, it would mean the same as to admit that the previous remasters, just a few years old, aren't good enough. The 2002 60's catalogue sound pretty good in most cases and in some cases very good. But the 70's from last year have been discussed heavily and from what I understand they are not very good.
Matt

Date: October 13, 2010 13:00

Rik
stupid prices

Haha...classic. Sums up the Stones experience of the new Millenium.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: October 13, 2010 13:20

FreeBird
Doxa

From what I understand, the original LP contains the longest version, the one that doesn't fade out.

Yes, and the original CD of the first UK album also does!
The length is 4:06.
I don´t think the reason for the sudden ending has ever been explained...

Date: October 13, 2010 13:25

rootsman
FreeBird
Doxa

Yes, and the original CD of the first UK album also does!
The length is 4:06.
I don´t think the reason for the sudden ending has ever been explained...
The sudden ending by the band is probably because it was time to end it, and they assumed the fde-out would long before have ebbed out. But why it has been presented like this on a finished album..maybe for authenticity?

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: October 13, 2010 13:27

details are given on the official page

I see
Poison Ivy 2nd Version 02:07

Tell Me Full Version 03:56

2120 South Michigan Avenue Original Single Mono Version 02:13

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 13, 2010 13:56

If people think they're milked, they can prevent themselves from buying it! Simple as that.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 13, 2010 16:01

Blueranger
If people think they're milked, they can prevent themselves from buying it! Simple as that.

No one's disagreeing with that. Its your comment that people should 'shut up if they cant find something positive to say about it' that some folks have taken umbrage with.

Theyve as much right to regard it as an overpriced rip off as you have to say it's a great package.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: October 13, 2010 21:01

Matt
Maybe I shouldn't complain since I'm not very interested in the vinyl boxes since I have them all on vinyl before, but I wonder why they didn't include the "Got LIVE if you want it" EP to make it complete?
Matt

They left out the live albums (and EPs) for this box sets... perhaps a third box set next year with Got Live EP, LP, Get Yer Ya-Ya's and a fourth one with Love You Live, Still Life, etc....
Bye the way: the last live ones weren't released on vinyl (Live Licks, Shine A Light...)

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: October 13, 2010 23:59

Vinyl?! I have always expected the Stones to be a band to continue with vinyl coreleased to cds. Especially as it could have been (and was regarding maxi singles with weird mixes!) a marketing tool. But I lost any belief when they dropped the last sing from Voodoo Lounge for the long player.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 14, 2010 00:43

A nice christmas gift.
So much money spent...

But the only important thing is the SOUND ! We were disappointed with the Exile LP's. Hope it will better ?

limited edition... how many ?

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 14, 2010 01:16

Blueranger

well said -- but those same people can also try to talk sense to others & let them know what a waste of hard earned money this is.

Gazza
Theyve as much right to regard it as an overpriced rip off as you have to say it's a great package.

Word!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 14, 2010 11:03

Waste???

The Stones music is never waste.

If people want to buy this set, then let them have that enjoyment.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: October 14, 2010 13:57

Hi I"ve got an original copy of Aftermath on Decca on cd(bought it back in the 80"s)I recon Decca pressed it before Klein copped on.Anyone know is it worth anything?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1888
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home