Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Another Ronnie disappointment?
Posted by: kuriousk ()
Date: October 1, 2010 11:33

I just wonder what happened with the "70-ies coversong-competition" who was running on Ronnies' website (starting August/September 2007 - ?)
Here is my story:

At the end of August 2007 fans were asked on Ronnies' website to recommend-/suggest by email a song from the 70-ies he should pick up and record for his forthcoming (sic?) solo-album!
It said that the winner of the competition will get some notes-/credits on the CD as well as some goodies of Ronnies' art etc. etc. That's what I can remember.
Well - I wrote back the following email:
"Hi Ronnie what about re-recording your song "Forever" for your album? And please check out our version of this song on our tribute CD. Cheers Kurt"

All the emails were listed on the guestbook of the website. One of the various entries had suggested to cover an obscure song from Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - another email wanted Ronnie to record his own version of "Brown Sugar". Anyway, by checking out the guestbook from time to time it was obvious that I was the only guy who came up with the idea to record that "lost" song - but until present I have never heard of them, never got a reply regarding the competition!

Five months prior to that competition (in April 2007) I've released a Ronnie Wood-tribute album called "Kurious Kurt & The ZugZug-Club - We've Got Our Own Best Of To Do!" (www.kuriouskurt.com)
The album also contains the song "Forever". We dug out the song and lyrics listening to a bootleg of poor-audio quality from the Kilburn Theatre/London 1974. After the release we sent the album to Woods' management (Wooden Records) as well as to his private addresses in London an Ireland. Also I was able to hand a copy over to Ronnie personally two days prior the Stones' Bigger Bang gig in Lausanne/Switzerland on 11th. August 2007. Anyway - he knew for sure about the existence of our tribute-CD.

So I was quite surprised to find the tracklist of his album on Ronnies' new relaunched website. Where you can find "Forever" listed as track no. 12!

Now the album has been released - and of course there are no notes-/credits-/thanks about the winner of the "song-contest" who probably (or for sure?) brought back this song to Ronnies' memory!
In contrast he says in almost every interview that it was his idea to dig out this 35-year old song. If he always had that song in mind to record for his new album, why did he start a 70-ies coversong-competition on his website then?

Comparing both versions it seems to me that the guys were checking out our version quite a lot. Especially listening to Bernard Fowlers vocals. So maybe I should be honoured that they made a version of this song in the Kurious Kurt style? Maybe that is my "price" for re-igniting Woods' interest in one of his long forgotten songs?

Among with some other bad press-reviews in the past few weeks (45-second Meet & Greet, expensive Fan-Packages etc.) my story seems to be just another piece in the puzzle how Ronnie is treating his fans nowadays!

Re: Another Ronnie disappointment?
Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 1, 2010 12:01

if your story is true: welcome in music business

Posted by: saulsurvivor ()
Date: October 1, 2010 12:30

Or, maybe, you're suggestion wasn't taken seriously as an entry because "Forever" isn't a cover for Ronnie, since he wrote it,

But, maybe I'm not understanding the rules of the competition as you described them...

Or, maybe...it's both! Maybe you did a really good cover of a Ronnie Wood song, and maybe he heard it and maybe he was already thinking about how he was going to re-record this song of his that you both like so much.

I mean, I would be thrilled to think that Ronnie listened to a recording I did of one of his songs,and even more thrilled to think that my version may have influenced his!

But, lemme get this straight, you're in a band that has released a cover of a Ronnie Wood album, and yet, you are inferring that HE is a douche? IT'S HIS @#$%& SONG, NOT YOURS!!

When Ronnie covers one of your originals, and doesn't give you credit for it, you'll have a point.

Until then, just be thankful. Seriously...

Posted by: Wizzard ()
Date: October 1, 2010 13:25

saulsurvivor
Or, maybe, you're suggestion wasn't taken seriously as an entry because "Forever" isn't a cover for Ronnie, since he wrote it,

But, maybe I'm not understanding the rules of the competition as you described them...

Or, maybe...it's both! Maybe you did a really good cover of a Ronnie Wood song, and maybe he heard it and maybe he was already thinking about how he was going to re-record this song of his that you both like so much.

I mean, I would be thrilled to think that Ronnie listened to a recording I did of one of his songs,and even more thrilled to think that my version may have influenced his!

But, lemme get this straight, you're in a band that has released a cover of a Ronnie Wood album, and yet, you are inferring that HE is a douche? IT'S HIS @#$%& SONG, NOT YOURS!!

When Ronnie covers one of your originals, and doesn't give you credit for it, you'll have a point.

Until then, just be thankful. Seriously...

I'd say the point is that he did a competition on his website promising people somehting and nothing happend. And if you are the only one suggesting the song at least his mangment or someone else could have droped an e-mail. This is @#$%& lame. And just leaves a bad impression, like all these other stories at the moment. Of course it's his song no doubt! But if you want to leave a professional impression even if your name is Mr Wood you shouldn't let people down like this....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-01 14:28 by Wizzard.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: October 1, 2010 13:29

During the same time of recording I Feel Like Playing,
Wooden Records released The First Barbarians including
Forever. So I'm sure that RW was aware again of his
"forgotten" composition of 1974.

N

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 1, 2010 13:52

kuriousk
Among with some other bad press-reviews in the past few weeks (45-second Meet & Greet, expensive Fan-Packages etc.) my story seems to be just another piece in the puzzle how Ronnie is treating his fans nowadays!

There are hundreds of encounters where he treats his fans absolutely great.
I don´t care about people who paid hundreds to see him.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 1, 2010 15:50

Along with Wooden Records releasing the Kilburn CD and DVD legitimately, there's also the fact that Woody and Bernard re-did "Breathe On Me" when they recorded SLIDE ON THIS. There is a precedent for Ronnie to go back to his early work and re-record it and to re-record it in a more soulful fashion with Bernard. Not saying you didn't influence the decision, but it wasn't as out of left field as you might think.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: October 1, 2010 16:01

what makes you sure you won that contest and that he listened to your song?

both not very likely i would say.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 1, 2010 17:32

Have you read his book?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 1, 2010 18:56

kuriousk

frankly, i could give two sh*ts about any contest etc. it's a great album!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 1, 2010 20:10

not sure why the original poster tried so hard to get his recording into ron's hands--what exactly was he expecting him to do when he heard this version?

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 1, 2010 20:17

'The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where theives and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There’s also a negative side'

Hunter s Thompson.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: October 1, 2010 20:23

I'm glad that Ronnie Wood didn't follow his first idea to
release an album with cover versions of 70's-tracks.
Otherwise Lucky Man would be a cover version of that ELP-song
and Fancy Pants a song of that dreadful bubblegum-rock band Kenny.
Now these two songs are two of my favourites on I Feel Like Playing.

N

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 1, 2010 21:01

Maybe your recording might have reminded him of the song, but after all it's his song, so not sure you are owed anything. I once asked Elvis Costello personally to play a song (very obscure one) that he had not planned on playing and was not in the setlist. That very night he played it as an encore and said "a guy asked me about this song today". He then put it in the setlist for the remainder of that tour and issued a limited-release live CD which contained that song. Should I be given any credit? Of course not. I was just thrilled to be part of it.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 1, 2010 22:24

71Tele
Maybe your recording might have reminded him of the song, but after all it's his song, so not sure you are owed anything. I once asked Elvis Costello personally to play a song (very obscure one) that he had not planned on playing and was not in the setlist. That very night he played it as an encore and said "a guy asked me about this song today". He then put it in the setlist for the remainder of that tour and issued a limited-release live CD which contained that song. Should I be given any credit? Of course not. I was just thrilled to be part of it.

what was it tele?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 1, 2010 22:34

71Tele

pretty damn cool.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 1, 2010 23:19

i had suggested Van Morrison's Tupelo Honey - still think Ron can do it justice if the project ever materializes.

Forever ain't a cover, obviously, so i disagree with the original poster who suggested some credit was due for the idea. i also happen to think it's the weakest cut on the record....

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 1, 2010 23:20

71Tele
I was just thrilled to be part of it.

And right you were. Cool story

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 1, 2010 23:29

I met Ronnie in Seattle on the ABB tour. One of the nicest guys on the planet.

Date: October 1, 2010 23:34

Midnight Toker
I met Ronnie in Seattle on the ABB tour. One of the nicest guys on the planet.

tell joe and ekat all about it....

Date: October 2, 2010 00:21

bluesinc.
71Tele

what was it tele?

"Black Sails In The Sunset", an outtake from "Trust". I saw Elvis at a private industry-only show earlier in the day and was able to talk with him for a few minutes. he said they couldn't do the song because they hadn't rehearsed it and they already were playing a lot of unfamiliar material. Imagine my surprise when he comes out for the encore and says "we put this together in the car on the way over". There was a tape of this show someone sent me later and you can hear me yell "Yeah!" when he introduced it. It's on the 5 CD live collection he did from different cities on the tour with just Steve Nieve. Great, great shows. He was a real gent. Never forget it...The only bad part was that my wife chewed me out for going up and talking to Elvis and Steve the way I did, saying it was embarrassing for her. Needless to say we are now divorced. One must make certain tough choices in life.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-02 00:25 by 71Tele.

Posted by: kuriousk ()
Date: October 2, 2010 00:40

Don't get me wrong I never claimed that I could have been the winner of the competition. I was just wondering if anyone has won the competition. By the way Ronnie was looking for one song to be covered/taken from the 70's. I don't wan't to be negative about the whole thing. Maybe it's just a pure coincidence that "Forever" was re-recorded.

Or maybe someone else won the competition and is now credited in the booklet?? But I think it is a little bit dogdy that I posted an e-mail with the song proposal which is now on his record, as long as I followed the competition.

Maybe more people could recall the details from his website if the album would have been released earlier.

Anyway don't take it to serious - I could provide you with a story how I meet Ron Wood for the first time, which was really positive.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 2, 2010 00:51

but your song proposal had nothing to do with the competition, since it wasn't a cover... seems more like you were trying to connect it to your own recording of the song, which you gave him 3 copies of.

Date: October 2, 2010 03:02

Stones Tod- alrighty then. Met Ronnie and Keith at the Olympic Fairmont Hotel in Seattle in 2006.Both could could have easily brushed me off but did not.They spent time speaking with me and were super cool.If you Google "Meeting Keith Richards Tonight in Seattle "you can read my October 2006 post on this web site. I think you will find it interesting.

Date: October 2, 2010 03:05

Midnight Toker
Stones Tod- alrighty then. Met Ronnie and Keith at the Olympic Fairmont Hotel in Seattle in 2006.Both could could have easily brushed me off but did not.They spent time speaking with me and were super cool.If you Google "Meeting Keith Richards Tonight in Seattle "you can read my October 2006 post on this web site. I think you will find it interesting.

i believe you. many of us (myself included) have had such encounters with ron...i had one the night of the post-show party (was a peter wolf album release party, actually) afte the '02 orpheum gig. i'm not gonna presume to know the man enough to tell anyone he's one of the nicest guys on the planet...perhaps you have better intuitive insight.....i think a man's character isn't defined with how he treats complete strangers, but how he treats those closest to him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-02 03:10 by StonesTod.

Date: October 2, 2010 03:20

StonesTod-I meet alot of a-holes in my profession and throughout my lifetime.You have a great point,but when two icons treat you like one of their pals, it is pretty cool and quite memorable.

Date: October 2, 2010 03:37

Midnight Toker
StonesTod-I meet alot of a-holes in my profession and throughout my lifetime.You have a great point,but when two icons treat you like one of their pals, it is pretty cool and quite memorable.

no argument from me. ronnie may be one of the greatest guys in the world for all i know...have a feeling jo and ekat have a diff opinion, though....

Date: October 2, 2010 07:40

I see BV took out my thread about the Stones thinking about talking about thinking.

Date: October 2, 2010 08:06

skipstone
I see BV took out my thread about the Stones thinking about talking about thinking.

Unbelievable. Like North Korea here sometimes...

Date: October 2, 2010 08:15

It was funny. It was a total piss take because of something in a thread. It's hard to breathe around here sometimes with A SENSE OF HUMOUR.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2431
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home