Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Hats off to Ronnie´s I Feel Like Playing!
Date: October 7, 2010 10:25

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
carlostones10
I received my cd yesterday. Really 5 stars.

5 stars, really? So its in the same league as Blonde on Blonde, Sgt. Pepper and Who's Next. Certainly good to know! How about some perspective?

It´s a really good album, Tele. Certainly 5 stars.

If you are grading on a very steep curve with only other Ron Wood albums to compare against it might be 5 stars. Certainly not Michelin stars.

You don't like the album, Tele? I find it very, very refreshing, coming out in a time where rock'n'roll almost not exists.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: October 7, 2010 13:21

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
carlostones10

5 stars, really? So its in the same league as Blonde on Blonde, Sgt. Pepper and Who's Next. Certainly good to know! How about some perspective?

If you are grading on a very steep curve with only other Ron Wood albums to compare against it might be 5 stars. Certainly not Michelin stars.

You don't like the album, Tele? I find it very, very refreshing, coming out in a time where rock'n'roll almost not exists.

I got my copy of Woody's I Fee Like Playing and I understand Tele's reaction to carlostones and DPM claims that it's a five star outing - let's get real...yes, it's a five star album...if you are using a scale of 1-10...but to compare this album to true five-star classics in the Rock pantheon is absurdity beyond words. A classic it is not.

But what it is, is a great-sounding album (forget for the most part the throwaway lyrical content - Woody will never be mistaken for a deep thinker or a word-smith) with Ronnie sounding spunky and confident as hell. I Feel Like Playing shows a surprisingly robust Woody insouciantly blasting out workmanlike songs - some sounding like rough-ass, fun-filled demos - filled with simple emotions with a propulsive, chunky sound in a raspy, gleeful monotone...and taking real joy in doing so. The true shock comes in that this supposedly dessicated carcass of a Rock Guitar Hero still has his chops more or less intact - which is far more than what can be honestly said about his six-string partner in the Stones. There are some truly phenomenal sounding moments in this album, proving beyond any doubt that Woody's talents have been woefully underused in his day-gig with the Stones. The Stones could really have used some of the guitar flash and grit that Woody displays in abundance here on their last 4 albums for Chrissakes...not to mention in their live shows (where the hell is this Woody on stage, dammit?) and that they have not done so (in what seems like decades) is an indictment on Messrs. Jagger and Richards' judgment.

Oh, and the album's a 'grower'...the more one listens the more fun it gets...songs like I Don't Think So, Thing About You, and the fantastically funky Spoonful make the roof vibrate with riffs that will have you uncontrollably bouncing up and down in place, the Little-Feat-like Tell Me Something will bring a smile to your face and the confessional I Gotta See will bring a tear to the eye...and the closer Forever is wonderfully soulful.

Woody has limited lyrical and vocal talents, sure, but he can rock like a Mother and with I Feel Like Playing he returns to his essence, puts the sordid tabloid images of the past year in the rear-view mirror and makes the Comeback of the Year. Stay on the straight track, Woody...focus on that axe, boy!

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: October 7, 2010 14:26

I've listened through the album a couple of times now, and I find it a very nice piece of work. Not at all major "blow you away" tunes, but solid work. Very nice production, and I love the guitarwork. Nice balanced and a variety of sounds that fits the songs very well. Must say that Spoonful absolutely kicks ass. That groove is so cool, and Ronnie is a master of playing that kind of riffs.
I would also say that Ronnie seemed to have learned much better how to use his limited voice in a mch better way than before. He kind of seems to work around the limitations as opposed to forcing his way through.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: October 7, 2010 16:51

Turd On The Run
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
carlostones10

I got my copy of Woody's I Fee Like Playing and I understand Tele's reaction to carlostones and DPM claims that it's a five star outing - let's get real...yes, it's a five star album...if you are using a scale of 1-10...but to compare this album to true five-star classics in the Rock pantheon is absurdity beyond words. A classic it is not.

But what it is, is a great-sounding album (forget for the most part the throwaway lyrical content - Woody will never be mistaken for a deep thinker or a word-smith) with Ronnie sounding spunky and confident as hell. I Feel Like Playing shows a surprisingly robust Woody insouciantly blasting out workmanlike songs - some sounding like rough-ass, fun-filled demos - filled with simple emotions with a propulsive, chunky sound in a raspy, gleeful monotone...and taking real joy in doing so. The true shock comes in that this supposedly dessicated carcass of a Rock Guitar Hero still has his chops more or less intact - which is far more than what can be honestly said about his six-string partner in the Stones. There are some truly phenomenal sounding moments in this album, proving beyond any doubt that Woody's talents have been woefully underused in his day-gig with the Stones. The Stones could really have used some of the guitar flash and grit that Woody displays in abundance here on their last 4 albums for Chrissakes...not to mention in their live shows (where the hell is this Woody on stage, dammit?) and that they have not done so (in what seems like decades) is an indictment on Messrs. Jagger and Richards' judgment.

Oh, and the album's a 'grower'...the more one listens the more fun it gets...songs like I Don't Think So, Thing About You, and the fantastically funky Spoonful make the roof vibrate with riffs that will have you uncontrollably bouncing up and down in place, the Little-Feat-like Tell Me Something will bring a smile to your face and the confessional I Gotta See will bring a tear to the eye...and the closer Forever is wonderfully soulful.

Woody has limited lyrical and vocal talents, sure, but he can rock like a Mother and with I Feel Like Playing he returns to his essence, puts the sordid tabloid images of the past year in the rear-view mirror and makes the Comeback of the Year. Stay on the straight track, Woody...focus on that axe, boy!

Your review is a 5 star review, anyway! In Norway, 6 stars is the highest review score.

One important thing, though. The Stones (and the band's musicians) are my favorite band/musicians. When any of them releases stuff I find top notch, I AM real when I'm saying that this album deserves every star.

Where are the fillers on this album, btw? 100%? Tell Me Something? Love them both.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 7, 2010 17:21

DandelionPowderman
Where are the fillers on this album, btw? 100%? Tell Me Something? Love them both.

For me, 100% and Forever are fillers, i.e. the ones I skip. I'm not that big a fan of soul, and certainly not by Ronnie Wood (or Rod Stewart for that matter). I really like I Gotta See, but I consider that more bluesy than soul.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 7, 2010 17:26

The weakest song is the one with the hardest riff:
Thing About You.

But I´m so happy that I still get a lot of great music by a member
of the Rolling Stones - in 2010!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-07 17:27 by TooTough.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: October 7, 2010 17:36

If I may, a quick query -

Is the CD bookelt any good?

With favourite artists, I still like to get the physical CD rather than download; but these days, maybe the download will do. If the booklet is worth having though, I'll go for the CD!

Date: October 7, 2010 17:40

IrelandCalling4

With favourite artists, I still like to get the physical CD rather than download; but these days, maybe the download will do. If the booklet is worth having though, I'll go for the CD!

Get the Japanese version, it´s with the lyrics (some don´t care, though:-)
and 2 bonus tracks. The rest is the same: song titles on canvas and the
list of musicians helping out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-07 17:40 by TooTough.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 7, 2010 17:53

all in all just what I expected. Although some songs are quite good the album is just mediocre and lacks of real substance. I guess we'll enjoy listening to it a few times and then we'll put it in our CD shelf and forget about it.

Btw: the same day I bought Ronnie's CD I also bought the new Cyndi Lauper album - don't laugh! She recorded a blues (!) album and it's really amazing. Much better than Ronnie's stuff. I'd wish the Stones would do something like that

Date: October 7, 2010 18:02

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

For me, 100% and Forever are fillers, i.e. the ones I skip. I'm not that big a fan of soul, and certainly not by Ronnie Wood (or Rod Stewart for that matter). I really like I Gotta See, but I consider that more bluesy than soul.

That's Motown soul, and a really, really good one, too winking smiley

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 7, 2010 18:44

slewan
all in all just what I expected. Although some songs are quite good the album is just mediocre and lacks of real substance. I guess we'll enjoy listening to it a few times and then we'll put it in our CD shelf and forget about it.

that's pretty true of almost any album i get these days. doesn't make it a bad album, but with so much good stuff out there (old and enw) and so little time, one must move on quickly and not look back....

Date: October 9, 2010 20:19

Yes, great job, Ronnie! Just played the CD and I think it is Ronnie's greatest solo effort to date and possibly one of the best albums of the year IMO.
Some good rockers nicely mixed in with some mellow numbers as well. A few of the songs remind me of Stones tunes and a couple even sound like Keith Richards type numbers. Thing About You definitely my fav track - Lucky Man, I Gotta See, 100% also good.
Nice contributions from Billy Gibbons (love those ZZTop guitars) and beautiful vocals from Bernard Fowler as well.

Keep on rockin' Ronnie!

Date: October 9, 2010 20:26

Just don't throw that hat on the bed. I hate that, it's bad luck to lay a hat on a bed ya know!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 9, 2010 21:59

TooTough
Thing About You.

That song and '100%' both remind me of Keith's '999'. Only in different ways.

Like them both a lot, and still enjoying the album much more than I expected to - quite a grower. (Listening to it in Jordistones' house in Barcelona a few days ago via great speakers with a few beers certainly helped!)

My favourite songs, however, are the first two - Why You Wanna Go And Do A Thing Like That For and Sweetness My Weakness.

And I like his singing on this record. Never a strong point on previous outings, but (maybe with a bit of help from Mr Fowler) he seems to have really found a style that suits him on this one.

Well done, young Ronald. thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-09 22:01 by Gazza.

Date: October 11, 2010 14:53

<My favourite songs, however, are the first two - Why You Wanna Go And Do A Thing Like That For and Sweetness My Weakness.>

thumbs up + 1

A nod to I Gotta See as well.

Date: October 11, 2010 14:55

TooTough
IrelandCalling4

Get the Japanese version, it´s with the lyrics (some don´t care, though:-)
and 2 bonus tracks. The rest is the same: song titles on canvas and the
list of musicians helping out.

I have Why You Wanna Go and a different take on Spoonful as bonus tracks. Which are the japanese bonus tracks?

Date: October 11, 2010 15:44

DandelionPowderman
I have Why You Wanna Go and a different take on Spoonful
as bonus tracks. Which are the japanese bonus tracks?

I Don´t Think So
and
Tell Me Something

Date: October 11, 2010 15:49

Gazza
TooTough
Thing About You.

That song and '100%' both remind me of Keith's '999'. Only in different ways.

Like them both a lot, and still enjoying the album much more than I expected to - quite a grower. (Listening to it in Jordistones' house in Barcelona a few days ago via great speakers with a few beers certainly helped!)

My favourite songs, however, are the first two - Why You Wanna Go And Do A Thing Like That For and Sweetness My Weakness.

And I like his singing on this record. Never a strong point on previous outings, but (maybe with a bit of help from Mr Fowler) he seems to have really found a style that suits him on this one.

Well done, young Ronald. thumbs up

Gaz, no feelings on Tell Me Something when he plays the solo? Goosebumps here!
Even Fancy Pants has great riffs and it grows on me.
100% has some great riffs, too, the slowing down and coming back again. Great!

The album has far more ideas, tempo changes and chords than Main Offender.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-11 15:51 by TooTough.

Date: October 11, 2010 16:44

TooTough
DandelionPowderman

I Don´t Think So
and
Tell Me Something

Different versions, I presume?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 11, 2010 18:50

A week in and only "Spoonful" really strikes me as excellent. I remain a devoted fan of Ronnie's first five solo studio efforts. This is a huge improvement over the last one, but still far from the quality of his earlier work. There are moments, but not really enough to sustain a song.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 11, 2010 18:58

Rocky Dijon
A week in and only "Spoonful" really strikes me as excellent.

But you like the rest ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: October 11, 2010 19:09

DandelionPowderman
TooTough
DandelionPowderman

I Don´t Think So
and
Tell Me Something

Different versions, I presume?

Yes, early versions.

Date: October 12, 2010 10:20

Rocky Dijon
A week in and only "Spoonful" really strikes me as excellent. I remain a devoted fan of Ronnie's first five solo studio efforts. This is a huge improvement over the last one, but still far from the quality of his earlier work. There are moments, but not really enough to sustain a song.

I Gotta See??? Best soul tune ever by a Stone, imo. What's wrong with that one?

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 12, 2010 10:27

Great album!!!!!!!!!!! Since 1992 i was waiting for something like this...........

What is the role of Kris Kristoferson on the first track?????????????????????

Date: October 12, 2010 10:40

KeithNacho
Great album!!!!!!!!!!! Since 1992 i was waiting for something like this...........

What is the role of Kris Kristoferson on the first track?????????????????????

He's not credited as a performer, nor is Eddie Vedder. So, I guess they're both involved in the songwriting of Why You Wanna Go and Lucky Man.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 19, 2010 13:16

Recieved the CD a few days ago - and I find it to be a fresh breath of air.....sounds like Ronnie is playing what he finds to great sounding, personally, instead of following a boring old pattern/forumula - as in Rolling Stones seems to do every now and then.
I wouldn't call "I Feel Like Playing" a masterpiece or anything, but I find it to be his best album since 1981......and I'll be enjoying listening to it several times....before it finds it place on the shelves.

Date: October 19, 2010 13:22

Erik_Snow
Recieved the CD a few days ago - and I find it to be a fresh breath of air.....sounds like Ronnie is playing what he finds to great sounding, personally, instead of following a boring old pattern/forumula - as in Rolling Stones seems to do every now and then.
I wouldn't call "I Feel Like Playing" a masterpiece or anything, but I find it to be his best album since 1981......and I'll be enjoying listening to it several times....before it finds it place on the shelves.

Take a spin on Wind Howlin' Thru and Redeyes, and then put on the weakest songs from I Feel Like Playing...

I would say best since Now Look.

Masterpiece or not. After numerous spins, I still love this album. I Gotta See is pure brilliance, imo.

BTW, is Billy Gibbons honouring Ronnie in the ending of his solo on I Gotta See, or does Ronnie play it. Sounds like Billy, but that little lick in the ending is trademark Ronnie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-19 14:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 19, 2010 14:10

Congratulations Ronnie!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Room1009 ()
Date: October 19, 2010 17:04

Wasn't going to, but too many positive posts to ignore. Am just about to buy on iTunes and note that reviewer #3 thinks, "This is the best album i have EVER heard!!!". Posted by somebody called Ronnie Wood.

It must be good. Have fun tonight at Ambassadors.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 19, 2010 22:51

likearollingstone
I think it is Ronnie's greatest solo effort to date and possibly one of the best albums of the year IMO.

Yikes.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2058
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home