Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Hats off to Ronnie´s I Feel Like Playing!
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: October 20, 2010 01:31

this is truly one of the best albums of the year. Bob kicks it off, Tom Jones probably, Otis Redding's archival release... but that's about it.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: October 20, 2010 15:56

I received this record in the mail yesterday. I was surprised by how good it was -definitely in the vein of I Got My Own Album and Now Look or those Clapton albums from 75-76. Very soulful - Bobby Womack really brings things up a notch on the songs he's on. Cover of Spoonful with Flea is first rate. I found most of the songs to be quite memorable - better than your average Ronnie Wood album. Best Stones solo project since Wandering Spirit.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 20, 2010 16:23

havent seen an uglier cover for quite a while!
i really like the production. it's raw and honest!
songwise: mediocre with some great exeptions.
definitely worth more than one listen.
lucky man is great!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 20, 2010 22:55

The album arrived Friday at my home. I listened to it 4 times in two days. There are some nice songs on there. Ronnie has a good cast playing with him. His solo studio output remains at a high quality and this new one is no exception.

I am very pleased to see Ronnie doing live gigs that are working out well. Good on you guys that made the recent London shows. I am sure they were a gas. One can only hope the Faces get out and tour early next year as discussed. will hit the road to catch some of those gigs if they materialize. Would also really love to see Keith out there playing after he finishes his book promo.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: October 21, 2010 21:23

I will be buying it after his superb London gig this week.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 25, 2010 15:09

I mentioned to a friend of mine on this board that I thought "I Feel Like Playing" sounded very good on the 2 first listens. After the 3rd one.....I kind of suddenly had enough. And this person had the very same thoughts. So I was wondering if there others here who has it the same way ?

And *no*.....I didn't play the record after another in the same day. And I don't feel like playing it again, I must say. Maybe it's the LOUD mix, maybe it's the songwriting - or....I don't know - it's a combination of a lot of things
But anyway, I don't find "I Feel Like Playing" to be a *grower* (like it was for Gazza) nor even a *stayer*.....unlike for instance 1234 or Gimme Some Neck

Feel Like Playing was a fresh breath of air, from the Rolling Stones camp....but it only lasted a couple of days for me.......it's not something I want to revisit, quite frankly - maybe in 5 years from now or something
Just thought this album-review-thread deserved a slightly critical post, since there are so many positive ones

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: October 25, 2010 15:20

Erik_Snow
I mentioned to a friend of mine on this board that I thought "I Feel Like Playing" sounded very good on the 2 first listens. After the 3rd one.....I kind of suddenly had enough. And this person had the very same thoughts. So I was wondering if there others here who has it the same way ?

And *no*.....I didn't play the record after another in the same day. And I don't feel like playing it again, I must say. Maybe it's the LOUD mix, maybe it's the songwriting - or....I don't know - it's a combination of a lot of things
But anyway, I don't find "I Feel Like Playing" to be a *grower* (like it was for Gazza) nor even a *stayer*.....unlike for instance 1234 or Gimme Some Neck

Feel Like Playing was a fresh breath of air, from the Rolling Stones camp....but it only lasted a couple of days for me.......it's not something I want to revisit, quite frankly - maybe in 5 years from now or something
Just thought this album-review-thread deserved a slightly critical post, since there are so many positive ones

It's exactly the same for me (and i'm not just saying that now, I had mentioned it earlier). It has some catchy tunes, but unfortunately they grow boring very quickly and I find myself skipping most tracks by now. I think my biggest problems are the lyrics, they are just overly simply (Fancy Pants anyone???). It's just very generic rock and nothing special - certainly nothing that grows on me sad smiley Ronnie has some good ideas, it would be cool if Mick and Keith gave him some more room with the Stones. But it becomes obvious that he is not very good on his own.

Btw, about lyrics - I listened to some Kris Kristofferson recently (inspired by Ronnie actually) and he writes lines like:

Then the light was crimson and I found her,
All naked and eternal and insane
Sacred as the mysteries around her like a veil
Nothin' but her prison was profane
All we had in common was our chains.

It's stunning! And then you skip to Ronnie singing Farty Pants. Sorry, Fancy Pants.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 25, 2010 15:26

Lorenz
Erik_Snow

It's exactly the same for me (and i'm not just saying that now, I had mentioned it earlier). It has some catchy tunes, but unfortunately they grow boring very quickly and I find myself skipping most tracks by now. I think my biggest problems are the lyrics, they are just overly simply (Fancy Pants anyone???). It's just very generic rock and nothing special - certainly nothing that grows on me sad smiley Ronnie has some good ideas, it would be cool if Mick and Keith gave him some more room with the Stones. But it becomes obvious that he is not very good on his own.

Btw, about lyrics - I listened to some Kris Kristofferson recently (inspired by Ronnie actually) and he writes lines like:

It's stunning! And then you skip to Ronnie singing Farty Pants. Sorry, Fancy Pants.

Ha! So you had it the same way? I missed that post of yours....interesting
BTW - the song that gets the most praises here; "I Gotta See".....seems to me like a re-written "I'd Rather Go Blind" - with MUCH weaker lyrics

But...don't get me wrong, in no way am I bashing Ronnie - he surely has great energy these days. But his last album died quickly for me - that's all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-25 16:00 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 25, 2010 18:13

I still love it

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 25, 2010 18:15

i've listened at least 8 times now and am not in the least bit bored ... some songs I really like a lot, and as stated previously, I still don't like 100% or Forever.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 25, 2010 19:18

Lorenz

Fancy Pants all the way!!!

C

p.s. What is KK raving about? Some sado maso sex with balls and chains?

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: October 25, 2010 20:10

I Gotta See is a great song. For the rest of the album, my 50 cents musically its good and grooves, but some of the lyrics are painful and the love song stuff from a 63 year old is at times laughable. The record has a good vibe and is one of the best 10 recordss of the year, which really says more about the competition than that its a classic. I bet im one of the few who thinks "Not for beginners" is better,thats a really sexy record smiling smiley

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: October 25, 2010 21:17

still strong love for it after about 1000 listens to "Thing About You", "Tell Me Something" and "I Don't Think So" (instrumental obviously).

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 25, 2010 23:01

Got it yesterday and heard it in the car twice today. Got to say that it might be his second best album after I've Got My Own Album To Do. I love his second, Now Look but it kinda tails off on side 2 and I think I Feel Like Playing just edges it.

And with Talk Is Cheap it's by far the best 'Stones' album since Tattoo You. Yup, I love it. It's got a lot of soul and the songs hang together well. Lots of different styles - the opener, Why You Wanna And Go And Do A Thing Like That For is a dead ringer for recent Dylan; the reggae song Sweetness My Weakness is a tip to Keith and there are some glorious rockers such as Lucky Man and Fancy Pants.

The more I think about the more it's so obvious Mick that is wrecking the spirit of the Stones with his insistance on trying to sound modern.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-26 00:43 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 25, 2010 23:29

Now listened to it a couple of times, and it is still great but not really refined in any way, and some tracks do have unlistenable lyrics.

His best album remains Slide on This in my opinion.

Mathijs

I Feel Like Playing
Date: October 31, 2010 18:34

I just downloaded Ronnie's new album and have now listened to it about three times.

Superb - get it now. The best Stones-related album for years and no hype!

Re: I Feel Like Playing
Posted by: Sespin ()
Date: October 31, 2010 19:40

Indeed - a great record, I listen to it every day and it gets better and better....

Re: I Feel Like Playing
Posted by: Brue ()
Date: November 1, 2010 18:44

Found this on Bobby Womack touring with Gorillaz thesedays.

Seattle Times

Date: November 1, 2010 19:15

Still grooves on my player. I Gotta See, Tell Me Something and I Don´t Think So are fantastic songs in their own different ways. So is Why You Wanna.

Who cares about the bad lyrics, and how old Ronnie is? Not me. Both Mick and Keith have served us even more cringeworthy "poetry" before.

Date: November 2, 2010 02:24

stewedandkeefed
I received this record in the mail yesterday. I was surprised by how good it was -definitely in the vein of I Got My Own Album and Now Look or those Clapton albums from 75-76. Very soulful - Bobby Womack really brings things up a notch on the songs he's on. Cover of Spoonful with Flea is first rate. I found most of the songs to be quite memorable - better than your average Ronnie Wood album. Best Stones solo project since Wandering Spirit.

+1

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 2, 2010 07:56

It's ok...

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: October 30, 2011 12:11

Just found on Nico`s site that there is an australasian version with two more bonus tracks. So all in all there are 4 early versions in existence , right? I Don`t Think So and Tell Me Something on the japanese edition plus I Gotta See and Fancy Pants on the australasian edition. Anybody here who could listen to these tracks?

Here you go: Feel Like Playing australasien version

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-30 12:18 by electricmud.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 30, 2011 12:47

great album, some bad lyrics. but like stated before, not all of keef and Mick songs are like the statue of Shakespeare.
bye
jeroen

Date: October 30, 2011 13:29

I posted this somewhere else a while back (can't remember where), but doesn't anyone else think that "100%" might be some kind of inside joke toward Keith's "999"? There's the number sequence, and the riffing at the ends is virtually the identical riff from "999".

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: October 30, 2011 13:52

electricmud
Just found on Nico`s site that there is an australasian version with two more bonus tracks. So all in all there are 4 early versions in existence , right? I Don`t Think So and Tell Me Something on the japanese edition plus I Gotta See and Fancy Pants on the australasian edition. Anybody here who could listen to these tracks?

Here you go: Feel Like Playing australasien version

Tom

Also ; Why you wanna go (The Early Sessions) & Spoonful (The Early Sessions) on iTunes

[itunes.apple.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-30 13:57 by Lien.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: October 30, 2011 14:11

Ah, thank you Lien. So we got half of the record as an early session ?

I Don`t Think So (Japan)

Tell Me Something (Japan)

I Gotta See (Australasian)

Fancy Pants (Australasian)

Why You Wanna Go (ITunes)

Spoonful (Itunes)

So can anybody rate these tracks in comparison to the final versions?

Tom

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 30, 2011 23:05

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-09 23:16 by TooTough.

Date: October 30, 2011 23:18

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-09 23:16 by TooTough.

Date: October 30, 2011 23:22

[www.shock.com.au]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-30 23:23 by TooTough.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 2, 2011 20:41

Australian bonus

[www.nzentgraf.de]

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1622
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home