Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Hats off to Ronnie´s I Feel Like Playing!
Date: September 29, 2010 18:57

A great, great album, imo. A really nice surprise. Really good songwriting, and believe it or not, Ronnie´s singing is soulful and well-adjusted to his natural pitch. The guitars are classic Ronnie; soulful and funky. A bit unstructured in places, but overall beautiful.

The opening track Why You Wanna Go And Do A Thing Like That For is stellar!

A great listening experience. Good sound, good stuff smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-29 19:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: Hats off to I Feel Like Playing!
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 29, 2010 19:12

i'm halfway thru and a bit dumbfounded. ronnie is lazarus!! who'd a-thunk he could come up with this?

Re: Hats off to Ronnie´s I Feel Like Playing!
Date: September 29, 2010 19:31

It´s awesome!

Date: September 29, 2010 19:34

ok - with still one song left - i'll go out on a limb and say this is the best stones-related album since Main Offender. i'm shocked. forget the lyrics - never been a strength of ronnie's or any of the stones (at least in the past 35 years)...the vocals, the guitars, the hooks, the arrangements - flat out brilliant. this comes almost a decade after that dog, Not for Beginners? hard to fathom.

I can't imagine the stones themselves coming out with something nearly this inspired at this point....

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 29, 2010 19:39

The album is better than many people expected, it is not great but it has balls, Fowler did quite a good job as a producer.

Date: September 29, 2010 19:40

Spoonful even wipes the floor with Cream´s version.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 29, 2010 19:45

Yeah cool...glad you enjoyed it too T&A.

Got it yesterday and was also mighty impressed with the effort Ronnie put down. There is a wonderful eclectic selection on this disc. Probably the most fresh sounding song is the Eddie Vedder co-written song, "Lucky Man." 100% is pretty sweet...great hook and groove. "I Gotta See" contains a small insight into what I think was the Ronnie/Jo split. Touching song. "Spoonful" and "Thing About You" do their job as rockers. Funny, I think you can sense a little of the bridge from "Seven Days" in the song "Lucky Man."

Bottom line is that Ronnie's songwriting is still top-notch. The fact that Mick and Keith continuously leave Ronnie out of any major songwriting for the Stones is a huge crime.

Date: September 29, 2010 22:34

What You Gonna Do A Thing Like That For is a fantastic song, imo.

Date: September 29, 2010 22:46

ron's return to glory here only intensifies my belief that the stones will have a problem should they decide to tour....keith's diminished playing abilities combined with ronnie's revival does not augur well for a tour...i think many of you get my point....

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 29, 2010 23:09

The vocals and song arrangements I like the best - the lyrics are shallow, I agree I do not think MJ and Keith at this stage can do better nor do they have the creativity and motivation to care anymore.

play that guitar boy

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 30, 2010 00:06

OpenG, really?? I've not even bought it myself yet! ;-)

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 30, 2010 01:14

Not having heard the new one yet I'd just like to mention again that his last one, "Not for Beginners" was (notwithstanding lame cover art) a beautiful, soulful and deeply felt recording.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 30, 2010 01:21

T&A
ron's return to glory here only intensifies my belief that the stones will have a problem should they decide to tour....keith's diminished playing abilities combined with ronnie's revival does not augur well for a tour...i think many of you get my point....

I know what you mean, Blondie is really going to have to play his ass off to keep up.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 30, 2010 01:22

OpenG
The vocals and song arrangements I like the best - the lyrics are shallow, I agree I do not think MJ and Keith at this stage can do better nor do they have the creativity and motivation to care anymore.

play that guitar boy

As someone who has been extremely critical of Mick's lyrics for the past decade, I still say he's never written anything as outright embarrassing as the lyrics to "Fancy Pants."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 30, 2010 02:10

I still say he's never written anything as outright embarrassing as the lyrics to "Fancy Pants."

SO true Rocky ....so true ....

They shoulda stuck with the blusier early demo that's on the promo CD....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Potbanger ()
Date: September 30, 2010 02:21

Hats off indeed. Big big fan of Ronnie with the Faces and his solo stuff. Was pretty disappointed in "Not for Beginners" -- his voice, while always an aquired taste, was wrecked. I thought that was it and he went out with a less than stellar performance. But this new one... he's singing much better (still not at Slide on This" levels, but improved) and the playing is spot on. Nice one, Ronnie!

Re: Hats off to I Feel Like Playing!
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 30, 2010 02:56

T&A
i'm halfway thru and a bit dumbfounded. ronnie is lazarus!! who'd a-thunk he could come up with this?

I did - I think it's on par with most of his other releases ... great!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 30, 2010 03:53

Really got into it and have just listened to it once. Ronnie is my least favorite Stone but I like this. To me it's just great to hear a real rock album again and he suceeds handsomely.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: September 30, 2010 04:05

Agree that it's a strong record. Blows away Not for Beginners. I quite like it after a few spins. However, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a Renaissance in his playing. Every tune features a crackerjack lead guitarist. I particularly like track five (blanking on the title) with Billy Gibbons. Not a criticism, btw.
T@3

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: September 30, 2010 04:05

DandelionPowderman
A great, great album, imo. A really nice surprise. Really good songwriting, and believe it or not, Ronnie´s singing is soulful and well-adjusted to his natural pitch. The guitars are classic Ronnie; soulful and funky. A bit unstructured in places, but overall beautiful.

Just curious, did you like it more than ABB?

Date: September 30, 2010 04:08

T&A

So replace Keith with Mick Taylor?

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: September 30, 2010 04:11

Ronnie is a very good songwriter.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 30, 2010 04:26

Have to say I casually dismissed it at first, but its a grower.

Date: September 30, 2010 04:33

Gazza
Have to say I casually dismissed it at first, but its a grower.

Gazza,

I trust you on these matters, did you enjoy it more than ABB? I know it's early, but just curious.

Date: September 30, 2010 09:30

Rocky Dijon
OpenG

play that guitar boy

As someone who has been extremely critical of Mick's lyrics for the past decade, I still say he's never written anything as outright embarrassing as the lyrics to "Fancy Pants."

Very, very tounguein cheek. But it doesn´t work. Embarrassing lyrics grinning smiley

Date: September 30, 2010 09:37

stonescrow
DandelionPowderman

Just curious, did you like it more than ABB?

Let´s put it this way. There are songs I like better here than the best songs on ABB.

I´ve had only three spins. I´m tempted to say yes smiling smiley

That opening song was in my head last night for different reasons.

Date: September 30, 2010 09:41

BTW, it´s not true that the other solo guitarists do this album, as stated above.

They fit in nicely, but there isn´t a song on this album where Ronnie´s guitar isn´t prominent in the mix. And he plays some nice leads on most of the tunes here.

Slash and Billy also play a few solos, but they don´t steal the spotlight from Mr. Wood here.

Shouldn´t really be hard to spot Ronnie´s solos here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-01 12:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: September 30, 2010 13:09

john r
Not having heard the new one yet I'd just like to mention again that his last one, "Not for Beginners" was (notwithstanding lame cover art) a beautiful, soulful and deeply felt recording.

Completely agree,NFB is a lovely album

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: September 30, 2010 15:39

Got spare Ronnie ticket for sale. See sold out section

John Nicholls

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 30, 2010 16:57

Rocky Dijon
OpenG

play that guitar boy

Let's see ... Let's Work, Dirty Work, New Faces, Winning Ugly ...that's just a couple off the top of my head.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1859
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home