Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: Brian Jones V Mick Taylor
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 4, 2010 13:40

<If MT and Bill end up on stage with the Stones during some 50th anniversary tour, that would be wonderful. I would welcome them with open arms to a band that has worked better than ever without them.

Peace,

Saul
>

lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-04 13:47 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 4, 2010 15:45

Mathijs
I think there where much more good shows with Wood than with Taylor, but this is purely because, as said, I think they where a better band from '75 to '81 than before.

Mathijs
ps 90% of the 73 tour is available for download on the various torrent sites, and also here on this board. Listen to Munich, Frankfurt and Essen and the Scandinavian shows and you will hear a band struggling as Keith just was very much out of it. Taylor could not save it from crashing. Listen to the British, Dutch and Belgium shows and you hear Richards on fire, with an excelling Taylor.

Ahh....but there were many more GREAT shows with Taylor - and that's what I rate highly !!!

Cannot agree with you about the band being better during the period 75 - 81.
Surely Jagger's vocals for one were rubbish compared to 1963 --> 1973 ????
Doesn't matter what the band sounds like if the lead vocal is making weird barking noises....

Also, I don't agree the band struggled in Frankfurt 1973 ?? I believe it's just behind Brussels - they are top shows.

I also don't think anyone could blame Taylor for a "mediocre" concert during the Taylor-era...whereas you could point the finger at Wood more than once during the 75 - 81 period...and more often as the years would go on....of course.

Perhaps that's the problem - we have heard the Wood-era Stones from 1990 onwards and heard alot of trainwrecks (too many)...perhaps it's these that last in our minds??

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: October 4, 2010 16:42

Shine A Light seems to be about Brian. Well, then Melody must have been inspired by Mick Melody (second name) Taylor.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 4, 2010 17:11

Eleanor Rigby

Cannot agree with you about the band being better during the period 75 - 81.
Surely Jagger's vocals for one were rubbish compared to 1963 --> 1973 ????
Doesn't matter what the band sounds like if the lead vocal is making weird barking noises....

it's easier to accept the reverse--that a weird lead vocal doesn't matter so much if the band sounds good.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 4, 2010 17:33

saulsurvivor
Gorgeous slide work, my ass.

The best parts of the track are Jagger's vocals, Nicky's piano, and Charlie's killer drums.

Also, my original name was Wendell Whipcomesdown. I changed it to Saul Survivor because I'm Jewish.

I far prefer When The Whip Comes Down to Soul Survivor.

I'm Jewish too, though that seems to be the only thing we have in common!

Date: October 4, 2010 17:38

Mathijs
71Tele

You also continue to mention '73 shows that most of the rest of us are not privy to hearing. You seem to suggest that some bad '73 shows prove that Taylor is nothing special. But you never say Wood is nothing special given the countless more mediocre to bad shows with him onstage. I think you have some sort of dislike of Taylor (the motivation of which is a mystery) and then you grasp at straws of evidence to support this dislike.

I have no dislike for Taylor at all. I think that the '72 tour was the best tour any band has done in the history of music, and that is for a part owed to Taylor's brilliant playing.

But I disagree very much with your statement that with Wood there where 'countless more mediocre to bad shows'. Further, this statement seems to imply -as so many statements on this board imply- that this has to do with Wood being present. Normally this statement then is followed with a 'if only Taylor was still in the band it would have been much better'.

I am of the opinion that the Stones where such a strong band, and on some cases even the best R&R band because of the chemistry between Jagger, Richards, Watts and Wyman. They where the driving forces behind the Stones, and when they where 'on' the band as an whole could truly excel.

In my opinion, Jagger was at his best in '72 and '78, Watts was a much better drummer in '75 and '78 than on any other tour. Wyman reached his peak in '81, Richards from '75 to '81. The fifth element, Jones, Taylor and Wood, are of a much lesser importance to me, especially live (although it is difficult to judge Jones here, as live music was different in the 60's and we do not have that many recordings). Sure, Taylor played some great leads in '72 and '73, I love the rhythmic interplay of Wood with Richards in '78, but it is not defining to me.

I think there where much more good shows with Wood than with Taylor, but this is purely because, as said, I think they where a better band from '75 to '81 than before.

Mathijs
ps 90% of the 73 tour is available for download on the various torrent sites, and also here on this board. Listen to Munich, Frankfurt and Essen and the Scandinavian shows and you will hear a band struggling as Keith just was very much out of it. Taylor could not save it from crashing. Listen to the British, Dutch and Belgium shows and you hear Richards on fire, with an excelling Taylor.

There were indeed countless shows where Wood was bad. I was at many of them. Not only that, he was bad in a way Taylor never was even on his worst night. Completely incoherent and barely in the band. I also strongly disagree that they got better starting in '75. TOTA had good things about it, but Wood taking over for Taylor was not one of them. Richards also had some of his worst performances in 75-76. But if you really believe the 75-and-later Stones were better than the 69-73 Stones, I can understand some of your opinions. I just don't buy the premise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-04 17:38 by 71Tele.

Date: October 4, 2010 18:15

saulsurvivor
I find it sad that you have to compare the guitarists at all. I'm defending Ronnie because I'm so friggin sick and tired of all the crap he gets from fans with a hard on for Taylor. It's nice for you that you think Taylor added so much to the band. I don't. I think Ronnie added more and did a great job of playing Taylor's licks in '75 and '76, while incorporating his own, before kicking ass in '78 and '81 in his own style. I think GHS is a joke. I think the best songs on IORR have very little to do with MT. I think the concept that "three members of the band" have ripped on Ronnie's playing means absolutely nothing. I think I've read all of those quotes and can honestly say that they were all tongue and cheek or, at the very least, taken out of context and absolutely misinterpreted by Taylor-hardies who need help coping with the fact that a guitarist they loved so very much hasn't been in The Rolling Stones since 1974. I don't envy you. That must be difficult to stomach, seeing your favorite band play with another guitarist for um...like, 36 years and counting.

I also find it sad that people on this board have undoubtedly attended Rolling Stones shows since Taylor's stint ended and have probably been watching this great, great band live and comparing the performance that is happening right in front of their faces to a bootleg cd of Brussels. How many of you sad, sad people have been listening to the band cook through a version of Tumbling Dice, or All Down The Line, and thought, "Sounds pretty good...but it ain't no Brussels." Seriously, that is beyond pathetic. You're watching the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World and comparing them to an earlier incarnation that the vast majority of you have only heard on tape or cd. Sad.

And, I don't know who said it, but the concept that MT's "greatest Stones guitarist" status is somehow cemented by the fact that Mick asked him, and not Ronnie, to play on the remaster of Exile is fffffrrriggin hilarious. Really!?! Grasp at straws much?! You don't think Mick considered the promotional/sales aspect of having MT play on PMS? You honestly don't think he knew you living-in- the-past freaks would run out and buy a bunch of copies and give it crazy good word of mouth if MT was on it? Your golden boy got used as a sales ploy, and it worked. Plus, let's not forget to mention the fact that modern day Jagger is often talked about on this board as if he can't write a good lyric, doesn't know good music, can't write a good song, doesn't hold a candle to his former self, ain't no Keith when it comes to soul, etc.... Ask yourselves this, if that's true, then do you really think he recognized the brilliance of MT and brought him in to let all of us hear that brilliance? I mean, according to many of you, Jagger wouldn't know brilliance these days if it bit him on the ass. But, noooooo, wait! Somehow he must've recognized the brilliance of MT....how can that be?

It's simple; Jagger knows what he's doing as a businessman and I think he still kicks ass as a musician/singer. He brought in Taylor to play leads that any of a thousand other guitarists could have done, and probably gave him plenty of coaching during the process. Again, it worked, overall a very successful remaster of a difficult, majestic, wonderfully uncompromising double album that more people cite as being brilliant than actually own it. Tough sell; great job by Jagger.

If MT and Bill end up on stage with the Stones during some 50th anniversary tour, that would be wonderful. I would welcome them with open arms to a band that has worked better than ever without them.

Peace,

Saul

Did you ever attend a Rolling Stones concert with Mick Melody Taylor in the band, Saul? Let me guess ... No.

Well, I did. And I also attended a Rolling Stones concert with Wood. Even twice, in 1976 and 1982. So I'm entitled to compare both versions of the band. Well, let me tell you this, my dear friend. When I was there in 1976 I really had very high expectations, because I didn't think at all about Taylor not being in the band. But when they were playing I thought: is this The True Rolling Stones or a nice Rolling Stones cover band with some struggling 'lead' guitarist? In 1982 I was there because my friends asked me to go with them. Well, in 1982 I thought: "What Am I Doing In This Place?"

Then, some months ago, I heard the Kansas concert in 1981 with Mick Melody Taylor, though he was hardly audible. But where he was audible I recognized the great band called The Rolling Stones immediately, even if it was for only some short moments. Then I realized how great they still could have been. But I don't complain at all, because I have all those Brian- and Mick Melody-era Rolling Stones albums and so many great live audio and video bootlegs from the Mick Melody-era.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-05 17:03 by kleermaker.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: October 4, 2010 19:45

I think sometimes the mistake is to give the impression that Taylor is somehow more important than the rest of the band. Mick Taylor was very much an enormous asset to the Rolling Stones, certainly within the sophistication of his playing, which, as is said so many times, is something the Stones never truly had before, or since. However, at the same time, the Stones exceptional song writing (and song structure), were very much responsible for giving his art (his guitar playing) a platform for which Mick could exhibit his considerable skill, which without, pretty much finds Mick lacking any context in which to apply himself (for example - as of today). Sometimes i believe too much is made of Mick's songwriting potential in the band, because had he been truly gifted in writing songs, i think 36 years on since he left the band we would have known. However, that's not to take anything away from his exceptional playing while in the band. To a degree, i agree with Doxa's analysis of the Stones having Taylor because he fitted with the guitar 'god' tag, which was very much in voque at the time, yet different guitar 'gods' such as Eric Clapton and Peter Green, of course have their own individuality too, within being great blues influenced guitar virtuosos (or players). My view is the Stones struck extremely lucky with Mick Taylor, because he brought so many elements to the group's sound which benefitted them so very greatly during the period he was with them. He could also take a less prominant role, certainly with the studio output, which the likes of the high profile Clapton may have found difficult to handle. It was the small things Taylor does, as well as the more prominant role, that endears him to me so greatly. He was an incredibly soulful player within the Stones, where his every note, however large or small its profile, really mattered. He fitted into the greater whole of the Stones sound most perfectly.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-04 20:06 by Edward Twining.

Date: October 4, 2010 20:27

Edward Twining
I think sometimes the mistake is to give the impression that Taylor is somehow more important than the rest of the band. Mick Taylor was very much an enormous asset to the Rolling Stones, certainly within the sophistication of his playing, which, as is said so many times, is something the Stones never truly had before, or since. However, at the same time, the Stones exceptional song writing (and song structure), were very much responsible for giving his art (his guitar playing) a platform for which Mick could exhibit his considerable skill, which without, pretty much finds Mick lacking any context in which to apply himself (for example - as of today). Sometimes i believe too much is made of Mick's songwriting potential in the band, because had he been truly gifted in writing songs, i think 36 years on since he left the band we would have known. However, that's not to take anything away from his exceptional playing while in the band. To a degree, i agree with Doxa's analysis of the Stones having Taylor because he fitted with the guitar 'god' tag, which was very much in voque at the time, yet different guitar 'gods' such as Eric Clapton and Peter Green, of course have their own individuality too, within being great blues influenced guitar virtuosos (or players). My view is the Stones struck extremely lucky with Mick Taylor, because he brought so many elements to the group's sound which benefitted them so very greatly during the period he was with them. He could also take a less prominant role, certainly with the studio output, which the likes of the high profile Clapton may have found difficult to handle. It was the small things Taylor does, as well as the more prominant role, that endears him to me so greatly. He was an incredibly soulful player within the Stones, where his every note, however large or small its profile, really mattered. He fitted into the greater whole of the Stones sound most perfectly.

This is exactly right! The Taylor-detractors miss the point entirely when they cite his meager solo career as evidence of why he was supposedly not that great. It was the Stones' songs that brought out something special in Taylor, and I think his playing brought out something unique in them. They made a deliberate decision when he left to go with someone who would not challenge them so much musically. That decision paid off in the short run (perhaps) but I would argue not in the long run. I do not fall into the camp who believe Taylor was some great unheralded songwriter, though perhaps they benefited more from his uncredited contributions by the time he left, as Richards was certainly not pulling his weight in that department at the time. So for me, it's not Taylor as a writer or soloist that I miss, it's Taylor as a Stone. Left to his own devices, it's true, he leans toward the more noodly blues and fusion styles of music that I find quite boring, but when given good Jagger/Richards material he was magic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-04 20:30 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 4, 2010 20:41

I certainly agree with Edward that the Stones were extremely lucky - I guess they couldn't even imagine what a wonderful player they got when they were seeking for a competent guitar player to take Brian's post. I can't imagine how things could have had been any better in those Taylor hey-day days. Taylor was perfect. Lucky bastards - them and us!

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-04 20:43 by Doxa.

Date: October 4, 2010 20:47

By the way, does anyone here know did any of the Stones actually have heard Taylor to play before he entered to the studio with them? I have never anything to indicate that. He sounded like coming from out of blue(s)... Someone just recommended him - who he was - John Mayall, Ian Stewart, Alexis Korner?

- Doxa

Date: October 4, 2010 20:59

Doxa
By the way, does anyone here know did any of the Stones actually have heard Taylor to play before he entered to the studio with them? I have never anything to indicate that. He sounded like coming from out of blue(s)... Someone just recommended him - who he was - John Mayall, Ian Stewart, Alexis Korner?

- Doxa

Recommended by John Mayall. Taylor had just left Mayall's band and Jagger asked Mayall about him.

By the way, it's very interesting that we have Tattoo You, an album on which both Wood and Taylor appear. Best of both worlds on that one. Taylor also is on Wood's first solo album, his best one, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-04 21:01 by 71Tele.

Date: October 4, 2010 21:06

71Tele
So for me, it's not Taylor as a writer or soloist that I miss, it's Taylor as a Stone.

So do I. Sorely. He 'lived' in the Stones songs back then and he still does, like he said in a recent interview. Plus: he added much to the rough material Richards and/or Jagger brought in. No need to mention (some of) it.

Date: October 4, 2010 21:14

71Tele
Doxa

- Doxa

Recommended by John Mayall. Taylor had just left Mayall's band and Jagger asked Mayall about him.

It is incredible how quickly all seemed to happen. From timeisonourside.com:

May 21, 1969: The Rolling Stones hold their last photo shoot with Brian Jones, near Tower Bridge in London, resulting in the cover used for the compilation album Through The Past, Darkly.

May 23, 1969: Mick Taylor performs his last concert with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.

May 31, 1969: Mick Taylor starts recording with the Rolling Stones, playing on Live with Me.

- Doxa

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 4, 2010 21:16

Taylor didn't really replace Brian's guitar, as Brian, except for rare occassions, had shut down his participation on that crucial instrument for years with the group. The Watts/Wyman/Richards rhythm monster is what became the core of the group. Taylor was icing on the cake. He expanded their sound, but he didn't significantly alter it. I mean it was still Keith monster riff, Charlie kicks in and then Bill pushes it all forward. Mick T was a complement to that basic formula. I can't think of a Mick Taylor riff on a famous Stones song that starts the song and carries it through. At least Brian can claim plenty of musical highlights that are upfront and crucial to Stones records. And I'm not slamming Mick Taylor. But in retrospect his musical dominance in his own Stones era is a bit overrated. He made them sound better sometimes, but overlooked is that the core group itself is what was pretty damn thrilling.

Date: October 4, 2010 21:28

kleermaker, in a sense Taylor became more vital as the Stones inspiration began to dwindle, to a degree to stop them sinking under. Songs like 'Winter' and 'Time Waits For No-One' are directly reliant on Taylor to sprinkle a little of his magic to proceedings, and to a sense, they become prime showcases for his sophisticated style of playing. There is a hollowness musically and campiness on the part of Jagger's vocals (which sometimes seems to become more pronounced when he's struggling to find inspiration) to these later songs resulting in them in desperate need of direction, and to a point Taylor provides it. Of course there are many earlier instances where he has been vital, if not instrumental to the successes of songs - 'Moonlight Mile' and 'Sway', for example, but those songs were always built on more solid foundations to begin with. Having said that, some of the more uptempo rockers on 'It's Only Rock 'N' Roll' were beyond being saved in terms of appearing more artistically impressive. That's pretty much why i believe had Taylor remained with the group, he would have had little chance of halting the decline, although he may have insured a few marginal or less inspiring songs, at least appeared to a degree a little more pleasing. However, that would have perhaps only happened on relatively few occasions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-04 21:34 by Edward Twining.

Date: October 4, 2010 21:34

Some more relevant quotes from great timeisonourside.com:

They certainly never made any comparisons between me and Brian. As far as they were concerned it was a new phase in their career. I was aware of being tested as a personality, but I never felt intimidated as a player. I was a bit overawed by it. I was very tense, very nervous and probably very introverted. They did what they could to make me feel relaxed. On a social level I was very much the new boy of the group. But I always felt we shared a musical rapport. I had to find my own level to become a part of their situation. It took me a long time to find myself within the group. It was a gradual process of fitting in with the band, playing in a way which contributed not only to the sound but to everything.
- Mick Taylor

Mick's [Jagger] always been a very ambitious person. And basically he wanted to get back out with a new guitarist, a new band and make lots of albums, you know, REACTIVE the whole thing. Becaue he felt they'd become... sort of a bit out of touch with the times and a bit stagnant, you know. And that's exactly what they did.
- Mick Taylor

And did they like him? You bet they did!

(With Mick Taylor, i)t's more of a BAND now. It's definitely a different band. It's @#$%& incredibly HARD now... And, with Mick - Mick's really GOOD - and it means Keith can sort of lay out and tune up in the middle of a tune. There's more time to think. And sometimes they'll get to tossing solos back and forth between the guitars, like on Sympathy for the Devil, and it's just great! It's beautiful to hear, and it's something we've never gotten into just that way before.
- Mick Jagger, December 1969

The boldings are mine.
smiling smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-04 21:38 by Doxa.

Date: October 4, 2010 22:02

Brian's contributions should never be underestimated either. I believe in the scheme of things he has been much more important than Mick Taylor, most obviously because he was the Stones founding member, and also because he added so much scope to the Stones sound while he was in the group. Sometimes, i feel his contributions are unfairly neglected, because to a point the Stones were very much trying out a variety of influences, which by and large, worked marvellously well, before narrowing their sights with Taylor to concentrate on what in later years would be regarded as their true forte (blues influenced rock). However, i think Brian's influence in those earlier years has incredible results, when looking through the Stones catalogue, because those early songs prove the Stones were very capable of interpreting a variety of genres with impressive, and often very inspiring results.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 4, 2010 22:10

<The Watts/Wyman/Richards rhythm monster is what became the core of the group. Taylor was icing on the cake. He expanded their sound, but he didn't significantly alter it. I mean it was still Keith monster riff, Charlie kicks in and then Bill pushes it all forward.> <24FPS>

Yep, did you read what Taylor had to say about them when the Stones started rehearsing with MT?

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 4, 2010 22:15

Yep - 1969 when MT joined he stated they could not tune their instruments and how all those studio extra musicians brought in, helped to finish studio records.

play that guitar boy

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 4, 2010 22:21

IF MT did not influence then why do songs like Winter, SWay, Moonlight Mile, TWFKO sound so magical they do not sound like stones songs because they have no real Keith Richards RIFF since he was missing in action. So on those songs MT helped out in the Studio and influenced jagger. Playing Live IF MT did not influence the band then why do MR, GS, Stray Cat,SFTD etc sound better live then the studio versions live.

play that guitar boy

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: October 4, 2010 22:26

Edward Twining
Brian's contributions should never be underestimated either. I believe in the scheme of things he has been much more important than Mick Taylor, most obviously because he was the Stones founding member, and also because he added so much scope to the Stones sound while he was in the group. Sometimes, i feel his contributions are unfairly neglected, because to a point the Stones were very much trying out a variety of influences, which by and large, worked marvellously well, before narrowing their sights with Taylor to concentrate on what in later years would be regarded as their true forte (blues influenced rock). However, i think Brian's influence in those earlier years has incredible results, when looking through the Stones catalogue, because those early songs prove the Stones were very capable of interpreting a variety of genres with impressive, and often very inspiring results.

Yes, exactly, and that era showed that, in any style of music they tried (be it psychedelia, music hall "Kinkish" pop, Dylan-influenced folk, etc.), they couldn't be beaten and were the best...and in Aftermath they came with a unique "blues-pop" kind of sound that was hardly ever achieved again by any band, including themselves.

Date: October 4, 2010 23:57

Yes, stones 78, not forgetting Brian played the main riff on 'The Last Time' and slide guitar on 'Little Red Rooster' too. I think it's a pity that even as early as 1964 Brian was becoming very much marginalised within the group. The recording by the Stones of 'Little Red Rooster', followed by Brian being asked to overdub his slide after all the other members had laid down their contributions, suggests even then he was beginning to feel left out. One of my favourite clips of Brian with the Stones is that of the live performance of 'Little Red Rooster' on the Ed Sullivan Show, where Brian appears very much in his blues element, where he takes that very prominant and impressive slide role. I think it's ironic that he should have been reported as saying he was dissatisfied with the direction the Stones music had been taking by the latter half of the sixties, when he played such a key role in broadening the Stones sound, and adding so much colour. I think by 68 the Stones were returning to greater blues influences with 'Beggars Banquet', where arguably Brian's main highlight (his slide playing on 'No Expectations'), should also prove one of the most impressive things to be found. The remark about him leaving because he didn't agree with the direction the Stones music was taking was something i find hard to swallow. However, Brian was about to hook up with John Mayall, to perform music which perhaps was not overtly blues influenced. John Mayall at this point in time was certainly getting in on the action, where the suggestion for Mick Taylor to join the Stones was concerned, and then the proposed collaboration with the recently departed Brian.

Date: October 5, 2010 00:17

Edward Twining
Yes, stones 78, not forgetting Brian played the main riff on 'The Last Time' and slide guitar on 'Little Red Rooster' too. I think it's a pity that even as early as 1964 Brian was becoming very much marginalised within the group. The recording by the Stones of 'Little Red Rooster', followed by Brian being asked to overdub his slide after all the other members had laid down their contributions, suggests even then he was beginning to feel left out. One of my favourite clips of Brian with the Stones is that of the live performance of 'Little Red Rooster' on the Ed Sullivan Show, where Brian appears very much in his blues element, where he takes that very prominant and impressive slide role. I think it's ironic that he should have been reported as saying he was dissatisfied with the direction the Stones music had been taking by the latter half of the sixties, when he played such a key role in broadening the Stones sound, and adding so much colour. I think by 68 the Stones were returning to greater blues influences with 'Beggars Banquet', where arguably Brian's main highlight (his slide playing on 'No Expectations'), should also prove one of the most impressive things to be found. The remark about him leaving because he didn't agree with the direction the Stones music was taking was something i find hard to swallow. However, Brian was about to hook up with John Mayall, to perform music which perhaps was not overtly blues influenced. John Mayall at this point in time was certainly getting in on the action, where the suggestion for Mick Taylor to join the Stones was concerned, and then the proposed collaboration with the recently departed Brian.

The statement issued by Brian ("I no longer see eye to eye with the others on the discs we are cutting" ) was pure PR to mask the real reasons for his dismissal - his inability to tour because of his drug arrests, and his near total incapacitation as a guitar player (see "Rock & Roll Circus" ).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-05 00:37 by 71Tele.

Date: October 5, 2010 00:24

Yes, exactly, 71 Tele, that's sort of the point i was trying to make, indirectly.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: October 5, 2010 04:34

71Tele
The statement issued by Brian ("I no longer see eye to eye with the others on the discs we are cutting" ) was pure PR to mask the real reasons for his dismissal - his inability to tour because of his drug arrests, and his near total incapacitation as a guitar player (see "Rock & Roll Circus" ).

Yes, it was pure PR for sure, but I don't think it was because of his 'incapacitation' as a guitar player. If Brian was the good soldier and made no waves ala Bill or Charlie, he would have remained in the band. The REASON why Brian and the Stones split was because he was no longer interested in staying with the group, as evidenced by his countless no-shows in the studio. Mick and Keith decided enough was enough, making the decision to pay Brian that final visit at his home and agreeing to end their professional relationship with him. If Brian was so incapacitated as a guitarist, then can you explain his superb slide contribution on No Expectations a mere year earlier?

Date: October 5, 2010 04:40

neptune
71Tele

Yes, it was pure PR for sure, but I don't think it was because of his 'incapacitation' as a guitar player. If Brian was the good soldier and made no waves ala Bill or Charlie, he would have remained in the band. The REASON why Brian and the Stones split was because he was no longer interested in staying with the group, as evidenced by his countless no-shows in the studio. Mick and Keith decided enough was enough, making the decision to pay Brian that final visit at his home and agreeing to end their professional relationship with him. If Brian was so incapacitated as a guitarist, then can you explain his superb slide contribution on No Expectations a mere year earlier?

Have you seen him in Rock & Roll Circus? He was completely out of it and probably not even plugged into the mix most of the time. He does rally for No Expectations, but half the time I think that's an overdub. Whether he could still play or not, he was not functioning with the group anymore, as one can clearly see in that film (which was his last performance with the Stones).

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 5, 2010 05:05

taylors influence integral and foundational. ry showed them where it could go on memo and a lot of bleed stuf . they taped EVERYTHING he played them. their country blues leanings gone deep authentis western. taylors grace notes and little country licks infused keiths steady handed punch. it was its own thing. take away any one gplayer uve got something else. taylor a full stone. no one replaced brian really. brian too original to be replicated. they didnt try and they never looked back. their deep fascination for american country blues idiom fulfilled brilliantly from uk bluesbreakers ennfante brilliante

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 5, 2010 05:12

u mite chek out htw w keith on lead btw . and bs. and hyde park and berry numbers on ya yas. taylo plays better rhytm than malcolm. whooooo

Date: October 5, 2010 05:31

Beelyboy
u mite chek out htw w keith on lead btw . and bs. and hyde park and berry numbers on ya yas. taylo plays better rhytm than malcolm. whooooo

True, and Taylor always accused by haters here of not being able to play rhythm. Rubbish.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1894
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home