Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Jagger' heroin addiction
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 2, 2010 19:10

Bob Colacello:
One night in April 1978, Andy[Warhol and I had dinner at La Grenouille with Mick Jagger, Jerry Hall, and Barbara Allen. Then we all went back to Mick and Jerry's suite at the Pierre Hotel to listen to an advance tape of the new Rolling Stones album... Mick rolled some joints and poured some coke out on the coffee table.

'Should I try it?' said Andy. 'Just this once to see what everybody's doing? Oh, I can't, I just can't.' Then he quickly stuck his finger in it and rubbed some on his gums. 'It's not really taking it,' he said. 'It doesn't get inside, does it? It's just making my mouth feel funny, like going to the dentist.'

Andy had obviously done this before, and he had figured out a way in his mind to take it without taking it... Then when he thought I wasn't looking, he stuck his finger in the pile and sniffed the coke up his nose.

'You took it, Andy', I said.

'I did not Bob. You're making it up.'

Everyone laughed, including Andy, and when Mick went into the bedroom for a minute, he nudged me and said, 'Do you think Mick will mind if we take some more?' He rubbed some more on his gums, saying again, 'This isn't really taking it.'

Later that same evening, we stoppped off at a small party on our way to Studio 54, and another guest took out some cocaine.

'Oh, I've never had it' Andy told him. 'Can you teach me how to use it? Explain every step to me. It's so fascinating.'

So he showed Andy how you chopped it up, put it in lines... and then most of us dipped in, including Andy.

Finally, at three in the morning, we made it to 54, where Andy ended up in the basement, playing pinball with a press scion in a boiler room.

Andy asked me to get more coke, and when I came back with a gram, he said, 'Oh, let's take it here, so nobody sees us.' I told him that everybody had seen him take it at the Pierre and the party, and he said, 'but I didn't take any anywhere, Bob.'

Then he rubbed his white-tipped fingers across his gums. 'I'm not taking it, Bob. I'm really not. You can't say I did.' "

Date: October 2, 2010 19:43

That's the extract from the article by Daily Telegraph

Hall's claims could throw fresh light on the infamous 1969 drugs bust at Sir Mick's Chelsea home. Scotland Yard officers claimed they found heroin and cannabis in the Cheyne Walk house.

However, Sir Mick maintained that a police officer framed him by planting a white powder in a Cartier box then asked for a £1,000 bribe to drop the charge. He escaped with a £200 fine and a lesser conviction for cannabis possession.

His claim to have been framed was detailed in files released by the National Archives in 2005. Documents showed that Robert Huntley, commander of Scotland Yard's criminal investigation department, led an internal investigation into Sir Mick's allegations.

Mr Huntley concluded: "No independent person was in earshot when this alleged demand was made and this can best be summarised as 'word against word'."

More about the subject(from NY Times)

THE Rolling Stones may be the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band, but for years it was the most notorious as well. One of the Stones' most infamous public dust-ups took place on May 28, 1969, when the police raided the London apartment of Mick Jagger. The bobbies said they found heroin, LSD and marijuana; Mr. Jagger insisted that the drugs had been planted there. Ultimately, he was fined 200 pounds (about $500) for possession of cannabis.

Some of the evidence that the police said they found at Mr. Jagger's London apartment.
Last week, the British National Archives released some 500 pages of documents about the case. Although they don't settle the question of who was telling the truth, they do offer some insight into the clash of two cultures during the Swinging Sixties.

Mr. Jagger's girlfriend, Marianne Faithfull, provided the police with her version of the bust.

I was in the basement kitchen with Christopher Gibbs and on looking from the window saw Mick being held by a lot of men. There was also a woman there. All the men were in plain clothes. I never heard anyone shout but saw someone's hand over Mick's mouth. The kitchen window was open. I cannot say whose hand was over Mick's mouth. I assumed Mick was being attacked by thugs and ran from the kitchen up the stairs to the front door, which I opened. At this Mick said, "Shut the door, you silly twit, it's the police."

In his statement, Mr. Jagger said that a detective sergeant, Robin Constable, framed him, using a white Cartier box taken from a tabletop.

When I saw Constable pick up the box I walked over to him, by which time he opened the box. He was holding it in his hand. He quickly pulled out a folded piece of white paper similar in composition to typing paper. I think he put the box down and opened the folded paper. He said, "Ah, ah, we won't have to look much further." He had a little while earlier been asking me where the LSD was. Constable was holding the unfolded paper up level with his eye roughly. As I got to him he showed me the paper and I saw it contained some white powder.

Mr. Jagger then accused the detective of planting heroin, and described conducting an on-site drug test.

We both examined the powder more closely in the light from the window. Constable licked one of his fingers and dipped it into the powder and tasted it. I did the same of my own volition. It had a talcum powder flavor. Constable said he didn't really know what it was. I said I thought it was talcum powder. I would not know what heroin tastes like but the flavor of the powder was not bitter.

In his statement, Mr. Jagger said the police suggested that he betray Ms. Faithfull to save his skin.

Gibbs and the other officer were in the far end of the room, the sitting room. He said, "Don't worry about it, Mick, we can sort it all out." I said, "No, we can't." He said, "Don't worry about it." I said, "I don't believe you can do anything." He said, "Yes, we can." I said, "How?" He said, "Well, you plead not guilty and she pleads guilty." By she I understood him to mean Marianne. I was taken aback.

According to Mr. Jagger, Mr. Constable said that a bit of bribery would smooth the way.

He said, "How much is it worth to you?" I didn't reply but merely shrugged my shoulders. He said, "Come on, how much is it worth to you?" He seemed to want me to name a figure but I did not want to. The conversation was being held in an undertone but not a whisper. He twice asked me how much it was worth. He then said "a thousand," but I never replied. After this he said to me, "You can have the money back if it doesn't work."

The commander of the criminal investigation department, Robert Huntley, who led the police internal inquiry into Mr. Jagger's charges, summed up the case.

The private persons interviewed during the course of this investigation represent extreme ends of a scale. At one end are public figures whilst at the other are the dregs of society. It is interesting to note that those who purport to give first hand evidence in support of the allegations are at the lower end of the scale, being drug users or trafficking in them.

The main allegation is that D.S. Constable solicited 1,000, based on his finding some white powder. No independent person was in earshot when this alleged demand was made and this can best be summarized as "word against word."

Here is how Scotland Yard signed off on the incident, with the "D. of P.P." referring to the director of public prosecutions.

The very serious allegations against three of the officers taking part in the raid at 48 Cheyne Walk are made by a very intelligent, shrewd and well known public figure with many influential friends. On the other hand he was being dealt with by an astute and experienced detective who was the leader of a thoroughly and carefully briefed team. ...

Notwithstanding an element of circumstantial and hearsay corroborative evidence, the matter finally comes down to the word of Jagger against that of Detective Sergeant Constable.

This is clearly a matter to be determined by the D. of P.P. and the papers are submitted accordingly.

The director of public prosecutions ultimately concluded that no action should be taken against the police. Several years later, senior detectives of Scotland Yard's drug squad were tried on charges of corruption much like the kind Mr. Jagger described

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 2, 2010 22:39

What a crock of you know what..............pure publicity to try and sell a book.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 3, 2010 04:51

Actually not a crock. Mick snorted smack for years and managed to keep in control. The joke around the Steve Bing crowd: "that's why they call him Mick Jagger", or "they don't call him Mick Jaggerfor nothing". The meaning simply that he's no ordinary human being.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 3, 2010 06:19

Always good to hear from you again, Teddy. Any word on further reissues or the Jagger-Dave Stewart supergroup seeing the light of day?

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: October 3, 2010 09:46

Jerry is bitter. I don't believe her. She is doing this for attention just like Angie Bowie pulled years ago.

htttp://www.last.fm/user/rocknrollcola

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 4, 2010 20:38

Bliss
I recall either reading or seeing an interview with Bianca a long time ago were she said Mick was dissolute and by the end of their marriage, he had slept with every single one of her friends.

I remember that article, one of the most revealing on Bianca. It was from 82 and probably the last time she spoke about her marriage to Mick. It was at that point where the bitterness was still obvious. There a moment in the interview where Bianca stops herself and speaks under her breath that she doesn't want to talk about Mick or something to that effect. The author wrote that from time to time, at the mention of Jagger, Bianca's eyes would fill with tears.
The think is, all these women, Jerry and Bianca etc....loved Mick in their own way and were hurt by his randy ways. Maybe this book by Jerry is a way to get back at Jagger, humiliate him or whatever. Or maybe its a way to validate the relationship. I don't know, but Mick obviously did a number on all his women. In the case of Marianne, she seemed to have that very English way of 'As long as I don't know about it.' And Jerry tolerated far more than she should have. Bianca couldn't handle it. Whatever the case, they've all lost some feathers from their relationship with Mick.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 5, 2010 00:20

stupidguy2
Bliss
I recall either reading or seeing an interview with Bianca a long time ago were she said Mick was dissolute and by the end of their marriage, he had slept with every single one of her friends.

I remember that article, one of the most revealing on Bianca. It was from 82 and probably the last time she spoke about her marriage to Mick. It was at that point where the bitterness was still obvious. There a moment in the interview where Bianca stops herself and speaks under her breath that she doesn't want to talk about Mick or something to that effect. The author wrote that from time to time, at the mention of Jagger, Bianca's eyes would fill with tears.
The think is, all these women, Jerry and Bianca etc....loved Mick in their own way and were hurt by his randy ways. Maybe this book by Jerry is a way to get back at Jagger, humiliate him or whatever. Or maybe its a way to validate the relationship. I don't know, but Mick obviously did a number on all his women. In the case of Marianne, she seemed to have that very English way of 'As long as I don't know about it.' And Jerry tolerated far more than she should have. Bianca couldn't handle it. Whatever the case, they've all lost some feathers from their relationship with Mick.

I seem to have a clear recollection that it was a television interview. Reading June Shelley's book about her time at Nellcote, she makes it clear that Mick was already bored with Bianca at that time. I can see an aloofness and wariness in Bianca toward Mick in CS Blues.

I have always been interested in the women in Mick's life because of the emotional response he engendered in me. I've thought about what it must have been like to be in their place. Marianne falling to pieces the day she learned of Mick's marriage....Marsha Hunt alone with Mick's baby at the same time he had his jet set wedding to Bianca, and later he denied paternity...the account above of Bianca clearly being wounded by Mick's betrayal...the years of humiliation Jerry experienced due to Mick's philandering, including him going off to be with Carla Bruni immediately following the birth of Jerry's baby...an article I read where Carla talked about the terrible pain of being involved with a married man, clearly describing her r/ship with Mick....L'Wren crying when first she heard 'Following the River' because she thought it was Mick's way of ending their r/ship.

It's hard to say who was hurt the most, but it seems the only ones who weren't hurt are the women who walked away from him. There have been a few.

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: October 5, 2010 00:31

Bliss
stupidguy2
Bliss

I seem to have a clear recollection that it was a television interview. Reading June Shelley's book about her time at Nellcote, she makes it clear that Mick was already bored with Bianca at that time. I can see an aloofness and wariness in Bianca toward Mick in CS Blues.

I have always been interested in the women in Mick's life because of the emotional response he engendered in me. I've thought about what it must have been like to be in their place. Marianne falling to pieces the day she learned of Mick's marriage....Marsha Hunt alone with Mick's baby at the same time he had his jet set wedding to Bianca, and later he denied paternity...the account above of Bianca clearly being wounded by Mick's betrayal...the years of humiliation Jerry experienced due to Mick's philandering, including him going off to be with Carla Bruni immediately following the birth of Jerry's baby...an article I read where Carla talked about the terrible pain of being involved with a married man, clearly describing her r/ship with Mick....L'Wren crying when first she heard 'Following the River' because she thought it was Mick's way of ending their r/ship.

It's hard to say who was hurt the most, but it seems the only ones who weren't hurt are the women who walked away from him. There have been a few.

It's going to make one hell of a movie one day, I guarantee it...Mick might be dead by then, but it's going to happen, and then the whole WORLD will know, what he doesn't want anyone to know.

edit: You know what I think? I believe that Marianne broke Mick's heart so bad, that he took it out on every woman he knew after that.

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-05 01:02 by stateofshock.

Posted by: nkt44 ()
Date: October 5, 2010 01:25

@stateofshock 'You know what I think? I believe that Marianne broke Mick's heart so bad, that he took it out on every woman he knew after that.'

Isn't that what Jerry once said? I think that's right. I think Marianne was the best girl he never though he would get. At the time when he still desperately needed validation. He craved class and respectability. Going out with this classy girl gave him that. Maybe not respectability ;-)

When it all fell apart he must have thought 'what now?'

BTW, I really like your posts Bliss >grinning smiley<

Date: October 5, 2010 02:19

stupidguy2
Bliss

The article was in Parade magazine.
Not so sure about Mick being "bored with bianca", I know that's the myth, but the music, for years, betrays that. I always tended to think that his relationship with Marianne was mythologized because of who she was - she fit. She even says that in her book. Mick and Bianca were temperamentally similar, and obviously very combustive and relationships like that can be complex. But I think the truth lies somewhere in the absolute avoidance in discussing it in any detail, by both parties.
I actually think Bianca hurt Jagger the most, contrary to the images they evoked. I know that's a rare opinion in Stonesdom. But hmmm....just a hunch.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: October 5, 2010 08:16

stupidguy2
[I actually think Bianca hurt Jagger the most, contrary to the images they evoked. I know that's a rare opinion in Stonesdom. But hmmm....just a hunch.

I don´t know if it is only a rumor or if it is true that Bianca never understood what he was doing. And that she told him to stop with that childish music-making and do something more meaningful. Being a creative person it must be hurtful to hear from your partner that you should give up that "stupid thing". If it is true.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 5, 2010 10:25

Who can resist me?

(photographer unknown)

- Doxa

Date: October 5, 2010 13:09

Women in Mick's life - is quite a topic. The entire catalog of TRS is about girls and relationships. So for him women are the most inspiring thing creatively. I don't get the view that "women' question" is strictly forbidden for serious fans discussion and for tabloids only

I don't think any woman "broke Mick's heart so bad, that he took it out on every woman he knew after that." He has addiction to sex, and always was like that, from the very beginning(at least, that what Keith said). As for his women - it's hard to cope with any addiction,especially with this one. Say, Keith didn't want to humiliate Anita and then Patti with his drugs taking and alcoholism, Mick didn' t want to humiliate his wives. the point is that the public opinion is so diferent in both cases.

Date: October 5, 2010 20:02

elunsi

I don´t know if it is only a rumor or if it is true that Bianca never understood what he was doing. And that she told him to stop with that childish music-making and do something more meaningful. Being a creative person it must be hurtful to hear from your partner that you should give up that "stupid thing". If it is true.

Hence, inspiring "It's Only ROck and Roll", who knows? Bianca has said she respects Mick as an artist and musician, performer, but Phillip NOrman has also suggested that Biancano had always been politically-charged and wanted Jagger to use his intellect, intelligence to be more socially relevant in his music. Maybe she wanted him to be Bono....('You keep on telling me I ain't your kind of man...'..) Songs like Undercover, Indian Girl, which is directly about the Sandinista revolution, are obviously relevant to issues his ex was connected to. Bianca is he wildcard in the discussion of Mick's women, because we know very little. The "Bianca is a bitch, aloof" stories are bountiful in the Stones lexicon and I've been reading every book, anecdote, interview, article for more than 35 years. But there is still something intrigueing about that relationship.
For instance, this is an article from Dylan associate Al Aronowitz and it provides a different side to the relatioship, one we don't see often, but that hints that there was more than the public persona and Stones mythology.

[www.blacklistedjournalist.com]

And what I love most about the Stones is that in every way, they stand apart, even their women. We all have impressions of each, but I doubt Led Zep fans could debate the merits of their band's women.

Date: October 5, 2010 20:19

proudmary
Women in Mick's life - is quite a topic. The entire catalog of TRS is about girls and relationships. So for him women are the most inspiring thing creatively. I don't get the view that "women' question" is strictly forbidden for serious fans discussion and for tabloids only

This is true. I think we all have our opinions and have our favorite Stones chick, but we're supposed to serious fans, so we don't get into the more "tabloid" aspect of their lives. But that's bullshit because most of us love to read about it. The Stones are fascinating, in part, because of drama that surrounds that great music. The Stones are artists. Aren't people fascinated by Zelda Fitzgerald? For me personally, it humanizes the music and that's what made me fall in love the music in the first place. It had context and yes, the women were part of that, whether its Keith singing about Anita in You've Got the Silver, Mick about Chrissie Shrimpton, Marianne, Bianca or Jerry at any given time - if the song is good, then the inspiration is real. Its a legitimate discussion. BTW, I detect a strong feminince prescence in this thread. Despite my posting name, I'm a chick. From personal experience, I think guys are less likely read too much into the personal aspect of the lyrics, while maybe us women are more likely to give it more thought, in terms of how it affects the art.
proudmary, Bebe Buell said she believes that Mick was hurt by Bianca and that was why he treated Jerry Hall the way he did, that he never wanted to let a woman have that much emotional control over him again.

Date: October 5, 2010 20:37

Bebe Buell said she believes that Mick was hurt by Bianca and that was why he treated Jerry Hall the way he did, that he never wanted to let a woman have that much emotional control over him again.

OK, Bebe Buell... But I don't buy all she said. Some things ring like true, and others are pure fiction.

BTW,stupidguy2 I got you are the girl pretty quickly. I like your nicksmiling smiley

Date: October 5, 2010 21:24

Doxa
Who can resist me?

(photographer unknown)

- Doxa

WOOOW!

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Date: October 5, 2010 21:27

proudmary

I don't think any woman "broke Mick's heart so bad, that he took it out on every woman he knew after that." He has addiction to sex, and always was like that, from the very beginning(at least, that what Keith said). As for his women - it's hard to cope with any addiction,especially with this one. Say, Keith didn't want to humiliate Anita and then Patti with his drugs taking and alcoholism, Mick didn' t want to humiliate his wives. the point is that the public opinion is so diferent in both cases.

Yeah, well, whatever...it's all speculation...you're not an expert, I'm not the expert, none of us are. We're only guessing. I think the truth is somewhat of a combination of all our theories. smiling smiley

Date: October 5, 2010 21:37

proudmary

BTW,stupidguy2 I got you are the girl pretty quickly. I like your nicksmiling smiley

I like nondescript monikers! Was it that obvious? The fascination with the more esoteric? I knew it! lol

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: October 5, 2010 21:44

Just ask Eric Burdon...

Date: October 5, 2010 22:13

I like nondescript monikers

I was looking for the obvious nick, but all Stones related girls' names had already been taken. So,'couse Credence is my 2nd favorite band, the choice was simple

Date: October 5, 2010 23:25

I didn't want to be StupidGirl....StupidGuy makes more sense.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: October 5, 2010 23:34

I thought that Keith said that Mick regarded women as 'cattle', and that he never took them that seriously. Sounds like it's the women who are trying to make it as if he did. winking smiley

Date: October 6, 2010 00:28

Brue
I thought that Keith said that Mick regarded women as 'cattle', and that he never took them that seriously. Sounds like it's the women who are trying to make it as if he did. winking smiley

Mick has some serious issues with women dating back to the beginning. The misogyny is obvious. I don't know if its that's an English thing or what. Keith is probably right to some extent, but at the heart of every true misogynist is fear and insecurity. I also think Mick has gotten more than he bargained for. He was obviously attracted to Marianne and Bianca for their intellect as well as beauty so and even Jerry Hall was somewhat independent. That says alot. Mick may be a true romantic at heart who happens to like to @#$%& alot.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: October 6, 2010 00:38

stupidguy2
Mick may be a true romantic at heart who happens to like to @#$%& alot.

I think that´s it, you solved the problem :-)

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: October 6, 2010 01:04

stupidguy2
Brue

Mick has some serious issues with women dating back to the beginning. The misogyny is obvious. I don't know if its that's an English thing or what. Keith is probably right to some extent, but at the heart of every true misogynist is fear and insecurity. I also think Mick has gotten more than he bargained for. He was obviously attracted to Marianne and Bianca for their intellect as well as beauty so and even Jerry Hall was somewhat independent. That says alot. Mick may be a true romantic at heart who happens to like to @#$%& alot.

Textbook response. It's pretty much impossible for most females to put themselves in his position where he can do almost anybody whenever he wants, and doesn't have to listen to somebody complain when he's not home at a certain time. When he gets tired of one, he goes onto the next one. One thing women never seem to really accept/understand is that a man has to be attracted to someone in order to perform sex. Can't get aroused without it. A woman doesn't necessarily have to do that in order to perform. Men make other excuses so as to not hurt their feelings, but most of the time that's what it is. So when the minuses outweigh the plusses, and they're turned off, they move on if they're in a position like Jagger.
Case in point - Jo Wood was talking about how she'd like to find a man a week or two ago. You don't see Ronnie having that problem do you? That's just the way it is, good or bad.

Posted by: nkt44 ()
Date: October 6, 2010 02:46

Doxa
Who can resist me?

(photographer unknown)

- Doxa

Awww, Doxa you've really made my day with this picture! Never seen it before.

Date: October 6, 2010 04:05

Brue
stupidguy2

Textbook response. It's pretty much impossible for most females to put themselves in his position where he can do almost anybody whenever he wants, and doesn't have to listen to somebody complain when he's not home at a certain time. When he gets tired of one,
Case in point - Jo Wood was talking about how she'd like to find a man a week or two ago. You don't see Ronnie having that problem do you? That's just the way it is, good or bad.

Textbook male response, if it so suits you, Brue..lol
I've always believed that are the needy ones. Case in point, has Mick ever been without someone? Nope, he went from one to the other with little time in between, Like most men, they need a crutch, no matter how randy or nonchalant they pretend to be. I think Jagger is a perfect example of that. He @#$%& and @#$%& everything, but falls apart when his women gets fed up and ends it. Has Mick ever ended any of his relationships, intentionally? Again, nope. Marianne, Bianca, Jerry Hall and Anita for that matter - all have remained primarily unattached. They seem empowered by singledom. I get that its somehow empowering for some guys to get off on the idea that rock stars don't give a shit, but women know better. They need a woman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 6, 2010 12:23

I really like your contribution Stupidguy2. Very valid points and accurate insights. There is so much invested in this pheneomenon called The Rolling Stones that goes way beyond, say, the guitar magazine stuff. And I'm sure that even the people who claim that tehy are only interested in music and nothing but music are actually fancied by some non-musical features (teh eay to perform, the personality, life style, the looks, etc.). For example, Keith Richards wouldn'te be such a hero and icon if only music would matter. And what about the whole idea of frontmanship Jagger represents best in the world? Sometimes is really difficult to draw the line what really matters and what not. The 'muse' section is one of those.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-06 12:31 by Doxa.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1304
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home