Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rolling Stones...Unplugged
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 27, 2010 15:41

A Stones concert unplugged only could be great if it was once in a while. On a regular basis I would end up missing the electricity!

Re: "stripped" The only complaint I have with that particular project is that we don't have acoustic versions of "electric" songs. The acoustic songs of the album were more or less born that way to start with.

A plus of the MTV Unplugged concept was to provide a completely different version of music that was usually played relaying on heavy distortion and electric instruments in general.

C

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 27, 2010 15:54

Actually if I think of it now, I think they are to late to do it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 27, 2010 15:57

Here you are..too late indeed.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 27, 2010 17:38

audun-eg
LeonidP
And to top it off, they ruined the most beautiful track of all! Although it was not on the album (it was a b-side), the version of Tumbling Dice starts off so unbelievably amazing, almost gospel-like. I would have loved to hear that in its entirety -- but they instead decided that Stones fans couldn't handle something too differently and edit in a normal live version after a small bit of time. That makes me soooo angry!! I'd pay a lot to hear that version all the way thru.

Are you kidding? The moment they kick in the live/band part, they roll out one of the tightest and best versions ever recorded of that song.
Also the intro seems to to be a quick one-mike recording of a vocal warm up before a gig or something. They may not have gone through the whole song either, for all we know. Still charming, though.

Actually then, that means they screwed this up two times. That gospel version starts out amazing and I'd like to hear it completely (although its possible, as you say, that they never did a full version). And if that edited live version that kicks in is, as you say, the best version - then they equally ruined that one as well by not including that from the beginning. Either way, I hate it as it is, a combo of both.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: September 27, 2010 18:53

Stripped was a great record. It's actually the first Stones album I bought myself and when I heard their version of Like A Rolling Stone, I was moved!! The acoustic/electric vibe and the deep cuts make it a really cool album. I think though that they could issue a totally acoustic album and perhaps a mini-tour playing theaters with an even more stripped down set then on Stripped...soul and blues songs, ballads and whatnot. Would be sooo cool!

possible setlist could include:

Tumbling Dice
Sweet Virginia
Play With Fire
Back of My Hand (like it or not, they would probably stick this in there)
You Gotta Move
Prodigal Son
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Angie
Loving Cup
Coming Down Again (keith on piano!)
Memory Motel
Torn And Frayed
Sister Morphine
Stray Cat Blues
Love In Vain
2000 Man
As Tears Go By
--some blues covers
--some soul covers

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 27, 2010 19:14

sweetcharmedlife

Geez ! Where was I back in 1995 ? In Montpellier ( FRance )
Wish I were there .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 27, 2010 19:19

I really don't think they (Keith and Ronnie especially) are able anymore to play a whole set acoustically. It's harder than playing electric, and they already have problems with that.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 27, 2010 19:51

The Greek
to me it's like neutering the stones.

i was gonna say the stones don't have the balls for it...but i guess they wouldn't if they did do it....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 27, 2010 21:13

T&A
The Greek
to me it's like neutering the stones.

i was gonna say the stones don't have the balls for it...but i guess they wouldn't if they did do it....
you always make me laugh. even on a monday ,which i might add is going pretty good .got a good night's sleep .so i am firing on all cylinders .

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 27, 2010 22:45

...what's left 1, 2 possibly 3 more records...I'd like to see a few more covers from them...they do great covers...

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: September 30, 2010 05:05

Rip This
...what's left 1, 2 possibly 3 more records...I'd like to see a few more covers from them...they do great covers...

Agreed. How about entire album devoted to Bob Dylan covers? Now that would be special.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 30, 2010 05:25

Unplugged bullshit - the acoustic guitars are plugged in. Stripped is brilliant in the way that it's just the Stones doing what they do, of which they use acoustic guitars ANYWAY.

Date: September 30, 2010 17:01

skipstone
Unplugged bullshit - the acoustic guitars are plugged in. Stripped is brilliant in the way that it's just the Stones doing what they do, of which they use acoustic guitars ANYWAY.

Unplugged generally means no electric guitars, although there are some in Stripped - possibly another reason they didn't call it Unplugged like other bands.

Date: September 30, 2010 19:41

I get that. It's just a horrifically lame term for it.

Date: September 30, 2010 20:42

skipstone

never thought about it too much but i suppose you're correct. still if they left it truly unplugged, would you be able to hear the acoustic guitars all that well?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 30, 2010 20:51

skipstone

just a term. don't let it get to you, skippy. the band isn't a bunch of tumbling rocks, either, btw....

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 2, 2010 14:51

LeonidP
skipstone

Unplugged generally means no electric guitars, although there are some in Stripped - possibly another reason they didn't call it Unplugged like other bands.

there have been unplugged shows on mTV where they used electric intsruments, also electric guitars plugged in an amp

Date: October 2, 2010 14:54

Rip This

do you mean studio albums or also live stes. if they´re making a studio album again, it´ll be their last. i don´t belive that there will be a follow up with new stuff. maybe they release this tattoo you 2 from 99 or so but that´s it. so maybe just one labum left until the end.

Date: October 2, 2010 15:57

bluesinc.
LeonidP
skipstone

there have been unplugged shows on mTV where they used electric intsruments, also electric guitars plugged in an amp

ummm ... ok, that's what i was saying

Date: October 2, 2010 16:24

T&A - it GOT me!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: October 2, 2010 17:48

LeonidP
bluesinc.
LeonidP
skipstone

I meant on MTV Unplugged shows, not on stripped. there are some MTV Unplugged shows where musicians played electric guitar for instance. I don´t mean the stones or stripped

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: October 2, 2010 20:50

Stripped is easily my favorite cd of theirs released in the past 20 years. Love it.

I heard somewhere a while back that there's a "Stripped Vol. II" bootleg out there? Anyone have any info on it?

In a few years, when you see a "Rolling Stones...Unplugged" thread here, it will be about unplugging them from their oxygen tanks and kidney dialysis machines.drinking smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 2, 2010 20:58

there's a stripped companion disc that contains some of the leftovers recorded in tokyo - some of those showed up on other legit releases, too. and contains some of the cuts that made the companion video....worth seeking out....

Posted by: Keessie ()
Date: October 2, 2010 21:16

I was on the 26th May, 1995 at the first show in Paradiso, Amsterdam.
It was the best show i ever seen

Gr Ray

Date: October 3, 2010 06:43

bluesinc.
LeonidP
bluesinc.
LeonidP
skipstone

I meant on MTV Unplugged shows, not on stripped. there are some MTV Unplugged shows where musicians played electric guitar for instance. I don´t mean the stones or stripped

yes, i meant the same thing ... as i said, it 'generally' means no electric, but obviously some bands add electric guitars during their shows (but many bands don't)

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: October 5, 2010 23:19

Stripped is a great album,but haven't they always had acoustic songs on most of their albums? Beggars Banquet from 1968 is mostly an all acoustic album.
As tears Go By,Tell Me,Almost Hear You Sigh etc, even Satisfaction has an acoustic on that song,Jumping Jack Flash is really an acoustic (Gibson Hummingbird).

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 5, 2010 23:52

....I could care less if they ever give us an album of newly written songs...been there done that....ABB was beyond hype...the best ever since etc etc......I'd take covers from them any time.....live or studio are always great. They have an ear for great music..they've written so much of it themselves....lets hear more of their take on great material with their spin on it...they can be relevant by teaching a whole new generation even of what influenced them or even what makes them stop and listen now...and their interpretation of it..and I'm not necessarily talking another Chuck Berry tune...they can go deeper....Johnny Cash/Rick Rubin is an excellent example.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home