Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Philadelphia Chippy! Was a Stones city
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: September 25, 2010 18:19

This city had a huge Stones army...back in 78/81...i am hearing a dvd now from 2002...i like it....tell me everything about this city....they tell me its a hard town.....please share your memories...seeing the stones..in this town....should i go there?....i could drink a few pinta with chippy!!0hhhh philly freedom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-25 18:47 by rooster.

Re: Philadelphia Chippy! Was a Stones city
Date: September 25, 2010 18:48

Whats happening there in Philly?

Date: September 25, 2010 18:51

Well i know it was...always tense and kind of nervous...these shows..sloppy..but hell i even like the 78 show!..i know Debra was there

Date: September 25, 2010 18:52

Who like this town?

Date: September 25, 2010 18:55

I like chippy from our forum.....if i remember well...he doesnt live in the inner city.....cheers

Date: September 25, 2010 18:58

All pictures are welcome by the by

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: September 25, 2010 19:20

I don't understand what the hell your going on about, what do you want?

Date: September 25, 2010 19:24

were the big bulk of the crowd.....from the 78/81. shows.....from NY?

Date: September 25, 2010 19:29

I mean you talk about a 100.000 people per show you know

Date: September 25, 2010 19:59

Come go listen to the''miss you'' licks tour 02 version...jagger plays the harp!...aint that something!

Posted by: shawnriffhard ()
Date: September 25, 2010 21:18

Hey Rooster. I'm a Philly resident. I lived in Sacramento for a long time and before that in South Jersey. Philly is a big Stones town. More impact and a different kind of love for them here; sort of like they belong to us, but like a tremendously beautiful girl that you know is going to leave in the morning. Always on the radio, tribute bands (Glimmer Twins, Shattered) do well. Pierre Robert (WMMR dj)has had a long relationship with them.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 26, 2010 06:48

An OK college town with the most obnoxious sports fans in the world. Stay away from Geno's if you don't speak the King's English.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 26, 2010 06:57

Never saw the Stones play there, but its not easy walking around Philly wearing a Mets or Giants shirt!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 26, 2010 06:59

originally from outside of the philly area but was always a stones town . the 2 major radio stations would play a bunch of stones tunes in what they called blocks and have rolling stones a-z weekends. philly was usually one of the first in the states to premier new songs as well. as for sports , philly fans are rough and hard to please but once they accept a player they'll stand by them no matter what.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 26, 2010 18:06

Hey Rooster
Sadly, I'm not from Philly, and never have been there. But I'm glad to know that Philadelphia is a Stones citysmiling smiley
I've been looked for the interview with Keith from ROLLING STONE Oct.1988.
You posted 1 page of it on your tread(the great one, thanks).
Can you post the rest of it, please?
It's the only interview with any Stone, they don't have on the RollingStone.com(Imean All access)

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: September 26, 2010 19:50

My Hometown...My Band

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 26, 2010 19:57

Yes, Rooster I was at that awful '78 show but my experiences after that one in Philly have all been wonderful. I prefer the arena shows ( First Union Center, now Watchovia Center) to the outside gigs anyway; Philly is a welcoming, friendly city, from my experiences and the truly love the Stones and show it. I walked around alone much of the time when I've been there to see the Stones and it always felt quite safe. The '78 gig was just a weird show and a crazy, drunken crowd and it happens. I survived, and still kept returning to Philly for some of the best Stones gigs, ones that I am so thankful to have experienced. The No Security shows were over the top awesome.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: September 26, 2010 23:43

I'm from Philly area, 78 was my first show.. there have been other threads about that one. The day the tour opening 81 shows were announced, Mick came down to JFK to meet with the press and fans. I was there for the 2nd show. Yes, there was a special relationship with Philly and Stones back then, and Philly was, is and will always be a BIG rock and roll town. If you're ever there, go down to South Street and have a Margarita at Copabanana.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: September 27, 2010 00:28

I'm in Philly. Tower Theatre in 2002 was one of the best shows I've seen.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: September 27, 2010 02:04

Huge Stones city! Saw both the '97 and '99 shows there and the town was Stones crazy.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 27, 2010 02:42

rooster
This city had a huge Stones army...back in 78/81...i am hearing a dvd now from 2002...i like it....tell me everything about this city....they tell me its a hard town.....please share your memories...seeing the stones..in this town....should i go there?....i could drink a few pinta with chippy!!0hhhh philly freedom

'78/'81 thats the exact years when I lived there..went to the Philadelphia College of Art..Broad and Spruce, at the time. now its called University of the Arts, and I don't know where it is. Amazing city for art education. Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art was down the street...Phila Museum of Art, world class...Moore College of Art..U of Penn downtown campus...Barnes Foundation nearby
all was cool in my world at that time, an art student...even got a band going at school.
Anyone else on the board here go to PCA?

Posted by: oldbarbarian78 ()
Date: September 27, 2010 20:50

I lived in Philly from college until about one year ago (I am 32 now) and I miss it immensely. I love hearing fan's association of the great city with the great band that we all love so much. I saw the trilogy in 2002 and became immersed in the Stones-mania that gripped the city at that time. Even got to meet Keith at the Four Seasons. I don't know if its Philly's roots in soul and blues that makes it click so well with the Stones, but the love for them there is undeniable!!!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 27, 2010 21:01

georgeV
Huge Stones city! Saw both the '97 and '99 shows there and the town was Stones crazy.

I was there for the '99 show, and it was definitely a great crowd, among the very best I have seen in the USA.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 27, 2010 21:10

a great town .my first stones show tour opener in 1981 .have been back for sixers games a few times and even caught the phillies at the old veterans stadium.lot's of fun .our first night in town ,the night before the stones opener in 1981 ,we were eating breakfast in some diner and there was some fight ,then the cops came dragged out this guy just outside the door and beat the piss out of him .we were all like dont mess with philly's finest or else !

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 13, 2011 06:16

Any other examples of PHILLY SOUL from Stones?

Elton&Bowie

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: November 13, 2011 12:20

There's a Philadelphia Chippy in Glasgow.

[www.yelp.co.uk]

Posted by: Jelly Face Joe ()
Date: November 13, 2011 17:01

The gritty sound of the Stones music was a perfect match for this gritty, blue- collar town. We drank quarts of beer on the street corners with the Stones blaring out of boom boxes. We may always lose with our sports teams, but we always WIN with the Stones.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: November 13, 2011 21:42

Actually, 78 was a very rock n roll show. One of my favorites, with a great line up. 69 was my first Stones show in Phila, so very memorable. The 72 shows were wild, a crazy time. But the 75 shows were quite something, the way the crowd pushed up against the star stage at the Spectrum. Made it very intimate.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home