Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Maroon 5's 'Jagger' Moves to No. 1 on Billboard's Hot 100
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 31, 2011 23:11

[www.billboard.com]

Mick is #1 in the U.S. with his name on a title song, first time in history for a musician isn't it?

Re: Maroon 5's 'Jagger' Moves to No. 1 on Billboard's Hot 100
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 31, 2011 23:17

Very cool. I like the song and I love the video. I love how they blurred the females and males together so that you somtimes couldn't tell what was what, capturing the androgynous swagger. It also makes you realize how one-of-a-kind Mick really is. Nobody can quite do him.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 31, 2011 23:41

not the biggest fan of Xtina lately, but she makes this song...and the remixes are dynamite.....

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 31, 2011 23:46

georgelicks
[www.billboard.com]

Mick is #1 in the U.S. with his name on a title song, first time in history for a musician isn't it?

I remember a pop hit back in the 80's called "When Smokey Sings" that was a tribute to Smokey Robinson. Don't think that one got to #1 though.

"Bette Davis Eyes" references an actress as opposed to a musician.

Drawing a blank after those two titles...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 31, 2011 23:55

mr_dja

Mr DJA

Wasn't it "Bette Davis Eyes" the very song that stand in the way for "Start Me Up" to reach #1 in Billboard?

- Doxa

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 1, 2011 00:00

I am not much of a big fan of hers anymore, but I still like this one.

Date: September 1, 2011 00:08

Doxa
mr_dja

Mr DJA

Wasn't it "Bette Davis Eyes" the very song that stand in the way for "Start Me Up" to reach #1 in Billboard?

- Doxa

Start Me Up was #2 during 3 weeks, the numbers #1 at the time were Christopher Cross's Arthur's Theme (October 31) and Daryl Hall's Private Eyes (November 7 & 14)

Date: September 1, 2011 00:38

This is a gooder too

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: September 1, 2011 01:06

“Barbra Streisand” is a disco house song by American-Canadian DJ duo Duck Sauce. It was released on 10 September 2010. The song peaked at number one in Poland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Finland, Switzerland and Austria. It became a top ten hit in Australia, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy and the UK.
It reached number one in the US on Billboard's Hot Dance Club Songs chart on the week ending on 18 December 2010.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: September 1, 2011 01:59

bo diddley by bo diddley was #1

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 1, 2011 04:13

georgelicks
Doxa
mr_dja

Mr DJA

- Doxa

Start Me Up was #2 during 3 weeks, the numbers #1 at the time were Christopher Cross's Arthur's Theme (October 31) and Daryl Hall's Private Eyes (November 7 & 14)

DAMN!!

Looks like "Start Me Up' got stuck between the Moon and NYC!

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 1, 2011 15:48

Maroon 5 worried over "cockiness" of new single 'Moves Like Jagger'
Thursday, September 1 2011, 10:27 BST 1 comment
By Lewis Corner, Music Reporter

Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine has said that he feared a backlash from fans when they debuted their new single.

The band have recently released their latest track 'Moves Like Jagger', which centres around Rolling Stones legend Mick Jagger and features guest vocals from Christina Aguilera.

However, Levine has admitted to feeling worried that the public would think he was trying to compare himself to the British rock icon.

The singer told the Daily Star: "It was a bit of a bold statement to make in a song and I was worried about the cockiness of it all.

"It's not meant to be about me moving like Jagger, honest. It's about everyone moving like Jagger."

He added: "It's about encouraging people to lose their self-consciousness on the dance floor and just move, like Mick used to.

"Then, the more I thought about it, the more I was turned on by the cheekiness and audacity of the song, so we went with it."
[www.digitalspy.co.uk]

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 1, 2011 18:32

Shezeboss
“Barbra Streisand” is a disco house song by American-Canadian DJ duo Duck Sauce. It was released on 10 September 2010. The song peaked at number one in Poland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Finland, Switzerland and Austria. It became a top ten hit in Australia, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy and the UK.
It reached number one in the US on Billboard's Hot Dance Club Songs chart on the week ending on 18 December 2010.

My daughter is crazy about that one .When are the god times gone when she used to listen Mozart ?

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: September 1, 2011 19:51

mr_dja

I remember a pop hit back in the 80's called "When Smokey Sings" that was a tribute to Smokey Robinson. Don't think that one got to #1 though.

Drawing a blank after those two titles...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Aye - that was ABC, by the way. Good tune, that!

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 1, 2011 19:56

proudmary
Maroon 5 worried over "cockiness" of new single 'Moves Like Jagger'
Thursday, September 1 2011, 10:27 BST 1 comment
By Lewis Corner, Music Reporter

Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine has said that he feared a backlash from fans when they debuted their new single.

The band have recently released their latest track 'Moves Like Jagger', which centres around Rolling Stones legend Mick Jagger and features guest vocals from Christina Aguilera.

However, Levine has admitted to feeling worried that the public would think he was trying to compare himself to the British rock icon.

The singer told the Daily Star: "It was a bit of a bold statement to make in a song and I was worried about the cockiness of it all.

"It's not meant to be about me moving like Jagger, honest. It's about everyone moving like Jagger."

He added: "It's about encouraging people to lose their self-consciousness on the dance floor and just move, like Mick used to.

"Then, the more I thought about it, the more I was turned on by the cheekiness and audacity of the song, so we went with it."
[www.digitalspy.co.uk]

No matter what he says, it's still a total piece of shit "song".

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 1, 2011 20:10

Max'sKansasCity
I am not much of a big fan of hers anymore, but I still like this one.

I've seen her in concert and that guy in the red shirt is an absolute monster on lead guitar. If Keith can't make it, they should give him a call. I forget his name, but he's got a sweet tone on slide.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 1, 2011 20:54

i like the video, love seeing the old mick clips

Date: September 1, 2011 21:06

drbryant
I've seen her in concert and that guy in the red shirt is an absolute monster on lead guitar. If Keith can't make it, they should give him a call. I forget his name, but he's got a sweet tone on slide.

I dont know about replacing Keith, but I saw her a couple of times, and yes, her backing band could really play well.

Date: September 1, 2011 21:18

It bugged me that I couldnt recall his name, so I looked it up... Peter Stroud... yes he is a great player. I kind of lost interest in Sheryl.... for various reasons... but I heard she replaced her entire band on her last go round (I have no opinion on that) but she has had great success doing her thing, and I am sure she will keep on keeping on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-01 21:20 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 2, 2011 05:15

the song blows. ooooooofff! beach blanket be bop bullshit.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 2, 2011 06:16

....it's on the radio as much as Gaga and Adele...maybe it'll give Mick some incentive to get back and strike while the iron is hot with Keith.

Date: September 3, 2011 05:24

[www.billboard.com]

JAGGER-NAUT: Like a Rolling Stone, Maroon 5's "Moves Like Jagger," featuring Christina Aguilera, ascends 2-1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

While the coronation causes celebration for the band and Aguilera, it likewise adds new levels of Billboard chart history to the discography of the subject of the ode, Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger.

Not that Aguilera's return to the top isn't notable, as well. Her gap of 10 years, three months and one week between reaching No. 1 with "Jagger" and her last leader, "Lady Marmalade" (with Lil' Kim, Mya and P!nk), in 2001 ends the longest break between leading the list since her "Burlesque" co-star Cher set the Hot 100 record for longest span between No. 1s in 1999, when "Believe" ended a 25-year, two-week hiatus following her reign with "Dark Lady" in 1974.

As for Jagger, however, let's spend (some time) together looking at how his chart legacy is enhanced courtesy of the Hot 100's new No. 1.

As "Jagger" jumps to No. 1, the real-life Jagger becomes the first artist to have ruled the Hot 100 and be name-checked in the title of a topper by another act. (That's not even counting the Temptations' 1972 No. 1 "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone," since it doesn't refer to the band specifically). The Stones scored eight No. 1s in 1965-78.

Jagger additionally joins the select company of three icons as the only musicians named in the titles of Hot 100 No. 1s.

Here is an updated look at the feted foursome:

Ludwig van Beethoven
"A Fifth of Beethoven," Walter Murphy & the Big Apple Band, 1976

Duke Ellington
"Sir Duke," Stevie Wonder, 1977

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
"Rock Me Amadeus," Falco, 1986

Mick Jagger
"Moves Like Jagger," Maroon 5 featuring Christina Aguilera, 2011

"Approaching 50 years since he began recording music, and 47 years after his first Hot 100 chart appearance, there is no hotter name to drop in lyrics these days than Mick Jagger," writes Chart Beat reader Patrick Kelly of Brampton, Ontario, Canada.

"The legendary rocker was previously mentioned in Ke$ha's 2010 chart-topper 'TiK ToK': 'We kick 'em to the curb unless they look like Mick Jagger!'

"Jagger is additionally the title subject of the recent UK No. 1 'Swagger Jagger' by 'X Factor' graduate Cher Lloyd and has been mentioned in three other Hot 100 top 10s in the past four years: the Black Eyed Peas' 'The Time (Dirty Bit)' (No. 4, 2010); Jay-Z and T.I.'s 'Swagga Like Us,' featuring Kanye West and Lil Wayne (No. 5, 2008); and, Shop Boyz' 'Party Like a Rockstar' (No. 2, 2007)," Kelly adds.

"Jagger was also mentioned as far back as 1989 in the lyrics of the No. 3 rap classic "Funky Cold Medina" by Tone Loc: 'Cold coolin' at a bar, and I'm lookin' for some action / But, like Mick Jagger said, I can't get no satisfaction.'

"With this kind of publicity, who knows? Maybe this guy has a future in music."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1681
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home