Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
Could "Life" have been the Death of the Stones?
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: June 27, 2011 02:58

The more I look back through "Life" and all that it exposed, the more it seems that it may also have been the final straw/deathknell blow to, if not the Stones, then Jagger's interest in future projects.

Think about how close to the vest Jagger has always played everything - as has the rest of the band.

And think about how much "Life" dishes - the gossip - Keith's versions of stories behind the songs - it's a huge violation of band privacy.

"Life" seems like it may have been the code-violation of the ages - the book all magicians hate - the one that spoils all of the illusions.

This is just my opinion, mind you - no more, no less.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-27 03:00 by hbwriter.

Re: Could "Life" have been the Death of the Stones?
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 27, 2011 03:14

"Life" seems like it may have been the code-violation of the ages - the book all magicians hate - the one that spoils all of the illusions.

That's may be the reason that "Live" is still in my book shelf

I'm not sure about your statement HB, always understand that Mick reviewed the book first...........

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 27, 2011 03:22

You can also see the book as an acknowledgement that the Stones saga is over. Maybe he wouldn't have spilled his guts if he knew there was a future for the band? Just speculating... .

Date: June 27, 2011 03:33

HB - i agree 100%

Date: June 27, 2011 03:34

NICOS

I'm not sure about your statement HB, always understand that Mick reviewed the book first...........

He really "reviewed" it? In what sense? As a courtesy? Certainly he had no say over content - as a disaster check? I was not aware of this

Date: June 27, 2011 03:35

Stoneage
You can also see the book as an acknowledgement that the Stones saga is over. Maybe he wouldn't have spilled his guts if he knew there was a future for the band? Just speculating... .

perhaps - but he worked on this thing for years - I doubt he would have considered them dead years ago

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 27, 2011 03:40

Has anyone else ever (just for fun) spent some time reading only the last page (or so) of all (several) of your Rolling Stones books? I own 50-100-1000 Rolling Stones books, and the last pages of each one always seem to say something like......

""and after _____________this _______ and that _______ what will be next for the band and it's members? is it over? will they tour again? will they make a new album? is it over?""

Of course my older Rolling Stones last pages ended long long ago, and we know what happend next, but when they wrote the book they didnt..... and this has been going on for a long while... Have a look at the final pages of several of your books in a row........ they all kind of end same.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 27, 2011 03:41

Wasn't it written by a ghostwriter? Like almost all celebrity biographs? I have only read excerpts of the book. I can't imagine Keith writing a book.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 27, 2011 03:51

As Keith was intent on putting these humiliating remarks in about Mick, Mick probaly knew that objecting to elements that weren't legally flawed would just give Keith more ammunition. ........ie. Mick objects - Keith smiles and publishes anyway - Keith then ridicules Mick further in LIFE interviews by pointing out that when he gave Mick the book to read "Mick had a hissy fit and threw his toys out of the pram........this is the type of guy I've been dealing with all these years...Blah blah blah blah blah..." .....
Mick's a past master at the press release and knows inside out what they feed on....conflict...Mick (my guess is) knew that keeping stumm about Life from inception through (thru) to the publication aftermath was the best course for damage limitation.....ie Don't feed the vampires or the Vampire.....Mick knew he couldn't stop the bull but was savvy enough not to make himself an even bigger meal than he already was about to be..(sorry about the mixed metaphors)..............as per hbwriter..."That's just my opinon, nothing more......"
As to whether LIFE has @#$%& the Stones...now that's question I've concluded is one not to spend too much time on......it's a flip a coin job...give an answer and the truth could easily be the other.......

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-27 04:19 by EddieByword.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 27, 2011 04:26

Life = Death?

That's like....1984, maaaaaan!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 27, 2011 04:30

Go ahead, go ahead and light up the town
And, baby, do everything your heart desires
Remember, I'll always be around
And I know, I know like I told you so many times before
You're going to come back, baby
Cause I know you're going to come back
Knocking, yeah, knocking right on my door, yes, yes

ROCKMAN

Date: June 27, 2011 04:38

Rockman
Go ahead, go ahead and light up the town
And, baby, do everything your heart desires
Remember, I'll always be around
And I know, I know like I told you so many times before
You're going to come back, baby
Cause I know you're going to come back
Knocking, yeah, knocking right on my door, yes, yes

smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 27, 2011 04:59

EddieByword
As Keith was intent on putting these humiliating remarks in about Mick, Mick probaly knew that objecting to elements that weren't legally flawed would just give Keith more ammunition. ........ie. Mick objects - Keith smiles and publishes anyway - Keith then ridicules Mick further in LIFE interviews by pointing out that when he gave Mick the book to read "Mick had a hissy fit and threw his toys out of the pram........this is the type of guy I've been dealing with all these years...Blah blah blah blah blah..." .....
Mick's a past master at the press release and knows inside out what they feed on....conflict...Mick (my guess is) knew that keeping stumm about Life from inception through (thru) to the publication aftermath was the best course for damage limitation.....ie Don't feed the vampires or the Vampire.....Mick knew he couldn't stop the bull but was savvy enough not to make himself an even bigger meal than he already was about to be..(sorry about the mixed metaphors)..............as per hbwriter..."That's just my opinon, nothing more......"
As to whether LIFE has @#$%& the Stones...now that's question I've concluded is one not to spend too much time on......it's a flip a coin job...give an answer and the truth could easily be the other.......

Good assessment...I for one think that it (LIFE) has created significant damage to the band. If it hasn't ended the possibility of future projects altogether, I think it will certainly have delayed them.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: June 27, 2011 06:05

If they want to continue..they will. If they don't they wont. Don't think "Life" is in any way the determining factor.

Date: June 27, 2011 06:07

I'm tellin ya, "Rockman" will open for em on the next tour!

Date: June 27, 2011 06:13

21stcenturystones

i'd pay double for that

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: June 27, 2011 06:24

it's the 6th month of the year 2011

people forget especially people who don't read

they will do something for 2012

they are making big plans

keep hope alive

Date: June 27, 2011 06:53

who knows what's right or if that's true - but to think that it had no effect at all on the band is, i think, a bit naive - there are *massive* egos at play here

Date: June 27, 2011 07:48

That's why I'm draggin this friggin' snake-skin around all over town lookin' for a boot-maker ......

ROCKMAN

Date: June 27, 2011 08:42

Oh, glad you noticed I'm back from last weeks "time out".

Date: June 27, 2011 08:53

......musta been a BIG candle ya had ta snuff-out

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 27, 2011 10:58

hbwriter

You've hit the nail on the head .
May be that's why I have read only a few pages of Life because I had that feeling too.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 27, 2011 12:32

NICOS

SwayStones
May be that's why I have read only a few pages of Life because I had that feeling too.

Hey, that makes three of us. I could not bring myself to reading it, too afraid to have my
naive vision of the band blown away. So far I chose not to be informed in too much detail.
I want to believe in the image of the band I've been building up in the last 30 years.

Maybe that means I've finally found a religion...

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: June 27, 2011 12:37

IMO, there is nothing new concerning the Mick and Keith conflict in Life, that Keith hasn´t said in public before, including the "tiny todger-comment".

That´s why I find it strange that so many IORRians take this so seriously. The fact that Mick actually read the book prior to the release is also important to take into consideration.

Just my two cents.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 27, 2011 13:00

DandelionPowderman
IMO, there is nothing new concerning the Mick and Keith conflict in Life, that Keith hasn´t said in public before.

That´s why I find it strange that so many IORRians take this so seriously.

Just my two cents.

Make that four cents

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 27, 2011 13:36

I have bought the book, but did not read it. I just would assume by the reports here and there that it has caused a lot of damages. "Death of The Stones" is to give to e book more importance that it effectively has. If it were so, it would just mean that Mick and Keith could not collaborate anymore or more pragmatically have turned the page of a Book, theit book.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 27, 2011 13:53

Rolling Hansie
DandelionPowderman
IMO, there is nothing new concerning the Mick and Keith conflict in Life, that Keith hasn´t said in public before.

That´s why I find it strange that so many IORRians take this so seriously.

Just my two cents.

Make that four cents

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 27, 2011 14:16

phd
I just would assume by the reports here and there that it has caused a lot of damages.

And just because of what other people wrote, you decided to not read the book ? You are just kidding, right ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: June 27, 2011 14:51

Two solid years on the road, saturation of markets, poor record sales, poor reviews and old age? ABB did it.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 27, 2011 15:02

hbwriter
The more I look back through "Life" and all that it exposed, the more it seems that it may also have been the final straw/deathknell blow to, if not the Stones, then Jagger's interest in future projects.

Think about how close to the vest Jagger has always played everything - as has the rest of the band.

And think about how much "Life" dishes - the gossip - Keith's versions of stories behind the songs - it's a huge violation of band privacy.

Exactly my thoughts.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1206
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home