Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: The Definitive Rolling Stones Album Ranking
Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: September 16, 2010 20:23

Doxa
Yes. Finally. The objective, official ranking list is here. It is based on UK albums. The source: Doxa. Check and "test" the accuracy of your personal taste.winking smiley

1. EXILE ON MAIN STREET -72
2. BEGGARS BANQUET -68
3. LET IT BLEED -69
4. STICKY FINGERS -71
5. SOME GIRLS -78
6. AFTERMATH -66
7. THE ROLLING STONES -64
8. GOATS HEAD SOAP -63
9. TATTOO YOU -81
10. BETWEEN THE BUTTONS -67
11. OUT OF OUR HEADS -65
12. BLACK AND BLUE -76
13. THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES -67
14. EMOTIONAL RESCUE -80
15. THE ROLLING STONES NO 2 -65
16. IT’S ONLY ROCK’N’ROLL -74
17. UNDERCOVER -83
18. STEEL WHEELS -89
19. DIRTY WORK -86
20. BRIDGES TO BABYLON -97
21. VOODOO LOUNGE -94
22. A BIGGER BANG -05

I will comment it later...

Well, perhaps you could do your own list...smileys with beer

Cheers!

- Doxa

hahaha you got it very wrong!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 16, 2010 20:25

when will the correct, final rankings be issued?

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: September 16, 2010 20:47

#1. Their Satanic Majesties Request
#2. Black And Blue
#3. Aftermath
#4. Let It Bleed
#5. Beggar's Banquet
#6. Exile On Main Street
#7. Sticky Fingers
#8. Bridges Of Babylon
#9. Some Girls
#10.The Rolling Stones
#11.Emotional Rescue
#12.Voodoo Lounge
#13.Steel Wheels
#14.It's Only Rock 'N' Roll
#15.Between The Buttons

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: September 16, 2010 20:53

stonescrow
#2. Black And Blue
#3. Aftermath
#4. Let It Bleed
#5. Beggar's Banquet
#6. Exile On Main Street
#7. Sticky Fingers
#8. Bridges Of Babylon
#9. Some Girls
#10.The Rolling Stones
#11.Emotional Rescue
#12.Voodoo Lounge
#13.Steel Wheels
#15.Between The Buttons

#8 was supposed to read Bridges of Madison County.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: September 16, 2010 20:54

Awesome

2. STICKY FINGERS -71
3. LET IT BLEED -69
4. SOME GIRLS -78
5. TATTOO YOU -81
6. VOODOO LOUNGE -94
7. EMOTIONAL RESCUE -80
8. BLACK AND BLUE -76

Great

9. GOATS HEAD SOAP -63
10. BEGGARS BANQUET -68
11. AFTERMATH -66
12. OUT OF OUR HEADS -65
13. BETWEEN THE BUTTONS -67
14. THE ROLLING STONES -64
15. A BIGGER BANG -05
16. BRIDGES TO BABYLON -97

OK

17. IT’S ONLY ROCK’N’ROLL -74
18. THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES -67
19. THE ROLLING STONES NO 2 -65
20. UNDERCOVER -83
21. STEEL WHEELS -89
22. DIRTY WORK -86

I started arranging these and I realized I was having some trouble nailing it down exactly. So there are three basic tiers, with approximate rankings. I put Voodoo Lounge in the top tier, which may give some indication as to when I became a fan, but I stand by it.

Date: September 16, 2010 21:08

Both 1967 LP's in the top 13 ???? You must be on crack. You can throw this list out the window. # 1 and # 16 seem about right,though.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 16, 2010 21:11

Winning Ugly VXII
Both 1967 LP's in the top 13 ???? You must be on crack. You can throw this list out the window. # 1 and # 16 seem about right,though.

lol... and where would you rank the DW album, Winning Ugly?

crack was big in the 80s... maybe the poster was on acid.

Date: September 16, 2010 21:20

Dirty Work should be near the bottom but,not at the bottom. T.S.M.R. is definitely worse for one example.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: September 16, 2010 21:20

Just to make it real quick, I´d go for -

11. IT’S ONLY ROCK’N’ROLL -74

22. A BIGGER BANG -05

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: September 16, 2010 21:22

Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main St
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Tattoo You
Some Girls
Aftermath
Goats Head Soup
Rolling Stones
Out Of Our Heads
Voodoo Lounge
Rolling Stones #2
A Bigger Bang
It's Only Rock N Roll
Black N Blue
Emotional Rescue
Undercover
Bridges To Babylon
Steel Wheels
Between The Buttons
Satanic Majesties
Dirty Work

Missed a few, but this is fairly accurate for The MEZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-16 21:38 by The Mez.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 16, 2010 21:32

if i could only have one stones album and that's it for the rest of my life period it would be sticky fingers. it's only rock and roll almost made it to the top of my list based soley on it's inclusion of dance little sister, however, so u cain't go by me...but sticky...right after that '69 tour and everything was like so 'there'....probably sf if i only could have one. if i could have two it would be sf and englands newest hitmakers i think. that's the beelyboy ranking.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 16, 2010 21:47

1. BEGGARS BANQUET
2. OUT OF OUR HEADS
3. LET IT BLEED
4. AFTERMATH
5. BETWEEN THE BUTTONS
6. THE ROLLING STONES
7. THE ROLLING STONES NO 2
8. THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST
9. STICKY FINGERS
10.SOME GIRLS
11.TATTOO YOU
12.EXILE ON MAIN STREET
13.GOATS HEAD SOAP
14.BLACK AND BLUE
15.EMOTIONAL RESQUE
16.ITS ONLY ROCKNROLL
17.BRIDGES TO BABYLON
18.VOODOO LOUNGE
19.A BIGGER BANG
20.STEEL WHEELS
21.UNDERCOVER
22.DIRTY WORK

smoking smileysmoking smileyMETAMORPHOSISsmoking smileysmoking smiley

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 16, 2010 21:48

Beelyboy
if i could only have one stones album and that's it for the rest of my life period it would be sticky fingers.

swell, but you can have as many as you want as long as you clean up afterwards

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 16, 2010 21:52

By being whatever it is, THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES is a really difficult one to rate. For example, to say that is better than any 'normal' album that represent typical Stones music, a'la, IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL, is a bit odd. What makes the album even more difficult to appreciate is that it is not sure at all if the band succeeded in their targets there (general attitude is: hell no!). But it is the case of appreciating the musical evolution, the young idealist craziness and brave expanding one's scope over repetition in safe and sure formulas. The album really charms me when I listen to it: there are a lot of interesting, even great ideas there. Very vital music. It is an exciting album, and way better than its bad reputation.. It gives me those "magic" feelings than, for example, not any post-TATTOO YOU album is not able to make. The Stones catalog would be much poorer without its odd presence. By being so different and far from 'normal' Stones it deserves a relatively good position.

But still... if asked which album to pick to desert island, if there is only one to chooce, IORR or TSMR, well...eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-16 21:54 by Doxa.

Date: September 16, 2010 21:55

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-17 09:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 16, 2010 21:57

DandelionPowderman
jjflash73
Then how is it 'official'? By using the word 'official' you project the idea that it is calculated and based on facts. I guess if your guidelines are 'official opinion' then ok..its all good fun. No worries.

jjflash73

quote=MississippiBullfrog]
...You speak of markets & sales, jjflash73 - but I think Doxa made this 'ranking' from the heart... Not saleswise.

They are "official" because the UK albums were how the albums were intended to be released from the band´s part.[/quote]

Date: September 16, 2010 21:58

stonescrow
#2. Black And Blue
#3. Aftermath
#4. Let It Bleed
#5. Beggar's Banquet
#6. Exile On Main Street
#7. Sticky Fingers
#8. Bridges Of Babylon
#9. Some Girls
#10.The Rolling Stones
#11.Emotional Rescue
#12.Voodoo Lounge
#13.Steel Wheels
#15.Between The Buttons

What about the rest?

Posted by: winter ()
Date: September 16, 2010 22:04

I guess it's hard to figure out having heard only the US ones, I can look at track lists and guess how I might rank them, but it's not the same because December's Children, Flowers, 12x5 are all split up from what I have. It's also too painful to leave out the live/comp cds because then there's no HTW and JJF (Thru the past darkly), and no YaYas (the complete reworking of SFTD and the full flowering of MRambler) or Stripped. YaYa's has always been in most fans top 5.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: September 16, 2010 22:07

For me, TSMR is (at least) three quarters of a great album (I don't see it as all that unexpected a progression after Aftermath and Between the Buttons, not that that would be a bad thing. Something of its exotic, experimental spirit hangs around for the rest of the sixties, too).

IORR, on the other hand, I find a slightly depressing, and further from my idea of what's great about the Stones. There are some tracks I like very much, of course, but as a whole it whispers jaded, mid-seventies rock star a little too loudly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-16 22:14 by Squiggle.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 16, 2010 22:08

T&A
Beelyboy
if i could only have one stones album and that's it for the rest of my life period it would be sticky fingers.

swell, but you can have as many as you want as long as you clean up afterwards

if just ONCE i could hear my wife say that.

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: September 16, 2010 22:53

i think every album they do,is best(on its own way)....They've been pioneers for long time...and will be..no one has gone so far(in rock'nroll)
Last "tour de forces" are
1.bigger bang
2.bridges to babylon
3.woodoo lounge

But i think in 90's they were still in normal category...
-so WL(mick&keith was 51yrs)was last(in rock'nroll terms)album to compare with other bands.And i did not like it very much.
so...
1.bigger bang
2.bridges to babylong
There's been better ones musically,but those two are my favorit(and i like those very much in musically) now...waiting for the next

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 16, 2010 23:46

Here are mine (first ones are quite clear than it's getting a bit blurry):
And it can always change . .

Sticky Fingers (all in all the best songs)
Let it bleed
Exile
Beggars Banquet
Aftermath
Goats head Soup
Out of our Heads
Some Girls
Black & Blue
It's only Rock n roll
The Rolling Stones
Emotional Rescue
Tattoo You
Between the Buttons
Bridges to Babylon
Dirty Work
Undercover
Their Satanic M.R.
Voodoo Lounge
A Bigger Bang
Steel Wheels . .

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 17, 2010 03:07

Exile on Main Street
Let it Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Beggars Banquet
Some Girls
The Rolling Stones Now
It's Only Rock and Roll
Goat's Head Soup
Out of Our Heads
The Rolling Stones
Aftermath
Black and Blue
Out of Our Heads
The Rolling Stones 2
Bridges to Babylon
Emotional Rescue
Undercover
Voodoo Lounge
A Bigger Bang
Steel Wheels
Dirty Work
Their Satanic Majesties Request

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 17, 2010 03:21

DandelionPowderman
1. SOME GIRLS -78
2. EXILE ON MAIN STREET -72
3. STICKY FINGERS -71
4. AFTERMATH -66
5. LET IT BLEED -69
6. TATTOO YOU -81
8. BEGGARS BANQUET -68
9. EMOTIONAL RESCUE -80
10. UNDERCOVER -83
11. OUT OF OUR HEADS -65
12. BLACK AND BLUE -76
13. STEEL WHEELS -89
14. DIRTY WORK -86
15. VOODOO LOUNGE -94
16. A BIGGER BANG -05
17. THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES -67
18. GOATS HEAD SOAP -73
19. IT’S ONLY ROCK’N’ROLL -74
20. THE ROLLING STONES NO 2 -65
21. BETWEEN THE BUTTONS -67
22. BRIDGES TO BABYLON -97

ABB better than goats head soup....eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 17, 2010 08:49

Doxa
By being whatever it is, THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES is a really difficult one to rate. For example, to say that is better than any 'normal' album that represent typical Stones music, a'la, IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL, is a bit odd. What makes the album even more difficult to appreciate is that it is not sure at all if the band succeeded in their targets there (general attitude is: hell no!). But it is the case of appreciating the musical evolution, the young idealist craziness and brave expanding one's scope over repetition in safe and sure formulas. The album really charms me when I listen to it: there are a lot of interesting, even great ideas there. Very vital music. It is an exciting album, and way better than its bad reputation.. It gives me those "magic" feelings than, for example, not any post-TATTOO YOU album is not able to make. The Stones catalog would be much poorer without its odd presence. By being so different and far from 'normal' Stones it deserves a relatively good position.

But still... if asked which album to pick to desert island, if there is only one to chooce, IORR or TSMR, well...eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

Doxa, the thing about 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' is it came at a time when the Stones muse was in full flow, and if anything was getting stronger. Maybe psychedelia didn't really suit the Stones as much as some of the other psychedelia inspired groups, simply because it was harder to accept coming from the Stones, who were always more macho in their approach, without so many artistic pretentions. My view is the album's songs are really very well constructed generally, perhaps more so than on 'Between The Buttons', which for me had fewer highlights. However, 'Satanic Majesties' lacks a little in the fact that it is a tad too indulgent in places, which leads to it being a pretty uneven listening experience. 'Sing This All Together' (See What Happens) seems to lack any real shape, as the Stones were not really too good at improvisation at this point in time, and i've always felt 'On With The Show' with its music hall vocal styling, may not have been the most ideal track to close the album with either. 'Gomper' for me works really well for what its intentions were to be, yet it too could be accused of being a tad indulgent too. Overall,'Satanic Majesties' could have been better, and had the potential to be, had a track like 'We Love You' had been included. However, i believe most of the tracks are very interesting, and also immensely enjoyable, and classics of a sort, once the pre - concieved notion of what is expected from a Stones album has faded. The problem for the Stones is a large number of their fans, who loved the rock 'n' roll and blues version of the Stones were always going to find the pretentions of 'Satanic Majesties' a hard pill to swallow, irrespective of what may be perceived of its strengths, and maybe more at this moment in time than in 67, when psychedelia was all the rage. It is always going to seem wanting in the eyes of Stones fans who love albums like 'Sticky Fingers' and 'Exile On Main Street' with those more traditional rock influences. But take away those pre-conceived notions, and leave the album pretty much as a blank page, and i believe for much of the time 'Satanic Majesties' to be an overwhelming success. 'Citadel', She's A Rainbow' and '2000 Light Years From Home' are also highly accessible, and stand alone incredibly well ouside the context of the album. 'It's Only Rock 'N' Roll' really does pale in significance by the side of it. Very much in a sense by this time the Stones were not feeling especially motivated in a studio setting - gone were the Beatles, who so inspired them to aim for ever higher goals (such as 'Satanic Majesties' of course amongst others), and a decadence was very much creeping into their music. a sort of wasteful, hollow, and uninspiring sense of the Stones just going through the motions. This is possibly true of 'Black And Blue' too.

Whatever may have been the Stones motive for jumping on the psychedelia bandwagon, 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' made a very enjoyable diversion away from their more typical sound, in my eyes. It provides added scope to the Stones music, especially as by the early 80s the Stones were just going through the motions, and perhaps repeating themselves within their more typical style without a hint of true inspiration or originality.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-17 09:32 by Edward Twining.

Date: September 17, 2010 09:12

guitarbastard
DandelionPowderman
1. SOME GIRLS -78
2. EXILE ON MAIN STREET -72
3. STICKY FINGERS -71
4. AFTERMATH -66
5. LET IT BLEED -69
6. TATTOO YOU -81
8. BEGGARS BANQUET -68
9. EMOTIONAL RESCUE -80
10. UNDERCOVER -83
11. OUT OF OUR HEADS -65
12. BLACK AND BLUE -76
13. STEEL WHEELS -89
14. DIRTY WORK -86
15. VOODOO LOUNGE -94
16. A BIGGER BANG -05
17. THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES -67
18. GOATS HEAD SOAP -73
19. IT’S ONLY ROCK’N’ROLL -74
20. THE ROLLING STONES NO 2 -65
21. BETWEEN THE BUTTONS -67
22. BRIDGES TO BABYLON -97

ABB better than goats head soup....eye rolling smiley

I like both smiling smiley But I can't stand the mix on GHS.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 17, 2010 09:28

For me these are the best and are pretty much on equal footing, the rest I don't really care that much about even though a lot of the later albums feature more solid playing, better production etc.

There's a certain spirit and naivety in these albums that is totally gone from the work that followed imo.

Their Satanic Majesties Request pisses on everything post 1973. >grinning smiley<

Date: September 17, 2010 09:35

Yeah, they're all good. What about Out Of Our Heads (UK)?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 17, 2010 10:24

winter
I guess it's hard to figure out having heard only the US ones, I can look at track lists and guess how I might rank them, but it's not the same because December's Children, Flowers, 12x5 are all split up from what I have. It's also too painful to leave out the live/comp cds because then there's no HTW and JJF (Thru the past darkly), and no YaYas (the complete reworking of SFTD and the full flowering of MRambler) or Stripped. YaYa's has always been in most fans top 5.

Good comment.

I just picked up the UK version because that is the way I learned to know them. (and I'm not even now at all familiar with NOW! and 12 x 5 albums, and it sounds strange to include all the hits - which - of course - makes certain albums stronger). If I'm right it could easier to make nowadays it in US terms, because the UK catalog is not anyomore available in its wholeness, right? According to ABKCO policy, the US London catalog seems to be the official version now (I guess it is easier to sell now because one can find all the hits from there.)

But if I would make it in US terms, I would certainly put US version of OUT OF OUR HEADS to top ten, probably #6-7.. It is a goddamn strong album and a greatest "collection" of the 1965 Stones and their music (when leaving the cover ground and heading to originality.)

What goes for the live albums, they are a bit difficult to rate with studio albums, and I think it would be easier to rate by their own. I don't know - perhaps I try to mix them with studio releases later. But surely GET YER YA-YA'S would be in the rank of the golden era albums - it is one of them.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-17 10:26 by Doxa.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: September 17, 2010 11:21

Top 10 Stones albums:

1). Some Girls
2). Let It Bleed
3). Exile on Main Street
4). Their Satanic Majesties Request
5). Sticky Fingers
6). Beggars Banquet
7). Goats Head Soup
8). Tattoo You
9). Black & Blue
10). Undercover

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home