Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rock Magazines-Creem,Hit Parade,Circus,Rock Scene.Did anyone here read them?
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 16, 2010 02:38

Back in the late 60's, 70's,and 80's, before the internet,there were some great magazines that covered the music scene.Creem,Hit Parade,Circus,Rock Scene,and of course Rolling Stone.
Every month l would go and buy them and mainly Creem always had some great articles about the Stones,one of their writers was a fellow named Lester Bangs(whom imo was the best music writer of that era.RIP) he would always review the latest Stones albums,and was a fan. Lenny Kaye of the Patti Smith Group fame was also a contributor to Creem.
Rock Scene was the brainchild of Lisa Robinson and her husband, would mainly cover the New York rock/punk, scene,and also had some great articles and pictures of the Stones,l think Lisa did some pr work for the band in 75,but l am not sure.
Anyway, did anyone else here was a fan of those magazines.
Below are some magazine covers with the Stones in them:

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Re: Rock Magazines-Creem,Hit Parade,Circus,Rock Scene.Did anyone here read them?
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 16, 2010 02:42

Sure, loved 'em.

Re: Rock Magazines-Creem,Hit Parade,Circus,Rock Scene.Did anyone here read them?
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: September 16, 2010 02:52

Man, those covers bring back some memories.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 16, 2010 02:55

I was an avid reader off Cream! LOVED IT! I still have a lot of them packed away...one of my favorite issues was with The Kinks, and a run down of all their albums. Also the 78 issue with Mick on the cover, where he talks a bit about Keith maybe going to prison, and the Stones would roll on....great stuff with biting humor. BOY HOWDY!

Date: September 16, 2010 03:10

I loved Creem back in the 1970s. Then Rave came out - I think it was by the same publisher as Creem. In the late 1960s and very early 1970s I read Hit Parader and that Feb 1970 cover brought back memories. Thanks.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 16, 2010 04:07

Creem was brilliant. Funny ireverent and lots of Stones and of course, Lester Bangs.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: September 16, 2010 04:24

I still have copies of Creem w/the stones

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: September 16, 2010 06:03

stupidguy2
Creem was brilliant. Funny ireverent and lots of Stones and of course, Lester Bangs.

I so agree with this!! Best edition of Creem (imo) was the one that the whole mag was dedicated to the Stones (around Dec '72) Patti Smith had an article in there (Jagger of the Jungle), and this quiz think it was called "How Well do you know the Stones?" Some of the answers to some of the questions were tooooo hysterical (and probably more closer to the truth) than the actual answer was. lol I'm hoping I can find this, if not maybe someone else here on the board may have it to scan??

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 16, 2010 07:37

Wish I still had my July '78 issue of Creem.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 16, 2010 07:59

I used to visit the newstands almost daily to check for new issues. Those were golden days. At least today we have the British magazines Mojo, Uncut, Classic Rock and Q. And sometimes they even do special issues. There's still a little Rock N' Roll left in the world.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: September 16, 2010 12:25

Yep, Creem was my bible. MOJO and the like are great, but they're just not quite as fun as Boy Howdy used to be.....

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 16, 2010 17:39

I loved to read anything about the Stones back in the 70's...But i only got the magazines if the Stones were in them...Didn't want to pay to get them monthly..I did get Rolling Stone mag for awhile..I also used to get the Bill German fan news letter, beggars b.
I wish we had the internet back in the 70's because i really craved any info on the Stones back in the early 70's..

I really loved Creem..That was the best for me...Tons of Stones info every month...Then Circus!

Date: September 17, 2010 02:07

In the 90's this magazine also had some good Stones content:

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 17, 2010 02:40

One of the top guys at Creem in the 70s - Bill Gubbins - was in here yesterday. he told me that Ian Hunter liked to hand out in their offices a lot and that Ted Nugent came in and played them a "new song" he'd just written on acoustic guitar, which ended up being "Cat Scratch Fever" (a mixed blessing, perhaps). Also said he had lots of Lester Bang stories, but we ran out of time and I didn't get to hear any.

Date: September 17, 2010 02:54

Hell,loved L Bangs writing,maybe your friend can post some of those stories here,l am sure they would be outrageous.

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: September 17, 2010 03:18

ROPENI

I would love to read the article inside of that.

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 17, 2010 03:20

Philip S. Hoffman was brilliant in "Almost Famous" as Lester Bangs, I remember a few funny quotes about Rolling Stone in that movie.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: September 17, 2010 07:39

ROPENI

I only got a hold of a few of copies over the years, but at one time Musician was an excellent magazine. It seemed to be originally geared more towards serious audiophile-type music lovers, not so much a Rolling Stone/Creem/Circus/Hit Parader type rock n' roll mag (although RS was more serious and varied than most). Musician was strictly music/audio, and approached it from a serious, almost at times technical, point of view.

I first read about Eddie Van Halen in an issue from sometime around 81, an excellent interview, possibly the first time he was taken so seriously as an artist. The same issue had a small article about Steve Vai years before he became famous, Zappa was using him, and raved about Vai's ability to transpose/transcribe/whatever his music into anything Zappa needed.

It also had more technical articles about studios, recording equipment, who was currently in the studio, etc. Later on they seemed to become a more mass appeal music magazine, like Rolling Stone, but still strictly music, and not quite so serious and technical.

Here is a link with a few downloads of old Creems and Circuses:

[www.filestube.com]

The ones that look like "Creem v09n02 1977-07" are the Creem links. If you join this board it links to, you can get the Circuses and a couple others:

[bolt.org]

Enjoy! Boy Howdy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-17 07:53 by bustedtrousers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1120
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home