Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Nicky Hopkins
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 18, 2013 16:21

Ross
Found it! Bit Torrent is my friend!

[bitsnoop.com]

Wow, a blast from the past and better than I remember it! A bit like "The Tin Man Was A Dreamer", but without the heavy hitter guests. Spotty songs with some great moments and some tasty playing by Nicky.

Nicky Hopkins - No More Changes (Mercury SRM 11028), was released in 1975. Appearing on the album are Hopkins (lead vocals and all keyboards), David Tedstone (guitars), Michael Kennedy (guitars), Rick Willis (bass), and Eric Dillon (drums and percussion), with back-up vocals from Kathi McDonald, Lea Santo-Robertie, Doug Duffey and Dolly. Recorded in London and mixed and mastered in Los Angeles.

I'm glad I read this thread, I have been looking for this for years!

Ross

Interesting, didn't know he'd recorded a second solo album, no peers around at this time, guess I'll let it run. I do remember being pretty disappointed by "Tin Man Was a Dreamer", like was posted above, a great musician like Taylor but not able to come up with memorable songs of his own :-(

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: June 18, 2013 20:24

NOT in Cleveland's Hall of Fame as a Sideman? The Rock and Roll Hall of Jokes.

The Stones, The Who, The Kinks - think about the level of contribution here.

Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: June 18, 2013 21:53

Girl From Mill Valley is such a beauty. I can listen to that over and over again for a very long time. His playing was so melodic and beautiful. No one in rock and roll even comes close in terms of being able to interpret a melody. He should have been inducted years and years ago. How many of the Stones attended his funeral? Let me guess: zero.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 18, 2013 22:08

Nicky Hopkins I love his playing
There' s a lot of vinyl in my place where Nicky is playing.

Here is my choise Shady Grove Quicksilver;

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 18, 2013 22:46

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 18, 2013 22:58

WeLoveYou
He was a fantastic piano player, I really love what he has played with the Stones and others. (In fact I'm trying to learn a little piano and will listen to some of his piano riffs for inspiration).

However his solo album The Tin Man Was A Dreamer is pretty dire. It sounds very dated, typically 70s sounding and strangely (although understandably) rather like Elton John. Like Mick Taylor, I guess Nicky is best suited to playing on other people's material.

Nicky's other solo album, The Revolutionary PIano of Nicky Hopkins realeased in the mid-1960s, is of more interest to me. It's him backed by an orchestra. It's instrumental covers - no singing - including tunes like Satisfaction and a Beatles track (can't remember which). It's pretty good for what it is, although the rough 60s production doesn't do justice to the piano and strings which would benefit from a clearer recording/production.

His sound has not been duplicated in the Stones tracks he played on. I listen to Chuck play them live (on his keyboard, not piano) and remember Nicky.

One thing . . . try the full size pianos they're easier to play.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-19 03:05 by Rokyfan.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 19, 2013 00:41

One of his early session appearances:-

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1246
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home