Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Nicky Hopkins
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 14, 2010 04:28

Searched on the forum but couldn't find a thread dedicated to Mr. Nicky Hopkins, last week it was 16 years since he passed away.
During the Stones golden period he came up with beautiful lines for every song he played on.

Some of his best:

Girl From The Mill Valley, an instrumental he wrote while he was a member of the Jeff Beck Group with Ronnie:

Re: Nicky Hopkins
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 14, 2010 04:55

His piano on She's A Rainbow always knocks me out. Should be a thread on the tragedies befallen Stones' piano players.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 14, 2010 07:51

Nice bit on this clip at about 5:57 of Harry and Nicky running through "Remember (Christmas )"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-14 07:59 by loog droog.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: September 14, 2010 09:32

Toured with the Jerry Garcia Band for a bit in 1975 and also did some session work with the Kinks playing on hits like "Sunny Afternoon" and "Waterloo Sunset".
Also appears on the Beatles "Revolution.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: September 14, 2010 10:59

I know the song isn't too well liked on here but having a new(and lovely)Hopkins piano part on Following The River is one of the highlights of the Exile reissue for me.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: September 14, 2010 12:55

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-16 21:01 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: September 14, 2010 13:22

I just discovered, that Julian Dawson will be reading from his autobiographie of Nicky Hopkins tonight in Hamburg in "Uebel und Gefaehrlich".
If I can make it, I will be there.

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: September 14, 2010 13:34

Not autobiography, but biography, because not Nicky, but Julian wrote it...

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: September 14, 2010 14:54

stones78
Searched on the forum but couldn't find a thread dedicated to Mr. Nicky Hopkins, last week it was 16 years since he passed away.
During the Stones golden period he came up with beautiful lines for every song he played on.

See my post in Rockman's thread top of the page winking smiley

IORR

HMN

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: September 14, 2010 17:02

No Expectations
Toured with the Jerry Garcia Band for a bit in 1975

My favorite of the Jerry Garcia various bands....

August 5, 1975 – December 31, 1975
Jerry Garcia – guitar, vocals
John Kahn – bass
Nicky Hopkins – piano, vocals
Ron Tutt – drums

Date: September 14, 2010 18:47

Nicky & Keith, 1971, by Dominique Tarle.
Courtesy of rollingstones.com

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 14, 2010 22:11

Nicky Hopkins, Ian Stewart ( Boogie with Ian, Charlie would tell)

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 15, 2010 00:17

Check out this, a Charlotte NC band, the Spongetones ( a great band imo) with Nicky Hopkins ...

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: September 15, 2010 00:52

I posted a few years ago about getting to have lunch with Nicky in Atlanta in the late 80s. I was working at the Art Institute of Atlanta at the time, and he was there visiting students.

Some responses of his to my questions:

You've played with EVERYONE. If you could have a session tonight with any of them, who would it be?
Nicky: Harry Nilsson

Who did you NOT play with that you would have liked to?
Nicky: Bob Dylan

Very quiet, extremely nice, signed autographs for everyone. When I asked him which current bands and musicians he listens to, he surprisingly told me "I don't listen to music." I responded by saying "oh, you mean you don't listen to rock, you like, maybe, jazz instead?" etc. he said, "No, I don't listen to ANY music." A minute later he qualified it by saying "Oh, I like some things Phil Collins has done, and I'm still a fan of Eric Clapton's music, but, by and large, I don't listen to music." I thought that was interesting, in that if I made a list of my top 20 albums of all time, Nicky is probably playing piano on half of them.

RIP.

Date: September 27, 2010 05:19

This is Rip This Joint but just Charlie & Nicky, using Adobe Audition 3 to isolate them, it's not crystal clear but it sounds pretty good, all credits to user dandelion1967 who did it with a live track from "Welcome To New York" and I did the same with this one.
Hope someone enjoys it.
[www.gigasize.com]

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 27, 2010 08:25

Nicky Hopkins is an unsung hero in British rock music.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: September 27, 2010 12:40

He was a fantastic piano player, I really love what he has played with the Stones and others. (In fact I'm trying to learn a little piano and will listen to some of his piano riffs for inspiration).

However his solo album The Tin Man Was A Dreamer is pretty dire. It sounds very dated, typically 70s sounding and strangely (although understandably) rather like Elton John. Like Mick Taylor, I guess Nicky is best suited to playing on other people's material.

Nicky's other solo album, The Revolutionary PIano of Nicky Hopkins realeased in the mid-1960s, is of more interest to me. It's him backed by an orchestra. It's instrumental covers - no singing - including tunes like Satisfaction and a Beatles track (can't remember which). It's pretty good for what it is, although the rough 60s production doesn't do justice to the piano and strings which would benefit from a clearer recording/production.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: September 27, 2010 13:24

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-16 16:55 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 27, 2010 13:36

It is very interesting that out of all the folks he played with he mentions Harry Nilsson! That film was very cool, I had never seen it before. I am a big Nilsson fan and love Nicky's work with him. I am sure those boys drank a lot, even though Nicky was probably a bit ill... Nilsson was a great loss as well. Miss those two.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: September 27, 2010 14:27

24FPS
His piano on She's A Rainbow always knocks me out. Should be a thread on the tragedies befallen Stones' piano players.

I agree. The outtakes of this track are some of the highlights of the Satanic Box set for me, largely due to Nicky's playing.

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: September 27, 2010 18:57

WeLoveYou
He was a fantastic piano player, I really love what he has played with the Stones and others. (In fact I'm trying to learn a little piano and will listen to some of his piano riffs for inspiration).

However his solo album The Tin Man Was A Dreamer is pretty dire. It sounds very dated, typically 70s sounding and strangely (although understandably) rather like Elton John. Like Mick Taylor, I guess Nicky is best suited to playing on other people's material.

Nicky's other solo album, The Revolutionary PIano of Nicky Hopkins realeased in the mid-1960s, is of more interest to me. It's him backed by an orchestra. It's instrumental covers - no singing - including tunes like Satisfaction and a Beatles track (can't remember which). It's pretty good for what it is, although the rough 60s production doesn't do justice to the piano and strings which would benefit from a clearer recording/production.

the beatles track is "yesterday".
and yes, really exiting. "mr big" the first song starts with chopin - and than its rocking hopkins with orchestra & jazz trio.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 27, 2010 20:57

whitem8
It is very interesting that out of all the folks he played with he mentions Harry Nilsson! That film was very cool, I had never seen it before. I am a big Nilsson fan and love Nicky's work with him. I am sure those boys drank a lot, even though Nicky was probably a bit ill... Nilsson was a great loss as well. Miss those two.

Perhaps you've already heard that this film about Harry is playing in a few select theaters now and will be out on DVD in October.

[www.authorizedpix.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 28, 2010 10:02

Thanks loog! I hadn't heard this news! One of the hard parts of being overseas! I am definitely going to get that DVD! ThANKS!

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: December 8, 2010 18:45

Nicky was THE MAN. As a piano player, he is a guiding light, always playing with the perfect combination between sense, good taste and technical habillity.

Here is a thread I did with his isolatre piano in the Madison Square Garden show of 1972. He was in full play at that time, and the band too!

[www.iorr.org]

Best wishes!

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 8, 2010 20:06

Much like Bill's style is THE Stones Bass Sound, Nicky Hopkins is THE Stones Piano Sound for lyrical songs. Stu is THE Stones Piano Sound for boogie woogie.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 8, 2010 22:52

WeLoveYou

Nicky also had a follow-up to "Tin Man" called "No More Changes" Waaaaay out of print and not as good as "Tin Man" (which I still dig!) as I recall.

Does anybody have a link to a download of this or know where it can be found? I haven't heard it since some very hazy days back in the dorm!

Ross

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 8, 2010 23:25

To me, Nicky was so integral to the Stones music from a certain period...
Like Taylor, he added color.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 9, 2010 02:53

Found it! Bit Torrent is my friend!

[bitsnoop.com]

Wow, a blast from the past and better than I remember it! A bit like "The Tin Man Was A Dreamer", but without the heavy hitter guests. Spotty songs with some great moments and some tasty playing by Nicky.

Nicky Hopkins - No More Changes (Mercury SRM 11028), was released in 1975. Appearing on the album are Hopkins (lead vocals and all keyboards), David Tedstone (guitars), Michael Kennedy (guitars), Rick Willis (bass), and Eric Dillon (drums and percussion), with back-up vocals from Kathi McDonald, Lea Santo-Robertie, Doug Duffey and Dolly. Recorded in London and mixed and mastered in Los Angeles.

I'm glad I read this thread, I have been looking for this for years!

Ross

Date: December 9, 2010 03:47

From Jamming With Edward, Bill is absolutely fantastic on this one. Turn it up because the audio is really low.

Posted by: Bharatbash ()
Date: June 18, 2013 13:39

Nicky Hopkins's name will always be engraved in the grey matter of every listener's mind!
What a touch!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home