Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Gomper
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 21, 2019 12:45

Silver Dagger
The mistake many people make with this album is to view it as something that should feature a definite Stones sound. Wrong.

This was a time of great sonic adventure both in terms of new and unusual instruments being brought to the studio but also a widening of possibilities in the recording process.

It is a one off experiment in sound: tuneful, melodic, daring, beautiful, scary, harsh, poetic, child-like and revealing a more feminine side of the Stones where they put their usual strong, dominant, chauvinism to rest, albeit briefly.

smoking smiley

Date: February 21, 2019 13:46

His Majesty
Silver Dagger
The mistake many people make with this album is to view it as something that should feature a definite Stones sound. Wrong.

This was a time of great sonic adventure both in terms of new and unusual instruments being brought to the studio but also a widening of possibilities in the recording process.

It is a one off experiment in sound: tuneful, melodic, daring, beautiful, scary, harsh, poetic, child-like and revealing a more feminine side of the Stones where they put their usual strong, dominant, chauvinism to rest, albeit briefly.

smoking smiley

Ok that you bring up the words in Bold.This is what I started missing after the release of Black and Blue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-21 13:50 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 21, 2019 14:15

Silver Dagger
...This was a time of great sonic adventure both in terms of new and unusual instruments being brought to the studio but also a widening of possibilities in the recording process.

No arguments about that...but none of this would have precluded it from being EQ'd to be half way listenable winking smiley

[Or have I just been using rubbish Hi Fi for the whole last forty odd years grinning smiley ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-21 14:18 by Spud.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 21, 2019 15:49

Silver Dagger

Well said. And I love every moment of it.

Drew

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 21, 2019 18:39

Spud
[Or have I just been using rubbish Hi Fi for the whole last forty odd years grinning smiley ]

Are you listening to the ABKCO SACD Reissue from 2002? If not, you should try that. Put on a good pair of headphones, turn off all the lights, light some incense, and press Play. That should take you about 2000 light years from home.

Drew

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 21, 2019 18:43

Are you listening to the ABKCO SACD Reissue from 2002? If not, you should try that. Put on a good pair of headphones, turn off all the lights, light some incense, and press Play. That should take you about 2000 light years from home.

Drew[/quote]

I couldn't have said it better...LOVE IT...Sounds amazing----Play it Loud,.

Date: February 22, 2019 10:01

All Vinyl for me . Various pressings, including a couple of early green label Decca. Some are better than others. A late 70s German Teldec red label one I have is probably the most listenable in terms of instrumental timbre.

Maybe I should try the ABKCO remaster on vinyl ? .

It's frustrating because I like a lot of the songs...just not the sound of them confused smiley.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 23, 2019 01:00

This song is a D-side at the very best.

I've never spent more time on listening to an LP to make it "work" than TSMR and this is one of the songs that makes me never bother listening to it. It's just rambling garbage 'we're being stoned' songs with a bunch of noise for the purpose of of just that.

Which is why it makes a great EP without the bunk tracks of crap like Gomper and The Lantern and the two Sing This All Together songs.

It's simply their second worst LP of their discography behind DIRTY WORK and it's songs like Gomper that make it that much more evident that TSMR is a horrible album.

The band doesn't like it. Critics didn't like it. Most Stones fans don't like it.

It makes BETWEEN THE BUTTONS an exceptional album. Because it is... especially when compared to this pile of garbage of an album.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 23, 2019 21:51

GasLightStreet

I've never spent more time on listening to an LP to make it "work" than TSMR and this is one of the songs that makes me never bother listening to it. It's just rambling garbage 'we're being stoned' songs with a bunch of noise for the purpose of of just that.

Which is why it makes a great EP without the bunk tracks of crap like Gomper and The Lantern and the two Sing This All Together songs.

It's simply their second worst LP of their discography behind DIRTY WORK and it's songs like Gomper that make it that much more evident that TSMR is a horrible album.

The band doesn't like it. Critics didn't like it. Most Stones fans don't like it.

It makes BETWEEN THE BUTTONS an exceptional album. Because it is... especially when compared to this pile of garbage of an album.

Hi Max,
If there is one thing this great site has proven over and over, is that there are great varieties in taste among Stones fans. Taste will always be a tough issue to discuss. I respect your taste. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. But I need to respond to your line
"The band doesn't like it. Critics didn't like it. Most Stones fans don't like it"
Some of the Stones (as far as I think, impressed by the negative critics in the media) already had serious problems dealing with Brian Jones' (self inficted) downfall, partly also due to their own childish behavior (as Mick Jagger admitted decades later), so that TSMR became an easy target for them. A lot of the "freaky stuff" on that album came from Brian, so "the others were not to blame so much" for the "poor result". Objective? No.
Then the critics in the media. Don't forget that "Seargent Pepper" had been welcomed way beyond normal levels. It was almost "a God given album", which off course it isn't. Because of all the court problems the release of TSMR was much delayed and certainly not an attempt to copy the Beatles. The Stones had started to work on TSMR material already in November 1966! (Ian Stewart notes!). The "critics" were already very much biased, an no longer objective. What did they really know? So, as far as I'm concerned many media comments were perfect for the dust bin.
Then the Stones fans. TSRM for sure is very different from "the other" Stones albums, but my experience over the past 50+ years (and I happen to know very many Stones fans) has been that TSMR is not necessarily an often listed to album, but many nevertheless find it a good album to occasionally listen to. So do I, but I always skip STST, part 2, because it doesn't meet my taste cool smiley
It's clear that you don't like TSMR at all, but if you happen to have the original vinyl version, don't throw it away! You may regret it winking smiley
smileys with beer

Date: February 24, 2019 11:51

Someone never spending more time listening to an album they never listen to is very psychedelic. grinning smiley

Date: February 25, 2019 18:51

His Majesty
Someone never spending more time listening to an album they never listen to is very psychedelic. grinning smiley

I gave it quite a few years, more than their 1986 disaster got. It's now reduced to an EP on a playlist.

Date: February 25, 2019 18:54

GasLightStreet

I gave it quite a few years, more than their 1986 disaster got. It's now reduced to an EP on a playlist.

Good lad.

So it's unofficially a great EP. grinning smiley smoking smiley

Date: February 25, 2019 18:57

georgie48
GasLightStreet

Hi Max,
If there is one thing this great site has proven over and over, is that there are great varieties in taste among Stones fans. Taste will always be a tough issue to discuss. I respect your taste. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. But I need to respond to your line
"The band doesn't like it. Critics didn't like it. Most Stones fans don't like it"
Some of the Stones (as far as I think, impressed by the negative critics in the media) already had serious problems dealing with Brian Jones' (self inficted) downfall, partly also due to their own childish behavior (as Mick Jagger admitted decades later), so that TSMR became an easy target for them. A lot of the "freaky stuff" on that album came from Brian, so "the others were not to blame so much" for the "poor result". Objective? No.
Then the critics in the media. Don't forget that "Seargent Pepper" had been welcomed way beyond normal levels. It was almost "a God given album", which off course it isn't. Because of all the court problems the release of TSMR was much delayed and certainly not an attempt to copy the Beatles. The Stones had started to work on TSMR material already in November 1966! (Ian Stewart notes!). The "critics" were already very much biased, an no longer objective. What did they really know? So, as far as I'm concerned many media comments were perfect for the dust bin.
Then the Stones fans. TSRM for sure is very different from "the other" Stones albums, but my experience over the past 50+ years (and I happen to know very many Stones fans) has been that TSMR is not necessarily an often listed to album, but many nevertheless find it a good album to occasionally listen to. So do I, but I always skip STST, part 2, because it doesn't meet my taste cool smiley
It's clear that you don't like TSMR at all, but if you happen to have the original vinyl version, don't throw it away! You may regret it winking smiley
smileys with beer

I do like some of the songs on TSMR. I've never thought of it as a SGT PEPPERS wannabe, it's just what was going on at the time. SPLHCB is a superior album to TSMR.

TSMR is about the same as BRIDGES TO BABYLON, which is a decent comparison - some good songs, a couple of great songs, in context, and the rest should've never been released. Of course BTB is a much longer album, a double album, so there's more to... discern with. But it's basically the same in terms of what's good and what is bad.

Date: February 26, 2019 07:35

I have no problems with Gomper. Decent song, appropriate for the time when it was recorded. Just the "wah wah" sound is too repetitive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-26 07:36 by jumpingjackflash5.

Date: February 26, 2019 10:14

I don't hate the album ...it was a product of its time and, for me at least, an interesting diversion that merits the occasional fun listen.

I just wish it sounded a bit more "euphonic" throughout, with a little stridency reserved for emphasis perhaps.

I have often wondered what the songs might have sounded like if written on either side of the "psychedelic" phase... but some may not have been written at all because they were products of that same energy & idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-26 10:50 by Spud.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 26, 2019 10:41

Half of Their Satanic Majesties Request (and half of Gomper) is miles better than Between the Buttons or Dirty Work. The problem is that the other half is unlistenable. Unfortunately, I don't have a hi-fi where I can select the numbers to play, so I hardly listen to the album, which is a pity because especially 2000 Lightyears, Citadel and Rainbow are precious. Lantern and Another Land are not bad.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 26, 2019 15:12

I was thinking the same thing, would definitely take TSMR over Buttons. 2000 Light years and Rainbow are heavyweights and I thoroughly enjoy the extended adventures given that it gets played 3-6 times a year. The mono release added to my enjoyment...

Date: February 26, 2019 16:33

I think 'Satanic' gets on overly bad rap, based mainly on a few sections only.
Many of the songs are good core songs.
It is really just "See what Happens", and then the long instrumental section of "Gomper" that I think people focus on in criticism.
Then the overall production is hit and miss. But IMO it's very valid experimentation. "Lantern" and "Sing this all Together", and probably "On with the Show" are good songs that buckle under the weight of heavy handed '68 studio chicanery. But that endears me to them even more.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 26, 2019 17:07

Where did this title come from?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 27, 2019 10:22

Elmo Lewis
Where did this title come from?

[www.urbandictionary.com]

[gompers.org]

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-27 10:23 by Mathijs.

Date: February 27, 2019 14:35

Okay ....

So it's a drooling idiot?

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: February 27, 2019 15:42

Better quality with this link :

[we.tl]

Date: February 27, 2019 15:50

Thanks!

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: February 27, 2019 15:59

wow, allready 5 pages about this song

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 27, 2019 16:28

MononoM

Already? It was started nine years ago!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 28, 2019 03:11

…..

ROCKMAN

Date: February 28, 2019 10:11

Played the album last night.

Really enjoyed it...but it still sounds "tinny" !

Date: February 28, 2019 19:00

Deltics
MononoM

Already? It was started nine years ago!

Nine years and 5 pages about nothing. Kind of like another thread lately.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1736
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home