Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Gomper
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 22, 2018 16:13

Redhotcarpet
matxil
The first part is not so bad, but the melody is very very similar to Lady Godiva's Operation from Velvet Underground. Which was recorded in September 1967, but came out January 1968, according to wikipedia. TSMR was recorded from Feb - Oct 1967, and came out December 1967.
Is it possible both bands came up with the same melody around the same time? Maybe the roots of the melody lie in some obscure Tibetan folkband everyone has forgotten about but was all the rage at that time? Or did the Velvet Underground hear Gomper before it was published?
Or is it all just my imagination, running away with me?

Stones were following Velvet Doors Traffic Winwood closely, evident in 1968/1969

So you think the Stones heard Velvet's Lady Godiva before it came out and this inspired them to make Gomper? Because it came out after TSMR.

Date: January 22, 2018 17:06

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
matxil
The first part is not so bad, but the melody is very very similar to Lady Godiva's Operation from Velvet Underground. Which was recorded in September 1967, but came out January 1968, according to wikipedia. TSMR was recorded from Feb - Oct 1967, and came out December 1967.
Is it possible both bands came up with the same melody around the same time? Maybe the roots of the melody lie in some obscure Tibetan folkband everyone has forgotten about but was all the rage at that time? Or did the Velvet Underground hear Gomper before it was published?

Stones were following Velvet Doors Traffic Winwood closely, evident in 1968/1969

Stylistically or musically?

What about financially, sexually or philosophically?

Satisfied and trying...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 22, 2018 17:49

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
matxil

What about financially, sexually or philosophically?

Satisfied and trying...

smileys with beer

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 22, 2018 19:37

One trivial point may be to hint at the contrast, sometimes even difference, between being inspired and following some other band's or musicians' example. The latter often gives a taste of copying to a large extent.

My favourite example, mentionned by me before, is what I once read in the distant past. Someone, I don't remember who or in which context, presented the view that "2000 Light Years from Home" was to be inspired by a song by the Byrds, "C.T.A.-102". If the claim really is valid, it would illustrate how much the Stones in that case were inspired, and at the same time how little they "followed" an example. In other words, how much the song was an outcome of their own creation.

Edits: Printing errors

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-22 20:13 by Witness.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 22, 2018 19:57

ROCKMAN

Date: January 22, 2018 20:26

I very much agree with Christgau's take on the album.
Sure - much of the production is messy. They were stoned, there was no one tucking them in at night anymore. And while throwing artists into the fire can often bring out wonderful results, Charlie Watts was never made for Sarod/ Tabla groove.
Everything about the album says 'time capsule'.
But the core songs have held up very well through the years. Most of them are not so well produced. The Stones didn't have George Martin. So when it came around for them to want horns or strings we got shrill, wobbly charts.
Besides the obvious front-runners, I'd say that "Lantern', '2000 Man', the song section of 'Gomper', and especially 'On with the Show' are excellent songs.
Now, that would be an interesting experiment: to take that album, strip it down and do it over.

Date: January 22, 2018 22:14

ROCKMAN

Date: January 22, 2018 22:54

The sax was mellotron, too?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 22, 2018 23:22

matxil
Redhotcarpet
matxil

So you think the Stones heard Velvet's Lady Godiva before it came out and this inspired them to make Gomper? Because it came out after TSMR.
no and i never said that.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 22, 2018 23:24

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
matxil

Both.

Date: January 22, 2018 23:54

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
matxil

Both.

Try the other way around. Going Home is early Doors smiling smiley

Date: January 23, 2018 11:03

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 26, 2018 06:39

DandelionPowderman

There's real horns on some tracks.

Date: January 26, 2018 07:24

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

There's real horns on some tracks.

Played by Brian?

Date: January 26, 2018 07:33

DandelionPowderman

Played by Brian?

Probably the soprano on Citadel, but the rest, eg on The Lantern, most likely by session cats.

Date: February 13, 2019 14:42

A quick blast of Gomper using my electric dulcimer and the backing from one of the many out takes...

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 14, 2019 06:47

nice, hm

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 14, 2019 07:04

A decent song until its not.

Date: February 14, 2019 08:34

Yeah nice work HM... youre a talented lad …
take a bow...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 14, 2019 16:55

Palace Revolution 2000
... Now, that would be an interesting experiment: to take that album, strip it down and do it over.

That would be very interesting . Those songs redone outside the "hippy drippy" context of the day.

Would they stand up differently ?

I have to admit that , for me, the biggest problem with TSMR is that whatever system or playback device I've used...it's sounded horrible !

Date: February 14, 2019 18:03

Spud

I have to admit that , for me, the biggest problem with TSMR is that whatever system or playback device I've used...it's sounded horrible !

confused smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 20, 2019 23:31

His Majesty
Spud

confused smiley

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Date: February 21, 2019 00:02

Heck Spud … you should meet Eleanor
She doesn't like anyone or anything ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 21, 2019 10:19

grinning smiley

It's the sound of the album I've never been able to get on with.

With few exceptions the instrumental timbre is thin, harsh and strident in the extreme.

I know that some of it is kind of intentional ...but I just don't like it.

Date: February 21, 2019 10:50

GasLightStreet

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: February 21, 2019 10:51

Spud
grinning smiley

It's the sound of the album I've never been able to get on with.

With few exceptions the instrumental timbre is thin, harsh and strident in the extreme.

I know that some of it is kind of intentional ...but I just don't like it.

Yeah, it is kind of spikey.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: February 21, 2019 10:54

Gomper and Sing This All Together for 8 pointless minutes mar what is otherwise quite a strong album. Even with the 2 aforementioned clunkers, the FACT is TSMR is still light years ahead of Between the Buttons in terms of songwriting – it was a giant leap forward for Keith and his band. As easy as it is to criticize this record, that fact shouldn’t be denied.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 21, 2019 12:19

Swayed1967
Gomper and Sing This All Together for 8 pointless minutes mar what is otherwise quite a strong album. Even with the 2 aforementioned clunkers, the FACT is TSMR is still light years ahead of Between the Buttons in terms of songwriting – it was a giant leap forward for Keith and his band. As easy as it is to criticize this record, that fact shouldn’t be denied.

Great songwriting especially in She's A Rainbow, such a beautiful pop-song.
And as far as sound is concerned: Keith really letting his chords ring, especially in Citadel.
Those two songs are the best of the album, I think.

But you're right, Sing This All Together (both versions) and Gomper (after the first okayish 3 minutes), and On With The Show, make the albums as a whole unlistenable. I wish it was possible to somehow cut out those songs from the CD.

Between The Buttons is much worse, because although there is nothing really embarrassing on it, it's all mediocre, third-rate pop-music I really don't like. If I want early 60s pop-music, I prefer Revolver by the Beatles (skipping at least 3 or 4 songs).

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 21, 2019 12:33

The mistake many people make with this album is to view it as something that should feature a definite Stones sound. Wrong.

This was a time of great sonic adventure both in terms of new and unusual instruments being brought to the studio but also a widening of possibilities in the recording process.

It is a one off experiment in sound: tuneful, melodic, daring, beautiful, scary, harsh, poetic, child-like and revealing a more feminine side of the Stones where they put their usual strong, dominant, chauvinism to rest, albeit briefly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-21 12:34 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 21, 2019 12:37

I don't know if much good came out of Satanic Majesties. We had a go at anything we wanted to do - and most of the time we did it ourselves... In those days if you wanted a tabla you had to try and play the thing, which is what we all did. Mick would be banging away on something, I'd be banging something. It was, Let's play this song all together. It was actually a lot of fun rather than a musical revolution.

- Charlie Watts, 2003

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home