Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Stones Tour with no new album..That's OK by me..
Posted by: tioms ()
Date: May 16, 2021 20:37

I do not need them to see them again. I've seen them enough. Maybe good for younger people around age 45, but not anymore for me, 71 of age.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 16, 2021 20:41

You're being revisionist. What would Sasha even do if Lisa didn't provide the blueprint? She is integral to the modern version of the band. I'm sure there's many who like me were disappointed after she quit. I see a revisionist pattern here on the board where folks even act as if there was a possibility they could bring Wyman back in the fold and he would be able to actually play, pick up right where he left off or something.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 16, 2021 21:16

Revisionist? Nope. I realize some were disappointed when Lisa left, but I've never been one of them.
The first time I saw Sasha perform with the Stones it was a revelation - she has more of a subtle classic era back up singer vibe vs. the over-the top circus Vegas act that Lisa brought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-16 21:17 by Hairball.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 16, 2021 21:42

I dislike all that backup singers stuff.Let Mick and Keith sing and the band play

Date: May 16, 2021 22:18

Why is this question being posed as if it's new? They haven't toured behind an album full of new, original material since 2007 (I don't count 2015/16, as they did not explicitly tour for B&L.) Just looking back, the past 10 years have seen them tour for these reasons:

2012-2013: 50th Anniversary/GRRR...
2014: 50th Anniversary Part 2
2015: Sticky Fingers reissue
2016: No album
2017-?: No album

I would love nothing more than for them to tour behind an album. One of my favorite things about other bands like The Killers, Bruce Springsteen, and Paul McCartney is seeing them tour behind new content, testing out the new material to an audience. Sometimes you can feel when a track will become a standard part of the set, other times you can tell you're seeing one of the only performances of a tune. I really wish the Stones would just give us something more than Archive releases and one-off singles, but I truly don't think they're capable or willing to put in the effort needed.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 17, 2021 00:03

It feels as if they have determined to go on as long as they can, until something happens to derail a key member. You have to respect that. They're going to go out on their own terms.
I might like to see them play a final run of shows in London and then take a bow; but more likely it will end in some midwestern U.S. city where Keith forgets the opening chords to SMU, or Mick's voicebox tears. That will be rough. But again, there's a certain admirable quality in taking it as far as it can go.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 17, 2021 00:28

...... okay

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-17 00:29 by Rockman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 17, 2021 02:59

Taylor1
I dislike all that backup singers stuff.Let Mick and Keith sing and the band play

Tunes like Tumbling Dice, Honky Tonk Women, et al. sound great with female backup singers as the studio versions attest to.
But when all these backup singers invade songs like JJF, Satisfaction, etc. live, that's when it can become a problem.

Listen to Satisfaction at MetLife Stadium '19 which is clearly not the best version (Keith is quite sloppy), but when the backup singers add their "magic" it really sounds horrible imo.
It starts to become noticeable around 4:30, but at the 5:00 it becomes almost laughable.

"(I Cant Get No) Satisfaction" Rolling Stones@MetLife Stadium New York 8/5/19

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: May 17, 2021 03:03

The thing is, when Mick says "And now we're gonna play one of our new songs!" most people in the crowd are like uhh.. what?.. we wanna hear Satisfaction man..

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: May 17, 2021 05:09

Really as far a "new" songs go only You Got me Rocking is played frequently. Out of Control is played a bit more heavily now but even that one is 24 years old now. According to Setlist FM Rough Justice and Oh No, Not You Again haven't been played since 2007. I think Doom and Gloom is already pretty much eliminated from rotation. I'll assume Living in Ghost Town will be played every night on the U.S. tour which is a plus.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 17, 2021 08:00

Nikkei
You're being revisionist. What would Sasha even do if Lisa didn't provide the blueprint? She is integral to the modern version of the band. I'm sure there's many who like me were disappointed after she quit. I see a revisionist pattern here on the board where folks even act as if there was a possibility they could bring Wyman back in the fold and he would be able to actually play, pick up right where he left off or something.

Weirdly enough, it's possible that they could pick up from when he left, feel wise. Would anyone notice? Certainly. But it would be more of a media/hype/historical aspect than the continuation of. The importance, or impact, of him playing with/in the Stones again would be news for a minute, and then it would would go away.

Date: May 17, 2021 08:07

Hairball
Taylor1

Tunes like Tumbling Dice, Honky Tonk Women, et al. sound great with female backup singers as the studio versions attest to.
But when all these backup singers invade songs like JJF, Satisfaction, etc. live, that's when it can become a problem.

Listen to Satisfaction at MetLife Stadium '19 which is clearly not the best version (Keith is quite sloppy), but when the backup singers add their "magic" it really sounds horrible imo.
It starts to become noticeable around 4:30, but at the 5:00 it becomes almost laughable.

"(I Cant Get No) Satisfaction" Rolling Stones@MetLife Stadium New York 8/5/19

We've heard worse. It's different. It's just that song. At least it's still the song.

Date: May 17, 2021 09:23

Taylor1

Exile must be tough to listen through for you...

Date: May 18, 2021 02:46

Actually I love Exile.And Shine a LightLet it Loose,Just Wanna See His Face and Tumbling Dice, are the only songs with backup non Stones singers.Of those, the backups are only essential on Let it Loose.They are such great songs inspite of them.I always disliked those gospel Tumbling Dice singers.They are great on Let it Loosethough.

Date: May 18, 2021 07:46

Taylor1
Actually I love Exile.And Shine a LightLet it Loose,Just Wanna See His Face and Tumbling Dice, are the only songs with backup non Stones singers.Of those, the backups are only essential on Let it Loose.They are such great songs inspite of them.I always disliked those gospel Tumbling Dice singers.They are great on Let it Loosethough.

Soul Survivor.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: May 18, 2021 14:33

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Soul Survivor.

Sweet Virginia

Date: May 18, 2021 14:45

Meise
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Soul Survivor.

Sweet Virginia

All Down The Line smiling smiley

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 18, 2021 18:04

Gimme Shelter should never be played w/o backup singer.

Lisa was/is better than Sasha.

Full stop.

Date: May 18, 2021 21:12

DandelionPowderman
Meise
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Soul Survivor.

Sweet Virginia

I could do without them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-18 22:56 by Taylor1.

Date: May 18, 2021 21:13

DandelionPowderman
Meise
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Soul Survivor.

Sweet Virginia

Plundered My Soul!

Date: May 18, 2021 21:19

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Meise
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Soul Survivor.

Sweet Virginia

Plundered My Soul!

Following The River!

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home