Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Stones Tour with no new album..That's OK by me..
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 15, 2021 02:19

Taylor1
They haven’t had one album of new material in the last 24 years.

Their last album of new material was 2005.....so....15, going on 16?

As for them releasing an album, it's not really necessary. They have so few slots for non-warhorses that slipping in Ghost Town, Doom & Gloom, a 'rarity', and an 'audience choice', would have to be only novel items, right before the shove the now utterly boring SFTD down our throats.

Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: May 15, 2021 03:25

I no longer have any interest in seeing the band perform live; it would basically be a continuation of what they've been doing for the past decade or so: The Wash, Rinse, Repeat Tour'. Still, if they've got the energy to continue to get up on stage for a couple of hours every third or fourth night and not embarrass themselves, then more power to them. In that case I might watch a few clips on YouTube.

I would much rather have an album of solid songs in my hands vs. a pair of concert tickets, even if that meant 'Blue & Lonesome 2', although I doubt that's what we'll get in the event they EVER decide to release some new material. Sure, COVID definitely caused things to grind to a halt but there seem to have been creative roadblocks in the way long before the pandemic wrapped its' grip around the world.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 15, 2021 03:27

24FPS
Taylor1

As for them releasing an album, it's not really necessary. They have so few slots for non-warhorses that slipping in Ghost Town, Doom & Gloom, a 'rarity', and an 'audience choice', would have to be only novel items, right before the shove the now utterly boring SFTD down our throats.
Since 1998 they have released one new album,so one in23years,my mistake

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 15, 2021 04:01

Taylor1
24FPS
Taylor1

It's terribly disappointing no matter how you look at it, but when you put it like that it's embarrassingly disappointing.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 15, 2021 05:15

Hairball
Taylor1
24FPS
Taylor1

It's terribly disappointing no matter how you look at it, but when you put it like that it's embarrassingly disappointing.

Not if... they, you, whatever... doesn't care. That would be the Stones for certain. Obviously.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 15, 2021 05:42

Tours without a new original studio album:

1969 - 1
1975 - 1
2002-03 - 2
2012-2019 - 8 counting 2012

Last original studio LP: 2005, not quite 16 years ago.

Did it really matter in 2005? I dunno. I guess. The last grasp of the CD format being not quite completely relevant like it was in 1997. No streaming. iTunes was still young. But since then? No. Would it be nice? Sure. Will they actually play anything from it?

One track, maybe 2. No tracks from anything extra, including LIAGT. Although it would be cool if they did Ghost Town.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 15, 2021 07:21

Hairball
Taylor1
24FPS
Taylor1

Even if you throw in B&L and credit them with two albums in 23 years, that’s still pathetically poor output against their peers of the same and slightly younger age brackets. Dylan, McCartney, Springsteen, Neil Young, hell even AC/DC have been more prolific over the same son of years. I think the only ones worse off are probably Aerosmith. Can’t even recall the last time they put out a new album. Was it Honkin on Bo-Bo?? The Stones have released a few songs here or there on compilations and the bonus discs don’t count IMO because those are old songs just reworked - not new creative ideas and adding modern lyrics to old songs just doesn’t allow the song to old up against the vine of the original albums if you ask me. So yes it’s sparse, the juice is gone, and I don’t think they care much. But Easy Sleazy is a great little surprise to me. Lots of breath of fresh air to it. Wish the boys would come out rocking that hard with their new stuff

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 15, 2021 14:17

Another Vegas-Tour with a biggest hit streak from track 1 onwards? No, boring!

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: May 15, 2021 14:32

The Stones have never just played the hits. If you go see a Stones tribute band you'll see what I mean. A hits only set list would be something like

Satisfaction
Its all over now
The Last Time
paint it black
lets spend the night together
Little red rooster
harlem shuffle
Not fade away
Get off of My Cloud
Honky tonk women
19th nervous breakdown
ruby tuesday
angie
miss you
tumbling dice
Its only Rock and roll
jumping jack flash
start me up
brown sugar

There are several songs in each show that aren't hits. I wager that most people attending a rolling stones show have never heard of Midnight Rambler for example.

I love 'Shattered' but they played it badly in Manchester in 2018, I would have loved another 'hit' instead.

Date: May 15, 2021 14:38

bakersfield
The Stones have never just played the hits. If you go see a Stones tribute band you'll see what I mean. A hits only set list would be something like

Satisfaction
Its all over now
The Last Time
paint it black
lets spend the night together
Little red rooster
harlem shuffle
Not fade away
Get off of My Cloud
Honky tonk women
19th nervous breakdown
ruby tuesday
angie
miss you
tumbling dice
Its only Rock and roll
jumping jack flash
start me up
brown sugar

There are several songs in each show that aren't hits. I wager that most people attending a rolling stones show have never heard of Midnight Rambler for example.

I love 'Shattered' but they played it badly in Manchester in 2018, I would have loved another 'hit' instead.

By 'hits' I think people mean songs off Hot Rocks, their best-selling album ever.

Many of the warhorses weren't singles, hence not hits. However, they were on Hot Rocks smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-15 14:39 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 15, 2021 14:49

GasLightStreet

1969 - 1
1975 - 1
2002-03 - 2

Did it really matter in 2005? I dunno. I guess. The last grasp of the CD format being not quite completely relevant like it was in 1997. No streaming. iTunes was still young. But since then? No. Would it be nice? Sure. Will they actually play anything from it?

One track, maybe 2. No tracks from anything extra, including LIAGT. Although it would be cool if they did Ghost Town.

We all really know that the Stones do what THEY want, but surely are listening to signals from fans. Indeed GLS, LIAGT live would be very nice. We Dutch picked up on Saint Of Me more than any other country and made it a real concert cracker. And the band loved it! LIAGT has the ingredients to also become a live cracker.
Let's just be patient, both news songs and new concerts will come (not so much maybe as we were used to, but still ...). After 57+ Stones fan years I've learned what patience can achieve cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: May 15, 2021 14:50

to be honest, and this is the first time i am saying this... i am not sure if i would like to see them live again... sad smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 15, 2021 15:10

well...I disagree...if they could pull off a LICKS 2 type tour they would be worth seeing hands down.....but not sure they can pull that off again....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 15, 2021 16:07

PaintMonkeyManBlack
to be honest, and this is the first time i am saying this... i am not sure if i would like to see them live again... sad smiley

Saw them in Seattle in 2019 and remember thinking with a lot of sadness that it was probably the last time I was going to see them, but I was ok with it. It was a fantastic show.

Mick and Ronnie WERE the show, and KR seemed a shadow of his former self.

I just didn't think they had another tour in them. Then they announced another leg and I scored lucky dips to Vancouver which of course never happened.

It will be interesting to see if they can muster another lap...I hope they can.

If you can see them one more time and it doesn't bust the bank I think everyone should try. The end of touring is very near.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: May 15, 2021 16:44

Do I want to see them live again?

Based on Manchester? The first hour no, the second hour yes. The difference being that the second hour didn't change from show to show and ran like clockwork. They would do better to rehearse a really strong first half, stick with it and get it right than fumble through 'rarities' that are poor imitations of what they once were. And please, no Blue and Lonesome songs. I like the album but 'Just Your Fool' sounded like a very average pub-rock band. I should know, I used to be in one smiling smiley)

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: May 15, 2021 17:01

I decided I am not going to see them without new album. Get in the same studio and turn out one for us all to remember you by boys.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 15, 2021 18:21

Happened for last 15 years, so why ask now!

Rod

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 15, 2021 18:28

Personally don't need a new album. If they do, they do. If they don't they don't. Chances are if they do it will not be on par with the classics and folks will just complain it isn't up to snuff. What I wouldn't want to see is a tour with 6 or 7 songs off a new album. I would prefer them going deeper into their old catalogue instead.

Posted by: yearsinthemaking ()
Date: May 15, 2021 20:52

At the risk of offending some I'll be bluntly honest. The Stones are so far removed from making good music, live or in studio, that I wouldn't consider paying money to see them. There are far too many bands to see in clubs or on stage that are making good new music and playing their instruments well. Neither of which apply to the Stones of 2021. I would equate watching the Stones of today with watching a bunch of 70 something year old football players lining up to compete. They may be our heroes of old but they can be honored by me in other ways

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 15, 2021 21:08

mr edward
I'd pick a new album over a new tour these days.
agree here.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 15, 2021 21:22

GasLightStreet

1969 - 1
1975 - 1
2002-03 - 2

Did I miss something? Did they not do cuts from Let It Bleed on the '69 tour? Yes, it wasn't released until the end of the tour, but people heard new songs.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 16, 2021 00:38

If they are performing at a club or small venue near me that I don't really have to work too hard at getting tickets for, and they promise to play a special setlist or something, then yeah for sure.

If I have to travel to some f'in cattle barn and be herded around like said beasts of burden, and have to pay a lot for the privilege not to mention go through a big hassle to procure tickets, and expect a typical shed set list, then nah...not just no but hell no.

Sorry but this ain't 1972 and hasn't been for a long time. With the exception of the Oakland arena show in 1999 or whenever it was, every performance I have seen since like 1981 has been at best a disappointment and letdown, and at worst sort of embarrassing (Copenhagen 2007 for instance).

jb

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 16, 2021 00:53

As much as I love them, a studio album at this point without hesitation

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 16, 2021 01:28

I would like to see how they decide to go on, and how it turns out.

Date: May 16, 2021 01:40

wonderboy
I would like to see how they decide to go on, and how it turns out.

I think we're already seeing that wonderboy...they're releasing/regurgitating oldies in shiny new packages, and a new random tune occasionally.
And based on their age, health issues, and the current state of the world, aside from a show here and there there's the possibility of no more tours unfortunately.
I would hope they can celebrate their 60th anniversary in some way - maybe a new tune and a small show somewhere, and make it a pay-per-view.

Date: May 16, 2021 10:41

RobertJohnson

After this pandemic I look forward to meeting up with friends and seeing my favourite band play some of the best songs ever written.

How can that be boring? It won't be smiling smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 16, 2021 11:06

I’d take a new album over a tour. I’ve seen them on ten occasions. As much as I’ve enjoyed each live experience, I don’t feel the need to spend a fortune and stand in a stadium anymore. That goes for all acts I enjoy, quite honestly.

An album or Jagger-Richards originals would be something to really look forward to.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 16, 2021 12:12

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

After this pandemic I look forward to meeting up with friends and seeing my favourite band play some of the best songs ever written.

How can that be boring? It won't be smiling smiley

The emphasis is on the term Vegas-Tour! The many restrictions in the Corona era, which admittedly also create boredom, do not compensate for the boredom of a Vegas performance in my eyes.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 16, 2021 19:39

I wish in1993, Taylor had rejoined .He and Ronnie could have split bass parts live.And also , I may be in the minority , but I have never liked Bernard Fowler , and Lisa Fisher and all the other back up singers.They sounded pretty good from1963to 1981 without them

Date: May 16, 2021 20:29

Taylor1
I wish in1993, Taylor had rejoined .He and Ronnie could have split bass parts live.And also , I may be in the minority , but I have never liked Bernard Fowler , and Lisa Fisher and all the other back up singers.They sounded pretty good from1963to 1981 without them

You're not alone Taylor1 regarding Bernard and Lisa, etc., but thankfully they replaced Lisa around 2015 with Sasha Allen who is a much far better fit imo.
Sasha does her job and does it very well as a backup singer and her excellent vocals on Gimme Shelter, while Lisa tended to stick out like a sore thumb at times - especially on Gimme Shelter.
They got rid of Blondie which was also a plus imo, but unfortunately seems Bernard is there to stay for better or worse...personally I don't see why they need him at all.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1575
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home