Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

stones working with jimmy page and john paul jones
Date: August 28, 2010 13:30

just watched a led zeppelin documentary last night on the biography channel. it mentioned jimmy page and john paul johns worked as studio musicians and they both worked with the stones. which albums and how involved were they?

Re: stones working with jimmy page and john paul jones
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 28, 2010 13:35

Jimmy Page played on some Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra recordings playing some stones stuff, Keith nabbed Page's Heart of Stone solo from those recordings, Page also worked with Brian on his 1967 A Degree of Murder soundtrack.

john Paul Jones arranged strings on She's A Rainbow on Their Satanic Majesties Request.

There's more instances after that, but I only really care about their 60's stuff so someone else can fill in the details from after that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-28 13:37 by His Majesty.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: August 28, 2010 13:40

Here what comes first on my mind:

Heart Of Stone (KR copying J.Page`s solo who was involved in the session)
She`s A Rainbow (J.P.Jones strings)
One Hit To The Body (solo by J.Page)

Anymore?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 28, 2010 13:42

Didn't Page show up on Dirty Work?

And what about Stones on Zeppelin albums?
I think Stu on Physical Graffiti is the only example.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: August 28, 2010 14:06

I've read that Brian Jones and Jimmy Page both played on Nico's I'm Not Sayin', but also that Brian wasn't involved.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 28, 2010 15:09

Ive been asking questions about this one year ago. Nobody seems to know anything about it.
It's about the album 12x5. McLaughlin was involved too:

And:
[www.foxyproductions.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-28 15:25 by Amsterdamned.

Date: August 28, 2010 15:28

That bootleg features stones outtakes, plus some ALO Orchestra tracks, some or all of which appeared on Metamorphosis.

It's not always clear who played on those sessions, but Big Jim Sullivan has been credited with providing the pedal steel type guitar, except it's just him playing a normal guitar in tandem with a volume/tone pedal.

Date: August 28, 2010 15:38

His Majesty
That bootleg features stones outtakes, plus some ALO Orchestra tracks, some or all of which appeared on Metamorphosis.

It's not always clear who played on those sessions, but Big Jim Sullivan has been credited with providing the pedal steel type guitar, except it's just him playing a normal guitar in tandem with a volume/tone pedal.

Is this bootleg still available?
Would be nice to hear McLaughlin play in his very early days, especially with the Stones.

Date: August 28, 2010 15:46

Amsterdamned
Would be nice to hear McLaughlin play in his very early days, especially with the Stones.

I have the actual CD, i'm sure it's been posted here before. It's hard to say whether he's playing on it or not, nothing that stands out as being him anyway.

Date: August 28, 2010 15:55

His Majesty
Amsterdamned

I have the actual CD, i'm sure it's been posted here before. It's hard to say whether he's playing on it or not, nothing that stands out as being him anyway.

Thanks for your info. John can copy almost any Rocker very anonymus if he wants. I will search for it and try to trace his playing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-28 16:20 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 29, 2010 01:55

Edith Grove
Didn't Page show up on Dirty Work?

And what about Stones on Zeppelin albums?
I think Stu on Physical Graffiti is the only example.

Stu played on "Rock and Roll" for Zep's 4th album (recorded in early 1971) and also on "Boogie With Stu" -- which was recorded around the same time, but not released until Physical Graffiti in '75.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 29, 2010 03:33

Stu actually gets a writing credit on Boogie With Stu! I always wondered if he got more money from the royalty off that song than he did with the Stones?

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 30, 2010 16:30

[/quote]

Would be nice to hear McLaughlin play in his very early days, especially with the Stones.[/quote]

What a career change McLaughlin made:

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 30, 2010 16:41

Mick, Bill and Stu participated in the compilation album "Blues Anytime" on a couple of
songs that Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton wrote together in 1968.

I thought Stu also played on a Yardbirds album in the Jimmy Page Era. Wasn't there a song called Drinking Muddy Water that has Stu on piano?

Edit: It does sound like Stu, though he's a bit low in the mix:

And it is said that Jimmy played on the Out of time demo, that ended up on Metamorphosis.
I don't know if that's confirmed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-30 16:44 by marcovandereijk.

Date: August 30, 2010 16:48

kovach

Would be nice to hear McLaughlin play in his very early days, especially with the Stones.[/quote]

What a career change McLaughlin made:

[/quote]

Lol. I'am glad he did!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-30 19:07 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 31, 2010 07:13

I believe Page played at some ARMS shows w/Bill & Charlie as well -- not sure if he was on any of the recordings or videos.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 31, 2010 20:19

His Majesty
Jimmy Page played on some Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra recordings playing some stones stuff, Keith nabbed Page's Heart of Stone solo from those recordings, Page also worked with Brian on his 1967 A Degree of Murder soundtrack.

john Paul Jones arranged strings on She's A Rainbow on Their Satanic Majesties Request.

There's more instances after that, but I only really care about their 60's stuff so someone else can fill in the details from after that.

Didn't John Paul Jones play bass on most of the Oldham Orchestra demo's/sessions?

Mathijs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home