Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Calling all obsessive Stones scholars/rabid fans for recommendations.
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 7, 2011 23:07

I once read a review of a Stones album (forget which one now) that had been remastered by Virgin Records. Remastering is always supposed to be wonderful, right? Well this reviewer said, "This is not the same album that sold millions back in 19__" He meant he preferred the original "version" of the album to the remastered one.

To anyone who has listened to the various versions of some/all such albums, which are better to your ear? (Just one album's comparison would be helpful.) Or maybe there is a thread on this site already with that info you could direct me to. Thanks!

Re: Calling all obsessive Stones scholars/rabid fans for recommendations.
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 7, 2011 23:17

Title5Take1
I once read a review of a Stones album (forget which one now) that had been remastered by Virgin Records. Remastering is always supposed to be wonderful, right? Well this reviewer said, "This is not the same album that sold millions back in 19__" He meant he preferred the original "version" of the album to the remastered one.

To anyone who has listened to the various versions of some/all such albums, which are better to your ear? (Just one album's comparison would be helpful.) Or maybe there is a thread on this site already with that info you could direct me to. Thanks!

Many threads (do a search)...I think the general consensus about the Universal reissues is that they didn't sound better, they only sounded "louder". I wouldn't know, as I refused to buy all these albums again with no extra tracks or any other goodies to entice me (save Exile, of course) to purchase the exact same music for what would have been a fourth time. Personally I think the Virgin remasters sound pretty good. The original vinyl sounds better.

Re: Calling all obsessive Stones scholars/rabid fans for recommendations.
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 7, 2011 23:20

agree with tele. no marketable improvement of the UMG over the Virgin masters. there was a significant improvement from the CBS to the Virgins....and, when in doubt, spin yer vinyl....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home