Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The "Hippest Songs by Artists Not Considered To Be Particularly Hip" thread
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 22, 2010 16:23

The Association - "Along Comes Mary"

"When we met I was sure out to lunch. Now my empty cup tastes as sweet as the punch"

Do you know what it means? Hell, no. Do you love it anyway? Sure you do!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-30 15:25 by tatters.

Re: OT: The "Hippest Songs by Artists Not Considered To Be Particularly Hip" thread
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 22, 2010 16:25

Re: OT: The "Hippest Songs by Artists Not Considered To Be Particularly Hip" thread
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 22, 2010 17:33

love neil diamond's voice...but, i would presume he isn't normally considered "hip" to rock fans....but he's got a few good ones that should appeal to rockers....cherry, cherry....i'm a believer.....thank the lord for the nighttime, etc....

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 22, 2010 18:24

tatters

"When we met I was sure out to lunch. Now my empty cup is as sweet as the punch"

Do you know what that means? Of course not! Do you love it anyway? Sure you do!

Not only is that a great record, but producer Curt Boettcher is a cult figure that is considered very hip.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: July 22, 2010 18:30

I See The Rain by Marmalade

Nothing like the rest of their catalogue at all

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 22, 2010 18:33

The Osmonds - Crazy Horses
Cliff Richard - Move It
David Essex - Rock On
Cher - Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves

and I always like David Cassidy's How Can I Be Sure and was ashamed until I found out it was written by Felix Cavaliere and Eddie Brigati of The Rascals.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: July 22, 2010 18:36

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 22, 2010 18:36

There are many, but how about Lulu`s "Love Song" (Lesley Duncan)?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 22, 2010 18:40

noughties
There are many, but how about Lulu`s "Love Song" (Lesley Duncan)?

I was going to mention Lulu's The Boat That I Row which is a great groovy go go song from 67. But come to think of it she ain't that uncool and she made a great album on Atco in 69.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: July 22, 2010 20:10

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 22, 2010 20:41

Silver Dagger wrote:
"But come to think of it she ain't that uncool and she made a great album on Atco in 69."

Yeah, "New Routes", plus one more; "Melody Fair", the year after. "Love Song" is from the bonus material added to the double CD with those two albums. Great, great music, maybe underrated.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 22, 2010 22:25

Date: July 23, 2010 01:31

loog droog
tatters

"When we met I was sure out to lunch. Now my empty cup is as sweet as the punch"

Do you know what that means? Of course not! Do you love it anyway? Sure you do!

Not only is that a great record, but producer Curt Boettcher is a cult figure that is considered very hip.

I confess I'm not familiar with any of their albums, only their other hits, but just based on that, ACM would seem to be the anomaly; the one time they got it incredibly, unbelievably, right. Take that one away, and their hipness quotient drops to the level of the The Lettermen. Interestingly, The Association was Jimmy Webb's first choice to record "MacArthur Park". Webb presented it to the band as originally written, as a 22-minute "cantata" that would fill an album side. The Association hated it, and refused to record it. Probably, they should have done it. Good or bad, the results certainly would have been "legendary".

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 23, 2010 01:34

Always heard ACM was a refernece to "Mary Jane". True?

Date: July 23, 2010 01:36

[en.wikipedia.org]

The Blood Houng Gang thinks so.

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: July 23, 2010 01:38

Three Dog Night- Mama Told Me Not to Come

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 23, 2010 01:47

Posted by: mrgrowl791 ()
Date: July 23, 2010 02:58

Bread Freedom

Love the guitar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-23 03:01 by mrgrowl791.

Date: July 23, 2010 03:05

Elmo Lewis
Always heard ACM was a refernece to "Mary Jane". True?

Yeah, but I don't think it's either a pro-drug or anti-drug song. I think it's just questioning whether or not drugs are going to do you some good or do you some harm. I'll try and post the lyrics this weekend if I get a chance. Amazingly sophisticated for Top 40 radio in 1966. As good a year as that was, ACM still stood out as something really remarkable.

Tandyn Almer, who wrote Along Comes Mary, is known, mainly, for two things: He wrote Along Comes Mary, and he is the inventor of the "Slave-Master" bong. "Write what you know", every young writer is told, at one time, or another.

Date: July 23, 2010 05:19

Every time I think that I'm the only one who's lonely
Someone calls on me
And every now and then I spend my time in rhyme and verse
And curse those faults in me

And then along comes Mary
And does she want to give me kicks, and be my steady chick
And give me pick of memories
Or maybe rather gather tales of all the fails and tribulations
No one ever sees

When we met I was sure out to lunch
Now my empty cup tastes as sweet as the punch

When vague desire is the fire in the eyes of chicks
Whose sickness is the games they play
And when the masquerade is played and neighbor folks make jokes
As who is most to blame today

And does she want to set them free, and let them see reality
From where she got her name
And will they struggle much when told that such a tender touch as hers
Will make them not the same

And when the morning of the warning's passed, the gassed
And flaccid kids are flung across the stars
The psychodramas and the traumas gone
The songs are left unsung and hung upon the scars

And does she want to see the stains, the dead remains of all the pains
She left the night before
Or will their waking eyes reflect the lies, and make them
Realize their urgent cry for sight no more

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-23 05:46 by tatters.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 23, 2010 05:29

StonesTod
love neil diamond's voice...but, i would presume he isn't normally considered "hip" to rock fans....but he's got a few good ones that should appeal to rockers....cherry, cherry....i'm a believer.....thank the lord for the nighttime, etc....

Love Soolaimon and Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show. That is hip.

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: July 24, 2010 04:39

mrgrowl791
Bread Freedom

Love the guitar

I was going to list a Bread song called Let Your Love Go that was a bit of a rocker for them.

Date: March 30, 2011 15:23

Just heard The Association, who I think rarely play outside of California, are doing a big national tour with the Turtles this summer. Might have to go check that out. Should be a very cheap ticket, if nothing else.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 30, 2011 15:27

This is a well thought out and very good example:

2 1 2 0

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 30, 2011 15:32

I don't know... the 80's..
but this is really good, to me...

Date: March 30, 2011 15:36

duke richardson
I don't know... the 80's..
but this is really good, to me...

One Thing Leads To Another was their big hit in the states, but the one I really like is Stand Or Fall.

Date: March 30, 2011 15:38

Come On
This is a well thought out and very good example:

They just played a concert near me. Tickets were $50 and $100. For frickin' DEVO, for chrissakes! This is why I have largely stopped going to concerts.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 30, 2011 15:46

Frickin? Classic you mean...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: March 30, 2011 15:52

Come On
Frickin? Classic you mean...grinning smiley

Okay. $100 for CLASSIC Devo. This is why I have largely stopped going to concerts.

Date: March 30, 2011 16:19

BeeGees "To Love Somebody"

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1396
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home