Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 13
Re: Keith at NYC Public Library October 29
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 6, 2010 17:27

Ya can but try girl ... costs nothing

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Re: Keef in NYC: Counting the days til Sept. 29
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 6, 2010 17:27

paulywaul
I'm with ya ... counting them too !!

crikes!
you making the trip and taking the chance on getting a signed book, Pauly?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 6, 2010 17:32

Adrian-L
paulywaul

crikes!

I'll have a stab at getting a ticket yes, because if I succeed, I do have hundreds of thousands of (don't laugh please) BRITISH AIRWAYS miles that ought to get me a freebie flight, and additionally I have a cousin in NY/NJ that can put me up for a few days. Gettin' the ticket might be the tricky bit though ........... !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 6, 2010 17:37

i wish you the very best of luck - send him warm regards from IORR Surrey Branch!

Posted by: maarisathena ()
Date: September 7, 2010 07:49

Swiss--you are a librarian? So is my old man. I was reading this and thinking that perhaps we could make a trip to New York on some official business--dreaming--then I read that you are a librarian. I am impressed. Do you have an area of specialization?

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: September 7, 2010 20:42

Thanx for the info,a road trip to NYC sounds real good to me right now,fingers crossed for tix...

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: September 7, 2010 21:23

swiss
That's worth a trip to NYC!!! I'm a librarian myself - maybe I can get a backstage pass winking smiley

Librarians are hot.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: September 7, 2010 21:25

maarisathena
Swiss--you are a librarian? So is my old man. I was reading this and thinking that perhaps we could make a trip to New York on some official business--dreaming--then I read that you are a librarian. I am impressed. Do you have an area of specialization?

Does it matter? tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 7, 2010 21:28

Brue
swiss
That's worth a trip to NYC!!! I'm a librarian myself - maybe I can get a backstage pass winking smiley

Librarians are hot.

LOL - if I'd seen only the comment, but not the poster, I still would've known that was a Brue post.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: September 7, 2010 21:28

paulywaul
Adrian-L
paulywaul

crikes!

I'll have a stab at getting a ticket yes, because if I succeed, I do have hundreds of thousands of (don't laugh please) BRITISH AIRWAYS miles that ought to get me a freebie flight, and additionally I have a cousin in NY/NJ that can put me up for a few days. Gettin' the ticket might be the tricky bit though ........... !!

British Airways allows for free flights with enough air miles? I'm switching right away. I have a refundable ticket to NYC and think I have a hookup (not free) on a ticket to the event. Fingers and toes crossed...

CBII

Date: September 7, 2010 21:41

maarisathena

hi maarisathena, that's cool your dad is a librarian smiling smiley where are you-all located? would he be down for such a trip?

My training, education, and particular brand of geekiness and passion (learning, researching, connecting people with stuff they're looking for) is that of a librarian. I have an MLS (master of library science), as probably does your father if you are in the US. That said, my focus has always been on the internet. I was actively involved with planning committees and volunteering at our public library (because I believe public libraries are the most important and radically democratic institutions in America), but I chose to apply my skills online--the same skills, and the same intent. Otherwise, the people who are in the online world are solely in it for commerce--nothing else. I realized I could do my good work and reach many people via internet. So, I'm an information architect/experience designer. And like a librarian in a physical library--whose sole raison d'être is respecting where people are and helping them to migrate somewhere else they wanna go (via learning, resources, books, exploration, finding cool stuff serendipitously) that's what i do in designing the "user experience" in web sites, etc. NOT to dupe people into stumbling into shit (e.g., clicking ads) without understanding fully what they're doing. Not to entice people to act impulsively and buy or do shit not in their best interests. Not to make people feel stupider, less able, less confident, or less happy -- which is what a lot of web experiences do. I do the opposite: meet and exceed the business goals of my clients (cuz they are businesses) but by being transparent and inspiring delight and learning in people using the systems. SO that's what one type of 21st Century librarian looks like. Same soul. Same motivation. But working in a shark tank, really. winking smiley

best
swiss

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 7, 2010 21:43

CBII
think I have a hookup (not free) on a ticket to the event. Fingers and toes crossed...

Lucky!

Date: September 7, 2010 22:40

CBII
think I have a hookup (not free) on a ticket to the event. Fingers and toes crossed...

naive me...but, earnest question, CBII do you mean some tkts will be reserved or available for special peeps, and not everyone has to get them via the the ticketbroker?

If so, I wonder whether there will be any of us from the hoi polloi who'll be able to score tkts

- swiss

Posted by: mark01942 ()
Date: September 8, 2010 20:59

Is keef not doing any U.K dates/signings? I'm in NW England and would travel to London for a Waterstones type queue-overnight gig, but going all the way to N.Y.C.? thats a bit much!-Where do you people get all your £££ from?

BTW I read in a tabloid recently, that Keith enjoys (and goes in person) for plain sponge cakes* from his local bakers in Surrey-you'd prob have a better chance of meeting him there!

*Thats SPONGE not SPACE cakes ta!

**I met Bill Wyman in Waterstones in Manchester-very polite and posed for a pic. with me too!smiling smiley

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 8, 2010 23:41

It doesn't mean to say he won't be signing books, but Keith's appearance at NYPL is billed as a talk.

Date: September 8, 2010 23:48

swiss
CBII

naive me...but, earnest question, CBII do you mean some tkts will be reserved or available for special peeps, and not everyone has to get them via the the ticketbroker?

If so, I wonder whether there will be any of us from the hoi polloi who'll be able to score tkts

- swiss

By no means. I meant one of my friends has a second ticket. I'm hoping his girl wants to go shopping or some other mindless distraction.

Date: September 9, 2010 00:04

If someone already has two tickets, then surely it does mean that not everyone has to get them from the ticketbroker?!

Date: September 9, 2010 00:15

Beast
If someone already has two tickets, then surely it does mean that not everyone has to get them from the ticketbroker?!

I think you're on to something there. How did he already get his? Time to make a phone call and see what's the deal.

CBII

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: September 9, 2010 00:51

this event is like any other those that the principal feels should be in the room, will be in the room. when that's done with then tickets will go to the general public.

OLDKR

Date: September 9, 2010 04:03

CBII
Beast

I think you're on to something there. How did he already get his? Time to make a phone call and see what's the deal.

Can't wait to hear what you learn, CBII! And if he does have 2 tix I will hope for your sake too that the girlfriend choose mindless distractions and gives you ger Keith tkt. I myself love mindless girlie distractions...however: Keith in a Public Library is one of the yummiest distractions I personally can possibly ever imagine winking smiley

- swiss

Date: September 9, 2010 22:21

Keith now not showing on the Library's upcoming schedule?

[www.nypl.org]

Date: September 9, 2010 22:36

Panic not - that's because the ticket sales for the Keith and Jay-Z events are being announced separately.

Date: September 9, 2010 22:39

True that!

Posted by: wydraman ()
Date: September 10, 2010 20:14

For $40, you can sign up to be a "friend of the library" which grants you access to a presale for the tickets. I got an email from the library saying that they would go on sale a month before the event date, with a presale before that. I also read on their site that all events are book signings unless noted. I havent seen anything that says it isn't a book signing, so i'm leaning towards it being one. It also looks like the capacity of the room is 500, so a signing would be able to be accomplished? Sounds fun.

Date: September 10, 2010 20:37

Keith's appearance has been billed as a talk or lecture and tickets are not in the presale:

Keith Richards and Jay-Z each will give talks this fall at the New York Public Library.

The Rolling Stones guitarist will speak Oct. 29 at the Celeste Bartos auditorium at the library's main branch on 5th Avenue as part of the promotion for his memoir "Life." Jay-Z will discuss his memoir "Decoded" on Nov. 15.

The $40 Friends Membership does include a 46% discount off tickets to the
LIVE from the NYPL lectures, and this fall's pre-sale will be from
September 10-12. As of right now, the pre-sale will have the entire fall
LIVE season available, except for the Keith Richards and Jay-Z lectures.
Those tickets will currently go on sale a month prior to their respective
dates.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 10, 2010 20:47

Man $40 plus another fee just to get in. I like Keith but I'd rather spend that much to see him on a stage.Not a library.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: September 10, 2010 20:59

Thanks Beast.

Hmm...not sure why but the fact that it's not a book signing does make me less excited about this...

Posted by: wydraman ()
Date: September 10, 2010 21:47

got a call from the library this morning, the presale for keith will be around the 28th of this month...also havent seen anything saying that its NOT a book signing

Date: September 11, 2010 10:58

wydraman
got a call from the library this morning, the presale for keith will be around the 28th of this month...also havent seen anything saying that its NOT a book signing

$40 to make a charitable donation to support a great institution like the NY Public Library is chump change - plus it's tax deductible!

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: September 12, 2010 09:08

wow...i need to check back in with IORR more often...i got out of the compulsive habit!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1775
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home