Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Let's Spend The Night Together Official DVD Release
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: November 11, 2010 03:46

24FPS
The 'Dark Songs' might have been missing in an attempt to be as mainstream as possible. This is a band that was just turning the corner from the difficult and messy end of the 70s. 'Love You Live' was mediocre. Keith busted. The '78 Tour was critically panned in Rolling Stone magazine, as was the 'Some Girls' album before Jann stepped in to make nice. In retrospect the '81 Tour looks like they wanted to cash in at the biggest level possible. This was the first commercially sponsored tour (Jovan). They had their last big hit, 'Start Me Up', and the album had a lot of crossover appeal with 'Waiting On A Friend'. They seemed to arrive in the guise of innocent 50s rock and rollers. Cover selections like 'Going to a Go Go' and '20 Flight Rock' gave the tour a Beach Boysy, summer good time with the Rolling Stones. It was fun at the time, but shallow. But, it helped solidify their reputation and pocketbooks.

That really is a good analysis. Thanks for your thoughts.

And skipstone, I agree with you as well - at least it's on dvd, as is Ladies & Gentlemen. Why complain about it? Most of us have been waiting for years for proper dvd releases of these features.

Posted by: glimmertwin50 ()
Date: November 11, 2010 03:58

It's nice that this is out in DVD but the audio runs fast. The old official VHS copies run at the right speed.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: November 11, 2010 08:14

shadooby
Just be aware that if you're looking for live ROIO dvd's,I've had bad luck with a certain someone. I purchased many dvd boots from this certain someone over the last few years and the dvd-r's have become suddenly unplayable in all of my dvd players (cheap dvd-r's)?

As Keef would say "that's the price of an education"!

It might be the DVD's, or it might be the labels. If they are not "factory pressed", and/or just have cheap stick-on labels, then the glue from the labels may have seeped into the info on the disc. I had this happen with a lot of discs, DVD and CD, that I have made for myself, until I read online that the glue from labels can ruin discs.

They are usually still salvageable, even if they're not playable. So far, with all the ones I've had go bad and then tried to re-burn, I've been able to do so. I've been able to copy the info (the Video TS file) from the disc onto my computer. Either by drag and drop, or using a program like DVD Shrink, and then burning a new disc from there. Even though your computer may not play the disc, it may still be able to copy it.

Here is an excellent page on DVD media, which discs to buy, which to avoid:

[www.digitalfaq.com]

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 11, 2010 14:57

Just picked it up at BORDER'S.... (w/coupon for $10.04)

Helter..I agree about the "Jane Fonda WorkOut" comparison but just as with all
of the other tours, it was the sign of the times. Probably....Mick's attempt to stay trendy
and ever-changing.

I've watched only parts of the dvd so far. Others here have pointed out that it's been
cropped on top & bottom for 16:9....to me it seems it's also been blown up a bit w/cropping
on left & right side also (in an uncomfortable, crowded way). Anyone else?

In the few parts that I've watched (16:9) on a 50+ inch screen...there were scenes where Mick was
on the left ....facing & singing LEFT....in which he was practically cropped at the nose. No breathing
room if you know what I mean. Uncomfortably tight. I think I would've remembered
that from the vhs. I'd have to do a side by side comparison...but I also think the recent wide-screen
broadcast on TCM (or AMC?) may have been better...widescreen yet looser. (is that possible?)

That being said...the picture was sharper and the colors were a bit more vibrant.
Still haven't had a chance to blast the 5.1 audio (napping toddler)...but I expect to do so..soon.

re: darker songs not performed on this tour

i agree with much of what's been said. just seems obvious to me that these would be
out of place. the whole vibe was HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY with the bright colors, day-time shows,
Mick's physically fit image etc..... Let It Bleed almost seemed out of place. Obviously in the movie
the segment with Let It Bleed was in a dark indoor arena....can't imagine seeing that song
performed on a bright sunny day in a stadium. Maybe that's just me. winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-11 15:01 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 12, 2010 03:58

Hey Glimmertwin 50, I was going to say the exact same thing. All the songs are too fast. Actually ruins the whole DVD in my opinion. Got my copy yesterday at Futureshop in Canada for $10!

Date: November 12, 2010 12:39

Hi DGA35: It ruins the DVD for me too. I prefer my VHS to DVD transfer from the Ebassy VHS release. The picture is in 4:3, not as sharp, but the sound is correct. It's too bad the new DVD release ended up being a dissapointment.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 12, 2010 15:01

what about the contract with Universal ?? does it include only the music or dvd/bluray videos too ? A proper release should come from Universal.
The master tapes are excellent (watch Being Mick parts). We do not need crap anymore.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 12, 2010 15:10

The DVD debuts at #5 in U.S:

[www.google.com]

Date: November 12, 2010 15:16

glimmertwin50
It's nice that this is out in DVD but the audio runs fast. The old official VHS copies run at the right speed.

Isn't the running time for the dvd the same as vhs and theater release?

I'm aware of the complaints that its been sped up & poorly edited. .....but that's
been the case since the theatrical release. you are sayin git's sped up even more and still
has the 94 minute running time (or whatever it was)?

re: Toomuchforme

"he master tapes are excellent (watch Being Mick parts)."

refresh my memory....did they show clips from LSTNT in Being Mick? I don't recall.
Did I misunderstand?

Date: November 12, 2010 23:23

I didn't check the running time compared to the old VHS but the new DVD is definitely more sped up. It's the first thing I noticed when UMT started and then I skipped to each song and sure enough, all are too fast.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 13, 2010 01:05

I have the original vhs and yes the sound is sped up and the picture is chopped all to hell, so to a true fan it's a useless release unless you like the menus. At least I've still got the vhs to dvd transfer, and the audio ripped from vhs sounds much better than this new dvd. Much better stereo separation and clarity.

And what's up with the "special" features like the trailer, I can't find them anywhere.

Date: November 13, 2010 16:40

I agrre that the VHS to DVD transfer is the better option. For those questioning how we know it is evident that the sound is sped up:

Shattered and Neighbors are in the key of E. But on the DVD release these songs play at least a half step faster (probably they sound in the key of F on the DVD but I haven't checked with a guitar). Believe us, they are definitely sped up on the DVD.

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: November 13, 2010 17:04

I have aready this release on DVD.
What is the difference with the new one?

Mr.Fancyman

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 13, 2010 17:08

glimmertwin50
I agrre that the VHS to DVD transfer is the better option. For those questioning how we know it is evident that the sound is sped up:

Shattered and Neighbors are in the key of E. But on the DVD release these songs play at least a half step faster (probably they sound in the key of F on the DVD but I haven't checked with a guitar). Believe us, they are definitely sped up on the DVD.

Maybe they decided, 'sped up', Mick's cocaine-addled voice wouldn't sound so low?
I'm only half-joking!

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: November 13, 2010 17:57

I have the Argentinian release from a few years ago
should i stick with it instead of buying this new one??

Date: November 13, 2010 20:22

glimmertwin50

ok..i believe you. next question: whay do you think this was done? purposely...lazy...or???

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: November 13, 2010 20:45

glimmertwin50

Is this dvd PAL or NTSC? With PAL remember the PAL-speeding. The music is a half step faster. Thats the reason I don`t buy PAL dvd`s anymore(Incl Shine A Light). You don`t have this problem with NTSC or Blueray.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 13, 2010 20:46

sweet neo con
glimmertwin50

ok..i believe you. next question: whay do you think this was done? purposely...lazy...or???

Perhaps to simulate a faster show/excitement in the music? Or maybe there were time restraints and needed to speed up songs? Whatever reason...it's a crap idea.

Just finished watching it again and I came away with more respect for the film. Removing any other bootleg videos out there...from a perspective of a consumer...they have some great material to choose from now---finally! I think we should be proud that LSTNT is out there.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 13, 2010 21:14

shadooby
I have the original vhs and yes the sound is sped up and the picture is chopped all to hell, so to a true fan it's a useless release unless you like the menus. At least I've still got the vhs to dvd transfer, and the audio ripped from vhs sounds much better than this new dvd. Much better stereo separation and clarity.

And what's up with the "special" features like the trailer, I can't find them anywhere.

I thought the speed issue might be PAL speedup but I assume the new DVD is NTSC?

As for the cropping, if the original cinema version was 2.20:1 then the 4:3 version is already losing almost half the picture further cropping is a horrible thought.

Date: November 13, 2010 21:51

Justin
sweet neo con
glimmertwin50

Perhaps to simulate a faster show/excitement in the music? Or maybe there were time restraints and needed to speed up songs? Whatever reason...it's a crap idea.

Just finished watching it again and I came away with more respect for the film. Removing any other bootleg videos out there...from a perspective of a consumer...they have some great material to choose from now---finally! I think we should be proud that LSTNT is out there.

how can you say it's a "crap idea"..and then respect it more?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-13 21:52 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 13, 2010 22:28

The speeding up issue--although is unnecessary--is a slight blemish over the whole film which still holds up extremely well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-13 22:28 by Justin.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: November 13, 2010 22:42

I swear I saw a high-def version on the Palladia cable channel a few months ago. It blew me away, and I'd like to get that version, and it sounds like this DVD doesn't cut it.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: November 13, 2010 22:51

Sipuncula
I swear I saw a high-def version on the Palladia cable channel a few months ago. It blew me away, and I'd like to get that version, and it sounds like this DVD doesn't cut it.

You did, I saw it too. So where's the Blu-ray?

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 13, 2010 22:54

cbtaco19
Sipuncula

You did, I saw it too. So where's the Blu-ray?

I saw that too and it was hd but it was also cropped, I recorded it on my dvr. It was funny how they took the line "tits and ass" out of little t&a.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-13 22:58 by shadooby.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 14, 2010 01:04

The only Stones-dvd that I watch with some regularity these days is the second dvd from Four Flicks (MSG, NY 2003). Seems to me that indoor-stadiums is the best arena for The Stones. "When the whip comes down" from that concert is simply stunning! I have "Let's spend.." on VHS and it has been collecting dust for decades... .

Date: November 14, 2010 01:05

Sipuncula

is that the same version that was on TCM (or AMC?)?

i dvr'd it and burned it to dvd.......i don't remember the cropping being as extreme as it
is on the LIONS GATE release. someday I'll compare.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: November 14, 2010 01:37

DGA35
I didn't check the running time compared to the old VHS but the new DVD is definitely more sped up. It's the first thing I noticed when UMT started and then I skipped to each song and sure enough, all are too fast.

I'm glad this topic was brought up because I thought I was imagining things after I watched LSTNT. Satisfaction in particular sounded especially fast...

Date: November 14, 2010 02:27

I checked my old VHS copy and it says 94 minutes and the new DVD says 87 minutes so I don't understand why the time difference. I can't see them running out of space on the DVD?

Date: November 14, 2010 02:57

I think it was sloppy mastering - there is no reason to have the audio run fast.
Also, someone asked if I had a copy of the PAL version which would play faster because of the frame rates per second - I have the NTSC Region 1 release.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1545
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home