Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Tangerine Dream
Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: August 19, 2010 02:06

Any Tangerine Dream fans? I did a search & came up empty (which kinda surprised me).

I have a few live CDs from the Tangerine Tree vine. The 1975 Croydon is great.

*** Sorry for being OT but the Grateful Dead & mellotron threads made me think of it.

Re: OT: Tangerine Dream
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 19, 2010 02:24

I had a chance to interview them for my college newspaper in 1981 and declined because I didn't know enough about them. I wish now I had taken a crash course and faked my way through it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-19 02:26 by tatters.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 19, 2010 03:15

I loved their work on the soundtrack for William Friedkin's great remake of The Wages of Fear, his 1977 film called Sorcerer.

Oddly enough, at the start of this clip they say The Exorcist came out in '74. It was released in late 1973.

While Sorcerer bombed at the box office--it's uber-real grit out of favor during the summer of Star Wars--the soundtrack was later used on trailers for other films, like The Warriors. Hey, whatever works...

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 19, 2010 03:46

A friend of mine saw them in Portland,Oregon in the 70s and said they programmed their synths and left the stage for awhile! Who knows if he was exaggerating, said it was atmospheric, but in the end the most boring concert he ever attended.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 19, 2010 03:56

Lester Bangs wrote a hilarious piece about them, "I Saw God and/or Tangerine Dream" for the Village Voice in '77. It's in his book, Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung. Lester thought it would be fun to get @#$%& up on cough syrup and go see Tangerine Dream with a laser light show, but ended up hallucinating that the audience was made up entirely of "shopping bag ladies".

Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: August 19, 2010 05:34

1. Light a doobie
2. Push play
3. Enjoy

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 19, 2010 05:43

I think they did the soundtrack for the great James Caan movie "Thief"

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 19, 2010 16:32

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-13 03:41 by MILKYWAY.

Date: February 13, 2014 03:41

A friend told me about the 1977 American tour:

Stage bathed in purple light, Laserium bubbling in the background, Mellotrons droning, rows & rows of blinking lights on the sequencers, so incredibly loud, the smell of cannabis smoke in the air.

Awesome.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 13, 2014 04:01

Honestly don't know anything about them except for the soundtrack to the Tom Cruise movie Risky Business.

Yikes, this is an old thread!

Date: February 13, 2014 04:30

latebloomer
Yikes, this is an old thread!

It's a damned-if-you-do-and-damned-if-you-don't scenario. I start a new thread and I get posts in reply with links to old threads with the same or similar content.

But if I bump an old thread .... eye rolling smiley

latebloomer, I have gotten CDs of Tangerine Dream's live shows from the 1970s from Yahoo's fan site. Almost all of them are excellent -- in my humble opinion.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 13, 2014 04:36

Old thread, new thread...it's all good, Milkyway.

I do like the RB soundtrack very much, just not a big fan of that type of music, but it's cool that you like them.

Big snow coming here to Fairfax County...hope your family is well and safe. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-13 04:43 by latebloomer.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 13, 2014 10:06

Tangerine Dream : Ambient-Electronic Music and The Berlin School, check as well : " Klaus Schulze and Michael Hoenig" both from the Berlin School who were active in Tangerine Dream in the past. Michael Hoenig who moved to Los Angeles composed music for Koyaanisqatsi and worked as well with Jack Nitsche. One of his albums "Departure From The Northern Wasteland" is great.

Tangerine Dream is still active and will tour in 2014 and yes there are some vinyls around in my collection.

Tangerine Dream-Phaedra.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 13, 2014 10:10

...what about a Technicolor Yawn ....????

ROCKMAN

Date: February 13, 2014 10:19

Rockman
...what about a Technicolor Yawn ....????

Whatever-I do remember a Mysterious Ambient act as one of the openers for The Stones Live in Rotterdam 1982, still haven't figured out who they were!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-13 10:28 by runaway.

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: February 13, 2014 14:44

yay... Tangerine Dream smiling smiley saw them a few times in the late 70's early 80's... that first time they had "laserium" laser show with them... quite ahead of the game IIRC... good show. Love the Ricochet album, also Morce Majure and Live are good
john

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: February 13, 2014 17:40

They weregood

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 13, 2014 18:05

I thought this was a fokrockband, but this sounds like JP Jarre or Oldfield ... pretty fun though.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 13, 2014 21:38

I prefer this one (although the group is called Kaleidoscope).

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 13, 2014 22:00

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 13, 2014 22:23

Early version of Zeppelin's Tangerine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-13 22:25 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: February 13, 2014 22:38

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: February 13, 2014 23:44

Had one of their albums 'Stratosfear"-- always reminded me of electronic Doors music w/o Morrison's vocals

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 14, 2014 10:38

Song from brilliant sisters in First Aid Kit:

2 1 2 0

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: February 14, 2014 21:09

I have several TD albums: Alpha Centauri, Atem, Phaedra, Stratosfear, Encore, and Force Majeure. I saw them in 1980 when they were still a trio, during a cultural exchange between L.A. and West Berlin. I didn't see them again until 2008, after they had expanded into a larger band. I enjoyed both shows.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: February 14, 2014 23:22

I like the earliest albums from 1970-1971 era ( though there's one called Zeitgeist that was released after that I like).

Re: OT: Tangerine Dream - former member Klaus Schulze died
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 28, 2022 11:20

Another pioneer of electronic music, Klaus Schulze, died on Tuesday evening, 26-Apr-2022. Schulze was 74 years old. Although he had been ill for a long time, his death was nevertheless sudden and unexpected, his son and the record company manager said.

Schulze is considered a co-founder of the "Berlin School", a style of electronic music that is primarily associated with the group Tangerine Dream. Schulze was also a member of Tangerine Dream as a drummer for a short time at the beginning, at the end of the 1960s, but soon left the group to start a solo career.

Schulze was internationally successful, but remained more of an insider tip in Germany. Many major international DJs called him the "Godfather of Techno". Schulze had just finished working on a new album, which was to be released on 10-Jun-2022 under the title "Deus Arrakis".

Schulze's music was characterised by very extended soundscapes and sequences. Schulze, who also worked with other artists such as Arthur Brown, Alphaville and Hans Zimmer, released more than 50 solo albums. He had always remained true to his unmistakable way of creating music, but had always remained open to new, innovative, experimental things, it was said.

Rest in peace, Klaus Schulze - and Thank You for the Music.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 28, 2022 14:36

RIP

Date: April 28, 2022 16:02

RIP Klaus Schulze - Timewind

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2030
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home