Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie Wood - Gimme Some Neck
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 14, 2010 11:42

1. Worry No More
2. Breakin' My Heart
3. Delia
4. Buried Alive
5. Come To Realise
6. Infekshun
7. Seven Days
8. We All Get Old
9. F.U.C. Her 3:15
10. Lost And Lonely
11. Don't Worry

Well my order arrived for a whole bunch of Solo Stones. (Wood/Wyman/Jagger P.Cool)

Thought I'd give a listen to some albums I never really gave much attention to before, and this one is really standing out for me. I'm impressed.

Does anyone else here like this album? What do you think/feel about it?

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: Ronnie Wood - Gimme Some Neck
Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: August 14, 2010 11:47

Yeah, one of the strongest Stones-solo efforts. First time Dylan`s Seven Days was published. But I never really liked the mix/sound of the record, esp. the drums. A remix would be great!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 14, 2010 12:06

Great album, but I agree with the above the mix leaves a lot to be desired

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: August 14, 2010 12:30

I bought that LP yesterday acctually, I love it!
Also, I noticed you had bought Primitive Cool, thats an awsome record too. Groovy stuff smiling smiley

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: August 14, 2010 12:32

Worry no more, Devil comes around, Infekshun, We all get old and Lost and lonely are all great track. I love the album, always have! maybe the mix is a little strange today, but it reflects the way things were done in the 80's. A little like Dirty work.... A very very good album indeed Ronnie!

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 14, 2010 17:00

Woot! I've had the LP since it was first released. I thought it was an impressive showing for Ronnie. Time to get the CD.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 14, 2010 17:41

A lot of eggcellent songs, imo - but the one thing about this album that always bothered me is that all the songs have almost the same beat/sound/etc. Still, I love tracks like Come To Realize, Worry No More, We All Get Old & Buried Alive.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 14, 2010 18:36

GSN is a very solid album, one of Ronnie Wood's best ones, one can listen to it more than thirty years after its release.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 14, 2010 18:37

It's a good souvenir of the New Barbarians tour but not as good a souvenir as the live "Buried Alive" CD.

Posted by: indystone ()
Date: August 14, 2010 18:48

The first of all the solo Stones albums I bought. STILL my favorite!

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 14, 2010 22:19

Dreadful album. I bought it the day it was released. Listened to non-stop for weeks trying to like it. Poor vocals - worse mix - makes your average garage band sound like a symphony orchestra. Ragged moans piled upon ragged moans. To each is own, but if this is sloppy rock 'n' roll, as some of you will swear it is, then I'll pass.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 14, 2010 22:28

Listening to it right now while cleaning the house, full volume to overcome the vacuum cleaner.

Pissing off the neighbors big time!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 14, 2010 22:30

Edith Grove
Listening to it right now while cleaning the house, full volume to overcome the vacuum cleaner.

Pissing off the neighbors big time!

vacuum cleaner wars are the best

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: August 15, 2010 01:08

My first Ronnie solo purchase, so it will always have a special place in my heart. It may be my favorite because of the Mick contributions in backing vocals.
It's like the John Phillips album with the Stones, a Stonesy sounding record with a different singer.
T@3

Date: August 15, 2010 12:59

Good songs, crappy production. Almost unlistenable. I much prefer the New Barbarians' live versions of the same songs.

Posted by: normanplace ()
Date: August 15, 2010 18:51

Great album, horrid mix. Roy Thomas Baker was riding high from Cars and Queen but craps this on up. 1234 is a better production with weaker material ( Ron Wood and Andy Johns produced ).

Still a great record to plug in and play along. We All Get Old is still one of my favorites to play and sing.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 15, 2010 18:55

the production doesn't disturb anything for me. good production can't save a bad record, and bad production can't destroy a good one. it's a good record.

Date: August 15, 2010 21:00

StonesTod
the production doesn't disturb anything for me. good production can't save a bad record, and bad production can't destroy a good one. it's a good record.

When the result is drums sounding like toothpicks and the mix sounds like dripping mud, the production certainly can ruin a good record, imo. But you got a point, it's possible to hear that GSN could have been a good record because of the songwriting and the performance.

Posted by: frivo ()
Date: August 16, 2010 00:25

This is definitely my favourite from Ronnie's solo discography. Love his cover of "Seven Days"!

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: August 16, 2010 00:58

frivo

This is definitely my favourite from Ronnie's solo discography. Love his cover of "Seven Days"!

Yes , and on top of this his live performance of Seven Days at Dylan`s 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration in 1993. I really love this one.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 16, 2010 04:58

Ok yes, the album has some bad production, but having said that it is an incredible disc. Some of Ronnie's best stuff on it. He seems so clear and alive with purpose on GSN. Some great hooks and jams on this one. LOVE IT!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 16, 2010 05:30

I bought the LP when it came out. I was really excited as I knew Ronnie would be touring behind it. I was waylaid with mono in March 1979 and saw the New Barbarians in Oakland the following month and hadn't been out or done anything for a month. I walked out of the show feeling better than I had when I walked in. Now, as to the record itself, I have to agree with the comments regarding the production and mix. Warui! (Not so good!)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1642
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home