Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - 5000 dead birds fall from sky - thousands of dead fish wash up in Arkansas.
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 4, 2011 16:36

This is a weird story. They are blaming stress, fireworks, (but these things happen all the time) are they trying to calm people with uninformed guesses? Now I'm hearing that it is happening in Louisiana.

[Dead Birds fall from sky]

Re: OT - 5000 dead birds fall from sky - thousands of dead fish wash up in Arkansas.
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 4, 2011 16:42

Was this near Fordyce, Arkansas?

Re: OT - 5000 dead birds fall from sky - thousands of dead fish wash up in Arkansas.
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 4, 2011 16:44

The Sicilian
Now I'm hearing that it is happening in Louisiana.

This is the first I'm hearing about the Louisiana part.

Date: January 4, 2011 16:44

Koen
Was this near Fordyce, Arkansas?

Funny!

Date: January 4, 2011 16:46

Here is the link to the dead fish in Arkansas that happened within one day of eachother:

[100,000 dead fish wash up in Arkansas]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 4, 2011 17:05

Nature is crazy. I wake up every morning and say to myself: We did it again. Hello world!

Bjornulf

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 4, 2011 17:07

Edith Grove
The Sicilian
Now I'm hearing that it is happening in Louisiana.

This is the first I'm hearing about the Louisiana part.

The Sicilian may be refers to this :

LABARRE, La. (AP) - State biologists are trying to determine what killed an estimated 500 birds that littered a quarter-mile stretch of highway in Point Coupee Parish.

The birds included red-winged blackbirds and starlings.

Monday's discovery along Louisiana Highway 1 came just three days after more than 3,000 blackbirds fell from the sky in Beebe, Ark. Authorities say examinations showed those birds suffered internal injuries that formed deadly blood clots.

Louisiana state biologists are sending some of the birds found at Labarre to laboratories in Georgia and Wisconsin for testing.

[www.knoe.com]

Information from: The Advocate, [www.2theadvocate.com]

Date: January 4, 2011 17:14

Don't laugh, but I have bird feeders in my yard and since I work outdoors I am always on the lookout for different types of birds and such. I enjoy attracting new birds to the feeders and my 5 year old daughter loves it as well. She can identify just about every bird that visits.

Those red-winged blackbirds and starlings that are down south are spring and summer mainstay up here in the north until they migrate in late summer and fall.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: January 4, 2011 17:18

Authorities now believe fireworks are to blame for the thousands of black birds that litter Arkansas streets and lawns. Game and fish officials think fireworks on New Year's Eve startled the birds from their regular roost-and disoriented and lost-they say the birds probably ran into each other. But residents aren't buying that. Dozens of the birds were dissected Monday at three separate labs-and autopsies show they weren't poisoned-and they didn't suffer from any disease.

[www.wilx.com]

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 4, 2011 17:26

Worlds coming to a end? No Stones Album or tour for 2011? Nothing to live for!! hahah
Anyway Sad news as wildlife have a hard life.

Date: January 4, 2011 17:37

Anyone remember the thread someone posted a couple of years ago about all the bees that were dying or disappearing?

That poster was practically saying the end of times were here, that the world's food supply was in peril because bees weren't pollinating, etc.

Last I heard the food supply is in pretty good shape in most parts of the world and honey is still relatively cheap at the supermarket.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: January 4, 2011 17:40

Global warming.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: January 4, 2011 17:46

They heard about Muddy painting the 'godamm ceiling' and fell from the sky in shock!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 4, 2011 18:23

UFO! Government is hiding it!

Date: January 4, 2011 18:41

Edith Grove
Anyone remember the thread someone posted a couple of years ago about all the bees that were dying or disappearing?

That poster was practically saying the end of times were here, that the world's food supply was in peril because bees weren't pollinating, etc.

Last I heard the food supply is in pretty good shape in most parts of the world and honey is still relatively cheap at the supermarket.

The difference is those events were a gradual ongoing occurance, this was an immediate event that suddenly happened.

Date: January 4, 2011 18:59

The Sicilian
Edith Grove

The difference is those events were a gradual ongoing occurance, this was an immediate event that suddenly happened.

Difference noted, but I'm still willing to bet this can be explained and there won't be much to worry about.

I'm likening this to those occasional fish kills you hear about every once in a while.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 4, 2011 19:14

[www.aolnews.com]

This is getting weird.

Four days after an estimated 4,000-5,000 redwiged-blackbirds fell from the sky in Beebe, Ark., approximately 500 more dead birds were found lying lifeless on a quarter-mile long stretch of highway in Pointe Coupee Parish in Louisiana.

The birds, red-winged blackbirds and starlings, were discovered on Monday, Baton Rouge's The Advocate reported. Biologists will send some of the birds to labs in Georgia and and Wisconsin to conduct autopsies and tests to try and determine the cause of death.

After examining the birds found in Arkansas, state officials concluded that the birds there had died as a result of blunt trauma, possibly caused by flying into buildings after being startled by New Year's firework celebrations.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: January 4, 2011 19:18

Edith Grove

Here's a bee update from yesterday. Doesn't sound good.

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Date: January 4, 2011 19:47

SwayStones
[www.aolnews.com]

This is getting weird.

Four days after an estimated 4,000-5,000 redwiged-blackbirds fell from the sky in Beebe, Ark., approximately 500 more dead birds were found lying lifeless on a quarter-mile long stretch of highway in Pointe Coupee Parish in Louisiana.

The birds, red-winged blackbirds and starlings, were discovered on Monday, Baton Rouge's The Advocate reported. Biologists will send some of the birds to labs in Georgia and and Wisconsin to conduct autopsies and tests to try and determine the cause of death.

After examining the birds found in Arkansas, state officials concluded that the birds there had died as a result of blunt trauma, possibly caused by flying into buildings after being startled by New Year's firework celebrations.

Pointe Coupee Parish is nowhere near Arkansas, so only judging from the fact that the same species of birds are dying hundreds of miles apart, and no chemicals have been found so far, I'd say these birds have some kind of disease.

Date: January 4, 2011 19:54

fiftyamp
Here's a bee update from yesterday. Doesn't sound good.

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Thanks, 50A.

I'd like to hear more about this from other sources.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: January 4, 2011 22:32

Heard this on NPR on my drive in to work, Edith.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 4, 2011 22:54

The Australian ............................... 5 January 2011

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 4, 2011 23:26

They truly have to quit smokin at that area...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 4, 2011 23:47

It's the end of dayseye popping smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 5, 2011 00:07

i can't help but think of rachel carson's book "silent spring" referring to killing off all the birds with pesticides in the 70s (and the first book on "environmentalism")

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 5, 2011 04:25

This reminds me of the ending of Magnolia when all the frogs fall from the sky. They say that has actually happened before.

Date: January 5, 2011 04:39

Fireworks? Really??? What happens on the 4th of July dwarfs IMMENSELY whatever fireworks may have gone off on this occasion.

I can't accept that reasoning even if it was a possibility. Birds were falling in areas where there were no buildings or fireworks.

I have had conversations with others who believe that possibly a military experiment using targeted frequency tones from satellites or even other devices seems more probable than a fireworks theory.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 5, 2011 04:50

The Sicilian
Fireworks? Really??? What happens on the 4th of July dwarfs IMMENSELY whatever fireworks may have gone off on this occasion.

I can't accept that reasoning even if it was a possibility. Birds were falling in areas where there were no buildings or fireworks.

I have had conversations with others who believe that possibly a military experiment using targeted frequency tones from satellites or even other devices seems more probable than a fireworks theory.
Yeah,but on the 4th of July the birds are usually up north and not in that area.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: January 5, 2011 05:42

sweetcharmedlife
The Sicilian

Yeah,but on the 4th of July the birds are usually up north and not in that area.

Your right about that. But even more fireworks in the dense urban areas.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 5, 2011 06:08

fireworks have been banned in some communities regardless of the date because of the negative effect it has on dogs....many jump fences to escape and become lost.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1699
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home