Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Would You Go To See The NEW Rolling Stones?
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 11, 2010 12:46

The Stones touring has been brought up and w/ that warhorses and everything that can possibly be discussed related to it.

I'd like to throw out something new that would never happen just for fun.

Say Mick & Keith wrote a whole double albums worth of new songs and decided to perform them on a new tour. No hits, no classics. just the new tracks.

Would you go? I would love to see it!

Maybe if they played more if not all songs off their current albums during tour time maybe they would sell more?

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: Would You Go To See The NEW Rolling Stones?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 11, 2010 13:06

Im sure we'd all be there...not sure many other folks would be though.

Just us and Stones in a small theatre. We can always dream ;^)

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 11, 2010 13:16

I'm always dreaming these days!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Date: August 11, 2010 14:05

Of course I would! Sounds like a wet dream only, though smiling smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 11, 2010 14:27

would be as in Heaven !!
jeroen

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 11, 2010 15:24

Marhsall
The Stones touring has been brought up and w/ that warhorses and everything that can possibly be discussed related to it.

I'd like to throw out something new that would never happen just for fun.

Say Mick & Keith wrote a whole double albums worth of new songs and decided to perform them on a new tour. No hits, no classics. just the new tracks.

Would you go? I would love to see it!

Maybe if they played more if not all songs off their current albums during tour time maybe they would sell more?

I'd be MORE tempted to go than usual, to be honest.

Not exactly unprecedented for a major established act to tour behind exclusively or almost exclusively new material that hasnt been played live before. Neil Young, Dylan, Prince, Lou Reed, Springsteen, Bowie etc have all done something similar where theyve either played just new stuff and/or more or less ignored their 'warhorses'.

40% of the band's back catalogue has never been played live. Musically, theres absolutely nothing to stop them releasing a new album and touring behind it playing only songs that have never been performed before in concert. Nice concept, although theyd never do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-11 15:27 by Gazza.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 11, 2010 15:46

I guess I would - if the album is good (which is likely given their track record ;-)

My first Stones single was "Highwire" anyway and I've always thought that the current era Stones are more my cup of tea. But I'm a "late-borner" so what else would you expect?

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: August 11, 2010 15:51

Yep.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 11, 2010 16:27

This would be more thrilling than another warhorse tour, but it will not happen.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 11, 2010 16:46

The Stones live have become more of a horns, keyboard & backup singing band, i.e. most of the heart of the songs don't belong to the original members anymore. I've said many times in the past (and even skipped the last 2 tours completely), I'll never go see them again unless they go back to the 5 guys (ok, let Bobby Keyes in too) which it is apparent they will never do.

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: August 11, 2010 17:09

YES

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 11, 2010 18:03

LeonidP
The Stones live have become more of a horns, keyboard & backup singing band, i.e. most of the heart of the songs don't belong to the original members anymore. I've said many times in the past (and even skipped the last 2 tours completely), I'll never go see them again unless they go back to the 5 guys (ok, let Bobby Keyes in too) which it is apparent they will never do.

yep. and it has EVERYTHING to do with the demise of ron and keith. just look at the cover songs they did on the last two tours - almost no need for any guitar work on them. not that i didn't enjoy some of these tunes, but it used to be that songs were fueled thru the dual geetars...no more.

as to the idea of them playing nothing but new material...well, cute notion. but, not only is that an implausible fantasy, but its sorta like trying to comptemplate infinity or the size of the universe - i.e., it hurts the brain.

Date: August 11, 2010 18:28

StonesTod
LeonidP

yep. and it has EVERYTHING to do with the demise of ron and keith.

Actually I believe it's really just the demise of Keith. I really don't believe he can play much anymore - maybe it's arthritis or mental, i don't know, but I think it also explains why there hasn't been a solo keith album in a long time. Ronnie still seems fine to me.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 11, 2010 18:35

LeonidP
StonesTod
LeonidP

Actually I believe it's really just the demise of Keith. I really don't believe he can play much anymore - maybe it's arthritis or mental, i don't know, but I think it also explains why there hasn't been a solo keith album in a long time. Ronnie still seems fine to me.

ok, but having "ronnie" and "fine" in the same sentence seems like a stretch....

Date: August 11, 2010 18:40

StonesTod
LeonidP
StonesTod
LeonidP

ok, but having "ronnie" and "fine" in the same sentence seems like a stretch....

LOL! I am sure many feel that way. I happen to love Ronnie and love his solo albums! And I think he's an eggcellent guitar player.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 11, 2010 18:49

I still want to hear Midnight Rambler, JJF, A new soul song for the new tour. So I still like the old Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-11 18:50 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: August 12, 2010 00:39

I suppose like many of us.. I've always thought it would've been a good idea for the band to put more emphasis on their more recent material..say drawing a line around the early to mid-eighties and only performing songs recorded after then - maybe even pulling in the occasional solo song.Thus abandoning most of the old (tired) warhorses - IMO there are enough good recent-songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-12 00:40 by rumple21.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: August 12, 2010 03:48

HELL NO!

Even if the album didn't suck, I couldn't afford a ticket. (And I'm sorry, anything's possible, and for y'all's sake I wish that last miracle album would happen, but I just believe that well has run dry).

I was born too late to see them from the 60's to 81. I was only 12 during the 81 tour. I know others saw them at that age, but I was too young to even think about going, and haven't cared to from 89 onwards. I'm not into huge arena/stadium shows, and getting into a theater show is such a longshot, I doubt I'd ever bother, even if I lived somewhere they played.

I accepted long ago the fact that I'll never see them.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 12, 2010 04:01

The Stones are hardly a "horn, b.v., Keyboards" band. The horns are mostly used appropriatly, hardly for the entire show, as the Stones' rock & roll is so drenched in soul/r&b, as has been the case (aside from '75 & '78) since 1970. Leavell was less obtrusive last tour than on Licks or Babylon...And they do against all odds perform inspired versions of many of the 'warhorses'...Yeah I recall Prince's Musicology tour when he played one new song. Or maybe you find Neil's Greendale live a cathartic experience. Until the past (fifth) decade the Stones always emphasized whatever new album they were touring behind. I go to shows wanting to feel the spirit, be transported, inspired, and mostly the Stones still deliver. Ron & Keith were very good at the US ABB shows I attended, but I agree they should have kept up a minimum 4 new songs, plus covers. And yes I'd trade 2 or 3 big hits (Honky Tonk and IORR) for 'Baby Break it Down, Out of Control, How Can I Stop, Blinded by Rainbows, etc...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 12, 2010 04:43

... I'd wait until I heard the album first. If it was good, absolutely!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: August 12, 2010 06:22

I think they would start a tour like that sying they wold only play the new material and then abandon hte ides like they did with Bigger Bang. After a while they trashed most of those songs and just went back to the Warhorses

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: August 12, 2010 06:33

Of course I'd go providing I can get someone to buy me a ticket.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 12, 2010 07:12

Would love to see them do something like this, but unfortunately the masses would never go for it.

On an old episode of The Simpsons, Bachman-Turner Overdrive was playing the Springfield County Fair...

Randy Bachman:
Hey folks, how's it goin'? Okay, we'll play all of your old favorites in just a bit. But first, here's one off our new album...

Homer Simpson:
Ok, that's it! No talking, no new crap. Taking Care of Business right now!

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: August 12, 2010 07:48

Jah Paul
Would love to see them do something like this, but unfortunately the masses would never go for it.

On an old episode of The Simpsons, Bachman-Turner Overdrive was playing the Springfield County Fair...

Randy Bachman:
Hey folks, how's it goin'? Okay, we'll play all of your old favorites in just a bit. But first, here's one off our new album...

Homer Simpson:
Ok, that's it! No talking, no new crap. Taking Care of Business right now!

Haha! Once again, the infinite wisdom of Homer Simpson cuts through the crap and gets straight to the heart of the matter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home