Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Black Limousine on Tattoo You
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: August 11, 2010 03:48

This is one of my favorites on Tattoo You. I love the interplay between Keith and Ronnie, Mick's singing, the harp playing by Mick, the slow funky style, and pretty much everything about it. This is a live version and is fine but the studio version is perfect.

Taylor was a great guitar player but rarely have I heard such chemistry between Keith and Ronnie. When you can't tell who is playing, then the Stones are cooking. I am surprised no one has mentioned this song. I would love to hear it at the next concert, maybe on the B-Stage.

Re: Black Limousine on Tattoo You
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 11, 2010 04:00

one of the best latter-day blues tracks written by the Stones!
and it's Ronnies. :-)

I had to check, indeed Mick played harp on it. I thought it was Sugar Blue.

it worked great live and you need to check out Ronnie solo version.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: August 11, 2010 06:12

Hats off to Ronnie not just for his weaving but his authorship as well.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 11, 2010 06:17

My fave version is the rock 'n rollified one from Four Flicks.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 11, 2010 06:32

On four flicks?
Which disc?

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 11, 2010 06:40

i like the album version best - and always loved the Hampton '81 too, but still studio version kicks balls

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: August 11, 2010 06:45

I thought Ronnie played harp on Black Limousine. Whoever played it, the harp playing on that song is TERRIBLE, some of the most inept harp playing ever released on a major label record! All high-end squeaks for no apparent purpose.

As a harp player of 37 years, I hear the harp playing on Black Limousine and think that it's no wonder people think a harmonica is a glorified kazoo. Urgh!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 11, 2010 06:47

Marhsall
On four flicks?
Which disc?

Disc 12. Don't you have the DeLuxe version? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I was thinking about Neighbours.
Fave version of Black Limo would be the b-side from Stripped.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: August 11, 2010 06:48

baxlap
I thought Ronnie played harp on Black Limousine. Whoever played it, the harp playing on that song is TERRIBLE, some of the most inept harp playing ever released on a major label record! All high-end squeaks for no apparent purpose.

As a harp player of 37 years, I hear the harp playing on Black Limousine and think that it's no wonder people think a harmonica is a glorified kazoo. Urgh!

whereas i think it's brilliant - fits the vibe of the song perfectly, imo. and assuming it's mick, you realize he's considered to be an expert harp player, stated by many musicians over time.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 11, 2010 06:54

Damn deluxe versions!!! lol
Yeah, Agree Neighbors does catch a fire!

Black Limo is outstanding track!

How far does the track go back..didn't Mick write it about Marianne?

I still think they can write very top notch blues songs...

Black Limo

Down in the Hole

The Storm

Back of My Hand

Fancyman Blues

and those are "recent" ones!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Date: August 11, 2010 07:00

There's no way that's Jagger on the harmonica on Black Limosine. That harp line sounds exactly like Wood's atrocious harp playing on the New Barbarians tour (I forget which song off the top of my head).

Date: August 11, 2010 07:06

baxlap
There's no way that's Jagger on the harmonica on Black Limosine. That harp line sounds exactly like Wood's atrocious harp playing on the New Barbarians tour (I forget which song off the top of my head).

The official site lists it as Mick:
[www.rollingstones.com]

Date: August 11, 2010 07:18

LeonidP
baxlap

The official site lists it as Mick:
[www.rollingstones.com]

That may explain why no one receives no instrumental credits on the actual album packaging. winking smiley Then again, given the shoddy, inaccurate instrumental credits on the recent Exile, there's no reason to believe that any of the credits on the official website are entirely accurate. Some secretary must have typed in Jagger's name as the harp player by default because he/she/them/it didn't realize that any other living member of the Stones had ever played one.

I'm telling ya: check out the New Barbarians 5/5/79 show from Landover/Largo, MD and tell me Ron's harp playing on Love in Vain or whatever song it was doesn't sound like it's the same person who's playing on Black Limousine. It doesn't sound like any harp line that Jagger ever played. He had become far too good a harp player to be wallowing in that shite in 1979-80.

I'm certain that when the album first came out, I read in interview that Ronnie played harp on Black Limousine (which may explain why Jagger didn't play harp on it when they played it live in '81 and '82).

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 11, 2010 07:30

all due respect to a player, baxlap, but I like the harmonica on this cut--the high pitch brings out the ghostliness of the lyrics. That and all the reverb (which may have been added to cover up weaknesses in the playing, but it's effective). The lyrics to this songs are actually pretty dark.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-11 07:31 by cc.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 11, 2010 09:15

Great blues tune, perfect guitar work, Stones at their best!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 11, 2010 09:43

Seattle, right?

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 11, 2010 11:58

Everything is great about this track - except the harmonica.
I agree with baxlap that is sounds terrible, I always thought is was Ronnie too.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 11, 2010 12:02

baxlap sorry but I also disagree. I am a harp player and love Mick's harp on BL! Simple, yet stylish and the high end fits well. I don't think it sound like Ronnie at all, but classic Mick high notes. More folk style that is a nice mix with the blues. Sounds good to me!

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: August 11, 2010 12:32

The lyrics are quite obviously about Mick and Bianca ...

I love that track, also the live versions I know. It's the Stones on their own field, rhythm and blues as hot and cooking as can be!

Posted by: bigpond ()
Date: August 11, 2010 12:42

Agree with ya flimflam, a great tune. I think it would work well live on the next tour too....maybe with a legendary blues guest to extend the guitar parts. Any suggestions folks?

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: August 11, 2010 13:24

baxlap

No respect for Sugar Blue ? I think his playing is great and very original , much more interesting than typical so-called blues playing.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 11, 2010 13:25

yeah, but after all it's not him.
and Ronnie's a good harp player ;-)

Date: August 11, 2010 14:02

Bad harp playing on Black Limousine?? IMO, it suits the song brilliantly. And it sure sounds like Mick playing. He has used than thin harp sound on other songs as well, Feel On Baby comes to mind.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: August 11, 2010 14:23

Black Limousine is an amazing song. Really wonderful.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 11, 2010 20:02

I always get the chills when I hear mick shout, "those dreams is gone, baby... they're LOCKED AWAY!! and never seeeeeeen."

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 11, 2010 20:04

LeonidP
baxlap

whereas i think it's brilliant - fits the vibe of the song perfectly, imo. and assuming it's mick, you realize he's considered to be an expert harp player, stated by many musicians over time.

he's a decent harp player - nothing more or less. and it's clearly him on limo, aping jimmy reed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-11 20:05 by StonesTod.

Date: August 11, 2010 20:48

StonesTod
LeonidP
baxlap

he's a decent harp player - nothing more or less. and it's clearly him on limo, aping jimmy reed

Perhaps ... I don't know enough to judge between harp players, but by stating that he's 'considered to be an expert harp player' I was talking about how he's judged by his peers.

For example:

[www.timeisonourside.com]

"He's one of the best harp players in the world. "

- Keith Richards, 2009

And I know I've read similar comments from a famous blues musician (can't remember if it was BB King, Bo Diddley or someone else, but it was in reference to Mick appearing on that particular artist's album) that stated that Mick plays harp as well as anyone.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 11, 2010 20:51

well, he's not any world-class blues harp player - that's just folks being kind. brian jones was a much better player than mick. mick is serviceable within the context of what the stones do - much like his band-mates. that's not a criticism, either...and, it really applies to all the stones....

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: August 11, 2010 20:52

Marhsall
Damn deluxe versions!!! lol
Yeah, Agree Neighbors does catch a fire!

Black Limo is outstanding track!

How far does the track go back..didn't Mick write it about Marianne?

I still think they can write very top notch blues songs...

Black Limo

Down in the Hole

The Storm

Back of My Hand

Fancyman Blues

and those are "recent" ones!

And now you can add I'm Not Signifying to the list!cool smiley

Posted by: Bitch2 ()
Date: August 11, 2010 21:02

Black Limo is a dreadfull copy of Muddy Waters, Now, look what you done, that was copied by Stones in the 60's as well...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2100
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home