Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Grateful Dead: Where do I start?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 12, 2010 19:09

i would also add 1979 brent mydland's first year with gd tickling the ivories there is a great dick's pick (complete show)i wanna say it's like 12/79 it's either sf/or oakland and it's killer.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: August 12, 2010 19:09

StonesTod
deadegad
jeff14
5/8/77
One of the crown jewels of Grateful Dead bootlegs...

Some believe that 1977 was the their peak,or, the year of their best playing, their most consistent quality of playing. The concert at Cornell University's Barton Hall on 5/8/77 is regarded as one of the best shows or the best from 1977.

It is a well played show.

cos those were the best three live years for our beloved stones.

Yeah the Stones were 'The Bomb!" then, but, this could start the sharks here into a feeding frenzy.

You want to see 'Shark Week" on TV? A MTaylor thread is even bloodier here at IORR.

Let the games begin! There's blood in the water.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 13, 2010 04:54

I would start with Europe 72.

(I saw them only once in 1981, and hated it. Hated the crowd, the band was out of tune and trying to jam, totally disjointed....almost as bad as Dylan live in the late 70s...both disappointing)

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: August 14, 2010 23:03

buffalo7478
I would start with Europe 72.

(I saw them only once in 1981, and hated it. Hated the crowd, the band was out of tune and trying to jam, totally disjointed....almost as bad as Dylan live in the late 70s...both disappointing)

I was a big Dead fan in the early to mid-70's, but skipped 'em between fall '79 and summer '86 after seeing a bad Dead show at the Capital Centre in Maryland. When the new keyboard player is the best musician on the stage, you know that night is doomed.

Then again, it may have been that I was seeing all these other great shows (the Who, the Clash and the Kinks over three weekends in September '79 and another Who show in December after the stampede), and the Dead just paled by comparison.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 15, 2010 07:02

Other than their vocals, their lyrics, and their instrumentation, they're a fine group.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 15, 2010 08:19

24FPS
Other than their vocals, their lyrics, and their instrumentation, they're a fine group.
Says the idiot who has 6 posts in 2 days.....Run along child. Go post on the Justin Bieber board.In fact, go after the person that did this to your hero.

Date: August 15, 2010 08:26

Ah, my first insult from a blogger, the bravest people on earth. I've probably seen and heard more music than you'll ever hear, child.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 15, 2010 09:05

24FPS

I pretty much agree....I enjoyed the dead culture, was amused by their ways, but the music was pretty boring.

Date: August 15, 2010 09:15

I know these two guys who keep pushing the Dead on me, knowing I don't like them. The sad thing is, the more I hear, the less I like. They played me some covers, 'Good Lovin'' was one, and I nearly upchucked. The Stones could take a cover and make it theirs. The Grateful Dead sound like that garage band down the street you hope doesn't play at the party you're going to Friday night.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: August 15, 2010 09:30

24FPS
I know these two guys who keep pushing the Dead on me, knowing I don't like them. The sad thing is, the more I hear, the less I like. They played me some covers, 'Good Lovin'' was one, and I nearly upchucked. The Stones could take a cover and make it theirs. The Grateful Dead sound like that garage band down the street you hope doesn't play at the party you're going to Friday night.

They were/are musically superior to The Stones, as much as love them, except for perhaps Mick Taylor who is the better guitar player among all in question.

Date: August 15, 2010 10:00

Must be my ears then. I wish I could enjoy out of tune, sour milk vocals, straining for something I can't fathom. My Deadhead friends even played me some disco sounding Grateful Dead material from the 70s. Wow. That's a new low.

Roll away, roll away the dew..................

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 15, 2010 11:26

24FPS

thumbs up

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: August 15, 2010 13:11

24FPS

I agree. No one butchers a cover like the Dead. Even though I've made cracks in this thread about them, I actually like a fair amount of their material, and have always envied the way they built up a whole community around them. But I have never heard a cover song by them I could stomach.

You can't tell a fan of theirs though, they are not objective enough to take any criticism of the Dead's music, buts songs like Good Lovin' are just mediocre and bland attempts compared to the originals. And their covers of Chuck Berry are just the worst.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: August 16, 2010 19:53

Don't do it!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1316
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home