Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Track Talk: Get Off Of My Cloud
Posted by: René ()
Date: August 9, 2010 09:54

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Get Off Of My Cloud
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

RCA Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US, September 5, 1965

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, backing vocals, handclaps
Keith Richards - electric guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Brian Jones - electric guitar
Ian Stewart - piano

Yeah, I live on an apartment on the ninety-ninth floor of my block
And I sit at home looking out the window imagining the world has stopped
Then in flies a guy who's all dressed up like a Union Jack
And says: I've won five pounds if I have this kind of detergent pack

I said: Hey, you, get off of my cloud
Hey, you, get off of my cloud, hey, you, get off of my cloud
Don't hang around 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby

Yeah, the telephone is ringing, I say: Hi, it's me, who is there on the line?
A voice says: Hi, hello, how are you, well, I guess I'm doin' fine
He says: It's three a.m., there's too much noise, don't you people ever wanna go to bed
Just 'cause you feel so good, do you have to drive me out of my head?

Don't hang around 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby

Yeah, I was sick and tired, fed up with this and decided to take a drive downtown
It was so very quiet and peaceful, there was nobody, not a soul around
I laid myself out, I was so tired and I started to dream
In the morning the parking tickets were just like flags stuck on my windscreen

Don't hang around 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud

Hey, you, get off of my cloud
Don't hang around baby, two's a crowd on my cloud

Produced by Andrew Loog Oldham

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Get Off Of My Cloud / I’m Free” 7” single
(London 9792) US, September 25, 1965

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-21 14:16 by René.

Re: Track Talk: Get Off Of My Cloud
Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: August 9, 2010 13:08

I love it! It's one of my favorite songs. This song just has so much energy, it's amazing. This is a true gem!

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 9, 2010 13:19

I.M.O. More inventive and great sounding track than the Beatles ever did!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: August 9, 2010 13:33

Freebird's comments there are exactly what I would say - ana amzing track; great manic energy, a gem indeed!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 9, 2010 13:36

Great exhilarating track. So full of energy and defiance. Part II of Satisfaction with the rejection of materialistic driven advertising. Great dense song where the instruments seem to be fighting to be heard, and Jagger bravely singing with such speed and attitude. LOVE IT! I especially like the medley on Love You Live, so funky!

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 9, 2010 14:06

The original studio cut is absolutely amazing!
Superb garage-punk sound and feel...grinning smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 9, 2010 15:00

Are you sure you've got the correct lyrics?

confused smiley

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 9, 2010 15:11

Classic Japanese import lyrics! "Made in Japan" indeed.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: August 9, 2010 15:42

Deltics
Are you sure you've got the correct lyrics?

confused smiley

Love these lyrics--how many of us in the pre-internet days (lamenting the fact the Stones never inlcuded lyrics with their albums) later found our how wrong we really were with some of our phonetically correct lines??

Are there any more simliar "official" lyrics floating around that anyone is aware of?

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 9, 2010 16:11

My drag was stuck on my little tree

Wow, even nowadays Mick would not dare to come up with lyrics like that!

I like to consider this song one of a trilogy, starting with Satisfaction and continued
with 19th Nervous Breakdown. A nice comment on the 1960s lifestyle.
To me this trilogy (I would even use the word trinity) captures the FIRST golden era of
our boys.

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: August 9, 2010 16:27

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 9, 2010 17:16

my earliest favorite Stones song... as a young lad, I went crazy for charlie's drumming.

Date: August 9, 2010 17:19

marcovandereijk

I like to consider this song one of a trilogy, starting with Satisfaction and continued
with 19th Nervous Breakdown. A nice comment on the 1960s lifestyle.
To me this trilogy (I would even use the word trinity) captures the FIRST golden era of
our boys.

interesting thought--but why skip over "Mother's Little Helper"?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 9, 2010 18:22

This song really is just rock'n'roll at its finest. It's too bad they've ignored this tune - it's one of their best songs.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: August 9, 2010 19:29

Great song. The stereo (studio) version is interesting as the two guitars become separated...rough rhythm guitar and that thin repeated lead line. Only knowing the mono version all these years I have always wondered what the high-pitched notes were, almost bell-like or a little like a harmonica or something. Only in stereo (or "true stereo") do you realise it's a guitar.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 9, 2010 19:50

A great, dark, rebellious song (foreshadowing punk).

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: August 9, 2010 20:15

This is one of a few songs where the drummer can play the drum riff
and everyone knows what song it is.

I don't think anyone else has ever used this drum riff in another song

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: August 9, 2010 20:16

one of my faves....total rebellious vibe and one of the greatest Jagger vocal perfomances imo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-09 20:17 by Rollin' Stoner.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: August 9, 2010 20:25

Legend has it that the guy 'All dressed up just like a Union Jack' was Screaming Lord Sutch, who showed up uninvited in Jagger's room.

(speaking of Lord Sutch, I just got his 1970 album '& Heavy Friends' which Jimmy Page produced and plays on...interesting album)

Date: August 9, 2010 20:43

WeLoveYou
Great song. The stereo (studio) version is interesting as the two guitars become separated...rough rhythm guitar and that thin repeated lead line. Only knowing the mono version all these years I have always wondered what the high-pitched notes were, almost bell-like or a little like a harmonica or something. Only in stereo (or "true stereo") do you realise it's a guitar.

yeah, but it's too bad that the stereo version has become standard on radio, etc.--or at least it was for years when the first wave of CDs were produced. It's tracks like this that make you understand why mono is preferable for most '60s material. The track just sounds weaker with the guitars isolated.

Date: August 9, 2010 20:45

marvpeck
This is one of a few songs where the drummer can play the drum riff
and everyone knows what song it is.

I don't think anyone else has ever used this drum riff in another song

true, but I'd guess it's lifted from some soul number--anyone know? To be added to the conspiracy theorists' list of songs that "prove" jagger-richards have no talent of their own...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 9, 2010 21:09

WeLoveYou

Listen to the track I posted on the Tracking Cookie - live in Honolulu, 1966, and that lead guitar line stands out a mile. Brian?

Posted by: brandanman2 ()
Date: August 9, 2010 22:07

Do I like this song? Hm, let me think about it. Yes!!!!!!! I love this song (always have, always will), definitely one of the best, too bad some people have not even heard of it, even some Stones fans, too! It is a shame. It is a classic, and in my opinion, I might get bashed for it, it even surpasses "Satisfaction", not that I do not love that song, but "Cloud", yes definitely better, it just is.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: August 9, 2010 22:25

Absolutely great groove. One part Wilson Pickett and one part the Stones going completely off on their own thing. It's almost amazing how much strut this song has given that Charlie ends every second bar with that snare drum line. How does he pull that off??? It probably helps being f-ing great; marv peck is right, it's one of the most distinctive and definitive drum parts on a pop song ever.

I remember reading an interview with Mick, done around 1969 or so, in which he was asked if the Stones felt any pressure to 'equal' 'Satisfaction' when they wrote and recorded this song. As I recall Mick replied with a statement like "We didn't feel any pressure because we didn't give a f**k.'

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: August 9, 2010 22:45

Green Lady
WeLoveYou

Listen to the track I posted on the Tracking Cookie - live in Honolulu, 1966, and that lead guitar line stands out a mile. Brian?

That's Brian on lead. The official 1965 video for this track clearly shows Brian playing the lick.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: August 9, 2010 22:54

Cloud is a great song- fantastic guitars, drumming, beat, energy. It was riff-driven songs like this that helped distinguish the Stones and propel them to superstardom. 1963-1967 was the Golden era for me.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: August 10, 2010 00:03

love both stereo and mono versions

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: August 10, 2010 00:11

Hello,

@#$%& great song...but I think you knew that anyway,hah-hah!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: August 10, 2010 00:24

Found some interesting quotes about it on Wikipedia (I was trying to find out what guitars were used on the recording, but no luck):

"On the song, Richards said in 1971, "I never dug it as a record. The chorus was a nice idea, but we rushed it as the follow-up. We were in L.A., and it was time for another single. But how do you follow-up "Satisfaction"? Actually, what I wanted was to do it slow like a Lee Dorsey thing. We rocked it up. I thought it was one of Andrew Loog Oldham's worst productions."

In a 1995 interview with Rolling Stone, Jagger said, "That was Keith's melody and my lyrics... It's a stop-bugging-me, post-teenage-alienation song. The grown-up world was a very ordered society in the early '60s, and I was coming out of it. America was even more ordered than anywhere else. I found it was a very restrictive society in thought and behavior and dress."

In the 2003 book According to... The Rolling Stones, Richards says: "'Get off of My Cloud' was basically a response to people knocking on our door asking us for the follow up to 'Satisfaction'... We thought, 'At last. We can sit back and maybe think about events.' Suddenly there's the knock at the door and of course what came out of that was 'Get off of My Cloud'."

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 10, 2010 04:01

cc

yeah, but it's too bad that the stereo version has become standard on radio, etc.--or at least it was for years when the first wave of CDs were produced. It's tracks like this that make you understand why mono is preferable for most '60s material. The track just sounds weaker with the guitars isolated.

Couldn't agree more. I think the same is true for Mother's Little Helper. On the remastered UK version of aftermath the guitar hook for this song is seperated way too much from the rest of the song. Its too clean sounding and takes so much out of it IMO. Ive brought this up before on this board and was told that that's how it sounded back in the 60's on the origional UK edition of aftermath. Its not like that on Flowers, that's for sure.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home