Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing In The Shadow?
Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: August 6, 2010 23:50

HYSYMBSITS?

not one of my favorites.

Posted by: doster ()
Date: August 6, 2010 23:53

As I remember it, this was the first single of the era not to chart #1 in America and it was a big deal at the time.
The end of the Stones many thought, I guess that might of been a little bit of an overreaction.

Date: August 6, 2010 23:57

Start of the gimmicky era of the Rolling Stones . . capped off by Satanic Majesties.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 6, 2010 23:59

cc wrote:
"what is "now" with respect to the Stones? do you mean on the mythical next tour? or since 1969?"

2007, for example, or mebbe since 1969.

Date: August 7, 2010 00:03

I always thought Who's Driving Your Plane? was a rip-off of Bob Dylan's Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.

Date: August 7, 2010 02:52

wordnat
I just heard the alternate mix of HYSYMBSITS for the first time about a month ago and it KILLS the released version! Didn't Keith say that the released version was some sort of mistake...? I couldn't agree more -- the alternate mix turns a muddy mess into a brilliant, um, mess. LOVE IT!

you are talking about the version that starts with just vocals right?

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: August 7, 2010 08:04

wordnat
I just heard the alternate mix of HYSYMBSITS for the first time about a month ago and it KILLS the released version! Didn't Keith say that the released version was some sort of mistake...? I couldn't agree more -- the alternate mix turns a muddy mess into a brilliant, um, mess. LOVE IT!

Alternate ... as in the stereo mix?? I've heard a stereo mix of it, and it's 'cleaner' per se than the released version. Brian's harp is more audible, plus there's guitar licks from Keith that I hadn't heard before hearing this version.

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Date: August 7, 2010 08:47

MissNBrian
wordnat

Alternate ... as in the stereo mix?? I've heard a stereo mix of it, and it's 'cleaner' per se than the released version. Brian's harp is more audible, plus there's guitar licks from Keith that I hadn't heard before hearing this version.

this is the version i am talking about and i'm sure its the version mentioned that kills the original release

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 8, 2010 01:43

>I can think of one longer Stones song title (though it was abbreviated in the U.S.) -- anyone else?

No takers I see. Longer title by one word:

"Now I've Got A Witness (Like Uncle Gene And Uncle Phil)"

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 8, 2010 01:57

keefriffhard4life
this is the version i am talking about and i'm sure its the version mentioned that kills the original release

Great version for us Stones fans but commercially it will flop, I missed the wall of sound ...which they probably try to accomplished back then

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: August 8, 2010 07:41

keefriffhard4life
MissNBrian
wordnat

omg it sure the heck does!!! I've never heard this version before. Thanx Keef for posting this!!
-----------------------------------------

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 8, 2010 12:03

Thanks for the alternate version that to my ears sounds like a demo actually. Yeah, you can hear little details better there but I think it also shows that the song actually is quite a weak one to begin with. So, the idea of bringing the wall sound and other tricks is perhaps done to cover the lack of substance.

The best version actually is the live version from GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! Not any tricks needed there: just a high energy level!

- Doxa

Date: August 8, 2010 12:44

it may be a demo. the cd i have says alternate earlier take but i wouldn't bet money that its just that

Date: August 8, 2010 12:45

MissNBrian
keefriffhard4life
MissNBrian
wordnat

omg it sure the heck does!!! I've never heard this version before. Thanx Keef for posting this!!
-----------------------------------------

welcome

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 8, 2010 13:17

Here is what I say is the definitive version of the song (The GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! live version). How you ever heard The Rolling Stones more fresh, energetic, and vital as they are here (The television show appearance is a treasure - Keith's nazi jacket, etc.). I would say this clip captures the essential 60's Rolling Stones:

Here is the old dog is trying show he is still vital...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-08 13:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: August 25, 2010 19:27

'Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing In The Shadow?', is a classic example of why the Stones were so great in the 60s, although it isn't maybe the Stones most memorable single in terms of song quality. I love the fact that the original 45 sounds like it was recorded on a cassette recorder, despite the fact there are rumours that the wrong mix was used, also i love the use of the brass. I actually don't like the alternative version nearly as much. Also the Jagger solo version is actually a rather slick offering by comparison which may seem impressive in terms of vitality on a first listen, but actually rings very hollow thereafter. Perhaps his backing band may also be part of the problem, in addition to Jagger overdoing the need to appear vibrant.

I think the Stones in 66 were really at an almighty peak, certainly in terms of the diversity that is evident within their sound, even if they could still occasonally lack consistency where song quality was concerned. I think the greatness of Aftermath is perhaps the Stones most significant early album peak (following on from their first very impressive self titled album), especially in terms of the album's breath and range, and the fact that it was Mick and Keith's first completely self penned effort. They lost a little of their self assurance perhaps with Between The Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request, where maybe they were indulging in styles that did not come so naturally to them, but again those albums contain so many wonderful, and now largely forgotten treasures. However, it is Aftermath which contains their most sustained and impressive and focused early work. It also includes a great deal of social commentary within its lyrics, which pretty much marks Aftermath as very much reflecting the times in which it was recorded.

Maybe it was the case that with 'Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing In The Shadow?' the Stones sounded a little too hasty and contrived in their desire to keep progressing and advancing their sound (and perhaps their message), and really the song was the last of their mid sixties rock 'n' roll anthems, as they were in danger of burning themselves out. Of course, after a brief interlude ('Let's Spend The Night Together'/ 'Ruby Tuesday' and 'We Love You') they would be back fully revitalised (with 'Jumping Jack Flash'), but for a brief time 'Have You Seen Your Mother Baby' really did mark the end of an era for the group.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-25 19:49 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: August 25, 2010 20:06

More PS

Another French 7" Age d'or # 14

Italian

Japanese

Belgian

Another German 7"

Swedish

Spanish

Mexican EP

Portuguese EP

winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 25, 2010 20:08

Doxa
Here is what I say is the definitive version of the song (The GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! live version). I would say this clip captures the essential 60's Rolling Stones:

You mean: the quintessential 60' Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: August 25, 2010 20:51

Fanatstic in any version, like a surge of possibility.

For me, this tends to be the period which first comes to mind when I think of the Stones. They may have become more consistent but they were never sharper or more colourful. And neither was anyone else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-25 20:52 by Squiggle.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: August 25, 2010 21:14

I. Love. This. Song.

To me, this song seems to really exemplify the influence that Jack Nitzsche had on the Stones for a while in the mid-sixties. Nitzsche did the trumpet arrangement on this song, which helped give it that cool Spector-ish 'wall of sound"(it was also the first time the Stones used a horn section).

When the Stones were hanging around with Nitzsche a lot, they really started to experiment and grow with their songwriting ("Paint It Black", "Let's Spend the Night Together", etc...and of course, "Have You Seen Your Mother Baby...").

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1803
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home