Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Why Jack White as Next Producer
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: August 2, 2010 01:02

I have noticed that several fans have suggested that Jack White be the producer for the next Stones CD, but why on Earth why? Jack and his sister, the drummer, was the warm-up band for one of the Stones concert tours I saw, and they were terrible. The music was very loud, and discordant at least to my ears. I prayed their act would end soon so the Stones could perform. Jack cannot sing. He was the least talented guest star on the DVD called Shine a Light. I am sure he is a nice guy but I have never been impressed with his musical ability. By the way, is his sister still playing drums for him?

Does Jack have experience producing records? He seems awfully young. What is so wrong with Don Was producing the next CD? Why Jack White?

Re: Why Jack White as Next Producer
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 2, 2010 01:13

it's not his sister.
Don Was is just wrong, too contemporary-oriented.

Jack is maybe wrong, too, but I've came to say that by any means he's still the best.
and he's a great musician, although I've bashed him a couple of times.

he plays the blues.

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: August 2, 2010 01:16

"Does Jack have experience producing records?"

Listen to Van Lear Rose, produced by Jack White for Loretta Lynn.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 2, 2010 01:23

he's probably the most innovative and productive guy in the business at the moment, I'm sure he'd do wonders to the stones!

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: August 2, 2010 01:24

jack white is the man, love his music. His dirty blues style would be a welcome intrusion into the next stones cd if you ask me.

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: August 2, 2010 01:42

jack white is an over rated recycler of old blues riffs, which he simply cranks up and distorts; what he does is not inventive or creative at all; anybody could rip off old leadbelly and son house blues licks, add tons of distortion, and push it as 'new'

he's crap

he wrecked Loving Cup in the Shine a Light film because he can't sing

please oh maker of the universe keep jack white away, far far away, from anything related to the rolling stones at all.

amen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-02 01:43 by stones77.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 2, 2010 01:47

a good producer is the least of the stones' probs....

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: August 2, 2010 02:10

Why Jack White as Next Producer
Date: August 02, 2010 01:02AM

I have noticed that several fans have suggested that Jack White be the producer for the next Stones CD, but why on Earth why? Jack and his sister, the drummer, was the warm-up band for one of the Stones concert tours I saw, and they were terrible. The music was very loud, and discordant at least to my ears. I prayed their act would end soon so the Stones could perform. Jack cannot sing. He was the least talented guest star on the DVD called Shine a Light. I am sure he is a nice guy but I have never been impressed with his musical ability. By the way, is his sister still playing drums for him?

Does Jack have experience producing records? He seems awfully young. What is so wrong with Don Was producing the next CD? Why Jack White?

It's no surprise that you feel the way you do about Jack White, considering you know next to nothing about him, which is proven by the fact that you still think Meg White is his sister. She isn't, she's his ex-wife, and this has been common knowledge for about ten years now. They just said they were siblings to mess with people, and create a hype around the band. You'd know this if you at least looked them up on Wikipedia before putting up your post. Your assumptions about Jack/the White Stripes are just as ignorant as those made about the Stones by people who think they are are devil worshipers because of Sympathy For The Devil, and the murder at Altamont.

If you knew anymore about Jack than the fact that you don't care for him because he had the audacity to get in the way of you seeing the Stones because the Stripes were a warm-up act at a show you attended, then you would know he is qualified to produce the Stones. He's 35, about a decade older than Jimmy Miller when he first started working with the Stones, and as far as experience goes, here's a list of his credits so far:

As producer

* The White Stripes (1999) – the White Stripes
* De Stijl (2000) – the White Stripes
* Soledad Brothers (2000) – Soledad Brothers
* White Blood Cells (2001) – the White Stripes
* Lack of Communication (2001) – the Von Bondies
* Do Rabbits Wonder? (2003) – Whirlwind Heat[66]
* Elephant (2003) – the White Stripes
* Van Lear Rose (2004) – Loretta Lynn
* Get Behind Me Satan (2005) – the White Stripes
* Red and Black EP (2005) – the Muldoons
* Sewed Soles (2005) – The Greenhornes[66]
* Broken Boy Soldiers (2006) – the Raconteurs
* Icky Thump (2007) – the White Stripes
* Consolers of the Lonely (2008) – the Raconteurs
* Horehound (2009) – The Dead Weather
* The Wind Did Move/Last Kind Words (2009) – Dexter Romweber Duo
* I Like My Mice (Dead)/Spider Bite (2009) – Mildred And The Mice
* My House Of Peace (2009) – Rachelle Garniez
* Bohemian Grove/Atheist Funeral (2009) – Dan Sartain
* C'Mon And Ride/After Party (2009) – Transit
* Fly Farm Blues (2009) – Solo
* Gastown/River Song (2009) - Smoke Fairies
* Fame #9/BP Fallon Interview/I Believe In Elvis Presley (2009) - BP Fallon
* You Know I'm No Good/Shakin' All Over (2010) – Wanda Jackson
* What Can I Do/Lies (2010) - The Black Belles
* Sea of Cowards (2010) - The Dead Weather
* The Ghost Who Walks (2010) – Karen Elson
* Under Great White Northern Lights (2010) - The White Stripes
* Third Man Live: Dex Romweber Duo (2010) - Dex Romweber Duo

Admittedly, several of these are for his own bands (not that you would know that, or which ones), but it still proves he's had a lot of time behind a recording console. He also owns a recording studio, record label, and a store.

Don Was is a hack, with a generic, soulless, modern, crap sound on all his recordings. He's the last person who should produce them. If you like what he's done to the Stones sound, that's fine, nothing wrong with that. But some people still prefer quality and substance over the kind of generic Don Was/Jeff Lynne type of production that seem so popular these days.

I apologise if this comes across as rude and harsh, I'm just trying to point out that maybe you should learn a little bit more about an artist, before you make such uninformed assumptions based on what little experience you have with them.

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: August 2, 2010 02:17

wow

what a crap list

i hope jack white never gets within 1,000 miles of the stones or a stones studio even more, now

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: August 2, 2010 02:42

stones77
jack white is an over rated recycler of old blues riffs, which he simply cranks up and distorts; what he does is not inventive or creative at all; anybody could rip off old leadbelly and son house blues licks, add tons of distortion, and push it as 'new'

he's crap

he wrecked Loving Cup in the Shine a Light film because he can't sing

please oh maker of the universe keep jack white away, far far away, from anything related to the rolling stones at all.

amen.

oh no not you again. we know that you dont like jack white...sorry to say but you're arguments are so silly that i'm almost 100% shure you never really listened to the band or his bands!
jack white would be the best for the stones. his talent and creativity are enormous. and as i said before: he's the one who gets the torch from keith....
and you better buy a new pair of ears bro'! ;-)

Date: August 2, 2010 02:46

Sister, ex-wife, or third cousins, they sucked big time as the warm-up act for the Stones. I chose not to do research on Jack because I am not concerned with a person who cannot sing and because I do not deal with trivial matters.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: August 2, 2010 02:51

to all the jack white ignorants who obviously dont have a clue whom they talk about.
just a short overview of his creativ talent / output...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 2, 2010 02:55

flilflam
Sister, ex-wife, or third cousins, they sucked big time as the warm-up act for the Stones. I chose not to do research on Jack because I am not concerned with a person who cannot sing and because I do not deal with trivial matters.

jimmy miller couldn't sing

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: August 2, 2010 03:15

i wonder what the ages are of the people that don't like jack white. over 40 say no to him being producer and under 40 say yes?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 2, 2010 03:20

I'm far beyond 40 and I say JW

Posted by: mothra665 ()
Date: August 2, 2010 03:44

at least he appears to have a rnr heart, that is still pumping!

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: August 2, 2010 03:47

Jack White? Why?

How about John Philip Shenale? He is an eccelectic producer with an amazing track record and a background in classical music as well R&R.

Time for the Stones to roll the dice instead of the same old shit. Remember in 1978 when punk rock challenged the Stones to break the mold and they came up with "Some Girls"? Something like that needs to happen again, and it won't happen with Jack White.

John Philip Shenale for producer, and while they're at it, get a bass player. I suggest Jerry Scheff.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 2, 2010 03:49

bustedtrousers...thank you for a great post....Jack White's output is prodigious...and some things especially just take your breath away...he would challenge Jagger/Richards...but more importantly he is one of a few musicians that could inspire them...which is what they really need...

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: August 2, 2010 03:57

"Jack White's output is prodigious." -- RipThis?

Oh yeah? Let's see, he's produced records for the Smoke Faeries, The Muldoons, and Dex Romweber Duo.

Not much of a track record. Being a heavy metal heartthrob doesn't recommend you as a Rolling Stones producer.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: August 2, 2010 04:36

He would be a good choice. Even if some think his music is derivative and overrated.

I like him. He could be a 'roll of the dice' for the Stones, but, in a good a way.

He might just be able to get the Stones attention from some younger music lovers and create newer fans.

For me a Jack White produced/influenced Stones disc would be something I would seriously anticipate.

Just the idea makes think: I can't wait to hear this!

Posted by: mothra665 ()
Date: August 2, 2010 05:19

JACK WHITE AND PAUL STACEY

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 2, 2010 05:31

Pietro
"Jack White's output is prodigious." -- RipThis?

Oh yeah? Let's see, he's produced records for the Smoke Faeries, The Muldoons, and Dex Romweber Duo.

Not much of a track record. Being a heavy metal heartthrob doesn't recommend you as a Rolling Stones producer.

..I don't think you can argue the amount of work he's done since 1997 whether its recording or producing or both...it's impressive...he knows his way in a recording studio...and I understand music is subjective..so have at him or not if you like.....as far as him being a heavy metal heart throb which you have some boner over I suggest you look up Van Lear Rose....more specifically Portland, Oregon...

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: August 2, 2010 07:19

Jack White is heavy metal?! Some people must spend way too much time reading posts on this site and be oblivious to the definitions of musical styles that are now really old. Jack White does several different styles, but metal ain't one of them. Listen to De Stijl from start to finish, and then tell me you wouldn't like to hear him produce the Rolling Stones. Great blues and melody based songs that are catchy as hell but never aimed toward a radio hit. His handful of radio hits, 'Seven Nation Army', 'Icky Thump', 'You Don't Know What Love Is', 'Steady As She Goes', maybe a couple of others I'm forgetting, are about as far from other current radio hits as 'Like a Rolling Stone' was in 1965. I'd love to hear him work with The Stones, but I still think they'd make a mess of him. At least the album would be out soon. He's very work-obsessed. Do yourselves a favor and check him out if you haven't. I saw the White Stripes open for the Stones in Columbus, OH, and I too was unimpressed, but caught on later. It's a hard sell for a two person band to play their original music to an arena full of Stones fans. Their Bob Dylan cover was all that sparked my interest that night, and I'm glad it did.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 2, 2010 07:33

Wow amazing the knee jerk reactions of some folks. Jack White is a fantastic producer. You may not like him, but he is the real deal. Loves the roots and respects the roots, and to say he just rehashes old blues licks is so shallow, what about The Stones! Zeppelin, that is the nature of music is to be influenced by something and make it your own, which White does artfully.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-02 07:52 by whitem8.

Posted by: saulsurvivor ()
Date: August 2, 2010 08:44

Jack White kicks ass.

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: August 2, 2010 10:49

^ Come on! ... He's full of himself.

It might be a good thing to have a youngster in the house, but I suppose his ego will get in the way if he ever gets the job.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: August 2, 2010 13:07

I would prefer Jack White over Was.

But I would really prefer Rick Rubin over Jack White.

Really, what I would prefer was a new Stones album in 2011 no matter what producer..

:-)

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 2, 2010 14:02

I don't know what all this talk of Jack White is about. Probably just trying to gain some publicity. The Stones don't really need that kind of manoeuvres.
Rob Fraboni should produce the next one.

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: August 2, 2010 14:31

How about Jon Spencer? ... Now THAT would be interesting!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: August 2, 2010 14:48

what the stones need to do is go back to recording on tape instead of a computer. and with all 4 in the studio at the same time

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1486
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home