Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones in 5.1 DVD audio - anybody heard these?
Date: November 1, 2010 16:06

About, oh, maybe a year ago, I found on a bit torrent site "Let It Bleed" and "Stciky Fingers" in 5.1 surround sound. These were obviously bootlegged, and being a somewhat new convert to the format, decided that they were probably going to be awful and that I obviously couldn't stop curiosity, so I snagged them. I dunno if it was being a "relative" newcomer to the technology but I though these two sounded really, really good!

Fast forward a few months, and eventually Everything (save "Love You Live", "Got Live" and the greatest hits LPS) through "Dirty Work" found its' way onto the WWW in this format.

They are hit and miss (as best I can tell, I haven't really picked them ALL apart) - but the ones that are good (and I think this includes "Exile" -I heard a lot of things I had NEVER heard before!!!) are really good.

I'm curious about anyone else's take on this, especially anyone who has been into the technology longer than I have. I "inherited" a pretty decent system for playback - but I had to train my ears to appreciate it. Also, I'm just curious about who else has even found these, and any insight as to where this comes from, though in a public forum I realize a certain amount of smoke and mirrors must exist.

Re: Stones in 5.1 DVD audio - anybody heard these?
Date: November 1, 2010 16:25

Also, I think I mis-spoke when I said "everything" through "Dirty Work". I think the earliest release I have is the US version of "Out Of Our Heads".

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: November 1, 2010 17:24

I get Beggars, Sticky, Exile, LIB, and the Simpathy Remix single in 5.1, you can to share the links for the other albums?

Yes, bootlegs but sounds very good the channel division...

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: November 1, 2010 17:43

UnderAssistantWCpromoMan
I'm curious about anyone else's take on this, especially anyone who has been into the technology longer than I have.

There's loads of that stuff around; I think that most of it is from 4- or 8-track cassettes. I never got into multichannel audio but I remixed some of it with Audition to find out if it can sound better in stereo. It probably can, but the quality of the source material is worse than 16/44.1 CD, so generally it's not really worth the effort.

Date: November 1, 2010 18:30

rogerriffin, u have mail!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 1, 2010 18:46

Would love to hear some of these, particularly Exile. Has anyone ever posted these on this site?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 3, 2010 01:18

I have the 2002 Sympathy For The Devil CD Single SACD which is 5.1. Sounds awesome. Wish they would have released the whole 2002 reissues in 5.1 instead of stereo (or mono).

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 3, 2010 15:35

UnderAssistantWCpromoMan
About, oh, maybe a year ago, I found on a bit torrent site "Let It Bleed" and "Stciky Fingers" in 5.1 surround sound. These were obviously bootlegged, and being a somewhat new convert to the format, decided that they were probably going to be awful and that I obviously couldn't stop curiosity, so I snagged them. I dunno if it was being a "relative" newcomer to the technology but I though these two sounded really, really good!

always interested in 5.1

so...you download the torrent....burn to dvd??...and play on dvd player w/5.1 set-up?

additional info is appreciated.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: November 3, 2010 18:24

sweet neo con
always interested in 5.1

so...you download the torrent....burn to dvd??...and play on dvd player w/5.1 set-up?

additional info is appreciated.

You're exactly right - although, for whatever reason a few of them were actually formatted to burn to CD, don't ask me why. But, there was no apparent downside to this as far as the 5.1 spread is concerned, and you'll have to ask someone else the difference in bit rate sampling, etc etc. That's getting into an area that does not concern me very much. I mean, I get it - but I don't need it, ya follow?

If it sounds good when I put it on my system, it's good to me. Someone else made a comment about how these probably came from 4 or 8 track masters, and I don't think that's the case here at all. For one, I don't know that the Stones catalog was ever mixed this way-period-on any other format. Also, there would be a significant loss in quality as well as a lot of hiss, etc. These are crystal clear.

I did find a 5.1 mix of COUNTDOWN TO ECSTACY by Steely Dan in the same newsgroup I found most of this Stones stuff, and THAT definiately sounds as if it were taken from a quadrophonic master of a reel to reel tape (or a poorly transferred quad vinyl). There is an excess of hiss and some strange edits/splices. Still, I enjoy it because of the wide discrete spread. It's not something I will listen to all the time, but after hearing an official "mix" all these years, it's got some noticable differences. Same with the Stones 5.1 stuff, and the mono SATANIC MAJESTIES and BETWEEN THE BUTTONS I have. They are all different in their own ways.

Which is why I ask the question: who put this together? With the quality as clear as it is, and a really nice mix (to most, but not all), is this some hijacked inside job?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home