Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mid/late 1970s live Stones album - does anyone know?
Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: October 6, 2010 13:10

I used to have one of those Stones compilations on vinyl. I think it was the one with a bright red or pink cover with a pic of the Stones in the middle, Keith is wearing a burgundy jacket. It was compilation of very early stuff like Walking The Dog etc. I think it must have been one of the many Stones compilations produced by budget record companies.

Anyway...the inner vinyl sleeve had little images of Stones albums on it, was basically advertisnig albums that were available..and one that caught my attention appeared to be a live album, probably late 70s, and mentions some of the tracks on the album including Midnight Rambler. I think it was called "The Rolling Stones Live". The album cover seemed to show KR, RW and MJ hence the guess it was late 70s.

I believe this sleeve with ads was used for various various vinyl releases, it wasn't limited the above red compliation album.

Does anyone have one of these sleeves and will know the live album I am referring to above? (BTW I'm talking about UK vinyl releases.)

I remember taking the vinyl reference number into a record shop, Our Price, this was back in the 80s, but all they could tell me is that it is probably an import. They certainly didn't have it in stock.

Cheers
WLY

Re: Mid/late 1970s live Stones album - does anyone know?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 6, 2010 13:27

Maybe the German release The Rolling Stones Live
which I'm pretty sure was the same as Got Live If You Want It

ROCKMAN

Date: October 6, 2010 13:30

ROCKMAN

Date: October 6, 2010 13:30

Hi Rockman... But it had Midnight Rambler on it, it was definitely a 70s live release.

I wondered if it was a rehashed variation of Love You Live with some studio stuff (including MR).

Date: October 6, 2010 13:34

Acually - I think it was called "Rolling Stones Live in Concert"

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 6, 2010 13:38

I know there's no Rambler on it, but I immediately thought about this one:
...which is a compilation of the well known studio versions

Date: October 6, 2010 13:39

WeLoveYou

The release "The Rolling Stones In Concert" was a double LP that contained Got Live If You Want It and Get Yer Ya Yas Out......but the cover shows the inner photos of GYYYO....no Ronnie Wood....so it can't be that one either...?

Date: October 6, 2010 13:45

Erik_Snow
WeLoveYou

The release "The Rolling Stones In Concert" was a double LP that contained Got Live If You Want It and Get Yer Ya Yas Out......but the cover shows the inner photos of GYYYO....no Ronnie Wood....so it can't be that one either...?

Oh, I get it - it's a Dutch/German release of "The Rolling Stones In Concert", featuring the same material as I mentioned, but with a different cover

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-06 13:46 by Erik_Snow.

Date: October 6, 2010 13:47

Hi Erik, I think you're on the right track.

This is the album:-

More info: [wax.fm]

So it is just Got Live and Ya Yas combined. Ok...at least the riddle is solved.

I can't quite make out the pic but it's probably a '69 - '71 pic.

Thanks

Date: October 6, 2010 13:48

You beat me to it with a better pic, and it is probably a 1975 photo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-06 13:48 by WeLoveYou.

Date: October 6, 2010 13:49

GO ERIK.......... On the ball man...on the ball...

ROCKMAN

Date: October 6, 2010 13:54

WeLoveYou
You beat me to it with a better pic, and it is probably a 1975 photo

It's from Earls Court May 1976....taken from same position as this famous photo

[no credits]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-06 14:12 by Erik_Snow.

Date: October 6, 2010 14:15

Sorry - that was incorrect; it's not London, as I wrote above....the photo used for that 2LP record, matches some of the photos I have from Glasgow in May 1976. What a detail nerd I am
Well - at least we can put it to rest by now....knowing it's Glasgow : RIP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-06 14:16 by Erik_Snow.

Date: October 6, 2010 14:18

grinning smiley

I had just started primary shool that year....

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: October 6, 2010 14:42

Erik_Snow
Sorry - that was incorrect; it's not London, as I wrote above....the photo used for that 2LP record, matches some of the photos I have from Glasgow in May 1976. What a detail nerd I am

Yes, it's the Glasgow Apollo. First night of three - May 10th 1976. I remember it well because it was my first Stones show and I was more than ready for it!

Keith was wearing black leather trousers, Mick had the harlequin trousers and a leather jacket. There were professional photographers in a box opposite the one I was in (and next to the one that Bianca and Anita were in) during the first few numbers which is why Mick still has his jacket on in the shots.

Fond memories of a great night!

Date: October 6, 2010 14:45

teleblaster
Erik_Snow

Yes, it's the Glasgow Apollo. First night of three - May 10th 1976. I remember it well because it was my first Stones show and I was more than ready for it!

Keith was wearing black leather trousers, Mick had the harlequin trousers and a leather jacket. There were professional photographers in a box opposite the one I was in (and next to the one that Bianca and Anita were in) during the first few numbers which is why Mick still has his jacket on in the shots.

Fond memories of a great night!

Hey that must've been great, did you see them in Glasgow 1971 or 1973 as well...?

Date: October 6, 2010 14:48

Bianca and Anita shared a box.... bet that was fun, they hated each other right?

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: October 7, 2010 12:21

That was my first Stones show, so never caught the 71 or 73 shows (although I know plenty of people who did). I grew up in a small village with poor public transport links which limited my capacity to attend gigs. By 1976, I was a student living in Glasgow. I had to borrow the money for my ticket from my mother and sent a postal order (!) about nine months before the show. Got a great seat - in a box at stage height (the Apollo stage was really high so you really didn't want front row).

Apparently Anita and Bianca were both dancing. I must admit, I didn't notice. Before the start, I was busy spotting Stu checking the mikes etc and my excitement was going through the roof. The Stones came on in darkness with just the odd flash gun going off to give me my first glimpse of the band in silhouette as Keith and Charlie kicked off "Honky Tonk Women". When the lights came up, Jagger was hiding his face behind a parasol as he strutted the stage...so, no, my attention wasn't anywhere but the stage (unless you count the two cute Edinburgh girls who had the seats next to me).

Date: October 8, 2010 19:34

Great stuff teleblaster

Have a look at this [www.inthewilderness.com]

..with comments

Not that I've been there but interesting to read...

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: October 8, 2010 20:31

and what album is this?

39. IN CONCERT
UK Date: 31/07/1982 - Run: 100-*94*-0-97 (3-2c wks)

Looks like an album released in UK (not an import) released in 1982 with the title In Concert and I never saw it....

Can somebody post a pic of the sleeve and the catalogue number?

Thanks!

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: October 13, 2010 18:53

We Love You-I have a similar album -it is called THE STONES "LIVE" it is a live compiliation from Get Yer Ya Ya's Out and Got live if you want it.The cover shows Jagger throwing a bucket of water on the audience,you can see Billy Preston and some other guy who looks like him.Mick Taylor is on the cover as are Keith Richards and Charlie ,it looks like the pic was taken from either 1972 or most likely '73.
side 1
1.under my thumb,2.get off of my cloud,3.lady jane,4.not fade away,5.the last time,6.19th nervous breakdown,7.time is on my side,8.have you seen you mother baby?,9.satisfaction
side 2
1.jumping jack flash,2.love in vain,3.sympathy for the devil,4.little queenie,5.honky tonk women,6.street fighting man.
At the bottom of the cover it says -live recordings from the legendary concerts in Royal albert Hall,London,and Madison Square Gardens,New York.On the left side of the cover there is starburst that says-incl.giant poster Mick Jagger.No Midnight Rambler on this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-13 19:54 by GimmieChris.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: October 14, 2010 00:13

WeLoveYou
I used to have one of those Stones compilations on vinyl. I think it was the one with a bright red or pink cover with a pic of the Stones in the middle, Keith is wearing a burgundy jacket. It was compilation of very early stuff like Walking The Dog etc. I think it must have been one of the many Stones compilations produced by budget record companies.

Anyway...the inner vinyl sleeve had little images of Stones albums on it, was basically advertisnig albums that were available..and one that caught my attention appeared to be a live album, probably late 70s, and mentions some of the tracks on the album including Midnight Rambler. I think it was called "The Rolling Stones Live". The album cover seemed to show KR, RW and MJ hence the guess it was late 70s.

I believe this sleeve with ads was used for various various vinyl releases, it wasn't limited the above red compliation album.

Does anyone have one of these sleeves and will know the live album I am referring to above? (BTW I'm talking about UK vinyl releases.)

I remember taking the vinyl reference number into a record shop, Our Price, this was back in the 80s, but all they could tell me is that it is probably an import. They certainly didn't have it in stock.

Cheers
WLY

Actually, there is also a 1970 re-release of the very first Stones lp (including Walking The Dog) in Germany with a live shot of that tour (Keith in blue jacket though) and a big poster of Mick (of course, 1970 too, not 1964...).

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: October 14, 2010 02:46

Posted by: belld ()
Date: October 14, 2010 21:45

Teleblaster - I lived in a village in the remote Highlands with no public transport. Eh you old hillbilly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1927
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home