Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Ladies & Gentlemen, Release Date: October 19, 2010
Posted by: susannewortmann ()
Date: July 29, 2010 17:02

OK for all you nitwits out there! Ladies & Gentlemen was NOT filmed on 16 mm BUT on 35mm Kodak film. Both the negative and print are 35mm! Blu Ray is , IF well done and that is the problem often,, FAR superior to DVD. I also thought it would be a hype but it is astonishing how beautiful, natural and sometimes razor sharp a picture can look! Especially on older films the picture can become a differrent experience. Also, for you Europeans, Blu Ray (not BLUE Ray, what I saw here) does NOt have th PAL SPEED UP, so the films runs naturally and at the correct speed and sound. DVD and (remember) video were a fraction faster due to the NTSC PAL conversion.

Th film runs more natural and again the experience is totally different. If, what I doubt, the original 35 mm print is cleaned and scanned by a company that wants to spend money on it it should be an amazing release! A Blu Ray player costs 150-200 EURO/USD these days and a plasma or Led 600 EURO. Even I could afford it! ;-) and trust me, it is worth the money! I really look forward to it and people saying the 4Reel version is great...ha ha ha ha check again!! You will be dissapointed expecially when you see the original you will be wondering what you've been looking at for years! This is THE release for this fall and I don't understand the compalining here...isn't this what áll hoped for for many years??

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: July 29, 2010 17:31

Hi Susanne! Guten tag :-) ...Are you sure L+G was shot 35mm? I have always read it was shot 16mm and blown up to 35mm for distribution. Interesting. If it was originally shot 35mm that's great news! But if it was, from what I've seen, they used average lenses... But it will still be great... And your Blu-ray comments are spot on!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 29, 2010 17:37

Well, that IS alot of US Dollars when there are so many people living week to week in the US. But I will buy a copy as I fully expect it to be an upgrade. As far as the 4 -Reels versions (and versions takin from it) it was made from an original Theatrical print of the movie purchased at auction a few years back....

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 29, 2010 17:40

It was filmed in 16mm and upconverted to 35mm for screening. so of course the film sent to the theaters is going to be 35mm.

You can upconvert any size film to 35mm, including 8mm the old home film format.

Date: July 29, 2010 17:43

Thanks for the info! Then the 4-Reels version is from a 35mm print!

Just a note. For people who know how long bootleg copies of this have been around(most early ones made from high gen copies of a scarce VHS release years ago) you would realize how big an improvement the later DVD releases were and how thrilled we were to have them! Now I hope as much as the next one that this would be even such another leap in quality !!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-29 17:51 by scottkeef.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 29, 2010 18:40

mitchflorida
It was filmed in 16mm and upconverted to 35mm for screening. so of course the film sent to the theaters is going to be 35mm.

You can upconvert any size film to 35mm, including 8mm the old home film format.

Do they still use film in cinemas? I thought those days were gone.

What I will add is that, afaik, cinema film has always been very high definition quality and still surpasses anything that blu-ray can produce at home. I'm not a technical guy so don't quote me on that. So the cinema showings of L&G should be a real feast for the senses.

And yes Suzanne W, some of us do appreciate this long, long overdue release!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-29 18:44 by Father Ted.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: July 29, 2010 20:36

There does seem some debate on whether 16mm is HD. The reviews of the blu-ray of the BBC's Pride & Prejudice were very good but I recall that the BBC said they wouldn't release anymore 16mm blu-rays. I could be wrong.

Anyway my view is the picture will look better, not the same as a brand new film like Shine A Light, but better than DVD and the sound, if uncompressed, will be better than the DVD. So for classic like this I'm going Blu!

Interesting article here

[www.blu-ray.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-29 20:40 by Braincapers.

Date: July 29, 2010 20:57

Sorry but please check the info on IMDB.com and especially on IMDB PRO, it was shot and printed on 35mm kodak stock!

I know the version by 4reel but it was NOT taken of the original 35mm reel, it was a copy of the Genuine Masters DVD-R. I "know" the GM guy and he told me it was from the best circulating LOW GEN VHS copy but FAR from 35mm original print!!!

Trust me, even the DVD version will be a major upgrade although I was a bit dissapointed by the trailer I saw on the official site but hope for the best for a very clean and pristine version on Blu Ray! Montreux is also a nice extra!

Date: July 29, 2010 21:04

Believe what you want but you're wrong....

Date: July 29, 2010 21:06

wiki has an interesting article on L&G

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 30, 2010 07:57

OK for all you nitwits out there! Ladies & Gentlemen was NOT filmed on 16 mm BUT on 35mm Kodak film. Both the negative and print are 35mm!

..wrong

it was shot in 16mm (like the film Gimme Shelter was) and upgraded to 35mm for theatrical release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-30 07:59 by stones77.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: July 30, 2010 13:05

what about the sound, will they go back to the original and leave off the phaser like effect and also the weird "doubling"/overdubs of keiths guitar in love in vain?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 30, 2010 14:30

i dont understand this blu ray stuff...surely if a movie is shot at a particular resolution, then trying to make it better is like trying to make a 1200dpi photo 2400dpi ?? i.e you cannot improve resolution even though you resample the picture to more dots per inch??

confused.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 30, 2010 15:23

Tornandfrayed
Father Ted
BTW, here's the Extras, as listed on LoveFilm:

Bonus Features:
Tour rehearsal footage from Montreux
1972 Old Grey Whistle Test Interview with Mick Jagger
2010 interview with Mick Jagger

I really hope this is a joke.

It's GOTTA be! "Mick Jagger" ??? Where's Will.i.Am ??

Date: July 30, 2010 17:22

Eleanor Rigby
i dont understand this blu ray stuff...surely if a movie is shot at a particular resolution, then trying to make it better is like trying to make a 1200dpi photo 2400dpi ?? i.e you cannot improve resolution even though you resample the picture to more dots per inch??

confused.

I think that the principle is that film is reduced in quality to fit on a DVD but as blu-rays can fit 5 times as much data on them the film is not compressed as much and the sound not compressed at all.

Date: July 30, 2010 18:04

Blu Ray is the only way to do this masterpiece justice! I HAVE Ladies & Gentlemen as discussed here somewhere and it IS 35mm print! I traveled around to get it tranfered to DVD (also posted that about 2-3 years ago) but it was financially impossible. The sheet info says it was shot on 35mm aswell so you can say wrong many times but I still say its 35mm. My original 35mm will propably go to Bolexman in the fall when I dugged it up from my basement and he's the expert! Anyway, whatever it is, it's weekend here in germany! Have a great weekend everybody. We've got better things to think about tomorrow I'll report from the LoveParade memorial in Duisburg...21 people died at a festival of 1.4 million people and we are still talking about Altamont here ;-) No seriously THAT is something to think about! Enjoy L&G once it is out and IF you can afford it on Blu Ray!

Date: July 30, 2010 18:59

susannewortmann
OK for all you nitwits out there! Ladies & Gentlemen was NOT filmed on 16 mm BUT on 35mm Kodak film. Both the negative and print are 35mm! Blu Ray is , IF well done and that is the problem often,, FAR superior to DVD. I also thought it would be a hype but it is astonishing how beautiful, natural and sometimes razor sharp a picture can look! Especially on older films the picture can become a differrent experience. Also, for you Europeans, Blu Ray (not BLUE Ray, what I saw here) does NOt have th PAL SPEED UP, so the films runs naturally and at the correct speed and sound. DVD and (remember) video were a fraction faster due to the NTSC PAL conversion.

Th film runs more natural and again the experience is totally different. If, what I doubt, the original 35 mm print is cleaned and scanned by a company that wants to spend money on it it should be an amazing release! A Blu Ray player costs 150-200 EURO/USD these days and a plasma or Led 600 EURO. Even I could afford it! ;-) and trust me, it is worth the money! I really look forward to it and people saying the 4Reel version is great...ha ha ha ha check again!! You will be dissapointed expecially when you see the original you will be wondering what you've been looking at for years! This is THE release for this fall and I don't understand the compalining here...isn't this what áll hoped for for many years??

Maybe you are the nitwit, not us. It was filmed in 16mm. 'Nuff said.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: August 6, 2010 04:02

Slick
mitchflorida
Great! Only $10.49 for the DVD here. [www.amazon.com]

But where is the Blu-Ray version? That is what I am interested in.

Do people think Blu-Ray is much better than DVD? Or is it mainly hype?
blu-ray blows dvd away. true stones fans will be getting the blu-ray.

It does blow DVD away, at least in some cases. But considering the cost of Blu-Ray players, and the cost of an HD television, which is required to get the full benefits of Blu-Ray, it's hardly worth it at this point in time.

Date: August 6, 2010 04:16

Blu-ray players are under $100 these days. I saw an HP for $89.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 6, 2010 05:15

Get a playstation, you get a Blueray and great gaming as well. The Blue Ray discs look incredible. 2001 Space Odyssey is simply stunning! It blows away most "modern" special effects. And seeing it on Blueray opened up a whole new viewing experience.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 6, 2010 09:14

I don't know about you, but 1080 Horizontal lines of resolution Progressivally Scanned over 420 lines of Horizontal lines of resolution interlaced together, would be my preferred method of viewing. (what i've descibed is the difference between a dvd plugged in with the yellow cord versus the Progressie Inputs the Green, Blue & Re)d

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: August 6, 2010 09:29

mitchflorida
Blu-ray players are under $100 these days. I saw an HP for $89.

Ok, that I'll give you that, I did not realize they had gotten down to that price. But you still have the cost of a, what is it that's been said here, 1080P television, which is what you need to really take advantage of Blu-Ray. Your still looking in the neighborhood of $1,000.00 to watch a Stones movie? Which is basically what people on here have said, you should upgrade to Blu-Ray for this, or your not a true fan. I don't think so.

Blu-Ray is definitely the future, but it's still a number of years away from completely taking over, and I, along with a lot of people these days, are a long way off from being able to afford a 1,000 dollar upgrade to how we watch movies.

I'm happy as all get out that this movie is finally being given an official release. I have at least two copies already, and I will gladly pay for this one when I can. I just don't see it, or any other releases, as a compelling reason to spend a significant amount of money for a "better" picture, even if I could afford it. And I'm not saying it isn't better. I'm saying I don't think it's $1,000 dollars better.

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: August 6, 2010 12:15

Bonus Features:
[/quote]

I really hope this is a joke.[/quote]

It's GOTTA be! "Mick Jagger" ??? Where's Will.i.Am ??[/quote]

"Don't lie to me", "Rocks Off" and "Sweet Black Angel" we're filmed during the same shows. Not releasing these extras on the official DVD is a MISSED opportunity! And let's be honest, super duper fan or not, who doesn't want to see these great songs?! Is that too much to ask for after waiting 36 years since the release of the film?!

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 6, 2010 12:28

I didn't believe it either, but BluRay can look stunning. Looking forward to this release (on my birthday, great present!).

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 6, 2010 12:49

Mack Jigger
Bonus Features:

I really hope this is a joke.[/quote]

It's GOTTA be! "Mick Jagger" ??? Where's Will.i.Am ??[/quote]

"Don't lie to me", "Rocks Off" and "Sweet Black Angel" we're filmed during the same shows. Not releasing these extras on the official DVD is a MISSED opportunity! And let's be honest, super duper fan or not, who doesn't want to see these great songs?! Is that too much to ask for after waiting 36 years since the release of the film?![/quote]

It's a real shame that those songs haven't been included. Perhaps they were lost a long time ago.

BustedTrousers - yes upgrading to Blu Ray is an expensive business but you don't have to buy all the kit in one go.

Here in the UK, there is a discount AV chain called Richer Sounds that sells last season's branded AV kit at very reduced prices. You can get a Sony BR player now for around £70.

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: August 6, 2010 15:07

is there any talk of the USA release of blu ray? official date?

Posted by: vicdrow ()
Date: August 8, 2010 18:35

US one night event, September 16.
[www.fathomevents.com] (OVERVIEW | DETAILS | EXTRAS)

Participating Theatres: [www.ncm.com]

What about rest of world?

vic

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 8, 2010 18:55

I noticed that Amazon uk are selling the blu-ray but not a dvd...unless you want the NTSC version, any one know if and when they are releasing the dvd in the uk on PAL?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 8, 2010 19:07

i know the cameraman on the shoot that day, george manupelli, a friend for many years. it was shot in 16mm as others have stated.

he's an interestng guy:
...fierce advocate and activist into i would guess his early 80's now...he's a character. we've had many an arguement about everything...he's a gifted comtemporary artist with a wicked wicked sense of satire and elegant rudeness amidst quite beautiful assembalge pieces. retired from film instructor professorships...tho still guests at the festival he started, and occasionally others. another protypical amazing new england iconoclast still pissing vinegar and on fire...up in the northern mountains...

he shot some of the live footage. onstage, sidestage, offstage, backstage etc..
he told me it was totally chaotic he didn't know what to expect beyond point and shoot; he saidit was sorta a casual hire from his friends, i guess the directors...
...... a rush job ambiance from his standpoint he told me.

.he has a wicked jagger impersonation and a unique perspective...him being older than them, into protypical pre beat and beat hipness etc... interesting perspective, as he was not a fan or even particularly into the rock scene at all...what he 'heard' of it, as he filmed it, on the fly, etc...purty interesting to me anyway.

dunno bout 'nitwits' or whatever, but a bit of hostility has kinda made me abbreviate any other contribution along these lines...was gonna interview him special for us here...but everyone already knows so much, i spent sunday on the beach. but 16mm from the gitgo, never shot in 35, as others here have said...

manupelli describes it as a quick hire. tho u can research his background as film-maker educator etc...this was the first and only time he shot live rock music on stage!! he had no prep per se...no particular knowledge of the individuals in the band on stage right there with him!! describes it as sort of war documentary...there's the band there's the stage go and shoot it...we'll put it together later. blam. at least from his perspective as one of the camera operators, and there were only like a couple...anyway...cheers

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-09 17:23 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 8, 2010 19:11

Eh...is he in the film or something? Think you would be better with a new thread for this one mate!!!!eye rolling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1900
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home