Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ronnie Wood 1234
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: July 28, 2010 01:09

I really liked this record always underrated everywhere, I know not here, but no too many people know this one.Why this record is so difficult to find, do ypu have the credits? A really good one staff over there, Waddy Wachtel, Bobby Womack, Jim Keltner, Ian McLagan, Nicky Hopkins, Bobby Keys, Carmine Appice, Charlie Watts, and the beautiful vocals of friends such Dylan, Stones,The Supremes, Pointer Sisters, etc (Anita, Clyde, and Sherlie), a good record to play this summer!!
Any opinion or stories about this 1234.
I read once the song Redeyes was inspired by Jagger, why, don´t know!Really good one song!!
Really like wind Howlin´through,priceless,1234, redeyes, and that kinda reggae in she was out there...

Carlitos
Tenerife

Re: Ronnie Wood 1234
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 28, 2010 01:21

CD still available in Japan......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 28, 2010 01:24

Dylan isn't on the record.

Credits per nzentgraf.de (album was released by CBS the week after Tattoo You came out. They didnt think that one through too well.....)

810902A 2nd September: RON WOOD.
LP ‘1 2 3 4’ (CBS 85227). Producers: RW and Andy Johns. Sound engineers:
Andy Johns; Tom Yuill (for Wind Howlin’ Through). Recorded in and around Los
Angeles, February - May 1981 (see 810200A & 810400D).
A: - 1 2 3 4 (RW)
- Fountain Of Love (RW/Jim Ford)
- Outlaws (RW/Jim Ford)
- Redeyes (RW; inspired by MJ)
- Wind Howlin’ Through (RW)
B: - Priceless (RW/Bobby Womack) -arranged by Rod Stewart
- She Was Out There (RW)
- Down To The Ground (RW)
- She Never Told Me (RW/Jim Ford)
Line-up ‘1 2 3 4’: RW (voc, gtr, bass, p)/Jim Keltner (perc)/Alvin Taylor (dr)/
Bobby Keys, Jim Horn and Steve Madaio (horns)
Line-up ‘Fountain Of Love’: RW (voc, gtr)/Bobby Womack (gtr, bass)/Ian
McLagan (keyb)/Ian Wallace (dr)/Clydie King & Shirley Matthews
(bvoc)
Line-up ‘Outlaws’: RW (voc, gtr)/Nicky Hopkins (p)/Ian McLagan (org)/
Ian Wallace (dr)/Anita Pointer (bvoc)
Line-up ‘Redeyes’: RW (gtr, bass, dobro)/CW (dr)/Nicky Hopkins (p)
Line-up ‘Wind Howlin’ Through’: RW (voc, gtr, bass, perc, harm, p)/Alan
Myers (dr)
Line-up ‘Priceless’: RW (voc, gtr)/Carmine Appice (dr)/Nicky Hopkins (p)/
Jay Davis (bass)/Robin Le’Mesurier (gtr)/Clydie King (bvoc)
Line-up ‘She Was Out There’: RW (voc, gtr, p)/CW (dr)/Ian McLagan (org)/
Jim Keltner (perc)
Line-up ‘Down To The Ground’: RW (voc, gtr)/Jimmy Haslip (bass)/Nicky
Hopkins (p)/Ian McLagan (org)/Ian Wallace (dr)/Bobby Keys, Jim
Horn and Steve Madaio (horns)
Line-up ‘She Never Told Me’: RW (voc, gtr, bass, keyb)/CW (dr)/Waddy
Wachtel (gtr)/Jimmy Haslip (bass)/Jim Keltner (perc)/Nicky Hopkins
(keyb)/Ian McLagan (keyb)/Anita Pointer (bvoc)

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 28, 2010 01:26

Dylan's on "Not For Beginners".

Date: July 28, 2010 01:28

Mi madre so much info in short period of time!!!!!

Millón de thanks!!

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: July 28, 2010 01:36

I find it to be the least satisfying of Ronnie's albums. The songs don't really go anywhere, and his voice is pretty shot.

I'll take Gimme Some Neck (despite the production values), I've Got My Own Album to Do, and Slide on This over 1234.

T@3

Date: July 28, 2010 01:38

TeaAtThree
I find it to be the least satisfying of Ronnie's albums. The songs don't really go anywhere, and his voice is pretty shot.

I'll take Gimme Some Neck (despite the production values), I've Got My Own Album to Do, and Slide on This over 1234.

T@3

Agreed. Even Keith slagged it off when it came out! I remember 'Sounds' interviewing him at the start of the tour and asking him if he'd played on it and he denied it, adding something like "Ronnie's made some good albums previously - but NOT this one". The same interview where he also tactfully remarked "That boy hasn't got much time left, the way he's going...."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-28 01:41 by Gazza.

Date: July 28, 2010 01:41

Of course agreed with you, that´s why I ask you why did he do this album?
His voice and songs are .... you know, but why this album?
Carlitos
Tenerife

Gazza
TeaAtThree

T@3

Agreed.

Date: July 28, 2010 01:47

Well, he hadnt made a solo record in about three years and when you look at the Stones' activity in early-mid '81, it was mostly Mick and Keith who were involved in cobbling together 'Tattoo You' (plus Mick had been in the amazon for a couple of months at the start of the year working on 'Fitzcarraldo') so I guess it was a good time to make another record while he was 'waiting on a friend'.

Bill was also working on his solo album around the same time, so that would probably explain why he isnt on it but Charlie is, as well as other Stones 'extras' such as Nicky Hopkins, Mac, Bobby Keys plus the usual LA session-men suspects (Madaio, Keltner, Wachtel etc)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-28 01:48 by Gazza.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 28, 2010 01:51

1234 is ronnie's masterpiece - i like all of his alubms, but this is the one i come back to far more often than any of his others.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 28, 2010 02:42

Gazza
Dylan isn't on the record.

...allthough Ronnie sounds a bit like Dylan at some places

....but they did meet in the studio during the session - wasn't Dylan working on Shot Of Love at the same time - in the same city ? Think he was. Maybe even the same studio

Date: July 28, 2010 02:59

Yeah. Ronnie plays on 'Heart of Mine'.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 28, 2010 03:00

what do you think Bob sees in ron? Why do they seem to get along, when I could imagine him being irritated by ron's impishness?

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 28, 2010 03:03

I like 1234 alot

Production beats the sh*t out of 'Gimme Some Neck' that's for sure.

Date: July 28, 2010 03:11

Gazza
Yeah. Ronnie plays on 'Heart of Mine'.

Thanks - yes of course I knew, I just forgot

Date: July 28, 2010 03:18

cc
what do you think Bob sees in ron? Why do they seem to get along, when I could imagine him being irritated by ron's impishness?

I would *guess* that Bob is relieved by playing with a musician that doesn't seem to be too nervous around Bob....like other musicians who might give the impression that they want to *ask Bob about a lot but don't dare to.*

...Ronnie, would probably be easy to have around, for Bob
And also; he doesn't "steal the show" with the guitar-playing; Ronnie's good at changing between rythm and little licks; without changing the sound of the band too much - or sounding too prominent.

Date: July 28, 2010 03:20

Erik_Snow
cc

I would *guess* that Bob is relieved by playing with a musician that doesn't seem to be too nervous around Bob....like other musicians who might give the impression that they want to *ask Bob about a lot but don't dare to.*

And also; he doesn't "steal the show" with the guitar-playing; Ronnie's good at changing between rythm and little licks; without changing the sound of the band too much - or sounding too prominent.

same hair-style

Date: July 28, 2010 03:22

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
cc

same hair-style

so it's that easy, thanks, well nevermind my post above
hey...it also explains why Bob and Ronnie mostly worked together during the fist half of the 80s. I guess it would be out of the question now.....unless Ronnie stopped wearing a wig

Date: July 28, 2010 03:42

cc

It's a Gemini thing, cc. smileys with beer

Ronnie has a reputation with getting along with pretty much everyone. For all his shortcomings, if it wasnt for him, we might have been talking about the Stones in the past tense for the last twenty years or so.

Date: July 28, 2010 04:13

Gazza
Ronnie has a reputation with getting along with pretty much everyone. For all his shortcomings, if it wasnt for him, we might have been talking about the Stones in the past tense for the last twenty years or so.

but....that's what we do already

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 28, 2010 05:15

I also like this one a lot. Especially Outlaws & Priceless.

Date: July 28, 2010 08:28

Gazza
cc

twins, eh?... but yeah, I can see Erik's point that when ron is playing his licks, he does fit easily into the "thin wild mercury sound."

on the other hand, have you seen the video of Dylan's show in Hyde Park in I believe 1996? ron sits in but looks absolutely lost the whole time!

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 28, 2010 11:30

I like it a lot tooooo!!!!

1234, Outlaws, Priceless...She was out there...Remaster please!!!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 28, 2010 16:12

In answer to Carlitosbaez's original question, "Redeyes" is a re-recording of a track Ronnie wrote with Mick for EMOTIONAL RESCUE called "When You're Gone." Same music, but a bit more polished (but also with fairly generic lyrics) than what Ronnie does with it as an instrumental. You can probably find it for free download over on the HOT STUFF page.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 28, 2010 16:14

Absolutely his best, IMO!!!

Date: July 28, 2010 16:16

Bjorn
I like it a lot tooooo!!!!

1234, Outlaws, Priceless...She was out there...Remaster please!!!

Remaster? No need to remaster, the Japanese CD release is a very good sounding one

Easy to find on ebay - not expensive either.....it was expensive a few years ago though

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 28, 2010 16:29

The incredible Jim Ford co-wrote some of the songs on 1-2-3-4.

Anyone who has never heard of him and loves country soul and will literally flip when they hear him. Jim Ford is so great he deserves an OT thread of his own. He's Nick Lowe's favourite singer of all time for starters. He was covered by Aretha Franklin.

Anyway, check this out for starters. Anyone with a remote interest in Exile On Main Street is going to love him. 11 out of 10 - yes, he's that good.

Date: July 28, 2010 17:40

so did charlie go all the way to LA just to play on this record? Hard to imagine. Maybe the beginning of his substance problems?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 28, 2010 18:44

I believe the story is Charlie was sent out there to check on Ronnie and whether or not he was in any condition to tour and ended up playing a bit.
Jane Rose was keeping Keith away given the amount of money the Barbarians tour lost and the amount of drugs Ronnie was doing. While Keith was far from clean before the '81 tour she was at least trying to keep him together. I like the album a great deal, but yes Ronnie was a serious cokehead at the time and largely stayed that way for most of the rest of the eighties.

Date: July 28, 2010 20:04

cc
Gazza
cc

twins, eh?... but yeah, I can see Erik's point that when ron is playing his licks, he does fit easily into the "thin wild mercury sound."

on the other hand, have you seen the video of Dylan's show in Hyde Park in I believe 1996? ron sits in but looks absolutely lost the whole time!

Seen it? I was at it!

I think he did OK, for a 'guest' role.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home