Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
I Like 'Black and Blue'...
Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: July 23, 2010 00:42

Sometimes I feel that I'm the only one who likes this album. I play it about as much as all all the others that came before it...especially while driving. I think all the songs are good to great...not one clunker among them. Mick's vocals are just about the best he's ever done. Crisp, clear,great range...I like the way he sings on thse songs...(stretching vowels out to 5 syllables on Crazy Mama...just great!).I really don't think he's ever topped his vocalization on this album.
Anyway...after my one month Exile re-addiction...that's what I'm listeneing to...again...

Cheers

Re: I Like 'Black and Blue'...
Posted by: flairville ()
Date: July 23, 2010 00:43

Memory Motel, still gives me chills every time, the last 10 seconds are perfect.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: July 23, 2010 00:46

got Black'n'Blue the day it came out....it's held up well over the passage of time

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 23, 2010 01:28

Love this album ....... except Cherry.

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: July 23, 2010 01:42

Agreed, I could personally do without Cherry, but the album has a great sound and I like all the different styles from the various players. This is kind of the Stones guitarist olympics and the participants did well in my opinion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-23 01:43 by mckalk.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: July 23, 2010 01:50

My favorite Stones album of them all.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 23, 2010 01:57

me 2

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 23, 2010 02:43

Does B&B own the "record" for fewest songs on an album.... of all time ... grinning smiley
I like that is welcomed the great Ronnie Wood into the band ...HELLO RONNIE!!

my fav track...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-23 02:46 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: July 23, 2010 02:46

Max'sKansasCity
Does B&B own the "record" for fewest songs on an album.... of all time ... grinning smiley

Maybe A Kind of Blue for that record or some Prog piece of crap like Emerson Lake and Palmer or Genesis. Something that's really pretentious probably.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: July 23, 2010 02:57

NickB
Max'sKansasCity

Maybe A Kind of Blue for that record or some Prog piece of crap like Emerson Lake and Palmer or Genesis. Something that's really pretentious probably.

yeah you are probable correct about that ....one (ONE LOOOOOOOOOONG) per sidegrinning smiley,
although I always likes Deep Purples "Space Truckin", and that that took up
an entire LP side on "Made in Japan" ... heck come to think of it ..."Made in Japan"
only had 7 songs...and that was a double album.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 23, 2010 03:45

palerider22 wrote:
"Sometimes I feel that I'm the only one..."

Here we go again...

Date: July 23, 2010 03:51

Relayer from Yes from 1974 had a grand total of 3 songs on the album.

Side One
The Gates of Delirium 21:50

Side Two
Sound Chaser 9:26
To Be Over 9:06

Date: July 23, 2010 03:56

uhbuhgullayew

Side One

Side Two

good call uhbuhgullayew.
I wonder, did anyone only have 2 songs? or maybe 1 song on 2 sides?

Date: July 23, 2010 03:56

I bought it when it was released, April 1976. You guys must remember that in those days the Stones were the kings of the world! Anything they released went straight to #1. I love this album b/c it's got a different type of song 6 out of 8 tracks, Hand of Fate & Crazy Mama being total rockers.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: July 23, 2010 04:00

Kind of ironic that you're welcoming Ronnie to the band and chose a song he didn't play on. Btw, my favorite two cuts are Slave and Worried About You...

Max'sKansasCity
I like that is welcomed the great Ronnie Wood into the band ...HELLO RONNIE!!

my fav track...

Date: July 23, 2010 04:06

irony is artistry.

Date: July 23, 2010 04:12

Max'sKansasCity
uhbuhgullayew

Side One

Side Two

good call uhbuhgullayew.

Again it's Yes:

Tales From Topographic Oceans was a double album from 1973 and had one song on each of the four sides of the album.

Side One
"The Revealing Science of God (Dance of the Dawn)" 20:25

Side Two
"The Remembering (High the Memory)" 20:38

Side Three
"The Ancient (Giants under the Sun)" 18:35

Side Four
"Ritual (Nous sommes du soleil)" 21:37

Date: July 23, 2010 04:19

known as "radio friendly songs" ..... NOT ; )

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 23, 2010 04:56

Max'sKansasCity
uhbuhgullayew

Side One

Side Two

good call uhbuhgullayew.

Quite a few of Mike Oldfield's early albums would have simply been divided as Part I or Part II due to the listener being obliged to flip the record over.

eg Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge and Incantations (the latter a double album featuring one track per side)

Likewise with Lou Reed's 'Metal Machine Music', of course.

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: July 23, 2010 05:04

palerider22
Sometimes I feel that I'm the only one who likes this album. I play it about as much as all all the others that came before it...especially while driving. I think all the songs are good to great...not one clunker among them. Mick's vocals are just about the best he's ever done. Crisp, clear,great range...I like the way he sings on thse songs...(stretching vowels out to 5 syllables on Crazy Mama...just great!).I really don't think he's ever topped his vocalization on this album.
Anyway...after my one month Exile re-addiction...that's what I'm listeneing to...again...

Cheers

I love black and blue. There isn't really a stones record I don't like, some I like more than others. Em. Rescue isn't a favorite, but I'll still listen to it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 23, 2010 05:21

We've been through this before. Contrary to what you said, you are not alone, most here seem to love it. I think it's extremely tired and trite. First: only five real new Jagger/Richards songs. Second: I simply do not want to hear Billy Preston sing on a Rolling Stones record. Third: Cherry Oh Baby is a waste of vinyl. Fourth: Memory Motel is contrived lyrically and overwrought sentimental mush (similar to Following The River in that respect). I do like Hand of Fate. Crazy Mama is ruined by Allman Bros. guitar break. The LAST thing I want to hear from the Stones (other than Billy Preston vocals) is southern rock guitar.

I am in the minority, I know, but I think it's the last of what I call the "Descending Three", meaning the quality went down each release starting with GHS, then IORR and culminating in Black & Blue. Thank God for Some Girls, or the boys would have been toast had the trend continued.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 23, 2010 07:01

It's Black And Blue, not Black and Blue.

Date: July 23, 2010 07:05

Gazza
Quite a few of Mike Oldfield's early albums would have simply been divided as Part I or Part II due to the listener being obliged to flip the record over.

eg Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge and Incantations (the latter a double album featuring one track per side)

Likewise with Lou Reed's 'Metal Machine Music', of course.

Always good to read you Gazza....I did not "of course" that one,
is it a good listen? I suppose this is one way to keep people from
"youtubing" songs. Just create songs longer than the 10 minute youtube limit : )
(and yeah yeah I know we could divide them..but it defeats the Porpoise )

All very interesting........
so the Stones have no shame in only 8 songs on an album.

Side one
"Tubular Bells, Part 1" – 25:36
[edit] Side two
"Tubular Bells, Part 2" – 23:20

Side one
"Metal Machine Music, Part 1" – 16:10
[edit] Side two
"Metal Machine Music, Part 2" – 15:53
[edit] Side three
"Metal Machine Music, Part 3" – 16:13
[edit] Side four
"Metal Machine Music, Part 4" – 15:55

Date: July 23, 2010 07:09

uhbuhgullayew

Side One

Side Two

But that's not music, it's horrible noise.

Date: July 23, 2010 07:11

71Tele
Memory Motel is contrived lyrically and overwrought sentimental mush (similar to Following The River in that respect).

Memory Motel is a million motherfucking miles better ahead than that Wallowing The River song!!!!! And as a bonus it's got Keith singing on it.

Date: July 23, 2010 07:13

skipstone
But that's not music, it's horrible noise.
is it Vuvuzela horns? omg .... the horror ; )

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 23, 2010 09:27

71Tele
We've been through this before. Contrary to what you said, you are not alone, most here seem to love it. I think it's extremely tired and trite. First: only five real new Jagger/Richards songs. Second: I simply do not want to hear Billy Preston sing on a Rolling Stones record. Third: Cherry Oh Baby is a waste of vinyl. Fourth: Memory Motel is contrived lyrically and overwrought sentimental mush (similar to Following The River in that respect). I do like Hand of Fate. Crazy Mama is ruined by Allman Bros. guitar break. The LAST thing I want to hear from the Stones (other than Billy Preston vocals) is southern rock guitar.

I am in the minority, I know, but I think it's the last of what I call the "Descending Three", meaning the quality went down each release starting with GHS, then IORR and culminating in Black & Blue. Thank God for Some Girls, or the boys would have been toast had the trend continued.

I think Black And Blue is a step up in quality over It's Only Rock 'N' Roll, but it's not quite so good as Goats Head Soup, despite it generally sharing the same slightly aimless and indulgent feel. The problem is the Stones are still not quite firing on all cylinders especially with regard to Black And Blue lacking many memorable songs. There are a few groove songs (Hot Stuff, Hey Negrita) with some pleasing musical elements, especially the guitars, and slightly more familiar rockers (Hand Of Fate, Crazy Mama), Hand Of Fate of which i like rather a lot. Crazy Mama sort of sounds a bit too routine to my ears, sort of like a composite of a Stones rocker, without much in the way of inspiration. Cherry Oh Baby isn't the Stones best reggae effort although i don't think it's as bad as some critics would have you believe. Melody is hardly Stones like at all, but again i don't think it's that bad - i don't especially mind the Billy Preston influence. I believe the two ballads perhaps work best - Memory Motel and Fool To Cry, which are fairly untypical for the Stones but nonetheless effective. However, possibly Fool To Cry aside, the Stones lack conviction pretty much in all areas, as though they are dabbling in these different styles without being truly committed, like in their peak years. The production however is remarkably crisp, and the musicianship of new boys Ronnie, Wayne Perkins and Harvey Mandel are rather striking at times. However, the Stones are generally still searching. Jagger sings well throughout, and camps up his vocals very well. True, the Stones found their focus with Some Girls, but it really is a matter of taste as to whether it was really more stimulating, certainly in terms of musicianship, than Black And Blue. Black And Blue is the last Stones album to have that big fat sound (aside from a few tracks on Tattoo You). The Stones went back to basics with Some Girls, stripping their sound down and perhaps ridding themselves of the outside influences of a lot of session musicians. I think this resulted in clearing their heads somewhat, and accounted for a new beginning, however, this didn't last long, because by Emotional Rescue the Stones were pretty much back to where they were with Black And Blue, only with a lighter and less musical sound.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-23 09:52 by Edward Twining.

Date: July 23, 2010 09:51

skipstone
71Tele
Memory Motel is contrived lyrically and overwrought sentimental mush (similar to Following The River in that respect).

Memory Motel is a million motherfucking miles better ahead than that Wallowing The River song!!!!! And as a bonus it's got Keith singing on it.

I do love the Keith vocal part, and it is better than FTR...but I think maybe on that song they jumped the shark in terms of the sincerity of the ballads...or maybe my feeling about this song will never be the same after seeing them bring Mr. Boring (oh, I mean Dave Matthews) up to sing it last tour.

Date: July 23, 2010 09:54

Edward Twining
71Tele

I think Black And Blue is a step up in quality over It's Only Rock 'N' Roll, but it's not quite so good as Goats Head Soup, despite it generally sharing the same slightly aimless and indulgent feel. The problem is the Stones are still not quite firing on all cylinders especially with regard to Black And Blue lacking many memorable songs. There are a few groove songs (Hot Stuff, Hey Negrita) with some pleasing musical elements, especially the guitars, and slightly more familiar rockers (Hand Of Fate, Crazy Mama), Hand Of Fate of which i like rather a lot. Crazy Mama sort of sounds a bit too routine to my ears, sort of like a composite of a Stones rocker, without much in the way of inspiration. Cherry Oh Baby isn't the Stones best reggae effort although i don't think it's as bad as some critics would have you believe. Melody is hardly Stones like at all, but again i don't think it's that bad - i don't especially mind the Billy Preston influence. I believe the two ballads perhaps work best - Memory Motel and Fool To Cry, which are fairly untypical for the Stones but nonetheless effective. However, possibly Fool To Cry aside, the Stones lack conviction pretty much in all areas, as though they are dabbling in these different styles without being truly committed, like in their peak years. The production however is remarkably crisp, and the musicianship of new boys Ronnie, Wayne Perkins and Harvey Mandel are rather striking at times. However, the Stones are generally still searching. Jagger sings well throughout, and camps up his vocals very well. True, the Stones found their focus with Some Girls, but it really is a matter of taste as to whether it was really more stimulating, certainly in terms of musicianship, than Black And Blue. Black And Blue is the last Stones album to have that big fat sound (aside from a few tracks on Tattoo You). The Stones went back to basics with Some Girls, stripping their sound down and perhaps ridding themselves of the outside influences of a lot of session musicians. I think this resulted in clearing their heads somewhat, and accounted for a new beginning, however, this didn't last long, because by Emotional Rescue the Stones were pretty much back to where they were with Black And Blue, only with a lighter and less musical sound.

I think that's a very good analysis. They seemed to me to be making an album to make an album (or to audition guitarists) rather than because they had much inspiration. I might disagree about it being better than IORR, but really it's a distinction without a difference. I don't think it's a horrible record, but I never seem to be in the mood to listen to it.

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: July 23, 2010 11:17

"Black And Blue is the last Stones album to have that big fat sound (aside from a few tracks on Tattoo You)."

I disagree, Voodoo Lounge has a lot of that great fat sound.

Black and Blue is a great album. A lot of people seem to think Melody and other songs are un stonesey, but that's the whole ting about The Stones - they do a lot of different things, and then it suddenly gets VERY stonesey.

Black and Blue has 8 songs. Think about how good other albums would have been if they had cut some of the songs and narrowed them down to 8 songs? But then again, which songs should they've kept? A lot of different meanings about which songs are fillers and which ones are the good ones.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2118
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home