Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: o.t. Humble pie
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 22, 2010 10:18

Eric Burdon was – and I’m sure he still is – a wonderful vocalist. However, despite some fine recordings, The Animals were just not in the same league as the Small Faces. They weren’t as cool, the songs were not quite as catchy and I’ll take Ian MacLagan’s organ over Alan Price’s.

Marriott was a huge influence on a teenage Robert Plant.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 22, 2010 15:00

From Rock On--the last studio album with Frampton:

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 22, 2010 15:07

Big Al
Eric Burdon was – and I’m sure he still is – a wonderful vocalist. However, despite some fine recordings, The Animals were just not in the same league as the Small Faces. They weren’t as cool, the songs were not quite as catchy and I’ll take Ian MacLagan’s organ over Alan Price’s.

maybe a diff between sides of the pond. the small faces barely registered in the US...the animals had a ton of songs that are still staples here today.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 22, 2010 15:47

StonesTod
Big Al

maybe a diff between sides of the pond. the small faces barely registered in the US...the animals had a ton of songs that are still staples here today.
when youre right youre right .the animals still get airplay on classic rock radio to this day .

Date: July 22, 2010 16:12

StonesTod

Yes, the Small Faces barely registered in the U.S. (I think Itchycoo Park may have been the sole-hit, stateside) but 40+ years on, that should be irrelevant. Whether a group cracks the states or not, shouldn't have any bearing on their subsequent influence or appeal. America isn't the be all and end all by any means.

The Small Faces are a bit of the British cult, probably and especially in London. They were the mod-act of the mid-to-late 60's and utterly the coolest swingers in town. The Animals, being Geordies, could never match that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-22 16:13 by Big Al.

Date: July 22, 2010 17:36

Big Al
StonesTod

Yes, the Small Faces barely registered in the U.S. (I think Itchycoo Park may have been the sole-hit, stateside) but 40+ years on, that should be irrelevant. Whether a group cracks the states or not, shouldn't have any bearing on their subsequent influence or appeal. America isn't the be all and end all by any means.

The Small Faces are a bit of the British cult, probably and especially in London. They were the mod-act of the mid-to-late 60's and utterly the coolest swingers in town. The Animals, being Geordies, could never match that.

you seem to be arguing both sides of it. the animals' influence (and therefore eric's) is far greater. i thought that was the point you were arguing with your initial post....

Date: July 22, 2010 17:37

The Greek
StonesTod
Big Al

when youre right youre right .the animals still get airplay on classic rock radio to this day .

and eric's voice remains as strong as ever. steve's started a slow downward spiral shortly after his passing....

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 22, 2010 21:06

There was a group of us and we were blasted out of our minds a loooong time ago at the Hollywood Bowl and totally enjoying Humble Pie as it opened for Emerson, Lake and Palmer. When the headliner came on we found the music to be much too cerebral for our mood. We were roaring for more "30 Days In the Hole." We were oblivious to anyone wanting to hear ELP. We had a great time that night, but thinking about it later we were no doubt very rude. To our credit, we were at the very back (top) of the Bowl. At least we were at the back of the bus. I remember enjoying that set as much anything I ever heard. A good night if you weren't sitting around us and wanted to hear ELP.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: July 23, 2010 02:06

Joe Cocker was a pretty supreme 60s British vocalist. No love for Joe?

Date: July 23, 2010 04:15

KeefintheNight82

came on just a hair too late to qualify...timing is everything

Posted by: pdw ()
Date: July 23, 2010 04:31

I really liked the double album they released toward the end of their career. Can't remember the name but had Hot black coffee..... a great song

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 23, 2010 06:00

pdw
I really liked the double album they released toward the end of their career. Can't remember the name but had Hot black coffee..... a great song

EAT IT.

(That was the name of the album )

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: July 23, 2010 11:23

crumbling_mice
Great band with some great songs, as were Family - shame we don't get bands like those these days. One hit now and they are playing @#$%& stadiums, they don't learn their trade on the road like the old bands did.

Not to push this OT thread even more off topic - but, yes Family were also a great band IMO, a very interesting blend of adventurous "prog" elements and Rock sensibilities. In other words, they were constantly changing without losing feel. It's quite unsusual that musicians so gifted and versatile can still "play it rough". Love their "Fearless" album!

Date: July 23, 2010 12:01

StonesTod

you seem to be arguing both sides of it. the animals' influence (and therefore eric's) is far greater. i thought that was the point you were arguing with your initial post....

Hmm... Perhaps! I thought your point regarding the Animals selling more records in the U.S. and still getting radio airplay was your way of arguing which group was better and the more influential.

I really don't think the Animals had more of an influence here in Britain.

Date: July 23, 2010 12:11

StonesTod
KeefintheNight82

came on just a hair too late to qualify...timing is everything

He may not have gained any significant success until 'With A Little Help from My Friends', but he did have a bash a little earlier on.

Incidentally, like the song that made him a star, this recording also features Jimmy Page.

I'll Cry Instead - his debut single.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: July 31, 2010 21:38

LA Forum, 4 may 1973 - PLAY IT LOUD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-31 21:47 by Milan.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: August 1, 2010 00:01

Saw them twice in 1973, Roanoke, VA, and Greensboro, NC. Both very rockin' shows, and I'm happy I got the chances to see them.

Posted by: Tommy Cosmo ()
Date: August 1, 2010 00:36

Hi there,
Back in januari 86 I attended a show with Steve at the Marquee in London,
and about a half year later I saw him at The Hard Rock Cafe´ in Stockholm.
He noticed me and my girlfriend in the audience and waved to us.
I don´t know what we did in London to make him him remember us.
Maybee the drink with Lemmy after the show!
For me myyself Humble Pie was one of the best British bands ever
tons of great songs and fantastic musicians!
Tommy

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 14, 2011 00:33

First version of Honky Tonk women I ever heard was by The Pie....superb........

Humble Pie..Honky Tonk Women....off Eat It..

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: February 14, 2011 05:22

Love thunderbox

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 14, 2011 06:57

Love a big piece of the PIE whenever possible. A fantastically underrated band, and a joy to listen to. I have all their albums and love them. Eat It is a fantastic disc! Full on whiteboy soul and some great live stuff on it as well. Roadrunner is fantastic. I wish I could have seen them. A shame that Marriot died in such a wasteful accident.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home