Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: OT OT OT: British Airways !!!! The original 2010 thread
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 3, 2017 12:36

It gets worse....

[www.theguardian.com]

In truth, BA has never recovered from the emergence of the Low Cost Carriers, with which it simply cannot compete on cost but it has tried to do so with some aggressive cost cutting. Rynair, Easyjet, Wizzair and their peers may not be luxurious to travel with, but they're generally efficient.

This only covers short haul flights. Some Budget Carriers, notably Norwegian are now offering inter Continental flights and if others follow suit then BA could find itself in sharp decline.

That all said, BA should still easily be able to compete with the other 'established' carriers such as Lufthansa and events like this will do them no favours at all.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 3, 2017 13:31

As an American, I would say Piedmont was the best carrier. Company existed until circa 1970s.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 3, 2017 13:48

I fly with BA regularly and I've never had any problems with them but I am aware that many people do have and that the way they are running the business is becoming increasingly frustrating for many customers.I do think that the pathetic amount of money they pay some of their staff is disgusting so I can understand why some of them are striking even though I would be pissed off if I had a flight cancelled because of strikes.
A few years ago my brother had a flight booked with an airline in Madagascar my brother turned up at the airport in plenty of time to check in only to be told that the flight had departed earlier than scheduled because most people turned up early at the airport and the next flight was not for another week spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Nate

Date: June 3, 2017 13:57

Here is my current Setlist of Airlines used:

1. LAN
2. SouthWest
3. Jet Blue
3. United (although they do crazy shit)

Most of my points are tied up with United. If you use their points - you still have to sacrifice money.

American Airlines sucks and should be arrested for shady business practices. Very Disgusting.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 3, 2017 14:17

Nate
I fly with BA regularly and I've never had any problems with them but I am aware that many people do have and that the way they are running the business is becoming increasingly frustrating for many customers.I do think that the pathetic amount of money they pay some of their staff is disgusting so I can understand why some of them are striking even though I would be pissed off if I had a flight cancelled because of strikes.
A few years ago my brother had a flight booked with an airline in Madagascar my brother turned up at the airport in plenty of time to check in only to be told that the flight had departed earlier than scheduled because most people turned up early at the airport and the next flight was not for another week spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Nate

Priceless ! grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Undoubtedly not in the least bit amusing at the time ... but a very funny story nevertheless !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 3, 2017 16:26

stonehearted
...Oh, yes, and the airport security nonsense: [www.youtube.com]

You HAD to mention airport security...

Our national carrier, Air Canada, continues to win high customer service awards, to the bafflement of most Canucks, who have experienced levels of suckage so high as to create tame black holes in most departure lounges. (Watch your step.)

We have a small second airport here located on Toronto Island. I used to fly from there often on Air Canada's commuter line, including before 9/11. It was then much smaller than it is now - accessed by the world's shortest ferry run, the small terminal had about 3 check-in desks and one belt / body scanner with 2 staff for security.

On two occasions, I went through security and sat to await my flight, only to see other passengers walk around the scanner and sit waiting for the same flight. The first time, I was worried but couldn't decide what to do, so spent the flight with the guy sitting 2 rows behind me, scared witless. (Sorry - typo.) When I got home, I finally decided to call Transport Canada and ask about it. The security guy asked me to confirm in writing, immediately went to the airport and the result was that both staff were sent to retraining and one was demoted.

The second time it happened, I sat there stunned for a minute then approached one of the security staff, who told me that the passenger had already been screened and had just stepped out for a minute. I told her that it was my understanding that this was inadequate but she said it was in keepong with their policy. I asked to see their policy and was told they didn't have a copy at the airport. I sat down to hyperventilate for a minute while she spoke with her colleague, who approached me. I explained my concern and he repeated - "policy." I replied "I'm not trying to be adversarial but I was involved in a similar incident this year. Both staff were sent for retraining, one was demoted and, when I reach my destination, I'm placing a call to Transport Canada," Their response? "Oh. That was you?" But the passenger still boarded. I made the call. It hit the fan once again.

Between these 2 trips, I was at the airport on some special occasion and was presented with a commemorative Air Canada letter opener:

When I asked why they were arming the passengers, they looked at me like I had three heads.

Less than 2 weeks after 9/11 I had to fly to Ottawa. As I am part-time brat and full-time idiot, I decided to take the letter opener with me, just to see what would happen. Well, that pic was taken this morning. Yup - it went there and back, through our nation's capital. But - when I got the the terminal of the airport that had refused to properly screen passengers, there were 2 cops - checking the pilots for pilot licences!

Every time I fly through La Guardia in New York, something happens to my luggage. An umbrella taken, a TSA search that left a bottle of makeup open so that the contents could be evenly distributed through the cosmetic bag, and in 2008 after the Shine A Light premiere, several items of value including a tall, thin bottle of liqueur that would have been hard to remove without notice, disappeared. I followed up with Air Canada, the TSA and La Guardia security (one item was borrowed from a friend and was costing me $200 to replace, so I was ticked). I asked why they couldn't identify who took there things. If I have to check my bags into the custody of my carrier, they have to ensure they are safe. I learned there were no cameras - at least at that time - and there was no way to investigate. That led me to remark - if someone employed at the airport can take something from my luggage, they can easily place something in my luggage, there is no security. No f***s were given. But now they make me take off my shoes, so I feel safer.

Going to New York in March, I had had medical imaging tests done a few days earlier, which is done with radioactive dye. I was given a travel letter by the lab as it can be detected up to a month afterwards. When I was in line about 10 people back from US Border Security (which we clear from Toronto when going into the US) two agents simultaneously stood up, grabbed little black boxes and stepped out of their booths, exchanging worried looks. One said "I've got a 4." The other said I've got a 9!" They scanned the line, stopped at me and their eyes kinda bugged out. They asked me to step out of line. I explained that they must be detecting the radioactive isotope from my test and that I had a letter from the lab. It was easily sorted and I went on my way, happy that someone had finally called me a 9. Departing Newark, I didn't even raise an eyebrow when clearing security. That worries the crap out of me.

So, Pauly, I want to shout but I can hardly speak! Everyone, enjoy your flights this fall! I'll be joining you, wondering what fresh hell awaits.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 3, 2017 18:53

STG! 900%, you did the correct thing and reported it not once but several times. They don't like having someone poking into their business. I had a similar situation with the US Post Office and Amtrak. Getting into their business pi**es em off and makes them do their jobs. Here is a suggestion on what needs to be done: [www.youtube.com]

Take care.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-03 19:17 by shattered.

Date: June 4, 2017 13:16

Is ANYONE travelling British Airways to/from any of the 14 shows the RS are doing this autumn ?

You are ? Well don't be so bloody stupid. DON'T !! You'll regret it.

Change your travel plans NOW !!

Date: June 4, 2017 15:09

paulywaul
Is ANYONE travelling British Airways to/from any of the 14 shows the RS are doing this autumn ?

Not guilty. Haven't used them in 15 years thumbs up. Ryanair to Hamburg and Barcelona and I'm 'flying' to Paris by Eurostar grinning smiley

Date: June 4, 2017 15:32

Would rather fly on a paper aeroplane than with Ryanair.

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 4, 2017 15:58

Nate

Yeah! I use to be in the Paper Airplane industry while in the third grade. Although my skillfully crafted Jet Planes could fly across the entire classroom, I had to leave the industry as I became indisposed writing "sentences" after class. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-04 15:58 by Chris Fountain.

Date: June 4, 2017 15:59

grzegorz67
paulywaul

Not guilty. Haven't used them in 15 years thumbs up. Ryanair to Hamburg and Barcelona and I'm 'flying' to Paris by Eurostar grinning smiley

Good man !!

And apart from anything else, you'd be risking getting badly messed about ... because yet AGAIN the cabin crews are in 'strike' mode !! BA are to be avoided if at all possible, they've simply managed to quite spectacularly evolve into one of the world's crappiest airlines ... quite HOW they've managed this amazes me to be honest. But they're just s**t ! That's the proverbial 'bottom line' !

Don't say you haven't been warned !!

Date: June 4, 2017 17:25

paulywaul
grzegorz67
paulywaul

Good man !!

And apart from anything else, you'd be risking getting badly messed about ... because yet AGAIN the cabin crews are in 'strike' mode !! BA are to be avoided if at all possible, they've simply managed to quite spectacularly evolve into one of the world's crappiest airlines ... quite HOW they've managed this amazes me to be honest. But they're just s**t ! That's the proverbial 'bottom line' !

Don't say you haven't been warned !!

smiling bouncing smiley I laughed at that one Paul. You do a good rant. BA actually used to pay very well. A lad I went to school with worked for them in the early 90s, operating out of Heathrow. I imagine their peers ( with whom they used ro price fix), paid similarly well. With this monopoly, they could afford to pay very well by overcharging grotesquely yet remain very profitable.

The Emergence of the Low Cost Carriers in the mid 90s has burst their bubble and in all fairness, I think it's well deserved as they used to rip people off, creaming off a fat profit. BA have tried to pay later recruits much less than earlier ones still around from 'the golden age' and it causes resentment.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 4, 2017 20:22

Nate

If flying with Ryanair or EasyJet - you better travel a couple of days earlier. Else you might arrive to the concert after it has finished.

Date: June 4, 2017 21:43

mtaylor
Nate

If flying with Ryanair or EasyJet - you better travel a couple of days earlier. Else you might arrive to the concert after it has finished.

Agreed - travelling a few days ahead may save one from unfavorable consequences.

Date: June 4, 2017 22:09

Chris Fountain
mtaylor
Nate

Agreed - travelling a few days ahead may save one from unfavorable consequences.

I've never had a problem with Ryanair or any other low cost carrier except once with Easyjet when they bumped my luggage onto the next flight from Warsaw to Luton 10 years ago. As long as you're primed for what to expect, they're absolutely fine and good value. Ryanair are the most cheap skate of them all but they're safe enough. I don't like their CEO Michael O'Leary (who does!) but as long as you don't exceed baggage limits or any other rules you won't have a problem. The planes are like buses with wings inside though, I'll say that!

Date: June 4, 2017 23:33

If you believe that Ryanair are a safe airline then there are a couple of documentaries available online that will probably change your mind.
These documentaries can be found on YouTube.

Nate

Date: June 8, 2017 19:58

[www.bbc.co.uk]

What a crock of s**t British Airways have come up with as an 'explanation' for the most recent (of countless) disasters they're experienced !

Avoid this airline at all costs ... don't say you haven't been warned !!

Date: June 16, 2017 17:48

And not content with a near total system meltdown a little while ago, now THIS .... !!

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Again I warn people, do NOT book/fly/have anything to do with ... British (mother-trucking) Airways !!

Date: June 16, 2017 17:50

British Airways cabin crew are to stage a two-week strike from 1 July, the Unite union has said, in a long-running dispute over pay and benefits.

Unite said BA had refused to accept its final offer on the issue of the "sanctioning" of striking cabin crew.

The union claims that crew who previously walked out have not had their bonuses or benefits, including free and discounted travel, restored.

BA said that the proposed action was "extreme and completely unnecessary".

'Deeply disappointing'

Unite said it would "vigorously" pursue legal action against BA on behalf of the 1,400 cabin crew affected.

The union claims that British Airways has formed a "blacklist to impose sanctions on striking cabin crew", which has led to bonus payments being cut and the removal of staff travel concessions.

Unite had originally planned a four-day strike to start on Friday, but this was suspended while the two sides tried to resolve the dispute.

However, the union has now said its members among BA's mixed fleet crew will go on strike from 00:01 on Saturday 1 July to 23:59 on Sunday 16 July.

BA reassured passengers that it would continue to fly all customers to their destinations.

The airline said: "We had reached a deal on pay, which Unite agreed was acceptable. Unite has already confirmed it is pursuing the non-pay issues in this dispute through the courts.

"We urge Unite to let its members vote on the pay proposals."

Unite assistant general secretary Howard Beckett said: "The refusal by British Airways bosses to meaningfully consider our compromise offer is deeply disappointing.

"A resolution to this long-running dispute was within the grasp of British Airways, but instead of grabbing that opportunity, bosses rebuffed it. It now means British Airways faces an entirely avoidable two-week strike and prolonged legal action on behalf of over 1,400 mixed cabin crew."

There have been 26 days of strike action by BA staff since the start of the year.

Date: June 16, 2017 17:52

So, the year is five and a half months gone, and this decrepit airline has had nearly an entire month's worth of strike days ALREADY !!

What a bunch of @~£$%^&* !!

Date: June 17, 2017 15:46

[www.theguardian.com]

BA cabin crew call two-week strike in July over pay dispute

Up to 2,000 staff will take industrial action after pay deal collapses over reprisals for staff who went on strike earlier in the year

Cabin crew at British Airways are to strike for two weeks in July, in the longest walkout to date in an increasingly bitter dispute over pay.

Up to 2,000 members of BA’s mixed fleet, which employs mainly younger, recent recruits on inferior terms and conditions to most crew, will take renewed action after a pay deal foundered over reprisals for staff who went on strike.

Members of the Unite union rejected a deal that included bonuses and travel perks being withheld from crew who had taken action earlier in the year.

Unite said they had called the action, which runs from 1 to 16 July, after the airline refused to accept the union’s final compromise position on the sanctioning of striking cabin crew.

The union said it would also “vigorously pursue” legal action against BA on behalf of 1,400 cabin crew who face sanctions. Unite accused BA of having formed a blacklist of striking crew.

A planned four-day strike that was due to start on Friday was suspended last week in an attempt to resolve the dispute through talks.

However, talks at the conciliation service ACAS earlier this week failed to progress.

Unite’s assistant general secretary, Howard Beckett, said: “The refusal by British Airways bosses to meaningfully consider our compromise offer is deeply disappointing.

“A resolution to this long-running dispute was within the grasp of BA, but instead of grabbing that opportunity, bosses rebuffed it.

“Unite believes the divisive way British Airways has targeted striking members of cabin crew is unlawful and amounts to blacklisting.”

“The airline should be under no illusion of Unite’s intent to pursue justice on behalf of its members all the way to the highest court in the land.”

Willie Walsh, the chief executive of BA’s parent company, IAG, told the Guardian before the strike announcement that the latest offer had been “a fair negotiation in the circumstances”.

He said: “The pay negotiations were complete, you reach an agreement, it gets rejected – I don’t think you can criticise us for that. It was a deal acceptable to the Unite union officials, they said they would recommend it. I’m happy that we reward our people in an appropriate way.”

A BA spokeswoman said: “As for previous periods when Unite called strikes of Mixed Fleet cabin crew, we will fly all our customers to their destinations.

“This proposed strike action is extreme and completely unnecessary. We had reached a deal on pay, which Unite agreed was acceptable. Unite has already confirmed it is pursuing the non-pay issues in this dispute through the courts.

“We urge Unite to let its members vote on the pay proposals.”

Crew have walked out for a total of 26 days to date, since the row erupted in January over what the union had branded “poverty pay”. So far, the airline has ridden out the action, and said that all booked passengers had travelled to their destinations regardless. However, a number of flights have been cancelled, and the airline has also chartered or “wet leased” planes and crew from other airlines such as Titan and Thomson Airways to continue operating services.

Pay at the fleet starts at a basic rate of just over £12,000, although the airline says that with flying pay and allowances most crew earn more than £21,000.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 17, 2017 16:42

SomeTorontoGirl
stonehearted
...Oh, yes, and the airport security nonsense: [www.youtube.com]

You HAD to mention airport security...

Our national carrier, Air Canada, continues to win high customer service awards, to the bafflement of most Canucks, who have experienced levels of suckage so high as to create tame black holes in most departure lounges. (Watch your step.)

We have a small second airport here located on Toronto Island. I used to fly from there often on Air Canada's commuter line, including before 9/11. It was then much smaller than it is now - accessed by the world's shortest ferry run, the small terminal had about 3 check-in desks and one belt / body scanner with 2 staff for security.

On two occasions, I went through security and sat to await my flight, only to see other passengers walk around the scanner and sit waiting for the same flight. The first time, I was worried but couldn't decide what to do, so spent the flight with the guy sitting 2 rows behind me, scared witless. (Sorry - typo.) When I got home, I finally decided to call Transport Canada and ask about it. The security guy asked me to confirm in writing, immediately went to the airport and the result was that both staff were sent to retraining and one was demoted.

The second time it happened, I sat there stunned for a minute then approached one of the security staff, who told me that the passenger had already been screened and had just stepped out for a minute. I told her that it was my understanding that this was inadequate but she said it was in keepong with their policy. I asked to see their policy and was told they didn't have a copy at the airport. I sat down to hyperventilate for a minute while she spoke with her colleague, who approached me. I explained my concern and he repeated - "policy." I replied "I'm not trying to be adversarial but I was involved in a similar incident this year. Both staff were sent for retraining, one was demoted and, when I reach my destination, I'm placing a call to Transport Canada," Their response? "Oh. That was you?" But the passenger still boarded. I made the call. It hit the fan once again.

Between these 2 trips, I was at the airport on some special occasion and was presented with a commemorative Air Canada letter opener:

When I asked why they were arming the passengers, they looked at me like I had three heads.

Less than 2 weeks after 9/11 I had to fly to Ottawa. As I am part-time brat and full-time idiot, I decided to take the letter opener with me, just to see what would happen. Well, that pic was taken this morning. Yup - it went there and back, through our nation's capital. But - when I got the the terminal of the airport that had refused to properly screen passengers, there were 2 cops - checking the pilots for pilot licences!

Every time I fly through La Guardia in New York, something happens to my luggage. An umbrella taken, a TSA search that left a bottle of makeup open so that the contents could be evenly distributed through the cosmetic bag, and in 2008 after the Shine A Light premiere, several items of value including a tall, thin bottle of liqueur that would have been hard to remove without notice, disappeared. I followed up with Air Canada, the TSA and La Guardia security (one item was borrowed from a friend and was costing me $200 to replace, so I was ticked). I asked why they couldn't identify who took there things. If I have to check my bags into the custody of my carrier, they have to ensure they are safe. I learned there were no cameras - at least at that time - and there was no way to investigate. That led me to remark - if someone employed at the airport can take something from my luggage, they can easily place something in my luggage, there is no security. No f***s were given. But now they make me take off my shoes, so I feel safer.

Going to New York in March, I had had medical imaging tests done a few days earlier, which is done with radioactive dye. I was given a travel letter by the lab as it can be detected up to a month afterwards. When I was in line about 10 people back from US Border Security (which we clear from Toronto when going into the US) two agents simultaneously stood up, grabbed little black boxes and stepped out of their booths, exchanging worried looks. One said "I've got a 4." The other said I've got a 9!" They scanned the line, stopped at me and their eyes kinda bugged out. They asked me to step out of line. I explained that they must be detecting the radioactive isotope from my test and that I had a letter from the lab. It was easily sorted and I went on my way, happy that someone had finally called me a 9. Departing Newark, I didn't even raise an eyebrow when clearing security. That worries the crap out of me.

So, Pauly, I want to shout but I can hardly speak! Everyone, enjoy your flights this fall! I'll be joining you, wondering what fresh hell awaits.

*You and your story/writing are a '10' !

Date: July 5, 2017 20:25

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Yes folks, you guessed it ... not content with having been on strike for 16 days already, the a**h**e airline of all time is going on strike for a further 14 ......

Be warned: never ever fly with British Airways, have anything to do with British Airways, just stay in the realms of the sane world and avoid this dysfunctional national embarrassment like the plague !! Your life will be better for it.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 6, 2017 22:57

I think British Airways should start offering non-stop service between Heathrow and Gatwick.

Date: July 11, 2017 21:49

Never had any problems with B.A and I fly with them regularly.The last 4 times I have flown with easyJet I have been delayed by at least one hour and right now I am at Vienna airport waiting to fly back to London with easyJet and it is delayed by at least two hours and possibly won't go tonight so easyJet have just lost my future business I will now never book easyJet again.
Fortunately I am on the way back from the gig otherwise I would be even more pissed off.
On a happier note guns n roses were outstanding last night here in Vienna and was fortunate enough to be front of stage to witness Slash make a superb performance he is a stunning guitar player and Axl was right on it as well fantastic concert.

Nate

Date: July 12, 2017 11:08

ryanpow
I think British Airways should start offering non-stop service between Heathrow and Gatwick.

British Caledonian did indeed operate a helicopter service between Heathrow and Gatwick.......long since axed!

Date: July 12, 2017 12:02

I just arrived home after flight delay of over 6 hours on easyJet and they have the audacity to charge for food and drink on the flight after only handing out a pathetic 9 euros catering voucher to be used in the departure lounge.
Fifth consecutive delay with that airline and will never book them again.
I will be seeking compensation from these muppets and they will pay for some of my Stones touring fund this year.

Nate

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: July 12, 2017 14:40

Slightly nervous reading some of this thread. I have yet to book my flights to Barcelona but was planning to use BA. I have quite a lot of avios points - enough to pay for 2 return flights to Europe, but now I'm wondering whether to go with someone else just in case. I wouldn't be flying in on the day however so should be okay...

Separately, lucky you Nate seeing GnR! I was ever so fed-up a few weeks ago when I couldn't get to see them in London. I console myself with the fact that I did get to see them in the early 90s - and I have a more important band to see in the coming months. Still, heard they're playing well and glad you enjoyed it.

Date: July 12, 2017 16:31

MarthaTuesday
Slightly nervous reading some of this thread. I have yet to book my flights to Barcelona but was planning to use BA. I have quite a lot of avios points - enough to pay for 2 return flights to Europe, but now I'm wondering whether to go with someone else just in case. I wouldn't be flying in on the day however so should be okay...

Separately, lucky you Nate seeing GnR! I was ever so fed-up a few weeks ago when I couldn't get to see them in London. I console myself with the fact that I did get to see them in the early 90s - and I have a more important band to see in the coming months. Still, heard they're playing well and glad you enjoyed it.

Hello Martha
I wouldn't be very concerned about the current B.A striking as it doesn't really affect most flights I fly with them regularly and have never had any problems easyJet on the other hand I will be avoiding like the plague I will never be booking them again after last nights experience.

Fantastic that you got to see Guns N Roses back in the 90s I never watched them then.I have seen them a few times recently and they are playing great Monday night in Vienna was probably one of the best concerts I have ever seen and Slash is just incredible I was very fortunate to be able to be at the very front to watch him all night and he is mesmerising.

Enjoy the Stones shows this year

Nate thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home