Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: OT OT OT: British Airways !!!!
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 19, 2013 09:29

paulywaul
Yes indeed ladies and gentlemen, it's winter in the UK, London Heathrow gets a mere dusting of snow, and British Airways of course meets all expectations - and duly plunges itself and its poor long suffering passengers into a state of complete and utter chaos !!

[www.bbc.co.uk]

I give up .........

I know that feeling...back in February 1983 I was snowed in at Kennedy Airport in New York for over 50 hours. Over 1000 people stuck in the terminal with one food stand open charging about triple what they normally charge. Not sure if the airline was to blame.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 19, 2013 10:34

I flew BA from London to Tokyo after the show at the O2. I went to the upgrade counter at the airport and they were offering a "sale" on upgrades to premium economy. I think it was less than 200 GBP additional. It made the trip quite pleasant. I had a bit more space, and was able to get some rest. It you habe a long haul flight, and can afford it, it's worth checking at Heathrow to see what is available.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 19, 2013 12:10

In Norway we have snow every 2nd week or so in feet, so we have everything needed to clean the runway completely in 15 minutes. But we have just a fraction of the Heathrow or Frankfurt traffic. If an airport close down one time per year because of snow then it is probably economically good for the airport and the average traveller, but it is a disaster for those who did not add one extra travel day when the snow is arriving.

Personally I used to plan for 3-4 hours through Picadilly Line when flying out of Heathrow in the previous years. After the Heathrow Express opened I use less than two hours from the hotel door to the gate at Heathrow. I am on the cheap economy flights still. I never use British Airways though...

Bjornulf

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 19, 2013 16:57

drbryant
I flew BA from London to Tokyo after the show at the O2. I went to the upgrade counter at the airport and they were offering a "sale" on upgrades to premium economy. I think it was less than 200 GBP additional. It made the trip quite pleasant. I had a bit more space, and was able to get some rest. It you habe a long haul flight, and can afford it, it's worth checking at Heathrow to see what is available.

That is some of the best advice ever given on IORR. The money spent ugrading to first class (at the last minute it is very affordable) is some of the best money you will ever spend... and the longer the flight, the better it is.

200 GBP (if you have it) to go from London To Tokyo in first class seems like the bargain of the century.... esp if you consider people who buy first class to start with, might have spent 2-3X or maybe 10X (or more) than the price you did.

My favorite upgrade memory goes back to paying only $50 to ugrade to first class to fly from KC - Jamaica. We were standing there, late, and they hauled out this 3x5 sign saying offering an upgrade for only $50.00. Fifty bucks!!?? and we were eating filet mignon and drinking wine for lunch/dinner and unlimited drinks there after, in actual glasses. It was spectacular! I never knew this existed, but when I fly a plane with First class, I always ask.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-19 17:03 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: January 19, 2013 17:13

If you're tallying votes, I've always been treated well on BA. Granted, I've only been on a dozen or so BA flts. What happens behind the scene at BA is something I don't have to deal with. I have never flown Virgin, but hear great things about them.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 19, 2013 18:37

BA upgrades at the airport are £180 for all long-haul flights. I did it for a flight to Uganda - admittedly not nearly as long as a flight to Tokyo but it was still money well spent. I was unable to do the same on the flight back, however, because the cabin was already full, so it depends on luck as well.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 19, 2013 18:38

Just to put things in some kind of perspective, and go some way to explaining why it is that I have a major RANT at British Airways periodically.

I recently had to go to Tanzania. BA couldn't get me there on the dates I needed, so I went with another airline - SWISS. For flights of more than six hours in duration, I am entitled to fly in Business Class. I made the journey below for just under £2K ....

If I'd have made the same journey with BA, it would have cost a couple of hundred quid less than a whopping £6K !! I put in a dummy flight just to effect a price comparison .....

So, for the "privilege" of flying British Airways, you get to (a) pay 3 times the price of competitor airlines, (b) fly from an airport that closes down and goes into some form of meltdown when a couple of inches of snow falls once a year, (c) and get treated with nothing short of contempt by the company's ground staff when it comes to trying to sort out re-scheduling or re-routing.

I'm sure other people have had some good experiences with BA. My own view is that they're actually OK once you actually "get on" the plane, it's all the shit you have to put up with beforehand and/or when things don't go according to plan. They've yet to understand what "customer service" actually means, it means among other things that you try and be helpful to the customer !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 19, 2013 19:21

My best upgrade story:

When my girls were very little and my son was 3 months old, I had to fly from Virginia to Phoenix, Arizona without their father. When I got to the ticket counter they told me the flight was so full that they couldn't seat us all together. I said that I had to be close to my children, so we ended up in first class because that was the only area that had room for all of us to be near each other. They didn't charge me extra, the girls were angels, my son slept the whole way. I was able to enjoy a wonderful meal, good wine, and peace and quiet. I still dream about that flight...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 19, 2013 23:23

latebloomer
My best upgrade story:

When my girls were very little and my son was 3 months old, I had to fly from Virginia to Phoenix, Arizona without their father. When I got to the ticket counter they told me the flight was so full that they couldn't seat us all together. I said that I had to be close to my children, so we ended up in first class because that was the only area that had room for all of us to be near each other. They didn't charge me extra, the girls were angels, my son slept the whole way. I was able to enjoy a wonderful meal, good wine, and peace and quiet. I still dream about that flight...
thumbs upsmiling smiley

Date: January 20, 2013 12:45

latebloomer
My best upgrade story:

Nice story, warms the heart.

I can't help but wonder whether my "not so favourite" airline would have been quite so accommodating in the circumstances ... !!

Date: March 26, 2013 22:23

Yes ............ the world's most arrogant, useless, and overpriced airline, that operates out of the world's most ridiculous and abysmal airport (London Heathrow in case you hadn't guessed) - has f**ked me yet again.

Just trying to get home after 37 days in Africa, but o s**t, it happens to be snowing in the UK in late March 2013. And yes folks, we know what that means, do we not ? It basically means that the entire country is plunged into total chaos as bloody usual, and as a consequence ..... my f***ing flight is delayed by 4 hours !!! A thousand curses upon them ......... I HATE this airline

As I stand by your flame
I get burned once again
Feelin' low down, I'm blue

As I sit by the fire
Of your warm desire
I've got the blues for you, yeah

Every night you've been away
I've sat down and I have prayed
That you're safe in the arms of a guy
Who will bring you alive
Won't drag you down with abuse

In the silk sheet of time
I will find peace of mind
Love is a bed full of blues

And I've got the blues for you
And I've got the blues for you
And I'll bust my brains out for you
And I'll tear my hair out
I'm gonna tear my hair out just for you
If you don't believe what I'm singing
At three o'clock in the morning, babe, well
I'm singing my song for you

On the positive side however, I'm gonna see the great Sir Ron this evening .... so kindly move over James McCartney, and please take the Ambassadors' stage Sir Ron !!

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 26, 2013 22:29

British Airways thumbs up

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 27, 2013 01:06

Yes, it is very sad. I used to fly with them often, and the LA Times (I live in LA) is constantly printing letters from miserable customers. I am so pro-Britain that it makes me feel quite dreadful that the company obviously doesn't care about their passengers.

I have flown a lot between US, England and Europe and for years I looked forward to every flight. That anticipation seems to be gone with the wind.

One tip I offer to Londoners and I don't know if it stills holds true, but I had great help from a well-experienced woman named Maxine in Selfridge's Travel department...sorting out various problems I had with BA even though I hadn't bought my ticket from her.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 27, 2013 02:13

I try to avoid Heathrow in favor of Gatwick. whenever possible, though
my last trips through there weren't that easy either, as I recall. BA is almost
always too expensive for me, even going straight into the UK and back.

Pauly, in the US, we have some airlines with horrible service on the ground also.
Customer service seems a thing of the past, in many realms.

Hope you have a *great show* tonight, despite any snow!
Had that here too, in the Midwest US on Monday.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-27 03:11 by angee.

Date: March 27, 2013 15:11

angee

Pauly, in the US, we have some airlines with horrible service on the ground also.

I'm back home now, after a tedious bloody journey made even more annoying because even when the sodding plane landed at Heathrow some 4 hours late, we couldn't get OFF it for about another 30 minutes due to a lack of steps ????????????? Then, once in the baggage hall, there was yet another delay of some 45 minutes, an announcement was made explaining that the doors to the baggage hold on the plane had become jammed ????????????

EH WHAT ????????????

And all this for the bargain basement price of some £5,700 roundtrip London-Kampala. They're taking the p*** !!

Anyway, all that will be forgotten when Sir Ron hits the stage tonight !! I retain an open mind about McCartney Jr however ............. !!

Date: March 27, 2013 15:27

......deep breath.......and relax, Paul.....just think of all those airmiles you can use - to fly on BA again!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 27, 2013 16:54

paulywaul
angee

I'm back home now, after a tedious bloody journey made even more annoying because even when the sodding plane landed at Heathrow some 4 hours late, we couldn't get OFF it for about another 30 minutes due to a lack of steps ????????????? Then, once in the baggage hall, there was yet another delay of some 45 minutes, an announcement was made explaining that the doors to the baggage hold on the plane had become jammed ????????????

EH WHAT ????????????

And all this for the bargain basement price of some £5,700 roundtrip London-Kampala. They're taking the p*** !!

Anyway, all that will be forgotten when Sir Ron hits the stage tonight !! I retain an open mind about McCartney Jr however ............. !!

It sounds like it was bad with the distribution of alcoholic beverages on the plane ...

2 1 2 0

Date: January 20, 2014 17:29

Yes people, it's our favourite "airline" thread, involving the world's most overpriced and generally cantankerous airline company .... British bloody Airways !

However, on this fine day in January 2014, when tickets went on sale for the Rolling Stones show in Shanghai, they might just have finally been of some actual use to me. Reason being, they'll be transporting my good self and another well known user of this message board from London Heathrow to Shanghai & Hong Kong, and all for free other than a couple of hundred ££££££s in taxes. Thank you AIR MILES !

Roll on 9th and 12th March ............ cool smiley hot smiley cool smiley hot smiley cool smiley hot smiley cool smiley hot smiley ......... and so on and so on ad infinitum

Date: January 20, 2014 18:03

paulywaul
Yes people, it's our favourite "airline" thread, involving the world's most overpriced and generally cantankerous airline company .... British bloody Airways !

However, on this fine day in January 2014, when tickets went on sale for the Rolling Stones show in Shanghai, they might just have finally been of some actual use to me. Reason being, they'll be transporting my good self and another well known user of this message board from London Heathrow to Shanghai & Hong Kong, and all for free other than a couple of hundred ££££££s in taxes. Thank you AIR MILES !

Roll on 9th and 12th March ............ cool smiley hot smiley cool smiley hot smiley cool smiley hot smiley cool smiley hot smiley ......... and so on and so on ad infinitum

Now, about that planned cabin crew strike...........

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 20, 2014 18:21

Manofwealthandtaste
paulywaul

Now, about that planned cabin crew strike...........

You heard that too Chris! I heard it's due to start on March 8 for 36 hours.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 20, 2014 18:34

That's OK, then - we'll be long gone from here already spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: January 20, 2014 19:13

Silver Dagger
Manofwealthandtaste
paulywaul

Now, about that planned cabin crew strike ...........

You heard that too Chris! I heard it's due to start on March 8 for 36 hours.

Knowing my luck, that's exactly what would happen. Good "thang" we're legging it on the 4th then ......... !! winking smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 20, 2014 19:46

I Went with BA yesterday, London to Stockholm...A non alcoholic trip..I was lucky to have swept 3 pints on Heathrow...smileys with beer

2 1 2 0

Date: June 3, 2017 09:28

Yes folks ... they're BACK !!

No no no, not the Rolling bloody Stones !! We know THEY'RE back, I'm talking about that other entity that's ALWAYS there in the background (a bit like the sun and the moon and the Rolling Stones) ... the world's crappiest, most cantankerous, unfriendly, useless, and thoroughly disagreeable airline !! Yes, we all know who we're talking out - it's British f***ing Airways !!

[www.bbc.co.uk]

WHAT is the matter with these people ? For heavens sake ! The nation despairs !! Not content with a complete 'system crash' the other day, that shut them down across the entire planet, the stupid b****ards are now going on strike !

Re: OT OT OT: British Airways !!!! The original 2010 thread
Date: June 3, 2017 09:35

[www.theguardian.com]

This shower of incompetents do not deserve to be in the airline business, they should be running a fleet of a dozen bumper cars at a fun fair ... and even THAT they would probably f**k up !!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 3, 2017 10:04

Date: June 3, 2017 10:54

Yes that's all very well, but have YOU had the pleasure of British Airways when things don't quite go according to plan ? They re-define the term 'customer service' ... they are the armpit of the airline industry. Well actually, they're worse, they're the (think of another part of the human body beginning with the letter'a' ... ) of the airline industry !!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 3, 2017 11:00

paulywaul
This shower of incompetents do not deserve to be in the airline business
The airlines don't deserve to be in the airline business.

Date: June 3, 2017 11:07

Hairball
Louis CK - Airplanes[/url]
That's sad about Louis CK, since he seems to have modeled his whole act on being the heir apparent to George Carlin, because he seems to be a yes man for the sad, fascist government security state of air travel, when he instead should be reviewing what the real George Carlin said about that mess: [www.youtube.com]

Oh, yes, and the airport security nonsense: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-03 11:36 by stonehearted.

Date: June 3, 2017 11:11

You know, I miss movies like this...

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1452
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home