Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rambler Sidney 2003
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 19, 2010 21:04

I have this CDR flying around the car that is a great collection of live songs from the Licks tour (Brought back memories of the old days when it took ages to download a shitty mp3 with what could have been one of the first p2p programs, what was it called?) Anyway, first song, Rambler from Sydney. What a great way to start the show! Probably one of the best ever. If I had been in the room, probably I would have had stroke, something like the horse in Animal House. I mean, there you are with a beer in your hand ready to go, betting if they will start with Sugar or Flash, and boom, rambler. How can you survive that?

Was anybody there? What was it like to be in the room?

C

Re: Rambler Sidney 2003
Posted by: saintmick ()
Date: July 19, 2010 22:25

just absolutely great, like heaven. check the reviews here on iorr

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 19, 2010 23:19

Only time they ever opened with it. Must have been incredible.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 19, 2010 23:33

Wasn't there one more time they started with Rambler?
Have to think about it . .

Posted by: wildwildhorses ()
Date: July 19, 2010 23:49

I was there !! , it was unbelievable. We waited outside the theatre for the whole day,passing around tequila. huge queue formed thru the morning, and they let us in.... a good rush,scramble for the front ,to be leaning on the barrier/stage position.
Opening band, Jet.
then some old blues started to play out,quite loud and grunty. including "mona" I remember and the crowd was starting to go wild.Thumping on the barriers in time , singing, chanting ..............geez ...take me back there !!
then the lights went from a hazy blue into a dim sort of red.... and then you make out Charlie in the back, he sort of sneaked on to the stage somehow, Keith and Ronnie sort of walked forward and at the same time started to riff straight into "Rambler ", Mick came from the side ...........well the rest is history.
suffice to the say,closest one can get to heaven. !!!
life was good !!!!

Posted by: masoudi ()
Date: July 19, 2010 23:57

I was there too. Lined up all day and had a blast meeting people. Sprinted to the front and I was front left next to the catwalk. It is all a haze now but yes the opening was dream, I was so excited and was screaming so loud it seemed to finish too quick. Mick had a pretty bad cold that night but being the pro he got through it all. You could see the adrenaline he got from the crowd lifting him. I believe Marianne was there as well but I never saw her. Was great when the acdc boys came out as well. I got some great photos that night. Never been so close that when Keith lent down to play some riffs on the cat walk I could have grabbed the pick from his hand (didnt of course) Great great night

Date: July 20, 2010 00:14

I was leaning on the catwalk too , right side (Keiths ), had a hand slap from Mick,
and Keith on his knees blasting some chords during Brown Sugar...right in front of me, got a smile from him.
it was a cool cool night, hot...but cool.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 20, 2010 01:27

CousinC

I dont think there was, mate.

Date: July 20, 2010 03:16

Hi Brendon, Ross here..
How is it going mate ??
it sure is getting hazy...but great shows like that have a habit of sticking in the brain....
and don`t forget the tequila we drank !!!
great memories .

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: July 20, 2010 17:58

I was there and remember it well...I was right down the front, just to the left of the catwalk (so on Ronnie's side), pretty much directly in front of Charlie. I remember before the stones came on a security guy came down to talk to us near the catwalk and told us not to touch Mick's legs or feet when he is on the catwalk......

It seemed to take forever to set te stage up for the Stones - the roadies were absolute perefectinists. I remmber one of them coming out, opening a fresh packet of Marlboros, taking two cigarettes halfway out of the pack, and then placing them on an ashtray on Charlies drum riser, facing Keith....the roadie then stood back a bit, had a look at the cigarette pack,then stooped down to adjust the angle of the pack, then stood back again, had another look, then did one final adjustment to the angle of the cigarette pack....

Finally the lights went out....i could see the Stones coming in from the side of the side, around the back behind the amps (I particularly remember Ronnie crouching down but not crouchng down quite far emough because you could see his rooster hairdo....then Charlie climbed up onto his stool, Keith strolled out, looked at the audience, then turned to Charlie and said "You ready?" Charlie said "Lets go" and Keith started the opening chords of Midnight Rambler...absolutely awesome stuff.

It got incredibly hot in there....by the end my girlfriend was passing out because of the heat, and so during "Brown Sugar" (the last song before the encore) we started making our way towards the exit. We watched the encore ("Satisfaction") from about halfway back, but my girlfriend was still struggling to stay on her feet.....at the end, after the final bow, Charlie threw his sticks into the crowd. One came straight for me and I was about to reach up and catch it when I felt my girlfriend start to fall again.....what a dilemma - do I catch my girlfriend or the drumstick????? Well, I caught my girlfriend and the guy next to me got Charlie's drumstick......

It reminds me a bit of my uncle's story about gonig to see the Stones at Randwick Racecourse in 1973....he and a friend were lining up outside waiting to goi in, when his friend got hit in the head by a beer bottle that someone had thrown. His friend was knocked uncoinscious and an ambulance had to be called.....my uncle was faced with a terrible choice - go with his friend to the hospital or go in to the concert....well, he stayed with his friend and missed one of the Stones' classic shows.....What would you have done??

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 20, 2010 18:16

john lomax

It reminds me a bit of my uncle's story about gonig to see the Stones at Randwick Racecourse in 1973....he and a friend were lining up outside waiting to goi in, when his friend got hit in the head by a beer bottle that someone had thrown. His friend was knocked uncoinscious and an ambulance had to be called.....my uncle was faced with a terrible choice - go with his friend to the hospital or go in to the concert....well, he stayed with his friend and missed one of the Stones' classic shows.....What would you have done??

Easy: get Charlies stick and see the concert!

C

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 21, 2010 01:58

Gazza
CousinC

I dont think there was, mate.

Well, you probably looked it up before, so you will be right . . !?

Naah, think I mixed it up with the encore Ramblers !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-21 02:00 by CousinC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1647
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home