Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best Wyman Book: stone alone OR rollin' with... ??
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 15, 2010 00:46

quick i'm at the library and haven't read either!! thanx.

Re: Best Wyman Book: stone alone OR rollin' with... ??
Date: July 15, 2010 01:08

come on; i'm outta here in fifteen minutes. i can't spend my LIFE in the library you know....dang it...
i've already got all the literature i need for the entrance exams to the seminary....so, like which wyman book???

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 15, 2010 01:17

Rolling with...

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 15, 2010 01:18

Flip a coin or better yet, if you are at a public library, check out both of the books.

Date: July 15, 2010 01:18

finally. my savior!!! thank you! gonna go with rollin...

AND....thanks for suggestion but
they are both almost five hundred pages long!! i can't take em both!!! i'd be going nuts back and forth between em!!!;....dohhhh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-15 01:19 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: July 15, 2010 02:06

Rolling with the Stones is amazing.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 15, 2010 02:08

Grab Rolling With and nail the librarian on the way out ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 15, 2010 04:10

Stone Alone is like reading a somewhat scholarly history. A lot of financial details.. a lot about Brian and Stu, which is good.
Rollin' has lots of photos.
There's a good book about the painter Marc Chagall, Bill (his friend and neighbor) did the photographs for. really cool.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: July 15, 2010 04:28

Should have gone with Stone Alone....I was always let down by Rolling With, as I had waited years for a continuation to get the story from Bill into the 70s to wind up with little more than a nice picture book. It's not bad by any means but not what I had been hoping for after Stone Alone. I mean dang, now we may never know all the women Bill slept with in the 70s or how pathetic his bank account was...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 15, 2010 07:03

......AND this one if ya won't the real dirt on Bill......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 15, 2010 09:34

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: July 15, 2010 10:09

I´m always surprised Bill has never continued the Stoned Alone story. Don´t have it here, didn´t it end in 69 or so? Has he ever said he´s gonna "finish" it?

I like Rolling With a lot. Bill seems like a reliable source out of many flaky ones.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: July 15, 2010 10:40

tumblingdice
Should have gone with Stone Alone....I was always let down by Rolling With, as I had waited years for a continuation to get the story from Bill into the 70s to wind up with little more than a nice picture book. It's not bad by any means but not what I had been hoping for after Stone Alone. I mean dang, now we may never know all the women Bill slept with in the 70s or how pathetic his bank account was...

Yeah - or gone into complete details concerning the " toothpaste trick"

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: July 15, 2010 19:19

Rolling with the Stones is an amazing book. I am looking to buy my own copy, but there are only used copies avaialable over the original book price of $50 US, $80 Canada.

I'm reading Stone Alone right now..........good., but slow going. bill is very detailed.

Looking forward to keith's auto bio in Oct.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 15, 2010 19:35

RobberBride
I´m always surprised Bill has never continued the Stoned Alone story. Don´t have it here, didn´t it end in 69 or so? Has he ever said he´s gonna "finish" it?

I like Rolling With a lot. Bill seems like a reliable source out of many flaky ones.

Yes, originally there was supposed to be a follow-up for the 70's - and then I imagine another for the 80's, but they never happened. I'm not sure if he ever began writing them or not

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 16, 2010 02:14

While Stone Alone was a real "Bill" - kinda boring and embarrassing in parts - nevertheless some parts were quite interesting.

So I was also looking forward to the follow-up. Particularly because a lot of exciting and unresolved things had happened in the 70's and later. And I hoped that he had learned from critics and did a better writing second time around.

But then he was somewhere cited that those follow-ups had been cancelled entirely and replaced with Rolling with the Stones.

While this is very nice it's still an completely different book-project and unfortunally this time only skims the surface of stonesworld adventures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-16 02:16 by CousinC.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 16, 2010 02:29

I guess I'm one of the few who thinks "Stone Alone" is worth reading
All those little details, and talk about such minor things like tea and stuff.....I laughed out loud several times when I read it; even though I don't know if I was supposed to
I understand if somebody finds parts of it boring though - but Bill Wyman has a lot of humour which I think passes most people by

Just watched the "Stoned In Exile" DVD for the 2nd time.....so funny, that almost the only Bill interview during the "main movie" - is when he mentions the difficulties when it comes to making tea over in France..! Real cool guy (not kidding)

...but "Rolling With the Stones" is the better book, I suppose - but that's mainly because of the layout and photos. There's "too less" text there

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-16 02:33 by Erik_Snow.

Date: July 16, 2010 03:00

Real cool guy?
Sorry, but quite on the contrary here!

While the "Exile" interview was a bit funny indeed, I normally see him as a narrow-minded and square person and some of his remarks I always found quite embarrassing . .

Date: July 16, 2010 03:04

CousinC
Real cool guy?

While the "Exile" interview was a bit funny indeed, I normally see him as a narrow-minded and square person and some of his remarks I always found quite embarrassing . .

It depends on how you look at it

I get the feeling Bill Wyman is quite aware of his remarks being somewhat odd; I find it very funny

I also find it very cool that he's a *bassplayer* and not a *poser* - even though he's been a Rolling Stone for 30 years, and have had every chance to be one....also after leaving; ....and that is cool in my book

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-16 03:09 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 16, 2010 03:17

Is it just me or is there amazingly very little inside information about the dynamics of the band during the Taylor era? You hear comments here and there, but nothing in depth. Keith says this and that every so often. Jagger is almost silent. Taylor does not want to offend, so he's talking, much. That is why I was disappointed in Wyman's 2nd book. The first one ended right when I wanted to know more. What was it like inside the band when Taylor first soloed on SFTD? How did Keith take it? What was Taylor's relationship with Jagger? With Keith? Come on, Bill! We want the inside scoop! Spill it!

Date: July 16, 2010 03:21

pmk251
Is it just me or is there amazingly very little inside information about the dynamics of the band during the Taylor era? You hear comments here and there, but nothing in depth. Keith says this and that every so often. Jagger is almost silent. Taylor does not want to offend, so he's talking, much. That is why I was disappointed in Wyman's 2nd book. The first one ended right when I wanted to know more. What was it like inside the band when Taylor first soloed on SFTD? How did Keith take it? What was Taylor's relationship with Jagger? With Keith? Come on, Bill! We want the inside scoop! Spill it!

I agree - I was alwayss hoping for another "Stone Alone" covering the 70s and 80s.

When "Rolling With The Stones" was released I was actually REALLY disappointed; that's what I meant about "too little text!" above.
The layout is great - but that's almost it.
THe part of the book that's covering the 60s, is like a heavily heavily chopped version of "Stone Alone" - and unfortunately....the 70s and 80s are covered in the same style.....hardly any stories or info we haven't heard before.

Rolling With The Stones is probably a great book for the "new fan" - but disappointing to me, as I expected something else....like you did as well, obviously

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 16, 2010 03:43

pmk251

This man nails it. Again. What happened in the bosom of the band, did things, especially relationships, shift, what were the reactions of the main three persons, did the power structure change, if so in what respects and with what consequences, what/who influenced what/who, could one discover the first signs or 'foresee' the dramatic and 'sudden' way Taylor left the band etc. etc. That's what this book should be about. Now I know it's not worth reading.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 16, 2010 08:40

Erik_Snow
CousinC
Real cool guy?

I get the feeling Bill Wyman is quite aware of his remarks being somewhat odd; I find it very funny

I also find it very cool that he's a *bassplayer* and not a *poser* - even though he's been a Rolling Stone for 30 years, and have had every chance to be one....also after leaving; ....and that is cool in my book

I agree with both of you somehow... bill does seem to be narrow-minded and conservative--in the sense of being set-in-his-ways, not morally. But the fact that he seems comfortable with his personality makes him genuinely cool. And the fact that he plays a mean bass.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 16, 2010 16:38

Erik_Snow
I guess I'm one of the few who thinks "Stone Alone" is worth reading

I loved it! It's been many years since I read it, but the one main thing I recall from Bill is an overall bitterness over the fact that Mick & Keith got all the glory, songwriting credits etc.... yet many times he references the fact that after shows in the early years, he would go girl hunting while Mick & Keith were the ones that would lock themselves up to work on new songs, promotions etc.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 16, 2010 17:34

The big deal with rolling with the stones is that there is lots of pics of Bill's memorabilia. Too bad they are all pasted and cropped and printed on lousy paper. All in all a very cheap presentation. What makes the Italian version even worse is that the translation is so bad that it must have been done with Google translator.

C

Date: July 16, 2010 17:38

cc
Erik_Snow
CousinC
Real cool guy?

I agree with both of you somehow... bill does seem to be narrow-minded and conservative--in the sense of being set-in-his-ways, not morally. But the fact that he seems comfortable with his personality makes him genuinely cool. And the fact that he plays a mean bass.

LOL, Well that's true for shure . .

And seems like most of us can at least agree that a well-done Stone Alone 2 was definitely required!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 16, 2010 17:39

Rolling With The Stones is also full of errors. Which is funny. Fantastic production though. The pictures are worth the price of the book along with the inside quips about what they wanted to do for an album. Like what he says about Emotional Rescue.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 16, 2010 18:43

Yes, I left out a word...."Taylor is NOT talking, much."

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 16, 2010 18:56

pmk251
Yes, I left out a word...."Taylor is NOT talking, much."

Yeah, I had to think about your first version for a moment, because I thought: the word 'so' isn't logic. After a little while I concluded you unintentionally had omitted the word 'not'. Thanks for confirming!

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: July 16, 2010 18:59

skipstone
Rolling With The Stones is also full of errors. Which is funny. Fantastic production though. The pictures are worth the price of the book along with the inside quips about what they wanted to do for an album. Like what he says about Emotional Rescue.

I figured Bill was pretty accurate with his record keeping?
He states that Ronnie Wood was hanging with the guys from America when the Stones call to tell him that he is a Rolling Stone. I hope that part is true, b/c the stones and america are my favorites.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home