Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Crazy Mama!!!!
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 20, 2020 23:48

Funny...thumbs down

MisterDDDD
Crap.
Knew it was just a matter of time before people were able to hack into other peoples accounts here.
((( WHOEVER IS POSTING UNDER HB"S ACCOUNT- YOU'RE NOT FOOLING ANYONE!! )))

Hairball
Everything about the song is great - even Ronnie.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 21, 2020 00:01

dcba
audun-eg
Didn't they play it on the Licks Tour?
I doubt it was ever played after the 98 tour.

I thought it might have been played at a club or theater show during Licks 2002/2003, and I was almost sure I saw it played at one of those small shows, but evidently not.
However, it was played in 2015 at the Belly Up Tavern down in Solana Beach, CA - Belly Up...unfortunately I wasn't at that show!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-21 00:08 by Hairball.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 21, 2020 02:46

its a typical mid tempo stones rocker, short of a classic but very good, should have done it more live.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 21, 2020 04:22

2015 they played it. May 27 at The Belly Up in Solana Beach, California

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 21, 2020 14:38

Love it! Black & Blue is a great Stones album! I can even stomach Fool To Cry when in the right mood.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 22, 2020 03:39

dcba
audun-eg

Didn't they play it on the Licks Tour?

I doubt it was ever played after the 98 tour.[/quote]

Not on the Licks Tour.

I saw it in 1997. I remember hearing that it was hard live in the big stadium because of the breaks between the chords and the delay in the sound (if that makes any sense).

It was played about 12 times in 1997.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: August 22, 2020 05:54

I love how Mick sings four-letter words like they have about 5 syllables in them!....'BAAAOOOAAAAAWWWLLLAAAHHH and chain.....'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-22 05:56 by ThePaleRider.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 22, 2020 08:47

I remember buying Black and Blue and feeling that Crazy Mama and Hand of Fate didn't really fit. It seemed like they were going in a funky, disco direction, but threw a couple songs in that were 'classic' Stones. The album is actually a mess. Only with time, and a longing for the Golden Era Stones, can I just accept it cut by cut, and be happy about it. I like Crazy Mama now. The album will always be a bit of a rip off. Only 8 songs. And it's not like they were long, drawn out opuses. Just 8 short songs.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: August 22, 2020 09:01

Black and Blue was the first Stones new music I bought, April 1976, I was age 16. I played it so much.

I saw them in the summer of 75 in Chicago, and was hooked.

My high school friend Don Cornell RIP loved Crazy Mama.

Was front row at the Double Door and saw this song played live.

Great song.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 22, 2020 09:20

..love Black & Blue .....
For some crazy reason always thought of
it as their Out Of Our Heads of the 70's ....

Maybe 'cause it careers over diff forms of black music ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 22, 2020 09:26

I really like Black & Blue as well, even more than Some Girls.

Date: August 22, 2020 09:31

Sara use ta dance ta
Black & Blue till she dropped .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 22, 2020 18:42

Black And Blue would really make a great "deluxe" edition, with extended versions of the tracks that's allready there, plus I Love Ladies, Let's do It Right, etc.
And it has the best artwork since Between The Buttons allready - so posters and everything would be great. Hope they do it.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: August 22, 2020 18:58

Erik_Snow
Black And Blue would really make a great "deluxe" edition, with extended versions of the tracks that's allready there, plus I Love Ladies, Let's do It Right, etc.
And it has the best artwork since Between The Buttons allready - so posters and everything would be great. Hope they do it.

Gotta agree with Erik here. And yes the artwork is great! One of the best covers they had.

Date: August 22, 2020 23:01

Let's do It Right

Yeah aint that hip-arse piece of work ....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 23, 2020 20:58

Erik_Snow

I could be wrong but it seems that there can't be true extended versions because nothing was edited to be shorter as it is. Well, later on Slave was edited, twice, and it's very likely Worried About You is how it was recorded.

Date: August 23, 2020 21:15

I first heard Crazy Mama on the original vinyl release of SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES (of which the Virgin reissue sounds the best I think but buying the original with the giant double gleamed tongue it felt like an event). Thought it was fantastic. When I got BLACK AND BLUE I was quite thrilled that it was longer! Love that tune.

Excellently sleazy.

Date: August 23, 2020 21:43

24FPS
I remember buying Black and Blue and feeling that Crazy Mama and Hand of Fate didn't really fit. It seemed like they were going in a funky, disco direction, but threw a couple songs in that were 'classic' Stones. The album is actually a mess. Only with time, and a longing for the Golden Era Stones, can I just accept it cut by cut, and be happy about it. I like Crazy Mama now. The album will always be a bit of a rip off. Only 8 songs. And it's not like they were long, drawn out opuses. Just 8 short songs.

They were long songs. The album is just as long as other Stones albums.

Regarding the rockers, Hey Negrita also deserves a mention, imo smiling smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 24, 2020 01:10

24FPS
Just 8 short songs

Tracklist

Hot Stuff 5:21
Hand Of Fate 4:28
Cherry Oh Baby 3:54
Memory Motel 7:06
Hey Negrita 4:58
Melody 5:48
Fool To Cry 5:02
Crazy Mama 4:32

8 songs : yes
short songs : no

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 24, 2020 09:46

shortfatfanny
24FPS
Just 8 short songs

Tracklist

Agreed. 41:24 was a pretty standard running-time for an LP, too. Perhaps they felt there wasn’t quite enough quality tracks to bolster it to 10, or even 9 tracks.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 24, 2020 10:10

Big Al
shortfatfanny
24FPS
Just 8 short songs

Tracklist

Agreed. 41:24 was a pretty standard running-time for an LP, too. Perhaps they felt there wasn’t quite enough quality tracks to bolster it to 10, or even 9 tracks.

Tracks like "Slave" and "Worried About You"...winking smiley

But the album sounds very good sonically. In order to include an extra track or two I think they should have edited some of the tracks shorter to keep the qood sonic quality (which probably wouldn't have been such a bad idea).

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-24 10:17 by Doxa.

Posted by: exil ()
Date: August 24, 2020 10:47

Just Makes Ya Wont To Smash The Place Up.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 24, 2020 11:23

Erik_Snow

No doubt we'll get it with a previously unrelated track, a dub version of Melody and a remix of Memory Motel. The Stone's will go all out again on the deluxe version and flog it at $150 with a deluxe 48 page hardbound book,

Rod

Date: August 24, 2020 12:32

The Stone's will go all out again on the deluxe version and flog it at $150 with a deluxe 48 page hardbound book,

Hope so ... there's nuffin else
ta spends one's $$$ on at theeeeee moment ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: August 24, 2020 13:57

Erik_Snow

I fully agree about the Black & Blue artwork (incl. the handwritten recording data sheets). The photos taken by Hiro in Florida are fantastic, especially the one chosen for the cover.

previous IORR Thread: "Black and Blue cover/inside photos"

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 24, 2020 14:37

Hi guys! Do you know why Crazy Mama official video it's not avalaible on YT?
[youtu.be]
I can find only "Hey Negrita", "Fool to cry", Hot Stuff...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-24 14:40 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 24, 2020 15:08

Hairball
Funny...thumbs down

MisterDDDD
Crap.
Knew it was just a matter of time before people were able to hack into other peoples accounts here.
((( WHOEVER IS POSTING UNDER HB"S ACCOUNT- YOU'RE NOT FOOLING ANYONE!! )))

Hairball
Everything about the song is great - even Ronnie.
The liner notes as written by Mick at the time the album was made do not say Wood plays on this song. They say Keith and Mick only

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: August 24, 2020 15:17

KRiffhard
[youtu.be]

Strange indeed - I wonder if whoever manages the Stones YouTube channel is aware of this new block. Let's hope the other three B&B videos won't disappear too.

All four Black&Blue videos were shot at Ostseehalle in Kiel, Germany on May 1st, 1976, the day before the Stones concert in the same venue. Director was once again Michael Lindsay-Hogg.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 24, 2020 17:49

TIRED
KRiffhard
[youtu.be]

Strange indeed - I wonder if whoever manages the Stones YouTube channel is aware of this new block. Let's hope the other three B&B videos won't disappear too.

All four Black&Blue videos were shot at Ostseehalle in Kiel, Germany on May 1st, 1976, the day before the Stones concert in the same venue. Director was once again Michael Lindsay-Hogg.

thumbs up

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: August 24, 2020 18:01

exilestones
dcba
audun-eg

"I saw it in 1997. I remember hearing that it was hard live in the big stadium because of the breaks between the chords and the delay in the sound (if that makes any sense).

It was played about 12 times in 1997.
"

I count 17 times in 1997. Also 3 times in 1998: once in Tokyo and twice in Amsterdam.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1915
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home