Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Gram Parsons BBC Documentary - Fallen Angel
Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: August 9, 2020 04:38

Chacho
Aren't there 8 Gram Parsons albums?

Solo:
1. "G.P."
2. "Grievous Angel"

Byrds:
3. "Sweetheart of the Rodeo"

Fallen Angels:
4. "Live 1973"

Flying Burrito Brothers:
5. "Burrito Deluxe"
6. "Sleepless Nights"
7. "Gilded Palace of Sin"

International Submarine Band:
8. "Safe at Home"

In an earlier post I said 5 LPs -- I did not count "Sleepless Nights" or the live album. You can count the International Submarine Band -- it does include "Luxury Liner" but is from a very young Parsons and friends.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: August 9, 2020 05:51

Gandulf Hennig, the director is from Germany, a good musician himself, and he spent a half of a lifetime putting all this together - enjoy, it´s a labour of love!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 10, 2020 01:14

Ah, jbwelda, someone I can relate to! I never could understand the fuss over Gram Parsons...he had a very mediocre voice...at BEST, nothing outstanding I could see...basically he left me cold. I thought that Mick Jagger did the right thing in distancing him from the Stones as much as possible during the recording of EXILE...he was such a horrible druggie and even WORSE influence on Keith...if THAT was even possible. To each his own, I guess. I remember my Dad saying to me " If you can't say something NICE about someone, refrain from saying anything at all."...sorry, Dad, the Devil made me say it!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 10, 2020 03:43

The thing about that supposed Jagger quote telling Parsons to go back to his band, was, I think, meant to be more like "Go back home to mommy, there is no room here for a trust fund dilettante like yourself". The thing is, the guy did have a little talent, it was obvious, but he lacked commitment and he was totally sidetracked by drugs and probably suffering from poor little rich boy syndrome. He needed someone to kick his ass and set his head straight and of course the Rolling Stones were never known for such directness nor assertiveness. Jagger was being kind, in essence, speaking from the position of a professional music maker and giving him some worthwhile advice...completely ignored of course.

That someone would name a song "Hot Burrito #1" when the lyrics had absolutely nothing to do with burritos, hot or not, is just one sign of laziness and just plain not giving a rats ass about anything. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but that's not how you write songs, professionally. Its how you flash in a pan.

I suspect his friendship with Keith was built more upon access to drugs than anything else. Ultimately he did what many trust fund beneficiaries do: got in over his head with hard drugs and left us early in some backwater hovel. There but for the grace of God go many of us. So romantic: die young, leave a pretty corpse for the girls and become a martyr to something, anything. A true rebel without a cause.

Its a shame because he could have developed into something, given some time and effort, but as it was, didn't really achieve much and thats the shame of it.

jb

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: August 10, 2020 04:49

It is almost universally known fact that Gram Parsons
was great, had a big influence on many musicians,
including The Rolling Stones, and would have gone on
to be one of all time big country music stars.

Richards said, "He taught me country, and he taught
me piano".

The negative derogatory crap about Gram Parsons, is
starting to remind me of the likewise negative crap
that always comes up on this forum about
"Emotional Rescue".

Mention Gram Parsons, or "Emotional Rescue", on this
forum, and then the negative crap starts to boil up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-10 04:53 by Chacho.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 10, 2020 04:49

Always thought his voice sounded a bit like Jerry Garcia's.

I met Phil Kaufman a long time ago as Emmylou's road manager, was signing copies of his book...didnt know his involvement with Gram at the time, sure wish I would've got that book now!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 10, 2020 05:59

>It is almost universally known fact that Gram Parsons
>was great, had a big influence on many musicians,
>including The Rolling Stones, and would have gone on
>to be one of all time big country music stars.

If he had not killed himself by ODing on shit he shouldn't have been messing with.

But he did, and it was a waste of talent, but it was the fate of a lot of kids of affluence back then, probably still today. That is my point: he was a kid who needed guidance, in the music world at least, but to just get his rich ass head on straight to begin with.

But I like that: "universally known fact". I always chuckle when I read such wisdom.

jb

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2389
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home