Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The First Album You Ever Bought (or had someone buy for you)
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 9, 2010 05:28

I was nine years old in 1968. One evening I was in a supermarket with my mother and I noticed that at the end of one of the aisles they had a small bin filled with LPs. I talked my mother into buying one for me. I picked out an album by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, basing my decision solely on the fact that I liked the album cover better than any of the others. It was a photo of five guys standing in a field, wearing light blue nehru jackets with faux military insignias sewn on the sleeves.

That was my first album. How 'bout yours?

Re: OT: The First Album You Ever Bought (or had someone buy for you)
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 9, 2010 05:37

Something New - The Beatles

Date: July 9, 2010 05:41

BluzDude
Something New - The Beatles

Which reminds me, my SECOND album, which came out of the very same supermarket bin as the Gary Puckett album, was The Beatles Second Album. Shortly thereafter, I received, as a Xmas present, the brand new White Album. Imagine, if you will, the confusion of a nine year old trying to comprehend that She Loves You and Revolution 9 were by the same group.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 9, 2010 07:33

My mom bought me Meet the Beatles in 1964, when I was 3 1/2. She got my older brother 12 x 5 for Christmas that year. We had older cousins who lived nearby and exposed to all that.

Mom had no great passion about music one way or another, but she recognized that my brothers and I did and helped move that forward. If we got a good report card at school, she's take us to Korvette's and get us either three singles or an album.

I remember her taking us there after I finished first grade in 1967: my older brother got Sgt. Peppers, while I got the latest Monkees album, Headquarters. I remember getting the picture sleeve of JJF/Child of the Moon after second grade and getting Beggars Banquet for Xmas '68 while he got the white album. No doubt I got the better record!

Mom passed away last year, but she planted seeds that will go on forever! My 50th birthday is Sunday, my first without her. She won't be at the party, but she'll no doubt be the biggest presence in the house! Salud!

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 9, 2010 07:46

"The Doors"

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: July 9, 2010 08:41

Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)

x-mas 1966. I was 14 then.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 9, 2010 08:58

first single "Shop Around"

first LP Ray Charles "Genius of Soul"

1966 first trip to London. I was THRILLED when I bought "Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass. The album sleeves of English Lps were a much higher quality.
My friends would look at High Tide with admiration. "The pictures look so much more beautiful on 'an Import.'"

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: July 9, 2010 09:20

i was 8 or 9 yrs old. still have it i belive

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: July 9, 2010 09:26

I'm not sure which came first back in the '60s-Herman's Hermits or Monkees albums. I do, however, recall that the first album I ever got which wasn't by either was Simon & Garfunkel's Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme album. Then after that came the Yellow Submarine OST from The Beatles.

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: July 9, 2010 10:55

My first album as a 4 year old was "The Rolling Stones, Now!"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 9, 2010 10:59

Bet ya can't guess......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: paco ()
Date: July 9, 2010 11:37

Status Quo - Dog of two head at 11 or 12

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 9, 2010 12:25

and

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 9, 2010 14:05

The first albums I bought myself were Emotional Rescue and Some Girls.

I got Tattoo You and Undercover as gifts just before that. Then I was bitten by the bug, LOL!

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: July 9, 2010 14:42

The Sweet "Biggest Hits".
Okay, I was ten yeaers old then...
It took my pocket-money for a whole month.
One month without comic-books or ice-cream - that was really hard.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 9, 2010 14:54

The Beatles second ablum. At 7 years old (1971) I remember waiting daily for it to come in the mail. When I opened it I felt like a millionaire. Still like that record a lot, though I prefer Rubber Soul or Revolver. Unfortunately I wasn't into The Stones until 1980. Since then they've been my favorite band.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: July 9, 2010 15:28

The Beatles Live at the Hollywood Bowl. I was 7. Great energy, but deafening, screechy crowd noise. I can see why it was never issued on cd... but if it was, I'd snatch it up!

First Stones album a year or so later... Got Live If You Want It! Another ok live album. I guess I really liked the live stuff when I was a kid! Still do!

(BTW, ghostryder, that is maybe the funniest LP cover I have EVER seen. That is a real keeper!)

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: July 9, 2010 15:32

Black & Blue when it came out

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 9, 2010 16:12

Thriller

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: July 9, 2010 16:21

The Beatles: 1967-70 (second hand) in 1975 - I bought it from a
schoolmate, four or five years my senior. I was ten years old.

The guy had also offered Revolver to me - little did I know then...

Runners up:
The Sweet: Strung Up; I bought that shortly after
Led Zeppelin: Physical Graffiti (got it for Christmas)

You see, I had a weak spot for double albums from day one ;-)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-09 16:48 by Greenblues.

Posted by: JordiStones ()
Date: July 9, 2010 16:42

Rolling Stones - Get yer ya-ya's out

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: July 9, 2010 16:45

Not counting an album of John Phillip Sousa marches that my dad bought for me when I was very little, the first rock and roll record bought for me was by my mom, in February 1964.

INTRODUCING THE BEATLES, on Vee Jay records, which Capitol released a year or so later under the title of EARLY BEATLES.

Played that danged thing to death.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 9, 2010 17:06

The Bear Necessities and I Wanna Be Like You-oo-oo...need I say more. A classic!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 9, 2010 17:07

Phil Good
Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)

x-mas 1966. I was 14 then.

That would make you 58 now.

Date: July 9, 2010 17:08

stonesrule
first single "Shop Around"

I remember visiting a friend's house right around the time I started collecting LPs. She was a year older than me and had a box of 45s that she had placed numbered stickers on and cataloged according to the order in which she had purchased them. It was all stuff that was current at the time ('67-'68). I listened to all her singles and then told my mom I wanted her to get me Hey Jude. This was in the spring of '69 and Hey Jude had already dropped off the charts. The guy at the department store (or wherever she tried to buy it) didn't have it any more. So she bought me the NEW Beatles single instead. Get Back/Don't Let Me Down. (I think my second single was Hair by the Cowsills.) A little later, I was in Macy's with my mom (they had a record department in those days), and I asked the guy if he had any new Beatles records. He was quite a good salesman because he placed a copy of Give Peace A Chance by The Plastic Ono Band in front of me and convinced me that it was "really a Beatles record". I think he even went so far as to tell me that the Beatles had "changed their name", and were now known as the Plastic Ono Band. As I say, you can imagine how confusing (but also how fascinating) it was to be a nine-year-old Beatles fan in 1969.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-10 01:44 by tatters.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 9, 2010 17:09

I know this is setting myself up for a bashing, however, Elvis Golden Records, in 1977.

First Stones, Emotional Rescue, 1980.

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: July 9, 2010 17:42

The first album I ever got was a cassette tape of 52nd Street by Billy Joel when I was 7. My mom got it for me because I would song along to "Big Shot" whenever it came on the radio.

The first record I ever bought with my own money was "Crimes of Passion" by Pat Benatar. I loved her (and still do). In fact, I'm seeing her in concert this weekend...old habits die hard.

The first Stones record I bought was some Italian compilation...La Historia de la Rock.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: July 9, 2010 18:08

Pink Floyd: Another Brick in the Wall 45 single

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: July 9, 2010 19:07

A record player and the Yellow Sub album for Christmas, 1972. Age 8. My older sister got Abbey Road that year, which my parents allowed her to play on the living room stereo as the rest of the presents were opened. Paul's swampy keyboard solo burned a groove into my mind that remains today.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 9, 2010 19:32

My parents got me the cassette of Sgt. Peppers and I was about 8. I was mesmerized! A new world unfolded, fantasy, and visions I didn't know were possible. Next my babysitter gave me a cassette he made of The Beatles (White album) and I could not stop listening to it. Parts of it scared me, excited me, and captivated me for an entire summer.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1525
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home