Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ladies and Gentlemen official release
Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: June 28, 2010 18:50

Sorry, another post on this. I haven't heard anything recently (within the last month or two) IF or WHEN this movie would be "officially" released by the Stones on DVD. Any new info?

Any word if either the soundtrack or something else commemorating the '72 tour will be released on CD? It sure would be nice to have something official even though many of the bootlegs are quite good. The Stones did record many shows and have stated publicly numerous times that it was their intention to release a live "record" of this tour. Allen Klein got in the way of course, but he is no longer an issue.

Thanks for any info.

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen official release
Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: June 28, 2010 21:11

dvd end of the year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-28 21:13 by carlostones10.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: June 29, 2010 14:56

As mentionned in a previous post, the official release date from Eagle Rock as of today is October 18.

That's 2 months before Christmas, so maybe they will reschedule it for November to optimize sales and promo coverage, who knows...

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: June 29, 2010 14:58

And when will it be in the cinema's in Europe?

Mr.Fancyman

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: June 29, 2010 16:06

This is info on the film from wikipedia - I wonder if they can include "Rocks Off" as a bonus track??

Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones
Directed by Rollin Binzer
Produced by Rollin Binzer, Marshall Chess
Starring The Rolling Stones
Music by The Rolling Stones
Cinematography Steve Gebhardt, Bob Freeze
Editing by Laura Lesser, Barbara Palmer
Distributed by Dragonaire Ltd.
Release date(s) 1974
Running time 83 min
Country USA
Language English

Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones is a concert movie featuring the British rock band The Rolling Stones that was first released in 1974. It was filmed in 16mm by Bob Freeze and Steve Gebhardt (Butterfly Films owned by John Lennon) during 4 shows in Ft. Worth and Houston, Texas during the band's 1972 North American Tour in support of their classic 1972 album Exile on Main St..

The film was blown up to 35 mm with a "fluid gate" process for theatrical release. The concerts were recorded in 32 tracks and the soundtrack was mixed in Twickenham Studios in England. In its initial U.S. theatrical run it was released in "Quadrasound" which was a variation of the four-track magnetic sound format. Instead of the usual right, centre, left and single surround tracks, Quadrasound fed right and left screen speakers and right and left (split surround) speakers.

The objective of the quadraphonic sound recording was to transform the 650 seat motion picture theatre auditorium into the auditory phenomenon of a 10,000 seat rock 'n roll arena. The film began before most audience members even realized it: a black screen and quadraphonic audience noise fooled theatergoers into accepting the recorded ambience as coming from their own venue, intensifying the aural intimacy when the Stones began to play.

The film was sold by The Rolling Stones as a tax-incentive based venture capital investment. Nine (9) separate investment groups competed to acquire the film, and the winning group formed Dragonaire Ltd., a one-film distribution company that was formed to "four-wall" the film throughout the United States.

In accordance with the Rolling Stones' contractual requirements, Dragonaire Ltd. proceeded to rent theatres on a "four-wall" basis for limited engagements in major markets (commencing at the Ziegfeld Theatre in New York City on 15 April, 1974) and sell tickets not only at the theatre but also through concert ticket vendors such as Ticketron for the limited engagements. The objective here was to create a limited access single venue event that fans could access from any ticket seller in town.

The Quadraphonic presentation of Ladies and Gentlemen... required a 44 JBL driver sound system (four systems were built and used by Dragonaire in its road show performances of the film). Each sound system was capable of generating 3300 Watts RMS, and was transported to each venue in a 14 ft. bed truck.

Played at 100 dbA in evening and midnight performances, the sound track had to be mixed by a sound engineer based on the number of people in the audience in order to achieve optimal clarity. Sound engineers accompanied the road show presentations.

The film was played in limited road show engagements during which advertising was stopped (want ads were used after the first two markets) because the word of mouth for the film increased attendance every day throughout the run.

Limited engagements were conducted in New York, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Houston, Chicago, Miami, and Los Angeles before the picture was sold to Plitt Theatres which released the film in a "flat" screen monaural version.

The Rolling Stones re-claimed the film from No Moss Partners, the original investment limited partnership in the late 90s, and "Ladies and Gentlemen..." has not been seen since.

As of 2010, the film has never had an official home video or DVD release anywhere in the world. On March 18, 2010 a statement on the internet announced that the film will see home release on DVD and Blu - Ray in November 2010. In the early 80s it was released in Australia on VHS by Video Classics and is widely available on bootleg DVD versions.

Contents [hide]
1 Setlist
2 Band members
3 Additional musicians
4 External links

[edit] Setlist
The tracks in the film followed the running order of a typical setlist of the 1972 tour (with the exception of "Dead Flowers," which was played at one of the filmed shows in Ft. Worth and only occasionally elsewhere on the tour). The song "Rocks Off," which was played at all the 1972 tour shows was notably absent from the film.

"Brown Sugar"
"Bitch"
"Gimme Shelter"
"Dead Flowers"
"Happy"
"Tumbling Dice"
"Love in Vain"
"Sweet Virginia"
"You Can't Always Get What You Want"
"All Down the Line"
"Midnight Rambler"
"Bye Bye Johnny"
"Rip This Joint"
"Jumping Jack Flash"
"Street Fighting Man"

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 29, 2010 17:44

Wow!

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: June 29, 2010 20:52

honestly, I am looking much more forward to this DVD release than I was the latest version of Exile - probably because I have Exile on original vinyl (sounds fabulous still) and also the Virgin remaster was fine; no need to triplicate for me.

This DVD is different; sure I have the various boots of it in differing quality depending on the source (the best ones aren't too bad), but I can't wait to hear this and see this one all cleaned up and restored. The few clips you get of it on Stones in Exile - the colour is fantastic. Jagger's jumpsuit is actully BLUE and not grainy-greyish. I hope there is a bonus DVD of other performances from that tour, other tracks, and perhaps an audio CD of the film as well, equally restored. The 72 boot stuff out there is just ok, in my opinion, soundwise, no matter the source.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 29, 2010 23:49

stones77
honestly, I am looking much more forward to this DVD release than I was the latest version of Exile - probably because I have Exile on original vinyl (sounds fabulous still) and also the Virgin remaster was fine; no need to triplicate for me.

This DVD is different; sure I have the various boots of it in differing quality depending on the source (the best ones aren't too bad), but I can't wait to hear this and see this one all cleaned up and restored. The few clips you get of it on Stones in Exile - the colour is fantastic. Jagger's jumpsuit is actully BLUE and not grainy-greyish. I hope there is a bonus DVD of other performances from that tour, other tracks, and perhaps an audio CD of the film as well, equally restored. The 72 boot stuff out there is just ok, in my opinion, soundwise, no matter the source.

Agreed! I can't believe the people who thinks the boots are fine. A fully restored proper release is so much better. And those live recordings deserve an official release to a wider audience, if nothing else for the sake of history.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: June 30, 2010 00:24

I like the idea of a 72/73 package - showing for one and all the stones at the peak of their powers.Not sure what concerts from 73 were filmed, or the quality of such if they were.A live audio CD fromm this era would also be fantastic.But hey - if they only choose to give us the L&G movie - I will still buy it and be grateful for its official release.

Posted by: susannewortmann ()
Date: July 8, 2010 16:42

What I heard it's just the blu ray and DVD release with the movie and some, yet to be determined bonus footage! I was actually little dissapointed by the quality on the Exile bonus disc but it's far better than the,so far ultimate, Genuine Masters version. Hope they do a major clean up for the blu ray, especially the sound, which was already great on the Exile disc, despite the fact it was a meager D 2.0 track instead of a nice linear PCM track or DTS HD audio track on the Blu Ray. Can't wait!

Oh and Carlos, in Brazil it will be out in November/December at least that's what I saw recently when I was at Lojas Americanas!

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: July 8, 2010 19:08

I wonder if they will re-edit this film? It would be very tempting for them to go back to the master reels, make a new edit... Maybe incorporate other footage, from other sources (the Led Zeppelin DVD set did a fantastic job of splicing Super-8 footage and such to spruce up old footage).

Please don't get me wrong, I absolutely do not think that the Stones should do this for "Ladies and Gentlemen". I think the film should be presented as it was originally created. But I know the temptation will be there for them to mess with it

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 8, 2010 20:59

well this is, and always has been, a miracle touchstone; in many ways absolute ground zero of the 'greatest rock and roll band in the world' and proving it with singular focus, as if the very world depended on it. this unit down to serious business from start to finish. serious biz. to have this finally in the best possible (one hopes not remixing and frigging it up) sonic and visual condition; well it's history; and it's the ultimate barometer for me. tho i adore the more down home stones of banquet, i just am out of mind in love with banquets...the sf exoms onslaught, and the singles floating around at the time, some of them anyway...were all here like the daily news. it's forever fresh. the ultimate barometer in that peeps who dig this; are fascinated by it, laugh and get off on it; are stones peeps i understand. peeps who don't, i guess i don't fully understand what draws them. bill wyman showcase. twin guitars from heaven and hell; a showcase. note by note chuck berry lead by keith while his guitar spirit and body are pushing it in front of a train and hauling ass. pink cowboy hat; beating johnny rotten's sublime sense of irony by five years...this is it.
stewart and hopkins. beat me daddy eight to the bar are you keeding me??? rip this joing and round and round and round we go...this shit is intense. wow. bring it.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 8, 2010 21:13

Beelyboy
well this is, and always has been, a miracle touchstone; in many ways absolute ground zero of the 'greatest rock and roll band in the world' and proving it with singular focus, as if the very world depended on it. this unit down to serious business from start to finish. serious biz. to have this finally in the best possible (one hopes not remixing and frigging it up) sonic and visual condition; well it's history; and it's the ultimate barometer for me. tho i adore the more down home stones of banquet, i just am out of mind in love with banquets...the sf exoms onslaught, and the singles floating around at the time, some of them anyway...were all here like the daily news. it's forever fresh. the ultimate barometer in that peeps who dig this; are fascinated by it, laugh and get off on it; are stones peeps i understand. peeps who don't, i guess i don't fully understand what draws them. bill wyman showcase. twin guitars from heaven and hell; a showcase. note by note chuck berry lead by keith while his guitar spirit and body are pushing it in front of a train and hauling ass. pink cowboy hat; beating johnny rotten's sublime sense of irony by five years...this is it.
stewart and hopkins. beat me daddy eight to the bar are you keeding me??? rip this joing and round and round and round we go...this shit is intense. wow. bring it.
Too much sun old chap...hit the shade with nice cool G&T

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: July 9, 2010 00:29

Hey mice - go away.

Beely - I for one DO WANT extra footage, especially the stuff from the East Coast
swing, Philly N.Y. whatever they have in the can that was filmed (video & audio)
hopefully. Although these Texas gigs were very good, the east coast gigs were
"KILLER!!!"

MLC

Posted by: stonesseventytwo ()
Date: July 9, 2010 00:59

Geez, i wish someone would just give us a release date and some details instead of all this infantile rhapsodizing and speculation about what is going to be on the disc. Get a life

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: July 9, 2010 01:05

72 - It's to be released at the end of the year, after it comes out in the cinemas
soon so go see it at your local moviehouse..

MLC

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: July 9, 2010 06:03

stonesseventytwo
Geez, i wish someone would just give us a release date and some details instead of all this infantile rhapsodizing and speculation about what is going to be on the disc. Get a life

Sounds like somebody put on their cranky pants today

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 10, 2010 19:49

stonesseventytwo

haw troll alert. two months in this character. the same as at least three other iorr names here; banned and back. a stalker. 'infantile rhapsodizing' 'get a life'...
wow an internet troll. on a fan chat board. stalking and hating. wow. that's too sad. multiple identities; each of them adding up to a kind of desperation that's truly more sad that it is insulting; whatever the hatred at the core of such ruination.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home