Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"Out Of Tears" vs "Streets Of Love" - 1 loved, 1 hated - Why?
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 25, 2010 20:14

Similar songs - slow with lots of repetition of lyrics. Even 3 word titles with "of" in the middle. Why is OOT considered so good while SOL is roundly hated?

Your opinion please.

Re: "Out Of Tears" vs "Streets Of Love" - 1 loved, 1 hated - Why?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 25, 2010 20:19

i roundly hate them both, if that helps.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 25, 2010 20:24

I also dislike both. But Out Of Tears doesn't make me angry like Streets Of Love does.
Out Of Tears is just a "meaningless radio ballad" - while Streets Of Love is an insult.

Date: June 25, 2010 20:26

Erik_Snow
I also dislike both. But Out Of Tears doesn't make me angry like Streets Of Love does.
Out Of Tears is just a "meaningless radio ballad" - while Streets Of Love is an insult.

yeah. different depths of hatred. perhaps it would be more accurate to loathe one and despise the other. never understood the attraction that OOT has for some. banal is the word that best describes it. even a relatively decent woody slide solo fails to rescue it from its banality.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 25, 2010 20:30

Neither is as bad as, say, "Hey Soul Sister" by Train - currently ruining the airwaves.

The line about Mister, Mister may be the worst rhyme in the history of music.

Come on, Keef, bang us out some nice Open-G riff and let's get rockin' again!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 25, 2010 20:37

StonesTod
Erik_Snow

yeah. different depths of hatred. perhaps it would be more accurate to loathe one and despise the other. never understood the attraction that OOT has for some. banal is the word that best describes it. even a relatively decent woody slide solo fails to rescue it from its banality.

Yes.....yes, I agree.

Date: June 25, 2010 20:39

Elmo Lewis
Neither is as bad as, say, "Hey Soul Sister" by Train - currently ruining the airwaves.

avoid the airwaves and they won't bother you....

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: June 25, 2010 21:24

No use for either of them. True WTF? moments the first time I heard both, I have gone out of my way to avoid them since.

The one good thing I have to say about Out Of Tears is that the CD single has I'm Gonna Drive on it. Although that is hardly a barn burner either.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 25, 2010 22:18

I did originally like Out Of Tears ... and never did feel it with Streets Of Love. I think the main reason for me is that they are too similar, and it kind of annoyed me that they re-did almost the exact same song. I guess they're both similar to Almost Hear You Sigh so I'm not sure why I didn't get annoyed with OOT to begin with -- perhaps sub-conscientiously i was annoyed they actually went there a 3rd time with Streets Of Love.

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: June 25, 2010 22:30

OOT at least has some signature Keith strumming in the background, giving it a little soul. The thing with SOL is that THE ENTIRE TRACK MUSICALLY HAS NO HINT OF THE STONES IN IT - could have been played by any faceless studio hacks - totally generic

Posted by: squando ()
Date: June 26, 2010 03:46

I think Jagger's delivery in SOL bugs alot of people, particularly the verses. I don't mind the track but skip it quite frequently when listening to ABB although I always skip THIE and SNC and "Infamy".

OOT has a much more believable Jagger approach and delivery. Also the piano work by Chuck is first class and is a very big hook during the verses. Then you have Ron's lead which is great (That said the bridge to which Keith leads over in SOL is great too). Finally I think the chorus is stronger in OOT. Nice production by Was as well.

I see what you mean in that the format of both songs is very similar and to be honest I'd not spotted it before. However I give OOT 9.5/10 and SOL 6/10. Weird what a few small nuances can make hey?

Really good thread and I'm sorry you have the usual dick about town as always adding nothing but rubbish to it.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: June 26, 2010 03:51

Elmo Lewis
On the radio, MONO!
Yes, I always hit the button when that garbage comes up.

Back on topic, Streets of Love is hated because of its lyrics and the way Mick sings them, both of which are awful bad.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 26, 2010 04:44

To me, OOT is by far the better song. SOL is OK but OOT seems to be more sincerely delivered by Mick and I love Ron's guitar work.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: June 26, 2010 04:53

two amazing love songs.

Date: June 26, 2010 06:59

OOT is miles better. at least to me is seemed very ballsy for the stones to do that tune in the mid 90's and on an album that rocked out pretty hard

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 26, 2010 09:30

Out of Tears is middle-of-the-raod, nothing special or new kind of song. I don't hate it, but it's just kind of there in the background. I liked it in 1994 but it hasn't really stood the test of time for me I guess.

Streets of Love makes me feel carsick even if I'm sitting in the backyard.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: June 26, 2010 10:52

maybe i dislike out of tears more than streets of love, don´t know why. but I remember when VL came out I couldn´t stand out of tears and NEVER ever played it since (as far as I remember)

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: June 26, 2010 11:55

both good songs.

some of you should start to get over with sol and realize there are a lot of worse songs on abb.

Date: June 26, 2010 15:31

stoneswashed77
both good songs.

some of you should start to get over with sol and realize there are a lot of worse songs on abb.

there are a few songs that are worse but they weren't singles

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 26, 2010 15:47

My two cents:

OOT is a soulful, hypnotic, beautifully-produced, lyrically clever, and catchy ballad, with gorgeous piano and guitar.

SOL is a banal, trite, synthetic, overblown piece of garbage.

Drew

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: June 26, 2010 16:48

They both sound forced to me.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 26, 2010 16:55

OOT has a great solo by Ronnie Wood, the song is decent, SOL is far too simple even for a stonessong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-26 16:56 by windmelody.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 26, 2010 16:58

Both are better than "In the air tonight" and "Mull of Kintyre" or whatever crap that came / comes out of P Collins / Macca's mouth - so, cheer up, Stones isn't as bad as some people here on the baord wants it to be.
It is a matter of taste / liking.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 26, 2010 17:31

Streets Of Shit is just a piece of shit song. It's got lyrics that are out of touch with any form of reality, it's tuneless, it's boring, it's shit.

Out Of Tears is brilliant when compared to Streets. It's very tuneful, it's got an excellent (slide) solo by Woody, some nice guitar by Keith, great drumming by Charlie and Mick even actually sings it pretty good. It's even better lyrically.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 26, 2010 17:51

squando
(That said the bridge to which Keith leads over in SOL is great too).

that's not keith on SoL.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 27, 2010 00:01

Let's say that SOL is a slow mid-tempo with some classics Stones guitar.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: June 27, 2010 00:29

windmelody
OOT has a great solo by Ronnie Wood, the song is decent, SOL is far too simple even for a stonessong.
ya i give the edge to oot thanks to ronnie's solo, even though the melody is a clunker. sol is just awful bad.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: June 27, 2010 10:36

"Streets Of Love" borrows heavily from "Out Of Tears".

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: June 27, 2010 17:36

I don't know that Out of Tears is loved. It was briefly tolerated 15 years ago. I used to spoof the lyrics "I won't cry if you wave goodbye 'til I'm out of beer."

Streets of Love, however, was instantly despised as the calculated piece of crap that it is.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: June 27, 2010 23:58

mtaylor, you're spot on!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1844
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home