Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Let's nitpick the Stones' studio albums
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 23, 2010 18:19

Stones Blah
On the sacd version of the Let It Bleed album listen to You Can't Always Get What You Want. Just as the choir fades the guitar is on the right channel the french horn is on the left. Running from about 51s mark to approx. 55s mark you can hear some strange noise in the left channel. Best heard with headphones and balance all the way to the left turn up loud and you can hear Midnight Rambler. Listen and you will hear a harp. break part of MR!!!!!!!!

Dang! You are right! Talk about a curiosity. I checked it playing on Spotify (a medium resolution ogg-compressed stream), using headphones, without any balance control, and I was able to hear it! I wonder how MR ended up there.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 23, 2010 18:22

jamesfdouglas
There's TONS of original-vocals bleeding into the overdubbed live ones on both Ya-Ya's and Love You Live. TONS! The worst is Honky Tonk on Ya-Ya's - Mick overdubbed that stupid (imo) verse about the sailors over the divorcee verse - it dones't take a lot of straining to hear the original one coming through.

I honestly never thought about the bleed/double vocals before. But they are very obvious indeed. Sounds fine, though, like sloppy double tracking that kinda fades in and out a little. Maybe they left it that way on purpose, to fatten it up. And sometimes when Keith joins in there are three vocals at the same time.

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: June 23, 2010 23:36

i have always been of the mind that there is a really bad tape edit in tumbling dice when the song kicks back in after the breakdown @ the bridge? anyone know what i am talking about?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 24, 2010 00:50

Tumbling Dice bit, I don't know.

Bleed through from other things, whether it be live vocals during the bottom recording or print bleed from the master, yeah.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 24, 2010 01:00

canadian.sway
i have always been of the mind that there is a really bad tape edit in tumbling dice when the song kicks back in after the breakdown @ the bridge? anyone know what i am talking about?

yeah, that's the point where Jimmy Miller takes over on drums.

Date: June 24, 2010 11:55

There are ghost vocals clearly audible all over Worried About You as well smiling smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 24, 2010 15:31

Can hear Midnight Rambler in that bit of YCAGWYW on Forty Licks. That's hilarious!

Tumbling Dice bit - it's a punch in but I don't hear anything 'bad' about it. The funniness of where the snare sits is most likely a tape anomaly.

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: August 16, 2015 12:01

I wonder if "Midnight Rambler" being overdubbed onto between the 50/55-second mark of "You Can't Always Get What You Want" was the result of the master tape being put on a recorder rather than a playback-only mastering deck, a la Stan Ricker's treatment of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon for Mobile Fidelity which had some Supertramp song overdubbed onto the end of "Breathe"?

~Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-16 12:24 by BrianJones1969.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 16, 2015 17:59

BrianJones1969
I wonder if "Midnight Rambler" being overdubbed onto between the 50/55-second mark of "You Can't Always Get What You Want" was the result of the master tape being put on a recorder rather than a playback-only mastering deck, a la Stan Ricker's treatment of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon for Mobile Fidelity which had some Supertramp song overdubbed onto the end of "Breathe"?

~Ben

I think this was just the result previously erased tapes (which still had traces of the erased tune) being used for the recording of YCAGWYW. It is my understanding that in those days tape was considered too valuable to always use new ones and erasing and reusing the tape was common practice.

Posted by: BIGJAMFAN ()
Date: August 17, 2015 00:06

Just reading this stuff makes me CRAZY!!!!hot smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 17, 2015 01:34

It's awesome, studio recording details.

The live vocal bleedthrough on LOVE YOU LIVE will always haunt me.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: August 17, 2015 05:38

In "Dazed & Confused" a guide vocal is audible during the break down before the violin bow part happens.

And on "Shattered" Mick's guide vocal can be heard. On the Some Girls album it was rather tricky to keep the guide vocal out at all given how they recorded. Chris Kimsey set up a small PA system with the speakers on each side of Charlie's kit. Mick's guide vocal, the kick and the snare were fed into that PA (which colored the drum sound in a great way), and in this set-up Keith and Ronnie were both able to cut tracks without wearing headphones. But it did mean for some guide vocal bleed that couldn't be gotten rid of without messing with the drum sound.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 17, 2015 05:52

Miss You has the best live vocal bleed through of all the tracks on SOME GIRLS. I've never noticed it on Shattered. I don't recall any on BEGGARS BANQUET but LET IT BLEED has some, as does SF, EOMS, GHS and B&B.

ER, TY and U are pretty clean, I don't recall any vocal bleed through on those albums. In fact, with exception to How Can I Stop I can't recall any vocal bleed through on anything from ER onward.

The best one ever in a non-Jagger way is Ronnie's laugh in How Can I Stop.

Posted by: caesar ()
Date: August 17, 2015 10:59

(Can't delete message)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-20 14:51 by caesar.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: August 17, 2015 13:54

There's some noise at about the 2:21 mark on Rocks Off. I don't know if it's someone talking or singing.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1555
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home